ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Profiles Mickey

I think BoB scares husker fans because they are worried that if he does well..he will leave.
Super, I think you and scarletred are both right. It may appear O'Brien is more of an NFL-type guy.

In a perfect world, Husker fans would like to have the next HC be a keeper and stay here for 10-15 years or so.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
That part doesn’t worry me… His ability to recruit this part of the country is my biggest concern ..

This isn’t western Pennsylvania..
His resume will recruit guys. No doubt he’ll need some good recruiters on his staff. My suspicion though is that he’s going to hold out for something different than NUs situation. I could see him back in the NFL even though he’s spent as much time in college

Reactions: scarletred
His resume will recruit guys. No doubt he’ll need some good recruiters on his staff. My suspicion though is that he’s going to hold out for something different than NUs situation. I could see him back in the NFL.
Agree. I read this morning that Freeze may be the leading contender for the Auburn job despite Freeze's latest contract.

If O'Brien really wants to return to the NFL it takes his name out of the hat.

I can't imagine Lane, Whittingham, or Gundy will come to NU. It looks like the pool of candidates shrinks on a weekly basis.

Now it's probably more like Aranda, Klieman, an unknown.

I believe Shawn Eichorst said the same thing, and then we've proceeded to lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin 7 years in a row since.

We need to start beating the Iowas and Wisconsins before we even think about getting close to Ohio State's level. We have out-recruited Iowa and Wisconsin every year....the problem has been player development, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.....what is Mickey's plan to fix that?
This reminds of the time, back in 1996, when NU lost to Arizona St. It was the first time since 1992 that Nebraska lost a regular season game. It snapped all sorts of records. And of course, Frost was the QB.

Afterwards, TO was asked by journalists if the loss took them out of national title contention and if their goals for the season were still intact.

Osborne said (paraphrasing), "Right now our goal is to just be a good football team. That's what we need to focus on right now."

I think that's what separates great coaches from good coaches and good coaches from average coaches. Focusing on fundamentals first. Because if I remember correctly, that was the game Frost didn't even line up behind the center on a play and the snap just sailed into the endzone or something.

So, yeah, they need to focus on just being a good football team and beating Northwestern and Purdue. Ohio State shouldn't even be mentioned at all right now.

This reminds of the time, back in 1996, when NU lost to Arizona St. It was the first time since 1992 that Nebraska lost a regular season game. It snapped all sorts of records. And of course, Frost was the QB.

Afterwards, TO was asked by journalists if the loss took them out of national title contention and if their goals for the season were still intact.

Osborne said (paraphrasing), "Right now our goal is to just be a good football team. That's what we need to focus on right now."

I think that's what separates great coaches from good coaches and good coaches from average coaches. Focusing on fundamentals first. Because if I remember correctly, that was the game Frost didn't even line up behind the center on a play and the snap just sailed into the endzone or something.

So, yeah, they need to focus on just being a good football team and beating Northwestern and Purdue. Ohio State shouldn't even be mentioned at all right now.
I'm remembering 19-0 and the ball was snapped to Frost when he was looking from one side to the other.

ASU had a helluva team that year and was hellbent on some revenge after NU threw a late TD pass the previous year in Lincoln.

In hindsight, that was about the only dim moment during that 94-97 run.

I'm remembering 19-0 and the ball was snapped to Frost when he was looking from one side to the other.

ASU had a helluva team that year and was hellbent on some revenge after NU threw a late TD pass the previous year in Lincoln.

In hindsight, that was about the only dim moment during that 94-97 run.
Occasionally, the Pac-12 Network will replay the 0-19 game. It is shocking to see how inept we looked that night after years of steamrolling people. After the game I remember wondering if we would even score the rest of the season.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It also sounds like something stupid Frost would say. Brilliant move, giving billboard material to 3 of our next 4 opponents.
YUGE faux pas for Mickey. This is going up in all the B1G opponent locker rooms. 3-9 Huskers? That’s not bowl eligible. Joseph channels his inner Shawn Eichorst.

Everyone is chasing Ohio St, the other coaches are just seasoned enough not to say it in an interview.

Nebraska hasn't beaten Iowa since 2014 and is 1 - 8 in the last 9 games.

Nebraska hasn't beaten Minnesota since 2018 and is 3 - 6 in the last 9 games.

Nebraska hasn't beaten Wisconsin since 2012 and is 1 - 9 in the last 10 games.

Mickey could have learned one thing from Frost...
When to shut up.

I think Mickey is the guy but he needs to understand that statements have consequences.

YUGE faux pas for Mickey. This is going up in all the B1G opponent locker rooms. 3-9 Huskers? That’s not bowl eligible. Joseph channels his inner Shawn Eichorst.

Everyone is chasing Ohio St, the other coaches are just seasoned enough not to say it in an interview.

When to shut up.

I think Mickey is the guy but he needs to understand that statements have consequences.

No one here gives a shit. Take your nonsense to the Herky board.

When to shut up.

Lol, no one is worried about what MJ just said. It’s what every prospective coach says.

Lol, no one is worried about what MJ just said. It’s what every prospective coach says.
I'm kinda worried about it. Like it or not he just gave billboard material to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. There is no better motivator than disrespect. It's bad coaching to provide any fuel for your opponent. Regardless of how it was intended I guarantee Minnesota is using it this week.

I'm kinda worried about it. Like it or not he just gave billboard material to Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. There is no better motivator than disrespect. It's bad coaching to provide any fuel for your opponent. Regardless of how it was intended I guarantee Minnesota is using it this week.
If we lose this week, PJ will probably list this as a motivating factor, but I believe most posters on this board will realize his words will make no difference in the outcome of the game.

If he says this stuff next year, muzzle him. I just think it’s no biggie right now.

I think he does need to ease up on the language aspect, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The part about saving kids lives is easy to look at from 2 different ways, depending on who you are.

If you're a white guy from the burbs, you sort of roll your eyes, because it sounds a bit cheesy.

If you're a black guy from the hood, and I mean a dangerous one, like the one he used to coach at in Louisiana, then it looks a lot more like real truth and is the context in how it should probably be viewed.

MJ is getting a lot of press, and for all the right reasons too. We would be foolish to let him slip through our fingers. And that is something that Trev would never be able to live down.

I think he does need to ease up on the language aspect, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The part about saving kids lives is easy to look at from 2 different ways, depending on who you are.

If you're a white guy from the burbs, you sort of roll your eyes, because it sounds a bit cheesy.

If you're a black guy from the hood, and I mean a dangerous one, like the one he used to coach at in Louisiana, then it looks a lot more like real truth and is the context in how it should probably be viewed.

MJ is getting a lot of press, and for all the right reasons too. We would be foolish to let him slip through our fingers. And that is something that Trev would never be able to live down.
He literally fostered 75 kids after Katrina

found them a home and lived with them for a year as their de facto father

you will not read about this or hear about this from Mickey, but it happened and likely in lieu of him taking a higher coaching post

many here want to throw him out with asshole dipshit embarrassment frost’s soiled bath water when it’s beyond obvious he is the coach we should’ve hired all along

we are incredibly lucky Tom Osborne got him to hand that letter over the fence all those years ago

you will not read about this or hear about this from Mickey, but it happened and likely in lieu of him taking a higher coaching post

many here want to throw him out with asshole dipshit embarrassment frost’s soiled bath water when it’s beyond obvious he is the coach we should’ve hired all along

we are incredibly lucky Tom Osborne got him to hand that letter over the fence all those years ago
If this is even remotely true... and his SI comments... this is the man on paper. I love Mickey, but idk if he is HC guy. I love his energy.

If this is even remotely true... and his SI comments... this is the man on paper. I love Mickey, but idk if he is HC guy. I love his energy.
It's true.. he's talked about what happened during Katrina and how he and the assistant coaches had to go searching for their players and ended up rounding up about half of them and went and stayed at a campground in Florida for 8 or 9 months. He talked about the difficulty as you had to be a coach during the day, but then also a father figure to those boys at night.

It's true.. he's talked about what happened during Katrina and how he and the assistant coaches had to go searching for their players and ended up rounding up about half of them and went and stayed at a campground in Florida for 8 or 9 months. He talked about the difficulty as you had to be a coach during the day, but then also a father figure to those boys at night.
He's a great man. There is absolutely no question about that. He stands with all our NU boys; no question.

I see 2 worst-case scenarios with Mickey. And one best-case scenario.

What is the best-case scenario? Mickey has not been hired for the head job at NU and moved on to another school, become a head coach, and struggles to build a winning program. That scenario would make me feel bad for Mickey, but, perhaps NU dodged a bullet in bypassing him for HC.

#1 worst-case scenario. Mickey is bypassed, becomes disgruntled, and moves on, only to be replaced by a top recruiter or recruiting staff that is ineffective and fails to produce decent results.

#2 worst-case scenario. Mickey leaves and soon gets a head coaching job "somewhere" in P5, and over the course of 2-3 years builds a monster. In this scenario, NU and its fans realize a giant mistake may have been made and would be reminded every time his team wins a big game.

Hire a home run coach who is near the end of the road or who never stays anywhere more than a few years. Retain MJ. Problem works itself out. Make him the associate head coach and then he will get the experience he needs.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Properly? Why don’t you just say you’ll only be happy if They bring Frank or Tom out of retirement.
If we are being honest, Frank wasn't smart enough to run it properly either. NU used a very unique blocking scheme and no matter how hard Milt tried to explain it to him, it never clicked. He was lucky he had the talent he did.

I see 2 worst-case scenarios with Mickey. And one best-case scenario.

What is the best-case scenario? Mickey has not been hired for the head job at NU and moved on to another school, become a head coach, and struggles to build a winning program. That scenario would make me feel bad for Mickey, but, perhaps NU dodged a bullet in bypassing him for HC.

#1 worst-case scenario. Mickey is bypassed, becomes disgruntled, and moves on, only to be replaced by a top recruiter or recruiting staff that is ineffective and fails to produce decent results.

#2 worst-case scenario. Mickey leaves and soon gets a head coaching job "somewhere" in P5, and over the course of 2-3 years builds a monster. In this scenario, NU and its fans realize a giant mistake may have been made and would be reminded every time his team wins a big game.

Wouldn’t the best case scenario be Mickey is hired by Nebraska, wins big, and everyone lives happily ever after?

Wouldn’t the best case scenario be Mickey is hired by Nebraska, wins big, and everyone lives happily ever after?
The scenarios I laid out were all based on Mickey leaving, not staying.

My best-case scenario was based on Mickey not being hired and moving on and failing to have good success meaning NU may have dodged a bullet in not hiring him.

You realize this is all hypothetical?

Of course, Mickey staying and having great success is the best scenario for Mickey, the program, the fans, etc.

Reactions: headcard
The scenarios I laid out were all based on Mickey leaving, not staying.

My best-case scenario was based on Mickey not being hired and moving on and failing to have good success meaning NU may have dodged a bullet in not hiring him.

You realize this is all hypothetical?

Of course, Mickey staying and having great success is the best scenario for Mickey, the program, the fans, etc.

OK. I guess I didn't see where you said they were all based on him leaving. I want the best for Mickey, but selfishly him staying as a position coach is the surest thing for Nebraska.

my best case scenario, is mickey as oc, and arnada as hc...the 2 combined to win the big every year and 2 or 3 back to back national championships..then mickey leaving to lsu as hc and wining a few there (when we are not).
and arnada building a very solid coaching tree for decades to come, from which we draweth from into the future.

OK. I guess I didn't see where you said they were all based on him leaving. I want the best for Mickey, but selfishly him staying as a position coach is the surest thing for Nebraska.
Only someone with zero dignity would accept a public demotion and say “yes, sir” to the person who now sits where you sat

tell me - do you believe Mickey to have no dignity? I sure as hell don’t

Reactions: leodisflowers
Only someone with zero dignity would accept a public demotion and say “yes, sir” to the person who now sits where you sat

tell me - do you believe Mickey to have no dignity? I sure as hell don’t

It's not a public demotion. He is the "interim" coach, they often go back to their previous role after the season. Donte Williams at USC, Luke Fickel at OSU, etc, etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Depends on the cash! GET THAT BAG!

I would rather get "demoted" and make say, 750K a year instead of leave to be a WR coach for 400K a year.

But I am one of those nuts that likes the idea of making more money instead of less.

That is a lot of extra scratch.

I believe Shawn Eichorst said the same thing, and then we've proceeded to lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin 7 years in a row since.

We need to start beating the Iowas and Wisconsins before we even think about getting close to Ohio State's level. We have out-recruited Iowa and Wisconsin every year....the problem has been player development, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.....what is Mickey's plan to fix that?
Pay the cash for the best assistants & coordinators you can get. Call me crazy, but I think MJ gets it.

Not a problem for Auburn
Did he actually sign a contract with Liberty? Or did they just agree on the terms of a contract that he hasn't signed yet? In any event, these quotes from him after the Arkansas game on Saturday sure makes it sound like he's interested in the Auburn job:
“'I don’t know that Auburn wants me. I have no clue,' Freeze told 247Sports. 'I know this: I have won everywhere I’ve been and my staff and kids have turned programs fast. It’s our culture that we instill. I know we do that and the proof is in the pudding.'”

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...-auburn-job-after-libertys-upset-of-arkansas/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT