ADVERTISEMENT

SPRING CAMP: DAY 14

jeans15

Head Coach
Feb 23, 2011
Welcome back everyone, hoped you enjoyed your spring break.

Will begin with notes and quotes Asap.

This post was edited on 4/1 9:14 AM by jeans15

This post was edited on 4/6 5:39 PM by jeans15

This post was edited on 4/9 11:17 AM by jeans15

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 9

Yes Thanks !!! I just saw somewhere Coach R watched a tape of the last qb high rep practice ( TA was out ). Said he watched it three times; really liked the Bush and DARLINGTON PERFORMANCES. Said he is looking to give them all a lot of reps and be fair.

Originally posted by dockentwo:
Yes Thanks !!! I just saw somewhere Coach R watched a tape of the last qb high rep practice ( TA was out ). Said he watched it three times; really liked the Bush and DARLINGTON PERFORMANCES. Said he is looking to give them all a lot of reps and be fair.
I read that as well
smile.r191677.gif

Notes and quotes:

- Mike Bruntz,

Banker had plenty of praise for Freedom Akinmoladun, who made the move from tight end to defensive end in the offseason.

Riley said that the spring game format has yet to be decided, but Riley said he could almost have the Red team play against the white team - the way Nebraska has been practicing through the first half of spring drills.

Hughes said Mick Stoltenberg is a full-time defensive tackle, making the move. He said Stoltenberg has the frame to add 30 more pounds of weight with ease.

- Riley said that one thing he will look at for the rest of the practices is the rotation of the quarterbacks. He said he wants to get quarterbacks more reps against different defensive looks. "It will be good to see, and kind of fair," Riley said.

Notes and quotes:

- Grant Muessel

Greg McMullen and Jack Gangwish appear to have solid grasp on the top defensive end spots, but Banker offered up some names making a splash in camp. Ross Dzuris, Freedom Akinmoladun and Sedrick King came to mind.

"For a guy that hasn't played there before, at least since he's been here at Nebraska, he's done some really good things on the outside," Banker said of Akinmoladun, or the "Freedom Fighter" as he calls him. "Freedom's one because we didn't expect anything out of him."

"Usually you get that crossover, like 'why don't you just stay (on offense),' but he's a great kid, a great individual. He comes up all the time, always meeting with (defensive line) coach (Hank) Hughes. He wants to know, has a desire."

Originally posted by jeans15:
Notes and quotes:

- Grant Muessel

Greg McMullen and Jack Gangwish appear to have solid grasp on the top defensive end spots, but Banker offered up some names making a splash in camp. Ross Dzuris, Freedom Akinmoladun and Sedrick King came to mind.

"For a guy that hasn't played there before, at least since he's been here at Nebraska, he's done some really good things on the outside," Banker said of Akinmoladun, or the "Freedom Fighter" as he calls him. "Freedom's one because we didn't expect anything out of him."

"Usually you get that crossover, like 'why don't you just stay (on offense),' but he's a great kid, a great individual. He comes up all the time, always meeting with (defensive line) coach (Hank) Hughes. He wants to know, has a desire."
Its good to hear that it sounds as if we've found some depth at DE. Hopefully they can get those young DEs and LBers ready to go by the start of play this fall.

Notes and quotes:

- Grant Muessel

"For a guy that hasn't played there before, at least since he's been here at Nebraska, he's done some really good things on the outside," Banker said of Akinmoladun, or the "Freedom Fighter" as he calls him. "Freedom's one because we didn't expect anything out of him."

Ummmmmm, I thought Freedom played DE (as well as TE) in high school.

Originally posted by nebcountry:
Notes and quotes:

- Grant Muessel

Ummmmmm, I thought Freedom played DE (as well as TE) in high school.
That was covered in the first part of his quote:
"For a guy that hasn't played there before, at least since he's been here at Nebraska..."

From the coaches standpoint, would you not consider him a "crossover"?

Did you see the pic of Stoltenberg? 265 and cut and looks like no fat. 295 Roadster should come easy. This d-line is really powerful. See the coach say he would want to be in a bulldozer to try and Block Valentine?

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 10

Sorry for the late reports, its month end at my job, which is a big deal. As a manger, it means extra hours.

Notes and Quotes:

- Coach Langsdorf, "I think day one, they are trying to figure out where to stand in the huddle and call the play, remember the snap count and who the reads are, there are a lot of stuff for them, now they are not having to think as much and they are more comfortable," he said. "They are calling plays out, they are more comfortable with what the formation looks like and then what the starting point of the play is."

He added, "I think all of that stuff for all of them has greatly improved since day one. I think they are playing faster because of it."

Checking down to the backfield receiver is something Langsdorf really stressed the quarterbacks need to continue to work on.

"We have to get on the No. 2 and No. 3 receivers a little bit better, we have a good idea about No. 1, but getting to the second and third guy-especially the check down out of the backfield. Those kinds of throws are what we are kind of missing a bit."

- Mike Bruntz, - Running backs coach Reggie Davis said Nebraska is still working hard on the screen game - something that requires feel from the running backs. Davis said that at other stops, they have tried to install it with mixed results, but that at Nebraska it will take time because Nebraska hasn't done much screen work with running backs in the past.

Quarterback Tommy Armstrong said he didn't have any pain on Wednesday after missing practices two weeks ago with a leg and back issue. Armstrong said the team has been careful with him and will be going forward.

Armstrong said his biggest focus this spring has been reducing the number of interceptions he throws.

NFL wide receiver James Jones, a protege of wide receivers coach Keith Williams, is in Lincoln working out for a few days and spent Wednesday's practice on the sidelines. Jones said Williams has had a huge influence on him on and off the field through his career.

Langsdorf said he would like to get a a pecking order figured out for his quarterbacks sooner than later.

- Daniel Davie is still out of practice with an ankle injury. Was seen doing drill work however.

- Turner clarified that he loves his old coaches, just not their offense. Said the new offense was a big reason he came back for another year.

- Dan Hoppen, Tommy Armstrong said Nebraska QBs have completed around 55% of their passes in the spring. Riley wants it above 60%.
This post was edited on 4/1 11:21 PM by jeans15

edit - just saw other post re: Newby
This post was edited on 4/2 10:01 AM by Lincoln100

Originally posted by sparky62:
Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

So will AJ Bush be a redshirt freshman next fall?
Yes.
If he ends up 2nd or 1st on the depth chart. That could play a major role in our QB ecruiting imo.

Yes.
If he ends up 2nd or 1st on the depth chart. That could play a major role in our QB ecruiting imo.
Maybe but if your QBs are only pitching it at a 55% clip not too many top tier recruits would be scared off by them.

It would be interesting to see what each QB's completion percentage is individually vs this stat (taken as an aggregate) thrown out there by Tommy.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:

Yes.
Maybe but if your QBs are only pitching it at a 55% clip not too many top tier recruits would be scared off by them.
Good point

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 12

Notes and quotes:

- No QB pecking order, Stanton was with the Scout team.

- Adam Taylor, Vincent Valentine and Terrell Newby did not practice, but are expected to return next week.

- Grant Muessel, Practicing in the wind today brought out the QB problem today - #Huskers are lacking one that can make touch throws.

- #Huskers QBs had accuracy issues in practice Saturday at Memorial Stadium. That's nice way to put it. Yes, QBs. Plural

- John Gaskins, Not a good sign for Stanton: While #1/2 offenses were practicing at goal line, he was w #1/2 def at other GL as statue QB w no ball #Huskers

- Rotations at Qb was made of Armstrong, Bush and Darlington.

- Cethan Carter is done for the spring, and will undergo surgery on his foot Monday. Riley said Carter will be back in time for the start of summer workouts and won't be limited beyond this spring.

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 12

Thanks Jeans15. I know I mentioned it some elsewhere, but Darlington seems to be standing out here and there - your commenting he was in the top three rotation adds to my interest. Cornicator mentioned how he seemed to be on the fast track in hs, until his injury. I believe he is a coaches son, possibly he is adapting to the new O faster and doing rotations faster; really wish we could see their completion stats.
We heard how tough it was for the qbs in the wind. Then the two big plays mentioned are Turner burning the D for a touchdown when he made a move for a step and Darlington hit him - Also mentioned was a TE catching an athletic TD pass; again the qb was Darlington; which indicates to me, doing progressions and seeing the field. At least they are getting opportunity. So many talk recruiting; they want to know they have opportunity, not that they will be cuddled if a favorite. IMO

Re: SPRING CAMP: DAY 13

Notes and Quotes:

- Mike Bruntz, Maliek Collins said the most impressive lineman to him this spring has been Chongo Kondolo. Collins said that each time he tries to make a move, it's always Kondolo who has a hand right in Collins' chest.

Freedom Akinmoladun came to campus weighing 225 pounds and is now up to 260 pounds. The Kansas City-native has been keeping close to Maliek Collins after practices, working on additional technique and improving as a defensive lineman. Akimoladun and Collins worked out together when they returned to Kansas City, and Collins said he's been impressed with the redshirt freshman's growth at the position.

- Bush is seen as the back up to Armstrong then Darlington.

- John Gaskins, There have been a few more dashes of QB keeps, some off shotguns, being woven in, from what I've seen. 

- Mike Schaeffer, I'd like to add my name to the list of people impressed by Zack Darlington today. The throw to Turner on a wheel route was excellent.

- John Gaskins, Not a good sign for Stanton: While #1/#2 offenses were practicing at goal line, he was w #1/#2 defenses at other goal line as statue QB w no ball #Huskers

- Bush is seen as the back up to Armstrong then Darlington.

- Mike Schaeffer, I'd like to add my name to the list of people impressed by Zack Darlington today. The throw to Turner on a wheel route was excellent.
I would have to say that I never saw this coming back in December and January.

I would have bet a ton of money that Stanton would be the eventual starter this year (based on the videos I watched of him at the Elite 11 camp that apparently meant nothing!) and honestly thought Darlington would never see the field in his career at Nebraska (ONLY because of the concussion history, not his play on the field.)

Not only did I think that about Stanton, but I thought Fyfe would be the backup. Yes I know, it is only spring football, but I can't see it changing too much in Fall camp unless they both improve their accuracy and consistency dramatically over the summer (if that is what their issues are.)

I suppose every staff evaluates differently and puts emphasis on what they feel is important, but I suppose this explains a little more about why Stanton fell to 3rd string last year. What a crapshoot that recruiting stuff is!

With all of that in mind, I thought I remembered a quote from Stanton that he was considering transferring before the coaching change, but I can't find anything when I Google that. If he did consider transferring before the coaching change, I wonder if any of those thoughts have come back this spring...
This post was edited on 4/7 1:51 PM by TwinsRRUs

Maybe it was his turn to play statue; or has a minor injury ? tough when our options are playing out..

Notes and Quotes:

- Mike Bruntz,

Zack Darlington said he felt like he had a good spring, and has moved well beyond the concussion issues that plagued him at the end of his high school career. Darlington said that the way things are ready in the new offense is similar to how he ran things in high school. 

Riley said center and linebacker are two areas where Nebraska still needs to develop depth. Riley said the staff will need to develop some centers over the summer.

-Qbs will be taking live hits during the Spring game.

- Darlington said he's not scared of contact at all. He's ready to roll on Saturday when QBs will most likely be free range.

- Riley had plenty of praise for Bush, as well. 

"This is the 14th practice and I've been really impressed with his overall grasp and learning he's done daily," Riley said. "It's a pretty neat thing to see. And he has talent." 

Riley was asked if Bush has been the "biggest mover" in the quarterback race this spring. 

"Possibly true," Riley said. "I think he's really jumped up in my mind. Of course, my starting point was (a flat line) but I think he's made a good move." 

Riley said returning starter Tommy Armstrong has made similar growth in spring and is the "most confident" of all Husker quarterbacks.

- Grant Muessel, Can't watch everything of course, but for the first time today it was pretty clear to me that Tommy Armstrong had the best day.

- Steve Sipple, Huskers offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh said right guard Chongo Kondolo had "a great spring." Alex Lewis also impressed, he said.

-  Brian Christopherson , Hank Hughes wants guys moving, even post-play: "When you hit that white line, you can stop! Don't start walking when you're on the green!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT