ADVERTISEMENT

Speculation on Sports Huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSK

Oct 29, 2001
On WCCO in the twin cities this morning the hosts are talking about the Gophers getting a Big Ten player who just entered the transfer portal. His father has no comment so far.

When would the public be able to see if a player has entered the portal?

Not a Frost recruit and MN returns their Soph Qb, but doesn't he have to sit a year in-conference?
Not a Frost recruit. I know. But he wasn’t a Fleck recruit either. He is also a lock to be a starter next year here, and to break a ton of records at Nebraska. He also, I am sure, has teammates at NU who are his good friends,

That means the ONLY reason he would transfer is he does not like Frost. Not a good sign.

He’d have to be a grad transfer- and not sure if there’s an issue with inter-conference move.
It’d be an awful thing to have happen, but I still don’t see it happening.... unless it happens to happen.

Maybe David Alston?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Not a Frost recruit. I know. But he wasn’t a Fleck recruit either. He is also a lock to be a starter next year here, and to break a ton of records at Nebraska. He also, I am sure, has teammates at NU who are his good friends,

That means the ONLY reason he would transfer is he does not like Frost. Not a good sign.

And/Or Walters

So many mixed feelings about this.
1) if he’s gone, let’s be honest, he was a great playmaker but unreliable due to always being injured. In football if your a guy whose always been hurt like that in the past, you’ll never be fully healthy going forward .

2) this reflects very poorly on Scott. A SR who would take down the school record next year leaving his teammates like this and whose dad is a GM of the Vikings. This isn’t a helicopter parent thinking they know what’s best for their kid. This is a person who knows football and if he thinks his kids better off learning from PJ for one year then finishing his career off at NU, Ugh.

3. Can you blame JD? He’s never been to a bowl game. He doesn’t give a crap about what Scott did here a million years ago. He’s just tired of losing and Scott’s personal isn’t making anyone believers no of day.

4. he wants to go to the next level. Is Walters someone who can coach anyone up? Seriously.

5. JD’s back up in the slot is better then him

If Spielman goes to Minnesota that will be a kick in the nuts
If it happens and we kick their asses next year it would be beautiful on many levels. From a fan level I think it sucks and is selfish as players to abandon their team and go to a rival. On a game/ player level. I can see where he would be coming from. He has one year left. MN is having success, Nebraska is not. He has a coach who refuses to make changes at QB position. He is from there. I can't blame him

If it happens and we kick their asses next year it would be beautiful on many levels. From a fan level I think it sucks and is selfish as players to abandon their team and go to a rival. On a game/ player level. I can see where he would be coming from. He has one year left. MN is having success, Nebraska is not. He has a coach who refuses to make changes at QB position. He is from there. I can't blame him
He might also be sick of the endless swing passes and zero vertical passing game.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he graduates this month or next May, doesn't it give him the freedom to play anywhere next fall?

Also, if he's "all in" for dear old Nebraska U, he knows this chatter is out there, wouldn't he publicly come out and deny it? For a guy who has repeatedly declined to speak to the media this season, for me anyway, tells me all I need to know and maybe he just wants to play one season in front family and friends. Can't fault him for that.

GBR!

It is obvious Frost is playing fav in Martinez. I can't imagine the frustration as WR, knowing you have a better QBs on the bench and the HC refuses to play them. If he does trans, I think you are right, the only reason is because he doesn't trust Frost.

He might also be sick of the endless swing passes and zero vertical passing game.
He had over 800 yards receiving each of the past two years. I think it is much more of a personal and fit issue He was very close to Riley and KW. He never hit it off with Frost and Walters. He thought about leaving last year, allegedly. and decided to stick it out (probably his dads advice).

A couple weeks ago this was brought up and @Tuco Salamanca has some insights. As I recall he said that JD did not like the way the staff pushes the players and Frost sees JD as one of the players that never “bought in”. Maybe Tuco can fill in any of the blanks I don’t remember.

I hope JD is happy and sticks it out and that this is just rumor spreading from the Twin Cities, but we will probably find out soon.

Last edited:

I would argue Speilman wants to play on Sundays, and play where he feels he can be spotlighted in the best possible way. This isn't about Nebraska or HCSF, it's about the kid, and I 100% support that decision.

He has played his ass off here, nothing but love for that kid. Do what makes you happy bud, you've earned it.

If this is true and If is a big If, absolutely devastating to Frost and this team trying to re-build. He's a weapon that cannot be replaced next year.

In fact, HAVING Speilman was a big reason Scott had a shot to rebuild this in 2-3 years. Jesus man I hope this isn't true.

Reactions: Red I 73
It is obvious Frost is playing fav in Martinez. I can't imagine the frustration as WR, knowing you have a better QBs on the bench and the HC refuses to play them. If he does trans, I think you are right, the only reason is because he doesn't trust Frost.

and the HC rarely if ever gives direct blame to the qb. Usually it’s “not just the QBs fault” from the coach to protect the QBs psyche. My opinion.

I also do not believe he can go into the portal as a grad transfer without the degree. So that’s at least a couple weeks away or potentially six months away

Reactions: headcard
On WCCO in the twin cities this morning the hosts are talking about the Gophers getting a Big Ten player who just entered the transfer portal. His father has no comment so far.
When was the segment? Who was talking about it?

Reactions: kdoogg
He’d have to be a grad transfer- and not sure if there’s an issue with inter-conference move.
It’d be an awful thing to have happen, but I still don’t see it happening.... unless it happens to happen.

Maybe David Alston?
He graduates I think in May. Maybe he's set up to do it this winter. I don't know. There's no sit out for a grad transfer in conference anymore.

If this is true and If is a big If, absolutely devastating to Frost and this team trying to re-build. He's a weapon that cannot be replaced next year.

In fact, HAVING Speilman was a big reason Scott had a shot to rebuild this in 2-3 years. Jesus man I hope this isn't true.
The bigger concern over losing a weapon is the fact it shows players could be losing faith in Frost.

I hope this isn't true

The Spielman's are very well respected names in the football community. Rick is the Vikings GM and his brother Rob is the VP of football operations. It is not going to help if they offer less than complimentary words concerning Frost and staff in casual conversation as the the football world is very small and word travels fast.

Likewise, while Mike Riley did not win big here, he is universally highly respected and liked by his peers. Frost has been very intentional and forward in his criticism of the prior staffs schemes, work ethic instilled, leadership, etc, etc.

That is something you just don't do if you hope to garner any good will in the football community outside of Nebraska.

Frost had a lot of praise after the hire from national figures - I don't see the benefit of taking shots at the prior staff or the players recruited by that staff. This approach, IMO, has led to the vast majority of "buy-in" and culture problems that might exist.

When was the segment? Who was talking about it?
Unfortunately a lot of stuff that gets talked about on sports radio is message board crap that gets repeated. We'll see.
So many mixed feelings about this.
1) if he’s gone, let’s be honest, he was a great playmaker but unreliable due to always being injured. In football if your a guy whose always been hurt like that in the past, you’ll never be fully healthy going forward .

2) this reflects very poorly on Scott. A SR who would take down the school record next year leaving his teammates like this and whose dad is a GM of the Vikings. This isn’t a helicopter parent thinking they know what’s best for their kid. This is a person who knows football and if he thinks his kids better off learning from PJ for one year then finishing his career off at NU, Ugh.

3. Can you blame JD? He’s never been to a bowl game. He doesn’t give a crap about what Scott did here a million years ago. He’s just tired of losing and Scott’s personal isn’t making anyone believers no of day.

4. he wants to go to the next level. Is Walters someone who can coach anyone up? Seriously.

5. JD’s back up in the slot is better then him
1) I don't think he was injured much this year.
2) I don't think his dad is advocating him leaving NU. It isn't however a good look for Frost BUT I think JD was a Gebbia supporter. I'm not sure he has a lot of friends on the team. He's awfully quiet.
3) He may well be sick of losing.
4) Walters is just fine as the WR coach. Ask Kurt Warner how he feels about him.
5) I don't know about JD's backup. That may end up being true. I believe JD is replaceable but we'll have to see IF he leaves.

exactly. PJ has proven he’s going to do what it takes to win. Frost is on a twenty year plan.

I just hope this rumor isn't even about him. It would reflect so poorly on Frost, and he'd still probably refuse to not stick with Martinez even if there's a better option in the fold. I wouldn't blame JD one but if it appears that there's not even going to be a chance at fair competition on who could be slinging it to him next year. It's a big year for him next season, why would he want to waste it with Martinez's indecisiveness and losingness?

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
He had over 800 yards receiving each of the past two years. I think it is much more of a personal and fit issue He was very close to Riley and KW. He never hit it off with Frost and Walters. He thought about leaving last year, allegedly. and decided to stick it out (probably his dads advice).

A couple weeks ago this was brought up and @Tuco Salamanca has some insights. As I recall he said that JD did not like the way the staff pushes the players and Frost sees JD as one of the players that never “bought in”. Maybe Tuco can fill in any of the blanks I don’t remember.

I hope JD is happy and sticks it out and that this is just rumor spreading from the Twin Cities, but we will probably find out soon.
I think he was a Gebbia supporter as well. Quiet kid and I'm not sure he has many friends on the team. Whatever. I think he's a good player and good kid. I wish him well no matter what he thinks is best for him.

Reactions: headcard
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT