ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Press Conference - Monday 11:50am (Link)

Just listened to Wandale and Frost

-Wandale said he feels Frost and Lubick mesh and get along much better. ( much better than who? Walters)
-Said there is more energy coming from the guys than what he saw all of last year.
-Sad to see JD go, but staying focused on the task at hand. Said he talk to him a lot, not about football stuff but about life stuff and making sure he is ok.

Frost Said
-Said He wouldn't call JDs departure a departure (this gives me hope that he could come back) said he and staff are in constant contact with him.
-mirror Wandale stating the energy and attitudes were high
- Started to say , it was the best day 1 spring practice since here, then back tracked and said "you all have me afraid to say this type of thing" So instead he said "we have a lot to work on to get to where we want to be"
- Said he can already tell the difference having Lubick is making, said the offense is just more organized and runs smoother during practices. Asked if he though they would have won more games with Lubick last year. Frost said he doesn't want to speculate, but glad he is here.

Frost was a touch critical of the coaching the WR received the last couple of years, he was pretty close to driving the bus right over Walters, but stopped short.

The OL (Jaimes and Farniok) said there will be no excuses for poor play on the part of the OL.

Farniok worked at guard today as well as tackle.

Frost said McCaffery will be at QB in the spring and will be competing for the starting job. But come fall, they may consider playing him at WR

OLBs seem to love having Dawson coaching them.

I remember Rahmir Johnson and Nance being called out positively by Frost.

Other similar stuff to previous years, we looked faster, we are better organized, tempo was faster, etc

No depth at RB for Spring. No depth for WR at Spring. The starting QB going to be very limited this spring... championship are won in the off-season. They missed their Winter offseason when they didn’t make a bowl. Going to be missing a lot in the spring.

Glad they decided to keep AM out. He’s proven he doesn’t need to practice. Definitely a finished product

this program is ridiculously a broken record every year.

Kids talking about the importance of horizontal leadership is a good sign.

Frost mentioned that explicitly in a keynote speech last year and I don't recall anyone on the team talking about holding their teammates accountable at all last year, but several did today.

Robinson and Frost speaking openly about wanting Spielman to be okay and that he is welcome back if he wants to come back is a good thing.

No depth at RB for Spring. No depth for WR at Spring. The starting QB going to be very limited this spring... championship are won in the off-season. They missed their Winter offseason when they didn’t make a bowl. Going to be missing a lot in the spring.

Glad they decided to keep AM out. He’s proven he doesn’t need to practice. Definitely a finished product

If AM is a finished product, we bought a lemon. He has to take massive steps to just get back to his freshman year. If he plays tougher in the first 3 games I will become a believer. If not, step aside for the future at quarterback.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

Frost mentioned that explicitly in a keynote speech last year and I don't recall anyone on the team talking about holding their teammates accountable at all last year, but several did today.

Robinson and Frost speaking openly about wanting Spielman to be okay and that he is welcome back if he wants to come back is a good thing.
Leadership was a problem when MR was here. Unfortunately leadership usually comes from upper class men. In this case the upper class men have been MR guys the last 2 years. I think we will start seeing more and more of the leadership this year and going forward.
Even Wandale I think is being looked at as a leader. During the presser they asked him since JD is gone if he feels any pressure having to step up and be a young leader of the WR group. He said he basically was all through high school so he is use to doing it.

If AM is a finished product, we bought a lemon. He has to take massive steps to just get back to his freshman year. If he plays tougher in the first 3 games I will become a believer. If not, step aside for the future at quarterback.
I know some think Martinez will just rocket back to how he was his Freshman year. Imo I just don't see it. Also he is a junior we should be seeing him much improved over his Freshman year. If Mccaffrey doesn't win the job by fall, I see him taking over at some point in the year. I just think Martinez lacks the natural leadership abilities that is needed at this level. I hope Im wrong and he blows up this year.

Leadership was a problem when MR was here. Unfortunately leadership usually comes from upper class men. In this case the upper class men have been MR guys the last 2 years. I think we will start seeing more and more of the leadership this year and going forward.
Even Wandale I think is being looked at as a leader. During the presser they asked him since JD is gone if he feels any pressure having to step up and be a young leader of the WR group. He said he basically was all through high school so he is use to doing it.

So if you were recruited by Mike Riley you are automatically a bad leader? Every single player recruited by Mike Riley has no leadership qualities? Come on. You are making the assumption that Riley recruited players all agreed with how Riley lead the team.

The message and the direction of the program is set forth by the head coach, if players believe in that message they will get in line with that message and the natural leaders will take over. Good or bad.

In the programs I have been associated with, the leaders are the players on the field and in the positions to actually lead. If you start a freshman QB, that QB better have the ability to lead. Leaders are guys that people want to follow, age and who recruited them are not really that important.

I think you are looking at it from an old school point of view. Where you had to wait your turn to and get your lumps to get on the field. In today's world, young players start all the time.

clearly this is something other than just wanting to play elsewhere. It seems obvious to me that his issue goes way beyond football. Hope he gets things sorted out regardless of whether he ever plays again.

So there are two groups of players as leaders then? Riley guys are not leaders but Frost guys are? Trust me, the players have long forgot Mike Riley so anything lingering from that change is long gone. How quickly do people forget a boss who leaves?

If there is a lack of leadership, that again falls on Frost and Co. They need to be developing men, players and leaders.

So there are two groups of players as leaders then? Riley guys are not leaders but Frost guys are? Trust me, the players have long forgot Mike Riley so anything lingering from that change is long gone. How quickly do people forget a boss who leaves?

If there is a lack of leadership, that again falls on Frost and Co. They need to be developing men, players and leaders.
Disagree, leaders are not created or developed,they are born.It is part of their personalities from a very early age. There are natural born leaders and followers. Just as MR was not a natural born leader, hence why he sucks as an HC. While I do think there were some natural born leader under MR. I think many especially now after 3 losing season may just be tired and mentally worn down. They may not want to put in the energy it takes to step up and lead. Easier to just let others do it at this point.

Disagree, leaders are not created or developed,they are born.It is part of their personalities from a very early age. There are natural born leaders and followers. Just as MR was not a natural born leader, hence why he sucks as an HC. While I do think there were some natural born leader under MR. I think many especially now after 3 losing season may just be tired and mentally worn down. They may not want to put in the energy it takes to step up and lead. Easier to just let others do it at this point.

I don't even know where to begin with this. If leaders cannot be developed, and if you have to be born a leader, then the whole world is in BIG trouble...

I agree that missing bowl practices multiple years, thin position groups every spring, combined with attrition creates a lack of continuity for development. The offseason is absolutely important, as mentioned.

It’s hard to picture a team reaching it’s full potential when it can only be a full team for summer/fall every year.

We need to be a year round team to grow.

Reactions: spinner4
I don't even know where to begin with this. If leaders cannot be developed, and if you have to be born a leader, then the whole world is in BIG trouble...
This statement makes no sense. So you are suggesting there are no longer natural leaders being born? That everyone is the same until developed or molded into something?

sarcasm is really lost in writing sometimes. Sorry about that. Yeah AM is no where near a finished product. He needed these practices at full go badly. The team needed an honest assessment of a true QB battle. Yes AM is the clear front runner and it should be his job this fall, but the coaches really needed more than a blind assessment.

Reactions: kakdawg
I agree that missing bowl practices multiple years, thin position groups every spring, combined with attrition creates a lack of continuity for development. The offseason is absolutely important, as mentioned.

It’s hard to picture a team reaching it’s full potential when it can only be a full team for summer/fall every year.

We need to be a year round team to grow.
Great post.
We haven't had continuity in coaching or roster in a long time. We do now, for the most part.
Much of the praise the staff has got from the last two recriting classes, besides the quality, is how its directed at the roster needs, plus those higher ratings.
Often in the past, we would just take the best guys available, that has definately changed, yet our recruiting has been better.
It's coming.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Mike Riley is now two years gone. Good evidence that he wasn't the best at developing players, but the kids he recruited that stayed have been working hard and are as able to lead as any of the kids Frost recruited. Probably more so, as they have longer tenure as college FB players.
No one really knows what's going on with JD. I've speculated and reacted based on the rumor mill. Maybe we let that one go. If he comes back, he comes back.
Adrian was pretty beat up last year, but maybe also got a little too thick. In fact, I think all of the QBs were gimped at one time of the year or another. I am sure the experience was humbling for AMart. He is very likely the starter for the next two years if he can remain healthy. Those of you who like to prattle on about the QB position are going to prattle on about it. It's a free country.
From Frost's comments, it's pretty clear he's pleased that Lubick is on staff, to the point of a little under the bus action for Walters. Doesn't seem like Walters was much of a communicator in terms of offensive coordination. That was easy when he had Milton and several kids who could run away from most defenders in the AAC. Not so much in the B1G. Austin will have a bigger role in run game coordination and from the comments of either Severe or Benning, Austin is pretty psyched about that. Lubick and Frost have good vibe in terms of being on the same page about offensive football and that should pay off in terms of better flow of play.

If being open about what he, SF, saw as struggles, then seeing immediate improvements from a guy he's worked with before, well, TW now knows what he needs to work on.

Just to add fact here, sure,it's year three, guys know whats up, but, Wandale said it was a tough day one, later ,SF said there were alot more reps.
Putting 2n2 together, the whatfour is, Lubicks got things smoothed out already,ready to fire.

This statement makes no sense. So you are suggesting there are no longer natural leaders being born? That everyone is the same until developed or molded into something?

What a sad and useless world it would be if someone were determined to be...or not to be...a leader at birth. Also, to lead optimally, one must learn to also follow effectively. That alone blows up your premise. BTW, which way were you born...a leader or a follower?

You may have leadership traits in you but every great leader is developed. It is impossible to lead without learning how to first. Ive trained too many people to know.

You may have leadership traits in you but every great leader is developed. It is impossible to lead without learning how to first. Ive trained too many people to know.
Ok, I can agree with that. That was kinda the point I was making initially. You can't just take anyone and turn them into a leader. The personality has to be there as well as the want to and drive. I wonder if the type of player MR recruited maybe didn't fit the qualities that can be molded into a great leader. Those that did fit have bailed or are just burned out. Hence why we are and have been seeing a lack of leadership the last 2-4 years.

There's more than one reason the athletic department had him speak last fall at the big unveil

ADVERTISEMENT