ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation on Sports Huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minnesota had two 1000 yard receivers this year so that would be attractive

He also was close to KW (who was NOT poisoning the well like some past assistants) and I'm not so sure that has developed with TW

Minnesota had two 1000 yard receivers this year so that would be attractive

He also was close to KW (who was NOT poisoning the well like some past assistants) and I'm not so sure that has developed with TW
JD might not even start if he transferred to Minnesota. They have 2 returning WRs that are better than him.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I would argue Speilman wants to play on Sundays, and play where he feels he can be spotlighted in the best possible way. This isn't about Nebraska or HCSF, it's about the kid, and I 100% support that decision.

He has played his ass off here, nothing but love for that kid. Do what makes you happy bud, you've earned it.

JD seems clearly the type of player we don't want to transfer and can't afford to given the ??? at that position. If this were to happen it shouts a problem with his relationship with the coaches, faith in the coaches or faith in NU's prospects for winning. A bad look no matter how you slice it for NU/Frost, and one I'm sure opposing coaches will leverage to the fullest in competing for recruits. His dad being an NFL GM adds to the weight of the issue for NU, whether or not he had any influence in the decision. Hope it doesn't happen, but fear it could with all the smoke.

If true, it’s a very poor reflection of this program and it’s players. The fans care much more about this program than its players, which is ridiculous. I mean could you imagine playing for the Huskers and transferring to a another team, particularly within the conference. The fan support is also beginning to crumble which will really be the end. Dark days are ahead. The good news is they can’t get much darker.

A couple weeks ago this was brought up and @Tuco Salamanca has some insights. As I recall he said that JD did not like the way the staff pushes the players and Frost sees JD as one of the players that never “bought in”. Maybe Tuco can fill in any of the blanks I don’t remember.

I hope JD is happy and sticks it out and that this is just rumor spreading from the Twin Cities, but we will probably find out soon.
These coaches are too tough on the players? Wow, that seems pretty off the wall. Imagine any of them playing for Bo, Woody, Kush, Bear Bryant or Devaney. They would surely sue for child abuse.

JD seems clearly the type of player we don't want to transfer and can't afford to given the ??? at that position. If this were to happen it shouts a problem with his relationship with the coaches, faith in the coaches or faith in NU's prospects for winning. A bad look no matter how you slice it for NU/Frost, and one I'm sure opposing coaches will leverage to the fullest in competing for recruits. His dad being an NFL GM adds to the weight of the issue for NU, whether or not he had any influence in the decision. Hope it doesn't happen, but fear it could with all the smoke.

Not necessarily, relationships are a two way street and both parties need to be fully invested in the development

IF JD would leave, and I see why he might want to, it will be for personal reasons. He's the feature WR in our offense. He wouldn't be that at Minnesota but IF he played he wouldn't be drawing doubles. He would be the third WR.
They rarely use 3 WR. That could change if JD went there, but it’s one of many reasons this doesn’t make much sense .

Reactions: Thrasher31
They rarely use 3 WR. That could change if JD went there, but it’s one of many reasons this doesn’t make much sense .
Like I said, IF he were to leave I think it would be more for personal reasons than anything. Who knows sometimes what goes through a young guy's head. I can remember all too well being that age and some of the stress of college and dating and I didn't have to worry about people talking about me on social media. I could see where a kid in his spot could believe that transferring would relieve some stress.

Tyler Johnson is a Sr

(Again, I could see this going either way on JD)
Yep. They have 2 younger WRs who are both probably NFL caliber as well. I've heard them talked about on sports radio from there on several occassions.

Why would they lose faith in him? He has gone 9-15 and in those 15 losses it’s never been his fault. It’s always been the older guys for “not buying in”.
Even his most recent post-game news conference included a comment that we need better players. While it is surely true, it’s not a great look for the coach to be seen as deflecting blame. Can he really believe all coaches are doing an excellent job in all phases as Billy C would say?

I hope this isn't true

The Spielman's are very well respected names in the football community. Rick is the Vikings GM and his brother Rob is the VP of football operations. It is not going to help if they offer less than complimentary words concerning Frost and staff in casual conversation as the the football world is very small and word travels fast.

Likewise, while Mike Riley did not win big here, he is universally highly respected and liked by his peers. Frost has been very intentional and forward in his criticism of the prior staffs schemes, work ethic instilled, leadership, etc, etc.

That is something you just don't do if you hope to garner any good will in the football community outside of Nebraska.

Frost had a lot of praise after the hire from national figures - I don't see the benefit of taking shots at the prior staff or the players recruited by that staff. This approach, IMO, has led to the vast majority of "buy-in" and culture problems that might exist.

Bottom-line Frost doesn't take the chance saying these things if he doesn't think he's here for 5-7 years and completely set financially for the rest of his life, which is one of the problems I have with his personality-type. He's all-in with a stacked-deck and losing too many hands, but walks away from the table with $20mil + after tax.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Unfortunately a lot of stuff that gets talked about on sports radio is message board crap that gets repeated. We'll see.

1) I don't think he was injured much this year.
2) I don't think his dad is advocating him leaving NU. It isn't however a good look for Frost BUT I think JD was a Gebbia supporter. I'm not sure he has a lot of friends on the team. He's awfully quiet.
3) He may well be sick of losing.
4) Walters is just fine as the WR coach. Ask Kurt Warner how he feels about him.
5) I don't know about JD's backup. That may end up being true. I believe JD is replaceable but we'll have to see IF he leaves.
1. I think your right in regards to not missing a game but he was most definitely hurt during the Illinois game and after. I don’t think he was ever 100% all year.
2. You have no basis for the statement but even if it’s true, the perception of a GM moving his kid out of NU is bad. A recruiter would use that. I’d use that. Regardless of it’s true or not. Truth is only hearsay
3. We agree
4. Great that Kurt Warner believes in him. Love the guy but I’ve watched enough of Kurt on the NFL network to know he’s not always right and proven wrong many times. Plus Walters results at NU prove otherwise. And yes, I’m a results guy!!! It’s the most important thing. What else is there?
5. Time will tell. Neither of us can argue that

Even his most recent post-game news conference included a comment that we need better players. While it is surely true, it’s not a great look for the coach to be seen as deflecting blame. Can he really believe all coaches are doing well in all phases as Billy C would say?
I do kind of cringe when he says that. He speaks the truth though and if a guy on the roster thinks he can't compete for a spot then maybe it's time to move on. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, MAKE YOURSELF A BETTER PLAYER!

IF JD would leave, and I see why he might want to, it will be for personal reasons. He's the feature WR in our offense. He wouldn't be that at Minnesota but IF he played he wouldn't be drawing doubles. He would be the third WR.

MN offense would be practically unstoppable in the passing game if those 2 WR you mentioned are not graduating? Both the top 2 MN receivers are NFL caliber, and they would add a third piece that would feast on single coverage.

1. I think your right in regards to not missing a game but he was most definitely hurt during the Illinois game and after. I don’t think he was ever 100% all year
2. You have no basis for the statement but even if it’s true, the perception of a GM moving his kid out of NU is bad. A recruiter would use that. I’d use that. Regardless of it’s true or not. Truth is only hearsay
3. We agree
4. Great that Kurt Warner believes in him. Love the guy but I’ve watched enough of Kurt on the NFL network to know he’s not always right and proven wrong many times. Plus Walters results at NU prove otherwise. And yes, I’m a results guy!!! It’s the most important thing. What else is there?
5. Time will tell. Neither of us can argue that
I don't know how you can say that Walters' results at NU prove otherwise. What the hell objective criteria are you using? JD=record setter. Spielman=record setter. Hunt was going to be a huge part of our offense this year until he got stupid. Warner=reliable. Wandale=spectacular in the slot. What's Walters supposed to do? It isn't Walters' fault that Martinez can't find and hit an open receiver. For the most part our guys are catching the balls thrown near them and are getting open IF they get enough time to run routes.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
MN offense would be practically unstoppable in the passing game if those 2 WR you mentioned are not graduating? Both the top 2 MN receivers are NFL caliber, and they would add a third piece that would feast on single coverage.
The top guy is graduating. Their 2nd and 3rd WRs have been talked about on Minneapolis radio AND by at least one national guy I've listened to as NFL caliber receivers as well.

I don't know how you can say that Walters' results at NU prove otherwise. What the hell objective criteria are you using? JD=record setter. Spielman=record setter. Hunt was going to be a huge part of our offense this year until he got stupid. Warner=reliable. Wandale=spectacular in the slot. What's Walters supposed to do? It isn't Walters' fault that Martinez can't find and hit an open receiver. For the most part our guys are catching the balls thrown near them and are getting open IF they get enough time to run routes.

So Walters is a great coach and it’s not his fault that he can’t get so many of his young WR on the field? Got it. Thanks. Feel like I’ve herd this story from you already about coaches that later got fired and didn’t find another respectable job.

Bottom-line Frost doesn't take the chance saying these things if he doesn't think he's here for 5-7 years and completely set financially for the rest of his life, which is one of the problems I have with his personality-type. He's all-in with a stacked-deck and losing too many hands, but walks away from the table with $20mil + after tax.

It is not the ability of Frost to get another job that concerns me with those comments - it is uncomplimentary talk about Frost from those in the football world diffusing out about his culture that can negatively effect recruiting, etc

You don't trash people that are well respected in the coaching community or your current players regardless of who recruited them

Last edited:
So Walters is a great coach and it’s not his fault that he can’t get so many of his young WR on the field? Got it. Thanks.
If they aren't ready, they aren't ready. Most of the kids we landed are not very big and need some time. We've played at least one of them some. They don't do their job as well as Warner and aren't going to play instead of Spielman. That doesn't leave many opportunities as Spielman rarely left the field. They'll play next year. Mike Williams has the speed, size, experience and blocking ability over the freshmen so he's played when needed. He graduates this spring.

If it happens and we kick their asses next year it would be beautiful on many levels. From a fan level I think it sucks and is selfish as players to abandon their team and go to a rival. On a game/ player level. I can see where he would be coming from. He has one year left. MN is having success, Nebraska is not. He has a coach who refuses to make changes at QB position. He is from there. I can't blame him
Good luck with that

Funny how two weeks ago we were all bashing Spielman for being a bad team mate because he may or may not have started a boycott against a cold practice, and now frost is the antichrist because this is now a rumor.....as I get older I now understand why some coaches don’t want to come to Lincoln or lose their minds while they’re here. This fan base is psychotic on so many levels.

@kidofSN isn’t usually trolling.. He usually only brings info to the board if he gets it from someone he trusts. He’s been solid with info in the past.
"better hope it's the only player" is looking for a reaction. We've got enough people off the deep end without starting more speculation. JMHO. Thanks for weighing in.

"better hope it's the only player" is looking for a reaction. We've got enough people off the deep end without starting more speculation. JMHO. Thanks for weighing in.
That’s what this board is for. Conversation and speculation. Choose to trust who you want to trust. No need to call out someone who feels they are bing some info. I just know that he has brought good info in the past and if he is wrong, has admitted it. He even said that in another post.

I don't want him to go, but if he isn't fully bought in then his leaving may be less harmful to our team than it would appear based on his talent.

That’s what this board is for. Conversation and speculation. Choose to trust who you want to trust. No need to call out someone who feels they are bing some info. I just know that he has brought good info in the past and if he is wrong, has admitted it. He even said that in another post.
Well IF he has information on somebody else who is leaving he thinks is leaving then he should just post it. He's brought up JD leaving several times in several different threads. We'll see if he was right or just throwing crap at the wall eventually. I just don't see the need for it. It's almost as if he's gleeful that it might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT