ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation on Sports Huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be moronic to fire Frost at this point. I think he can still get it done. But, that doesn’t change the fact that he has done a pretty horrible job thus far.

agreed times infinity. He’s a great Head Coach but he’s a young Head Coach and all HC make mistakes...more so the young ones compared to the old guys. Frost is still learning himself. But he’s the correct guy for the job and we will glad we have him once he’s got our offense humming and Chin or whoever gets his guys in place for defense. GBR

Reactions: Dean Pope
Well, we didn’t get to six wins and quite honestly we had no business losing to Colorado, Indiana, or Purdue. But, that’s been Frost’s story so far and his inability to but W’s on the board. “Maybe” some coaching mistakes...Laughing
I won’t argue, they could have easily had 8-9 wins yes coaching has a lot to do with it, but players need to step up and make a big play. I remember like in 78 79, not exactly sure what year but Nebraska was playing Oklahoma st and the okie st receiver or running had a break away run but Derry Nelson ran him down saved a touchdown. That’s just one example

It almost seems like there were some promises made to a few kids (qb and center). If that is true it will turn bad fast. I like Frost and I think he is our man, but watching horrible snaps and horrible play from Martinez all year with no apparent consequence I am a little concerned going forward.

I think it would be moronic to fire Frost at this point. I think he can still get it done. But, that doesn’t change the fact that he has done a pretty horrible job thus far.
I wonder why he is struggling so badly. IMO I think it has a lot to do with his inability to adjust to ever changing game time situations as well as him not realizing the BIG is way different than AAC. Or maybe he realizes it, but doesn't know how to adapt his style to it.

I wonder why he is struggling so badly. IMO I think it has a lot to do with his inability to adjust to ever changing game time situations as well as him not realizing the BIG is way different than AAC. Or maybe he realizes it, but doesn't know how to adapt his style to it.

Going to give him sometime this off season to figure it out...

Could be his ego has gotten away going Unbeaten at UCF let’s hope he does figure it out, but he also needs to recruit good players like he had at UCF to make it work which he has to also adjust too..

Going to give him sometime this off season to figure it out...

Could be his ego has gotten away going Unbeaten at UCF let’s hope he does figure it out, but he also needs to recruit good players like he had at UCF to make it work which he has to also adjust too..
The thing that gives me hope is that Nebraska is Frost’s dream job. He wants to win here more than anybody. Therefore, I have confidence that he will set his ego aside, learn from his mistakes, and make whatever changes need to be made.

I didn’t think they could block transfers anymore??
National rules say you cant but conferences can make their own rules from my understanding. It would be pretty screwed up if he did block him since he got one from Michigan.

Reactions: headcard
agreed times infinity. He’s a great Head Coach but he’s a young Head Coach and all HC make mistakes...more so the young ones compared to the old guys. Frost is still learning himself. But he’s the correct guy for the job and we will glad we have him once he’s got our offense humming and Chin or whoever gets his guys in place for defense. GBR
The big test will be if he is willing to change when something isn’t working or be stubborn and not change. Many coaches have lost their jobs because of stubbornness.

The thing that gives me hope is that Nebraska is Frost’s dream job. He wants to win here more than anybody. Therefore, I have confidence that he will set his ego aside, learn from his mistakes, and make whatever changes need to be made.
Right, my hope is once the craziness of the season is over. He will have time to really reflect, watch film, and pin point his and this teams failures. I wouldn't be upset if he does decided to make some assistant changes. However I don't see that happening. Giving them all another year isn't unreasonable. Especially considering what dewitt has been going through.

If it happens and we kick their asses next year it would be beautiful on many levels. From a fan level I think it sucks and is selfish as players to abandon their team and go to a rival. On a game/ player level. I can see where he would be coming from. He has one year left. MN is having success, Nebraska is not. He has a coach who refuses to make changes at QB position. He is from there. I can't blame him

Wisky showed what happens to minn with any pass rush whatsoever. That plus t think they were loaded with seniors this year. I expect them to be back on the bottom next year.

Reactions: husker2612
It almost seems like there were some promises made to a few kids (qb and center). If that is true it will turn bad fast. I like Frost and I think he is our man, but watching horrible snaps and horrible play from Martinez all year with no apparent consequence I am a little concerned going forward.
You didn’t see horrible snaps all year.

IMO the problem is that his options are limited with the roster he has. Losing he best safety to injury. Losing Martinez for weeks, then Vedral then McCaffrey. Mo Washington going off the deep end. Wandale getting beat up and finally couldn't go anymore. We were thin on options to begin with then we just kept taking hits. I got to see how poorly OSU's offense performed yesterday when Fields had to sit down for a while. One guy can make a huge difference and just about the time our O line was getting things worked out somewhat, Wandale goes down. I am hopeful given how, once again, our team played these last 3 games. Hopefully next year we can come out firing right out of the gates. Offensively we should be able to.

Last edited:
Wait... so you don’t think he will qualify?
He was definitely behind the 8 ball when it comes to being eligible, but NU put a plan together for him that if he follows it, he can become eligible. I think at one point he was pretty resigned to the fact that he would end up at Iowa Western. NU is top notch when it comes to academic support and being able to put together a plan for kids like this.

Right, my hope is once the craziness of the season is over. He will have time to really reflect, watch film, and pin point his and this teams failures. I wouldn't be upset if he does decided to make some assistant changes. However I don't see that happening. Giving them all another year isn't unreasonable. Especially considering what dewitt has been going through.
Hopefully they go to some coaches clinics and even go to another university like Tom did, they went to Florida st. And I believe a couple coaches from different schools came to Nebraska when Tom was coach. New ideas never hurt

Anyway, back to JD, he WILL be playing football FOR Nebraska in 2020!

Trust me

0*jmhubmtbaSttteov.jpg

So if you believe this rumor, you believe JD was talking to Minnesota staff about this during our season? Or at least having someone else do it?

I don't care, Frost is pissed seeing over the years everything he knew and held dear being completely destroyed by total incompetence from administrative to coaching hires after being involved with the pinnacle of all of FBS which cannot be argued, and I don't blame him one bit. His and Held's mindset is totally the opposite of the shit show that's been all of the coaching hires post Solich. Their mentality is the Glory Years mentality as that is a tried and true mentality. If players don't by in, they can gtfo as Frost will have a program that will mirror his mentality and culture. Nuff said.

I love how a portion of this fanbase laps up the not buying in motto after we were told by Frost himself that Nebraska power in the weight room was back. That saying shows buy in. It isn't until the wheels fell off this season that we started hearing "we need better players". In reality it's Frost's own fault we aren't going bowling this year. In reality if Frost wants to run his mouth about player performance he needs to do it in the locker room, not to the media. He also needs to back up his mouth running about player performance with sitting players but I didn't and don't see that happening.

Anyway, back to JD, he WILL be playing football FOR Nebraska in 2020!

Trust me

0*jmhubmtbaSttteov.jpg
Not sure there is any way for any of us to know right now. A lot of factors in play, including his draft grade. Anyone know when players typical get those?

Boat rowing convention? Maybe sweater vest enthusiast club?
:) Minneapolis in some ways is a smallish city when it comes to sports figures. When you got to TWolves, Vikings or Twins games the Gopher coaches will sometimes be seen there. Spielman has scouted and signed some Gopher football players and no doubt is looking at one this year. I would be very surprised if he doesn't hit some Gopher practices. It's just too easy.

Hopefully they go to some coaches clinics and even go to another university like Tom did, they went to Florida st. And I believe a couple coaches from different schools came to Nebraska when Tom was coach. New ideas never hurt
I have said this several times. Would be a great idea. Go somewhere like Cal, where Wilcox runs a good 3-4 defense and would love to learn some of Frosts offensive thoughts (presumably).

Last edited:
National rules say you cant but conferences can make their own rules from my understanding. It would be pretty screwed up if he did block him since he got one from Michigan.

Big Ten allows graduate transfers with no limits, schools have no say in them and they can play immediately. Undergrads must sit a year with few exceptions.

Even his most recent post-game news conference included a comment that we need better players. While it is surely true, it’s not a great look for the coach to be seen as deflecting blame. Can he really believe all coaches are doing an excellent job in all phases as Billy C would say?
It is the job of every coach to try and recruit better players than what they have on the roster, people read to much into that comment by Frost.

I don't care, Frost is pissed seeing over the years everything he knew and held dear being completely destroyed by total incompetence from administrative to coaching hires after being involved with the pinnacle of all of FBS which cannot be argued, and I don't blame him one bit. His and Held's mindset is totally the opposite of the shit show that's been all of the coaching hires post Solich. Their mentality is the Glory Years mentality as that is a tried and true mentality. If players don't by in, they can gtfo as Frost will have a program that will mirror his mentality and culture. Nuff said.

This one takes the cake. A lot of programs have had "glory years" and made efforts to replicate every aspect to obtain the same results. Copy it all you want and expect the same results, pipe dream. Different era, different players, different parameters, different NCAA. Frost can copy every practice to the exact time and drill and it won't be the same. Keep dreaming though.

Big Ten allows graduate transfers with no limits, schools have no say in them and they can play immediately. Undergrads must sit a year with few exceptions.
But can coaches block a player from transferring to a certain school?

This one takes the cake. A lot of programs have had "glory years" and made efforts to replicate every aspect to obtain the same results. Copy it all you want and expect the same results, pipe dream. Different era, different players, different parameters, different NCAA. Frost can copy every practice to the exact time and drill and it won't be the same. Keep dreaming though.
Doesn't matter, still same mindset as that never leaves.

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s what I thought.
It used to be that when a player wanted to leave a program the coach has to sign release paperwork and sometimes they may block certain schools. Now, once a name goes into the portal, they are open to anyone.

Everyone been cheering Frost for running out those who won’t “buy in.” If JD’s one of them, and you think Frost is the guy, then you should have zero problem with JD moving on, in fact you should be excited about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT