ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notes: Practice #11

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011

Nate Clouse@NateClouse

#Rival100 WR Mycah Pittman out of @CalabasasFtball set to visit the #Huskers on May 5. https://twitter.com/mycahpittman/status/986026339508436992 …

7:05 PM - Apr 16, 2018 · Lincoln, NE

Husker Hype@husker_hype

https://twitter.com/husker_hype/status/985952315273166848

Current 2018 Spring Game attendance top 10:

FSU - 60k
UF - 53k
OU - 52k
Clemson - 50k
TAMU - 48k
tOSU - 48k
VT - 37k
Kentucky - 36k
Auburn - 28k
South Carolina- 26k

1:45 PM - Apr 16, 2018 · Scottsdale, A

Jake Bartecki@bartecki_jake

Mohamed Barry said that Tristan Gebbia is running the ball really well, been likely the most challenging QB for the defense to defend. #Huskers @UNLBroadcasting

10:10 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Jake Sorensen@937JakeSorensen

Mo Barry says he is benching 365 lbs and hopes to get to 400 lbs in the summer. Also says the guys standing out on offense so far are Mike Williams and Greg Bell. #Huskers

10:11 AM - Apr 17, 2018 · Lincoln, NE

Christopher Heady@heady_chris

So Damion Daniels spoke to the media for the first time today. He was surrounded by the Davis twins and Deontre Thomas. They have a rule — started by Thomas — that if one guy speaks to the media, they all want to be there.

“To monitor them,” Thomas said. #Huskers

10:20 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal

Scott Frost said a nasty virus is working its way through the team. A number of players missed Tuesday. “Right now our numbers are kind of dangerously low,” Frost said. #Huskers

10:24 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Christopher Heady@heady_chri

Frost: “The quarterback decision won’t come for a long time.” #Huskers

10:25 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Tommy Rezac@Tommy_KLIN

Frost: “I’m pleased with progress in spring, but we need more summer conditioning and another fall camp to get better. Even then, we won’t be there all the way, but I’m pleased with our progress.” #Huskers

Tommy Rezac@Tommy_KLI

Frost: “We have a long way to go with leadership. I’m not sure leadership was developed very well here. We have guys that are capable of leading, but we have a long way to go.” #Huskers

10:28 AM - Apr 17, 2018 · Lincoln, NE

4-star Omaha Burke linebacker Nick Henrich here visiting today. #Huskers

10:28 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Brian Christopherson
✔@Husker247BC

Travis Fisher wants more pass breakups and picks. “It’s not enough, not enough at all. That’s one thing I’m not very pleased with it, is not enough hands are getting on the ball." https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Bolt/Nebraska-defensive-back-coach-Travis-Fisher-wants-more-interceptions--117392256 … via @mikejschaefer

6:57 PM - Apr 16, 2018

Very good progress. Very proud of the hard work Tre is doing. Still has a ways to go if he wants to see the field. Full speed in the first clip lasted less than 5 yards. 2nd clip almost finish the run at full speed. Very nice.

Reactions: jeans15
One of the players was taken off the field in an ambulance today. The university has not yet released the name of the player and won't until the family is notified. From what I can gather, it was an offensive player that isn't in line to start.

hope its just precautionary and not serious...hate to hear that.

Rumored in the winter that Newell was looking to leave. That seems to be off the table now. POB is gone now. How many spots over 85 is the roster now?

Rumored in the winter that Newell was looking to leave. That seems to be off the table now. POB is gone now. How many spots over 85 is the roster now?

I believe it’s 3.. and thats not including Noah V who will go on scholarship so technically we need to lose 4 guys at least. 5 if they go grad transfer.

Jake Bartecki@bartecki_jake

Mohamed Barry said that Tristan Gebbia is running the ball really well, been likely the most challenging QB for the defense to defend. #Huskers @UNLBroadcasting

10:10 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Jake Sorensen@937JakeSorensen

Mo Barry says he is benching 365 lbs and hopes to get to 400 lbs in the summer. Also says the guys standing out on offense so far are Mike Williams and Greg Bell. #Huskers

10:11 AM - Apr 17, 2018 · Lincoln, NE

So Damion Daniels spoke to the media for the first time today. He was surrounded by the Davis twins and Deontre Thomas. They have a rule — started by Thomas — that if one guy speaks to the media, they all want to be there.

“To monitor them,” Thomas said. #Huskers

10:20 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Brian Rosenthal@GBRosenthal

Scott Frost said a nasty virus is working its way through the team. A number of players missed Tuesday. “Right now our numbers are kind of dangerously low,” Frost said. #Huskers

10:24 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Christopher Heady@heady_chri

Frost: “The quarterback decision won’t come for a long time.” #Huskers

10:25 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Tommy Rezac@Tommy_KLIN

Frost: “I’m pleased with progress in spring, but we need more summer conditioning and another fall camp to get better. Even then, we won’t be there all the way, but I’m pleased with our progress.” #Huskers

Tommy Rezac@Tommy_KLI

Frost: “We have a long way to go with leadership. I’m not sure leadership was developed very well here. We have guys that are capable of leading, but we have a long way to go.” #Huskers

10:28 AM - Apr 17, 2018 · Lincoln, NE

4-star Omaha Burke linebacker Nick Henrich here visiting today. #Huskers

10:28 AM - Apr 17, 2018

Honestly, think Daniels is our next (potential) First Team All-American.

He has the measurables.

GBR

I believe it’s 3.. and thats not including Noah V who will go on scholarship so technically we need to lose 4 guys at least. 5 if they go grad transfer.
I'm curious who others think we take off scholarship?

Just going by names available from :
http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-scholarship-distribution

Would you pick any Seniors?

FB/RB Wilbon, Ozigbo, Ben Miles, Trey Bryant (I think at least 1 from here, maybe 2 if there is a medical involved)

Linebackers Sedrick King, Alex Davis, or Collin Miller?

The Senior long snapper Jordan Ober?

It's pretty thin looking around and trying to pick names I never hear of..

Reactions: bigsag

FB/RB Wilbon, Ozigbo, Ben Miles, Trey Bryant (I think at least 1 from here, maybe 2 if there is a medical involved)

I think those scholarships will come from players that are encouraged to move on to a different program or different division of college football.

Motley Crue.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think those scholarships will come from players that are encouraged to move on to a different program or different division of college football.
Well of course.. I didn't want to use the words kicked off the team. The main issue is what guys are you going to choose? I don't think it's an easy choice, because you're really stuck with trying to tell some upper classmen to move on.

Well of course.. I didn't want to use the words kicked off the team. The main issue is what guys are you going to choose? I don't think it's an easy choice, because you're really stuck with trying to tell some upper classmen to move on.

Like The Crue, lots of good songs in that tired roster.

Great handle. The best show in the Midwest during my last time living in Nebraska (high school).

Now they have the Floribraska thing going..

Lots of speed in Florida. I've been to a few high profile HS football games, and the talent on the field is incredible.

#1 St. Thomas vs #5 Miramar about 5-8 years ago, nationally ranked, at St. Thomas stadium. Beautiful Catholic school in Fort Lauderdale, top of the line facilities.

I ended up cheering for #5 Miramar who won in OT after a 5-star CB blocked a FG to set-up the victory.

AT LEAST 10-15 D1 players on the field/bench that day for both teams.

Long story short, it's a good thing...

Obviously you need to do some more research on players before you post....

Reactions: SOHusker11

Jordan Ober has played in every single game since his freshman year as long snapper, and is pretty good at it, I don't think he's somewhere to look to free up a scholarship.

Jordan Ober has played in every single game since his freshman year as long snapper, and is pretty good at it, I don't think he's somewhere to look to free up a scholarship.
Completely understand.. It sort of makes my point, that it's going to be difficult to find people to 'move on' to make more scholarships available.

I think Snyder and Barnett will move on. Maybe Jefferson or Hampton at LB
I wasn't sure about how much the tight ends would get used in the new system, but last year we heard so much about the offensive line I figured we had depth issues there. I sort of see the TE position as kind of an offensive lineman on most plays, not sure if this is true in Frost's offense though.

Newell visited a friend down at KSU in the winter and this led to the rumor that he was looking to be a graduate transfer. Turns out, that was only a visit to see his friend and nothing more.

Previous number was 89 scholarships. With POB gone, it should be down to 88. If Vedral is granted his release from UCF, he will more than likely take POBs scholly.

Frost needs like 5 players to leave after spring to get below the 85 limit and to give scholarships to certain players.

Not a word has been mentioned about Ben Miles during spring practice by the coaches that I am aware of. The only comments have been about fullbacks being short down and distance RBs and being special teams players since they are not used in this offense. Miles should find a school that uses a fullback if he wants to get any real playing time.

Tre Bryant is a wait and see. From everything I have read, he will get a chance in fall camp to show what he has since his injury is still lingering this spring. Surely this staff will find a role for him, but at this point, no one seems to know whether his knee will hold up.

Some insiders think Wilbon is one of the top 2 backs on the team. With Bell having some back issues this spring, Mikale, Oz, and Bradley will have a good competition to get playing time. Nothing is decided at RB and from the sounds of it, the coaches are looking to use several backs during the season.

C. Miller has been playing well in practice according to some who have watched a practice or two. Not likely to transfer from my understanding of his situation on the depth chart.

The coaches seem to like A. Davis's body type. Not sure if that will equate to any playing time though. I have never been a fan of recruiting kids that have never played football until their junior or senior season of high school. Most don't end up being a major factor as NU anyways that I can recall.

I recall some early words about S. King, but nothing lately. He was one player that I thought of back in January as one that NU could stand to lose in order to open a scholarship, but no word on that.

Ober has been injured this spring. One article I read mentioned that the ST coach would not give scholarships to long-snappers going forwards (and would just train current players on the team to fill that role), but then a more recent article quoted the coach as leaving the door open for a long-snapper scholarship. Ober will stay here IMO.

Sounds like Frost and staff will meet with players after spring to be straight with them about their standing on the team and depth chart. I would guess that doing this will get several players to move on from scholarship that have no significant role moving forwards with the team.

Looking at that scholarship distribution chart you linked, I agree. It is hard to find players that might move on at this point in time. I am guessing rumors will swirl a day or two before each player officially leaves over the next couple of months, similar to POB.

As far as the 85 scholarships go, Maurice Washington is far from a lock to arrive this summer. He is focusing on school and nothing else in order to make it here, but there hasn't been any updates for quite awhile now because he is focusing on schoolwork and not talking to the media. If he arrives on campus by fall camp, I would guess he would red-shirt in order to get acclimated to college and to get his studies in order before terrorizing defenses in 2019.

At one point, people were saying B. Bando would not make the depth chart and that he would be a body that fans want to move on, but his name came up recently as practicing with the 2nd stringers and fighting hard for a backup role.

Good luck to Frost. He's going to need it when trying to figure out who to let go from the team to get under 85 if Washington makes it and Vedral gets his release. I sure as hell can't figure out any juniors or seniors to push out, sans maybe J. Barnett (and the aforementioned King). I will throw out the name M. Snyder as one that should have been in the mix at TE, but has not stood out and one I could see leaving if he ends up low on the depth chart after spring (EDIT: and B. Brokop if he doesn't move up the depth chart).

I could see an injury causing one or two players to have their football career end, but hopefully not as those injured players have a lot of talent.

Last edited:
I think Snyder and Barnett will move on. Maybe Jefferson or Hampton at LB

Just saw this post. I agree. Snyder and Barnett could easily move on if they don't figure out how to jump up the depth chart in a hurry.

All I keep hearing is how loaded we are at LB, but I have yet to hear read about Jefferson and I don't recall seeing anything about Hampton this spring either, but the coaches supposedly have 2 or 3 LB packages due to the number of quality LBs on the team.

We have way too many TEs on scholarship for this offense. We could probably free up the 3 scholarships just at the TE position alone.

Newell visited a friend down at KSU in the winter and this led to the rumor that he was looking to be a graduate transfer. Turns out, that was only a visit to see his friend and nothing more.

Previous number was 89 scholarships. With POB gone, it should be down to 88. If Vedral is granted his release from UCF, he will more than likely take POBs scholly.

Frost needs like 5 players to leave after spring to get below the 85 limit and to give scholarships to certain players.

Not a word has been mentioned about Ben Miles during spring practice by the coaches that I am aware of. The only comments have been about fullbacks being short down and distance RBs and being special teams players since they are not used in this offense. Miles should find a school that uses a fullback if he wants to get any real playing time.

Tre Bryant is a wait and see. From everything I have read, he will get a chance in fall camp to show what he has since his injury is still lingering this spring. Surely this staff will find a role for him, but at this point, no one seems to know whether his knee will hold up.

Some insiders think Wilbon is one of the top 2 backs on the team. With Bell having some back issues this spring, Mikale, Oz, and Bradley will have a good competition to get playing time. Nothing is decided at RB and from the sounds of it, the coaches are looking to use several backs during the season.

C. Miller has been playing well in practice according to some who have watched a practice or two. Not likely to transfer from my understanding of his situation on the depth chart.

The coaches seem to like A. Davis's body type. Not sure if that will equate to any playing time though. I have never been a fan of recruiting kids that have never played football until their junior or senior season of high school. Most don't end up being a major factor as NU anyways that I can recall.

I recall some early words about S. King, but nothing lately. He was one player that I thought of back in January as one that NU could stand to lose in order to open a scholarship, but no word on that.

Ober has been injured this spring. One article I read mentioned that the ST coach would not give scholarships to long-snappers going forwards (and would just train current players on the team to fill that role), but then a more recent article quoted the coach as leaving the door open for a long-snapper scholarship. Ober will stay here IMO.

Sounds like Frost and staff will meet with players after spring to be straight with them about their standing on the team and depth chart. I would guess that doing this will get several players to move on from scholarship that have no significant role moving forwards with the team.

Looking at that scholarship distribution chart you linked, I agree. It is hard to find players that might move on at this point in time. I am guessing rumors will swirl a day or two before each player officially leaves over the next couple of months, similar to POB.

As far as the 85 scholarships go, Maurice Washington is far from a lock to arrive this summer. He is focusing on school and nothing else in order to make it here, but there hasn't been any updates for quite awhile now because he is focusing on schoolwork and not talking to the media. If he arrives on campus by fall camp, I would guess he would red-shirt in order to get acclimated to college and to get his studies in order before terrorizing defenses in 2019.

At one point, people were saying B. Bando would not make the depth chart and that he would be a body that fans want to move on, but his name came up recently as practicing with the 2nd stringers and fighting hard for a backup role.

Good luck to Frost. He's going to need it when trying to figure out who to let go from the team to get under 85 if Washington makes it and Vedral gets his release. I sure as hell can't figure out any juniors or seniors to push out, sans maybe J. Barnett (and the aforementioned King). I will throw out the name M. Snyder as one that should have been in the mix at TE, but has not stood out and one I could see leaving if he ends up low on the depth chart after spring (EDIT: and B. Brokop if he doesn't move up the depth chart).

I could see an injury causing one or two players to have their football career end, but hopefully not as those injured players have a lot of talent.
That was one heck of a post. Thanks so much for all the details and thoughts. In a way, we've already seen a turnaround.. from a roster that wasn't utilizing all available scholarships to one where we are maxing out. Some use to refer to this as a sort of self imposed scholarship penalty, but regardless, I prefer seeing us maxed out, and hope this continues on an annual basis. Those schollies are valuable.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
With POB on his way out, we are three over the limit. The coaches know more than we do about how these kids are shaking out on the depth chart, but it doesn't seem easy to get to 85. Rolling with six TEs on scholarship seems a bit much. One of the offensive linemen will likely move on as well as a LB. I don't see getting under the 85 so that spots can be awarded to walkons as much of an option.

I can come up with 10 names very easily that could be shown the door. Getting to 85 will be easy.

To make it easy for others to see how to make it to 85:

- Tre Bryant put on medical redshirt

- Miles granted full release since FB's are not used.

- Barnett told he will not play a down and to find another place to try and play at.

Even if Vedral is released, he wont get a scholarship until there is a free one to give. Need 4 others to free up first. That way giving him 1 brings up back to 85. He wouldnt be given one prior to getting under.

With POB on his way out, we are three over the limit. The coaches know more than we do about how these kids are shaking out on the depth chart, but it doesn't seem easy to get to 85. Rolling with six TEs on scholarship seems a bit much. One of the offensive linemen will likely move on as well as a LB. I don't see getting under the 85 so that spots can be awarded to walkons as much of an option.

GOOD! It should be that way every year!

ADVERTISEMENT