ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

whiplash

Senior
May 29, 2001
Grand Island to Maryland
It was nice to see the team overcome mistakes and take control in the 2nd half. Congratulations to them.

In regards to Special Teams, do we have a coach in charge of Special Teams? Or do we still have the consultant.

Special Teams looks like it has a lot of holes to fill, except for place kicking.

It was nice to see the team overcome mistakes and take control in the 2nd half. Congratulations to them.

In regards to Special Teams, do we have a coach in charge of Special Teams? Or do we still have the consultant.

Special Teams looks like it has a lot of holes to fill, except for place kicking.
Both. And both need to be shown the door. Unacceptable

If you don’t have the right players on special teams you get shitty results. Cade Warner and Wyatt Liewer are not going to tackle any body! I love Damion Jackson, but that guy is three seconds late on every kickoff. Dude is slow. It’s literally 11 vs 7 on kickoffs

Reactions: SeaOfRed75

Special teams is a reflection of the overall coaching. When overall coaching is poor, special teams are poor. I don't think having a special teams coach would help a damn thing when there's little accountability throughout the entire coaching staff. People seem to forget how worthless Bruce Read was, and the same thing would happen if Frost got a special teams coach because he doesn't hold his assistants accountable.

We have an analyst for special teams. He does NOT coach.

From what Frost said earlier, all coaches are responsible for special teams. So maybe no one is responsible.

It is hard to believe a major college team is as bad as we are at special teams. Just think where we would be without a grad transfer kicker.

We have an analyst for special teams. He does NOT coach.

From what Frost said earlier, all coaches are responsible for special teams. So maybe no one is responsible.

It is hard to believe a major college team is as bad as we are at special teams. Just think where we would be without a grad transfer kicker.
Yeah. Sure. He doesn't coach...yeah that's the ticket. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

The run by the punter was ridiculous. You know they scouted the Illinois game and let their punter loose. After the Illinois game, I started to watch our return set up and there were a few time I could tell they were going to drop everyone back. I'm kind of surprised other teams didn't take advantage of it more.

The run by the punter was ridiculous. You know they scouted the Illinois game and let their punter loose. After the Illinois game, I started to watch our return set up and there were a few time I could tell they were going to drop everyone back. I'm kind of surprised other teams didn't take advantage of it more.
The punt contain is an example to me of Frost not being a complete head coach. I believe he delegates that s*** off and focuses on offense. With these kind of results he needs to give it his undivided attention.

If you don’t have the right players on special teams you get shitty results. Cade Warner and Wyatt Liewer are not going to tackle any body! I love Damion Jackson, but that guy is three seconds late on every kickoff. Dude is slow. It’s literally 11 vs 7 on kickoffs
Uhhhh, this. Everyone just ignores the post in the thread that got it right.
Why did Ohio St kick ass at special teams under Urban? Because it was a priority where many TALENTED starters wanted to play and did.
The effort and execution on special teams needs to improve BIG TIME. But having legit big-time players there makes any coach look better.

The punt contain is an example to me of Frost not being a complete head coach. I believe he delegates that s*** off and focuses on offense. With these kind of results he needs to give it his undivided attention.

Totally agree, how can his teams at Nebraska be so bad on special teams when he had a coach at Nebraska (TO) that made a big emphasis on special teams winning football games..

Reactions: woodman79
I’ve said it before, we’re one strong leg away from solving this issue. Bring in someone who puts the ball in the back of the end zone.

That's fine for kickoffs but you still have punting, punt coverage, kick return and the wind factor pretty much assures you won't hit the end zone every time. No kicker does it every time. Good luck getting that guy every single year. Learn to have good special teams, its not like it is impossible, other teams do it.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Uhhhh, this. Everyone just ignores the post in the thread that got it right.
Why did Ohio St kick ass at special teams under Urban? Because it was a priority where many TALENTED starters wanted to play and did.
The effort and execution on special teams needs to improve BIG TIME. But having legit big-time players there makes any coach look better.
We used to get annoyed when Pelini and Callahan put starters on special teams. I now change my position on that. It's the right move. Eric Martin could destroy guys on kick return. Ameer was very good returning kicks. Special teams can't be some sort of consolation prize for guys who try hard in practice.

That's fine for kickoffs but you still have punting, punt coverage, kick return and the wind factor pretty much assures you won't hit the end zone every time. No kicker does it every time. Good luck getting that guy every single year. Learn to have good special teams, its not like it is impossible, other teams do it.
Our kickoff returns have been terrible.

My guess is little coaching and very few practices. Frost needs to spend as much time on this aspect as he does everything else. I haven’t seen a worse special teams than the one in Lincoln the last few seasons.
coach frost must not include the special teams as having the best practices ever

Reactions: rrthusker
Other than Connor Culp special teams are a dumpster fire. It is apparent, little to no coaching or practice takes place on these units.
And little emphasis with regards to personnel. Not enough talent playing on coverage teams. It's an afterthought in every sense.

Reactions: rrthusker
And little emphasis with regards to personnel. Not enough talent playing on coverage teams. It's an afterthought in every sense.
It doesn't take talent to attempt to fight off of a block. Our guys just run right in front of the blockers and just stand there. They practically block themselves. I'd blame shitty coaching over talent.

When you have roster numbers that dwarf the size of almost every other power 5 program you aren’t able to waste time focusing on frivolous details like special teams, or avoiding turnovers and penalties.

Last edited:
When you have roster numbers that dwarf the size of almost every other power 5 program you can’t afford to waste time focusing on frivolous details like special teams, or avoiding turnovers and penalties.
JLB sucks cock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT