ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated Profiles Mickey

king_kong_

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2021
great read. some highlights:

Mickey's brother, Vance, when asked about Mickey's experience:
“Mickey’s had a chance to move up many times,” Vance says. “He’s never been in a job for the money. He could have been in the NFL seven or eight years ago. I’ve called him four or five times for jobs.

“He just coaches the game. He saves kids’ lives.”

Mickey on what he took over and where he sees the program:
“They were taking kids and rushing [the process]. That’s why the roster gets screwed up,” Joseph says. Critics often tell Joseph the only reason LSU won the 2019 national title is because they had really good players. His response: “Well, yeah, that’s what you need!”

“You got to recruit your ass off,” he continues. “We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

---

“Everybody wants Nebraska to stay sleeping because we’ve got the resources, and they know I can get players,” Joseph says during a phone conversation from his office last week. “They don’t want this f---er to wake up.”

“Mickey’s had a chance to move up many times,” Vance says. “He’s never been in a job for the money. He could have been in the NFL seven or eight years ago. I’ve called him four or five times for jobs.

“They were taking kids and rushing [the process]. That’s why the roster gets screwed up,” Joseph says. Critics often tell Joseph the only reason LSU won the 2019 national title is because they had really good players. His response: “Well, yeah, that’s what you need!”

“You got to recruit your ass off,” he continues. “We ain’t chasing Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. We are chasing Ohio State.”

---

“Everybody wants Nebraska to stay sleeping because we’ve got the resources, and they know I can get players,” Joseph says during a phone conversation from his office last week. “They don’t want this f---er to wake up.”
Mickey just has to be the next HC.

I love the guy. Other then Urban, I didn't really want anyone else for the job. But now I'm just not sure if he's the one who can turn this thing around. And that's not just because he lost on Saturday. I feel like the program might need a clean slate.

But it's a good thing I'm not making any decisions lol.

If he's serious about this program then he should stay on even if he doesn't get the head position. Especially if TA ends up with a coach that is an actual success and not within his first contract.

Otherwise he'll have to prove it on the field and at this moment I'm afraid you might as well buy a lottery ticket and expect to win.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
I like how he’s focused on reaching the top and not settling for mediocrity.
I’d love to see what kind of recruiting he could get done to finish this class and bring in the next class- a significant challenge.
If he can bring the talent, he’d have a chance to succeed.
What makes me nervous about most other candidates is their ability to recruit.
At the same time, MJ doesn’t have that resume proving his capacity to run an entire program, but his work ethic seems second to none.

This speaks volumes of what he is up against. Thanks for the article, great read.

"He’s bringing Oregon’s energy, recruiting acumen and physicality. Change is in the air here. While Orgeron fired LSU’s offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, upon taking over in 2016, Joseph fired Nebraska’s defensive coordinator, Erik Chinander. He promoted Busch, who was the 2019 LSU staff with Joseph.

Joseph introduced physicality in practice. Under Frost, the Huskers didn’t go full speed and rarely tackled.

“The first practice, I announced that the nine-on-seven portion was live, and they were shocked,” Joseph says. “If you are losing, you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again.”"

---

Uh oh. Mickey said a naughty word.

---

That last quote is what really seals the deal for me with MJ. That’s leadership and that’s a man who knows what it takes. A man with vision. He knows we have resources. He knows he can recruit. And he knows what Nebraska can be. All he has to do is flip the roster and get coaches who will support his vision and he’ll win. I know he doesn’t r have experience. And that will most certainly lose games. But he can recruit players and coaches to get more wins than losses and he can grow into the HC roll. I say roll the dice on a guy who has never done it. He’s hungry and sometimes that means more to an organization than a guy with a shiny resume.

I believe Shawn Eichorst said the same thing, and then we've proceeded to lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin 7 years in a row since.

We need to start beating the Iowas and Wisconsins before we even think about getting close to Ohio State's level. We have out-recruited Iowa and Wisconsin every year....the problem has been player development, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.....what is Mickey's plan to fix that?

I believe Shawn Eichorst said the same thing, and then we've proceeded to lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin 7 years in a row since.

We need to start beating the Iowas and Wisconsins before we even think about getting close to Ohio State's level. We have out-recruited Iowa and Wisconsin every year....the problem has been player development, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.....what is Mickey's plan to fix that?
We gotta start with the Georgia southerns. Let’s really lower expectations

I love the guy. Other then Urban, I didn't really want anyone else for the job. But now I'm just not sure if he's the one who can turn this thing around. And that's not just because he lost on Saturday. I feel like the program might need a clean slate.

But it's a good thing I'm not making any decisions lol.
I agree. Maybe add Kiffin to my list. Perhaps a couple others. But the few plausible and most likely candidates (in my mind) don't really row my boat.

Us judging or getting upset with Joseph for not winning with Frost's players and coaches (after taking over midseason) is akin to getting upset that Joseph can't fit the same exact square peg into a round hole.

"Give me a homerun hire or give me Joseph."
- Patrick Henry

I agree. Maybe add Kiffin to my list. Perhaps a couple others. But the few plausible and most likely candidates (in my mind) don't really row my boat.

Us judging or getting upset with Joseph for not winning with Frost's players and coaches (after taking over midseason) is akin to getting upset that Joseph can't fit the same exact square peg into a round hole.

"Give me a homerun hire or give me Joseph."
- Patrick Henry
No one can row a boat like PJ Fleck, 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂.

It also sounds like something stupid Frost would say. Brilliant move, giving billboard material to 3 of our next 4 opponents.

Reactions: Minn1954
I won't be all offended if mickey is hired, but I do think it's smarter to get someone with head coaching experince at p5, like a arnanda, leipold, campbell, etc... then keep mickey....
trev would be seriously rolling the dice with mickey...thats not an attack on mickey..just a buisness decision on who has experience and a track record as head coach...I would defintly bump mickey up to oc...unless the coach we got had a steller oc..either of the 3 ways I think this interum head coach position helps mickey

Reactions: BleedRed78
I won't be all offended if mickey is hired, but I do think it's smarter to get someone with head coaching experince at p5, like a arnanda, leipold, campbell, etc... then keep mickey....
trev would be seriously rolling the dice with mickey...thats not an attack on mickey..just a buisness decision on who has experience and a track record as head coach...I would defintly bump mickey up to oc...unless the coach we got had a steller oc..either of the 3 ways I think this interum head coach position helps mickey
The more I’ve watched Aranda the less impressed I’ve been with him. IF you want I formation smash mouth football, I think you want O’Brien. Don’t put too much stock in what Saban has him run.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak

---

I like everything Mickey said up to the point when he used the word ****er.

I use that word all the time. It's used frequently by a lot of people, but I'd rather not see it come from a football coach in a magazine.

I think Mickey can make his points, and express his passion for the team and school without that type of description. It's not a big deal, we all know college athletics is not a tea party, and filthy mouths are found everywhere.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I like everything Mickey said up to the point when he used the word ****er.

I use that word all the time. It's used frequently by a lot of people, but I'd rather not see it come from a football coach in a magazine.

I think Mickey can make his points, and express his passion for the team and school without that type of description. It's not a big deal, we all know college athletics is not a tea party, and filthy mouths are found everywhere.
His brother used it. We don’t really know if that was the actual word Mickey used or not

His brother used it. We don’t really know if that was the actual word Mickey used or not
I didn't read the SI article, but, in kong's post, it seems apparent Mickey said it.

"....they know I can get players"....Joseph said during the phone conversation, "they don't want this f***** to wake up." I take that as Mickey saying it.

No big deal, not a point worth arguing about.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I didn't read the SI article, but, in kong's post, it seems apparent Mickey said it.

"....they know I can get players"....Joseph said during the phone conversation, "they don't want this f***** to wake up." I take that as Mickey saying it.

No big deal, not a point worth arguing about.
I could be wrong too. My impression was that the phone conversation was Vance recounting what Mickey had said.

The more I’ve watched Aranda the less impressed I’ve been with him. IF you want I formation smash mouth football, I think you want O’Brien. Don’t put too much stock in what Saban has him run.
obrian just doesn't look smart enough to run it properly

O’ Brien has a great resume for sure and not saying he wouldn’t be home run hire, but there is still something fishy about him that I’m concerned with..

How do you feel about someone like Freeze or someone like Jamey Chadwell who has a good offensive mind but no Power5 experience..

O’ Brien has a great resume for sure and not saying he wouldn’t be home run hire, but there is still something fishy about him that I’m concerned with..

How do you feel about someone like Freeze or someone like Jamey Chadwell who has a good offensive mind but no Power5 experience..
I think BoB scares husker fans because they are worried that if he does well..he will leave.

Very lukewarm on Chadwell. I’ve seen some very questionable game management when I’ve
Watched his team. Freeze is a strong no. Freeze is a strong no. As a CEO there’s no way you should hire a guy with Freeze’s baggage.

I think BoB scares husker fans because they are worried that if he does well..he will leave.
That part doesn’t worry me… His ability to recruit this part of the country is my biggest concern ..

This isn’t western Pennsylvania..

Very lukewarm on Chadwell. I’ve seen some very questionable game management when I’ve
Watched his team. Freeze is a strong no. Freeze is a strong no. As a CEO there’s no way you should hire a guy with Freeze’s baggage.
Chadwell in my opinion would be a little bit better that SF 2.0

ADVERTISEMENT