ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier post Fiesta Bowl Interview

Spurrier always looks so whiny to me when he's on the sideline, but he actually seems like a really good coach. Tells it like it is even if it's against his own team.

Reactions: kakdawg
I watched a more recent interview (5 to 10 years ago or so) of Spurrier talking about their 96 season where they lost to FSU and then beat them in the sugar bowl for the natty. He said they were lucky since we had lost to Texas and that in the current system, ASU would have played FSU in the title game. He also talked about what a dirty team he thought FSU was. Said they hit wuerrfel late constantly and talked about how they were trying to hurt him. He then went out of the way to say that FSU didn't play that way any more under Jimbo.

I watched a more recent interview (5 to 10 years ago or so) of Spurrier talking about their 96 season where they lost to FSU and then beat them in the sugar bowl for the natty. He said they were lucky since we had lost to Texas and that in the current system, ASU would have played FSU in the title game. He also talked about what a dirty team he thought FSU was. Said they hit wuerrfel late constantly and talked about how they were trying to hurt him. He then went out of the way to say that FSU didn't play that way any more under Jimbo.

#1 thing I remember about FSU in the 90's was how their defense was always going after the opposing team's QB. It seemed like their front seven would knock a QB out of the game every other time I watched them. The Blackshirts were the same way during that period. Many QBs knocked senseless. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that we both dominated that decade.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

I remember Mickey Andrews(FSU DC during the Bowden era) was often suspected of encouraging dirty play. Supposedly he would tell his players to play to the "echo of the whistle".

I remember Mickey Andrews(FSU DC during the Bowden era) was often suspected of encouraging dirty play. Supposedly he would tell his players to play to the "echo of the whistle".

Great defenses are intimidating. Sometimes that needs to be after the whistle kind of work in order to let the other team know that the whistle isn't their saving grace.

Many of us remember those late '80s and early '90s Miami and Florida State teams that intimidated us. Not till 1992 when Tommie Frazier stood up to Florida State, while we lost by 2 TDs. did we get some kind of respect.

And then 1993 happened. 17 point underdogs. It was "All The Right Moves" movie kind of thing in which we won that game, but we didn't.

Maybe that was needed before the magic happened.

Reactions: bigboxes
Spurrier always looks so whiny to me when he's on the sideline, but he actually seems like a really good coach. Tells it like it is even if it's against his own team.

Kinda why I like Roy Williams from UNC. He's the same way when his team loses. He will call it like he sees without making a bunch of excuses.

I know many people on here don't care for Roy but its the truth. Then many love coach K when he is the epitome of a coach who makes hella excuses when his teams don't perform well. His favorite is how young they are. To which I say when are you gonna stop using that excuse? You are young because you recruit.4-5 all Americans yearly who leave every year. You CHOOSE to be young and THEN turn around and use it as an excuse when you lose....ESPECIALLY to a more experienced team. Oh...and the ever present "we don't have any depth". Uhhhh, AGAIN you chose to be top heavy by the way you recruit so how do you use THAT as an excuse.

Sorry for rambling but I always admire coaches ho can say we got our asses handed to us by a great team. Without making a bunch of excuses or down playing how well the other team played.

Holla

Kinda why I like Roy Williams from UNC. He's the same way when his team loses. He will call it like he sees without making a bunch of excuses.

I know many people on here don't care for Roy but its the truth. Then many love coach K when he is the epitome of a coach who makes hella excuses when his teams don't perform well. His favorite is how young they are. To which I say when are you gonna stop using that excuse? You are young because you recruit.4-5 all Americans yearly who leave every year. You CHOOSE to be young and THEN turn around and use it as an excuse when you lose....ESPECIALLY to a more experienced team. Oh...and the ever present "we don't have any depth". Uhhhh, AGAIN you chose to be top heavy by the way you recruit so how do you use THAT as an excuse.

Sorry for rambling but I always admire coaches ho can say we got our asses handed to us by a great team. Without making a bunch of excuses or down playing how well the other team played.

Holla

WTF are you talking about. Roy makes every excuse under the bus and literally throws his own players under the bus while K gives the opponent every ounce of respect after defeat.

Roy’s a good ole dude who tells it like it is etc
But it’s also hard to believe that he had no idea about the ‘North Carolina way’ of academic support, etc

And can we all stop pretending that Coach K and Duke are completely above board too?

Always liked Spurrier and Bowden btw

Reactions: kakdawg
WTF are you talking about. Roy makes every excuse under the bus and literally throws his own players under the bus while K gives the opponent every ounce of respect after defeat.

Roy calls it like it is...when his team plays like ass and gives.shitty effort he says just that! YOH call that throwing his team under the bus. I call that telling it like it is!

But dont get it confused. Roy has said on more times than I can count " we coached like crap"! Again he calls it like he sees it REGARDLESS of who it may offend. He holds himself,his coaches,AND his players accountable. For whatever reason people.have a problem with that. It doesn't bother me one bit when its the truth. I don't now how much ACC basketball you watch but my favorite basketball team is in the ACC and I've been watching ACC basketball since 1980 back when Roy was an assistant on Dean Smiths bench. Roy is probably the most sincere blue blood coach in the country. There is no BS with him and I love that in a coach.

Coach k will blame officials, he will blame, depth, he will blame youth, he will "claim" to be giving young men "advice" to the media and basically later you find out it was a bold face lie. Coach K is one of the biggest fakes in the game. I'm not even speak on the Grayson Allen episodes and how K reacted.. OR DIDNT react. You wanna see coach K at his finest watch him in the handshake line against UNC ANYTIME he loses. Hes fine when he's winning but not so much when he loses. ESPECIALLY in a "big game"

Again I don't have a problem with him the coach. Imo he isn't near as good a coach as he was 20 years ago. But that's jmo so it doesn't mean much. I just think his entire image of "Mr basketball" is a fraud. I tend to like coaches who are just as ez to admit when they got clobbered while giving the praise to the team that earned it. While admitting I coached a bad game. By pointing out when his players gives poor effort as well. I have no problems when coaches call it like it is.

Coach K may go down as the best college basketball of all time. That is very possible but the guy in the last 10 years or so has become a fraud imo.

Holla

Roy calls it like it is...when his team plays like ass and gives.shitty effort he says just that! YOH call that throwing his team under the bus. I call that telling it like it is!

But dont get it confused. Roy has said on more times than I can count " we coached like crap"! Again he calls it like he sees it REGARDLESS of who it may offend. He holds himself,his coaches,AND his players accountable. For whatever reason people.have a problem with that. It doesn't bother me one bit when its the truth. I don't now how much ACC basketball you watch but my favorite basketball team is in the ACC and I've been watching ACC basketball since 1980 back when Roy was an assistant on Dean Smiths bench. Roy is probably the most sincere blue blood coach in the country. There is no BS with him and I love that in a coach.

Coach k will blame officials, he will blame, depth, he will blame youth, he will "claim" to be giving young men "advice" to the media and basically later you find out it was a bold face lie. Coach K is one of the biggest fakes in the game. I'm not even speak on the Grayson Allen episodes and how K reacted.. OR DIDNT react. You wanna see coach K at his finest watch him in the handshake line against UNC ANYTIME he loses. Hes fine when he's winning but not so much when he loses. ESPECIALLY in a "big game"

Again I don't have a problem with him the coach. Imo he isn't near as good a coach as he was 20 years ago. But that's jmo so it doesn't mean much. I just think his entire image of "Mr basketball" is a fraud. I tend to like coaches who are just as ez to admit when they got clobbered while giving the praise to the team that earned it. While admitting I coached a bad game. By pointing out when his players gives poor effort as well. I have no problems when coaches call it like it is.

Coach K may go down as the best college basketball of all time. That is very possible but the guy in the last 10 years or so has become a fraud imo.

Holla

Roy is a joke.....

Roy is a joke.....

That's your opinion of him and that's fine. He's not my coach so personally I don't have a dog in fight. I like what he stands for as a coach. To me its being honest all the time. I'm good with that. Some people can't handle that and want things sugar coated to protect whoever or whatever. To each his own.

BTW..I'm not really high on Roy the "ball coach". Don't think he's near the coach that some others are. I just think he's sincere and brutally honest. Rare traits from coaches these days. Especially the guy down in Durham.

Holla

Roy’s a good ole dude who tells it like it is etc
But it’s also hard to believe that he had no idea about the ‘North Carolina way’ of academic support, etc

And can we all stop pretending that Coach K and Duke are completely above board too?

Always liked Spurrier and Bowden btw

I can agree with that for.the most part. I also liked Spurrier and Bowden for similar reasons. Idk if Roy knew about the classes or not but if I'm GUESSING yes. I could go on and on on K. He has most of the country fooled.

Holla

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT