ADVERTISEMENT

Spring scrimmage vs. FCS club?

It might be difficult to convince a Mo Valley team to take some time off during their eight-game, nine-week schedule that begins on Feb. 19 and ends on April 17, with the top two or three teams headed to the 16-team (down from 24) FCS playoffs that will run from April 24 through May.

It would be easier to convince an FCS program such as Drake, which plays a five-game slate starting in mid-March and ending on April 17, to tack on a game after that in Memorial Stadium. Other Pioneer League teams, FCS independents and HBCUs — all of which are not as focused on the playoffs as the MVC, Colonial and others — would probably be more likely to do something like that.

Instead of a traditional red-white spring game, possibly, but it does open the coaching staff to a lot of unnecessary questions if it's competitive.
I'm not even looking at it that way, but your right on that too. I just felt the old spring formula is best where you have more good on good and trying to figure out what your own team will look like for the next year and such.

Reactions: 9and4
I think there’s tremendous value of facing another opponent. Especially coming off from a Covid year where we had a million practices and only played 8 games. I also feel like every year the players claim they are tired of facing each other.
I hope we can make it happen.

Issue I would have is less reps for all players versus just 1's and 2's

That is why I love watching the spring scrimmage. I get to see how good our young players are. It's also a perk for the walkon's & younger players to get to play in front of family and a crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I think there’s tremendous value of facing another opponent. Especially coming off from a Covid year where we had a million practices and only played 8 games. I also feel like every year the players claim they are tired of facing each other.
I hope we can make it happen.
one of the attractions of the spring scrimmage is letting your entire depth chart get on the field in front of live audience. IF you play another school you'll have half as many guys get snaps and might hinder you ability to see what a lots of kids can do in a game like situation. I don't care for the idea.

one of the attractions of the spring scrimmage is letting your entire depth chart get on the field in front of live audience. IF you play another school you'll have half as many guys get snaps and might hinder you ability to see what a lots of kids can do in a game like situation. I don't care for the idea.
In a closed scrimmage setting, how is that not possible? They aren't keeping score, so what does it matter?

Basketball teams do it every year.

In a closed scrimmage setting, how is that not possible? They aren't keeping score, so what does it matter?

Basketball teams do it every year.
As it is, young players might only get a series or a few snaps in spring scrimmages. We need as many reps as we can get for those young guys we are going to depend on next fall and scrimmaging somebody other than ourselves cuts the number of potential plays in half for those guys. Basketball is an entirely different deal than the Husker football spring scrimmage. For one thing, you would have opposition players that are going to be tough to tell, "the QB has a green jersey on". You can't drill him. ONE of the things a coach want's to do with that spring "game" is to not incur any unnecessary injuries. Playing an FCS or D2 school might open us up for some kid trying to make a name for himself taking a cheap shot at one of our impact players. I think it's a bad idea. JMO.

I don’t think the players should vote on anything ever again. Too many guys can have a vote when they are going to transfer anyway.
it was really a cop out by Frost, he set the tone, then let his boy take the blame for it.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT