ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Thread!

Was the white the D starters at the beginning of this game? Doesn't really look like they have much depth? Maybe the red was the D starters I don't know. What's up with Honas, he a backup? Defenses are much tougher in the Big ten then what Neb is fielding today. Wow. I think Iowa's offense would put up 50 again today.

Keep dreaming about the Hawks putting up 50 again...this is not a Mike Reily coached team.

He'll be a fine qb for us for sure! But Martinez has skills that Geb simply doesn't have.
if martinez is the starter in the fall then Gebbia might/should transfer.
he's good enough to play somewhere
will be hard to keep a lot of young QBs if they are sitting on bench

if martinez is the starter in the fall then Gebbia might/should transfer.
he's good enough to play somewhere
will be hard to keep a lot of young QBs if they are sitting on bench

Easy on the transfer talk. We're already low on qb numbers.

Actually, the defense was split across both teams. The line especially. The offense was more 1st/2nd teams.

Was the white the D starters at the beginning of this game? Doesn't really look like they have much depth? Maybe the red was the D starters I don't know. What's up with Honas, he a backup? Defenses are much tougher in the Big ten then what Neb is fielding today. Wow. I think Iowa's offense would put up 50 again today.
Thanks for showing up. Iowa could have really used you to show up at their game.

Defense not impressive but they should be much better just by virtue of playing against this tempo in practice.

Easy on the transfer talk. We're already low on qb numbers.
not really. you can't expect to keep 3-4 QBs who are all underclassmen.
you might keep 3-4 if they are all spread out across classes but not when you have all freshmen/sophs.
no one wants or should be expected to sit around for 3 years watching when they have enough talent to play somewhere else.
if martinez is the starter it will be hard to convince QB recruits to come here and watch martinez for 4 years

not really. you can't expect to keep 3-4 QBs who are all underclassmen.
you might keep 3-4 if they are all spread out across classes but not when you have all freshmen/sophs.
no one wants or should be expected to sit around for 3 years watching when they have enough talent to play somewhere else.
if martinez is the starter it will be hard to convince QB recruits to come here and watch martinez for 4 years
Still, the fact remains, we are low on QB numbers. You can’t say, “Not really.” We absolutely are. 2 scholarship, a walk on and a transfer who is ineligible next year. That’s not a picture of depth.

They split the D up 50/50.. offense was 1’s (red) and 2’s.. just so it’s been said

While I was there for the 1st half, it seemed like the tackling was pretty solid which was something I was looking to see after the way last season ended. I thought all three eligible QBs looked good in their time and made me much more confident than I was pre-spring game. I was also impressed with the offense knowing WTF they were doing despite such a limited amount of practice time. Most times they were snapping the ball with 18 seconds or so on the clock and you know it'll be quicker come fall. Overall, I liked what I saw and am encouraged that the guys actually seem to be coached rather than just kind of there.

Defense not impressive but they should be much better just by virtue of playing against this tempo in practice.
Plus, it is hard to play D when you know you can't tackle the QB. After penetration, you do tend to back off just a tad bit . No way do you want to be in the doghouse for hitting the green jersey especially when we are thin. Sometimes it is just a psychological thing but trust me, when the leash is off, the D will be more aggressive.

Plus, it is hard to play D when you know you can't tackle the QB. After penetration, you do tend to back off just a tad bit . No way do you want to be in the doghouse for hitting the green jersey especially when we are thin. Sometimes it is just a psychological thing but trust me, when the leash is off, the D will be more aggressive.

They did get some penetration and were more aggressive in the backfield so it's certainly not a loss of a day.

Hard to tell since it's a spring game, but there are a lot of positives to take from this game.

Unfortunately there are quite a few negatives as well.

Definitely a work in progress and IMO we shouldn't get our hopes too high for this coming season after watching this game.
I agree, most of the positives were from guys who struggled a lot last year. Which is good, I hope that means they've improved a lot since last year but I'm not sure. It was disappointing to not see too many new guys really stand out, aside from Martinez. Overall there were some positives, but the level of play was not real impressive and it's going to take some time to get things worked out.

And vice versa. Martinez can't throw like Gebbia can.
Martinez was throwing just fine and looks like he's already got a command of the offense that the other qb's don't have. I think he'll be a clear favorite to win the starting job.

The ol' typo jab....lol...use it when ya got nothing else. After 3 years she's all wore out..who knows maybe, just maybe ol' scotty will make it a game in 3 years.

Frost will make it a game. 3 years from now, it won’t be a game... and you’ll be reminiscing about greatness in 2016-2017.

Hawks were average during the beatings...not great. Neb has a long way back to just average.
Hawks will remain average moving forward. Nebraska will climb right past you in a year or two at most. No excitement whatsoever around Kirk. Tons of excitement around Frost.

What is Iowa doing to improve? Reducing the capacity by 1000 seats? Enjoy the view now because it will not last. Period.

Hawks were average during the beatings...not great. Neb has a long way back to just average.

I forgot to add that Iowa has never been great.
You have never been great.
Not even close to greatness.
Iowa is and will be just average.
Until Ferentz retires.
Then you will suck as much, if not more, than we did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT