ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #8

Matt Reynoldson@Matt_Reynoldson

Scott Frost said Tristan Gebbia is doing good things both running and throwing. Has “good speed” in an offense calling on him to be an efficient runner. #Huskers

10:21 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Megan McGill@MeganMcGill_owh

After Spring ball, Frost says he will meet with every player to discuss where he thinks they stand. #huskers

10:22 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Omaha Sports Insider@OSIsports

"I think today was our best day." - Nebraska's head coach Scott Frost #Huskers

Matt Reynoldson@Matt_Reynoldso
n
Frost: “Will Honas is coming to work every day and doing some awesome things.”

Learning curve moving along for a very important piece of Nebraska’s 2018 defense.

10:23 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Omaha Sports Insider@OSIsports

"Nebraska football is built on guys that won't quit, won't give up, are going to be tough and refuse to lose." - Nebraska's head coach Scott Frost #Huskers

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Quarterback day at #Huskers practice. This will shock all of you, but Adrian Martinez doesn’t handle himself like your typical rookie.

10:45 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Scott Frost said a couple of quarterbacks (and players at other positions) have began to separate themselves at least a little bit, but did not reveal who they were. Said this is the time in spring when reps start to get adjusted slightly. #Huskers

10:46 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Parker Gabriel@HuskerExtraPG

Frost said Adrian Martinez told him he thinks his shoulder is at about 90 percent. Martinez said he thinks he’s already past where he was as a junior in high school when he last played. #Huskers

Sam McKewon@swmckewonOWH

Frost on the 4 QBs who can play next season: "Gebbia’s doing some good things running and throwing. Pat can really throw it and is doing a good job learning it. Bunch has been doing a really good job as a walk-on here. Adrian Martinez is showing signs of being really talented."

11:22 AM - Apr 10, 2018

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal

Frost said the QB depth chart will sorts itself out. "The one thing we’re going to have to do, and we kind of have started a little bit today, is making sure we’re getting the guys who are kind of separating themselves more reps so we can get our team ready to play.” #Huskers

11:40 AM - Apr 10, 2018

“Some guys are going to show more emotion than others, I get that,” the coach said. “But in terms of the negative part — never, never, never. In other words, don’t ever embarrass your teammates with your verbal comments or your hand gestures.”

Whoa!!! I love me some Ron Brown! Amazing man and character!!! Totally cool to hear and see he came out to Lincoln to watch a practice, without anything to gain or get from it!!! A+ Classy man; shocks me... even though i know what kind of man he is!

Sounds like Martinez is picking things up solid but the talk of shoulder has me thinking he’s still not all there throwing yet and In another deal it does say Martinez is still learning and is up and down. The praise on Gebbia is a great thing. He’s my QB I’m betting on and they even went as far as saying he’s got good speed and is doing well in the running and throwing part of things. I’m really loving the chances of Gebbia winning this battle. I don’t see anyone out working him, and he stays after practice constantly making extra throws and so on. Gebbia will be our QB next season, mark it down. I give a crap less if he’s light in the pants. If he’s got a great field vision and is as smart with the ball as we hear about him, he will keep from getting blasted by a 230-250 LB. he will be just fine when he runs with the ball and more then fine when he throws.

Sounds like Martinez is picking things up solid but the talk of shoulder has me thinking he’s still not all there throwing yet and In another deal it does say Martinez is still learning and is up and down. The praise on Gebbia is a great thing. He’s my QB I’m betting on and they even went as far as saying he’s got good speed and is doing well in the running and throwing part of things. I’m really loving the chances of Gebbia winning this battle. I don’t see anyone out working him, and he stays after practice constantly making extra throws and so on. Gebbia will be our QB next season, mark it down. I give a crap less if he’s light in the pants. If he’s got a great field vision and is as smart with the ball as we hear about him, he will keep from getting blasted by a 230-250 LB. he will be just fine when he runs with the ball and more then fine when he throws.
I love your analysis on our QBs!! How does Gebbia look physically? Last year I was worried for him, because he looked so skinny! Has he really grown that much? I'm hoping he's our QB, but I don't think his body has changed enough to play at this level? I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Jeans!
Not at all surprised to hear Martinez doesn't act like your typical rookie, I was really impressed with how he handled himself during interviews at the AA Game.

Reactions: jeans15
I give a crap less if he’s light in the pants. If he’s got a great field vision and is as smart with the ball as we hear about him, he will keep from getting blasted by a 230-250 LB.
This is just wishful thinking. I don't care how good of field vision you have, if you run with the ball sooner or later you care going to get blasted. Probably sooner. in a season, multiple times. Gebbia may prove to be durable for his size but c'mon now he is playing major college football.

I met Leo Lewis a few times when I was in college. He played WR in college and was the #1 punt returner and played WR and returned kicks for the Vikings for years. He didn't weigh over 150 lbs. He regularly took big shots catching balls and returning punts. I think Gebbia will be just fine.

I met Leo Lewis a few times when I was in college. He played WR in college and was the #1 punt returner and played WR and returned kicks for the Vikings for years. He didn't weigh over 150 lbs. He regularly took big shots catching balls and returning punts. I think Gebbia will be just fine.
So.....you’re saying Gebbia is really Leo Lewis?

Reactions: sneakyheat
So.....you’re saying Gebbia is really Leo Lewis?
Gebbia is HUUUUGE compared to Leo. He was a little tiny guy. I couldn't believe how small he was. I met him while he was playing for the Vikes. His girlfriend was an intern in my department.

Reactions: mkihne
This is just wishful thinking. I don't care how good of field vision you have, if you run with the ball sooner or later you care going to get blasted. Probably sooner. in a season, multiple times. Gebbia may prove to be durable for his size but c'mon now he is playing major college football.

And we have seen countless skinny D1 QBs do just fine and tear it up. Bama, Ole Miss and ever other D1 college wasn’t to worried about his size. I have faith Frost and our S&C coach will handle this just fine. You guys act like Gebbia going to find the first Ray Lewis out there and try and truck him for extra yardage. I’ll put money on it, that if/when Gebbia wins it out (and he will, dude works way to hard and has an elite skill set not to) that he WONT get killed or hurt and miss much time. I bet he’s a 2-3 year starter and goes pro and does just fine there too.

Reactions: headcard
He also has all summer to add solid weight. He can easily put on 10 plus pounds of muscle in 4 to 5 months

I bet he’s a 2-3 year starter and goes pro and does just fine there too.

Now you’re hitting the Kool-Aid hard. I’d like see it because we’ve long lacked qb’s in the NFL but let the kid at least play in a college football game before claiming him to be pro material.

Now you’re hitting the Kool-Aid hard. I’d like see it because we’ve long lacked qb’s in the NFL but let the kid at least play in a college football game before claiming him to be pro material.

I wouldn’t exactly call it “drinking the kool-aid, hard” when you see a QB with that skill set and then seeing how hard the kid works to succeed. If he wins the starting QB spot this season coming, he more then has a chance to be a 2-3 year starter. Now yes, guessing he will go on to have a solid NFL career too, that might be pushing it a bit much but again, seeing that skill set matched with hard work and a film junkie....usually transfers to a chance at a great NFL type career. Oh, btw, reread what I said...I was guessing he would have a solid NFL career. That’s my opinion of the kid. That’s all.

I get it, some of you guys keep bringing up the Tanner Lee deal like he was a complete bust and that fell apart. Last I knew, his shot at the NFL wasn’t over with yet and sounds like he gets some solid reviews. Yes, his ONE SINGLE season here (after not played by almost 2 years) was rough but he showed plenty of NFL talent in that arm and peeps got there opinions of him being a great QB from experts like Archy Manning and QB experts like that. They didn’t just suddenly pick him as the “next big thing” because he was a 4-5 Star and op 100 Recruit. We heard from top QB experts he was legit and had the potential to be a first day pick. Then yes, us Husker fan took it and road that into the ground as he’d kill it under Riley and having the Husker talent around him. His career isn’t over with yet, Lee still has a chance to earn his way in the NFL and proving Archy Manning and the other QB experts right.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr and zrob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT