ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams return men

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
per 247
“The Huskers should have some good returnman options within the roster. In the spring, Sean Beckton mentioned Wan'Dale Robinson, Alante Brown, Cam Taylor-Britt and Kade Warner among those getting early looks at punt returns. With kick returns, he brought up the names of Rahmir Johnson, Jamie Nance, Demariyon Houston, Robinson and Brown.”

There’s also some newcomers who weren’t here in spring like Fleming.

Who do you like for kick return and punt return duties?

4 of the 5 guys mentioned for kick returns are basically the fastest guys on the team with track experience, and the 5th is Wandale. I like that. They just need the cajones to run full steam ahead straight into the mob coming at them... but hopefully blocking will be improved also.

Reactions: bigredhunter
Stick Beau Davis back 'ere. He'll shake, he'll bake, he'll make Wan'dale rethink how he laces up his cleats.

I like the idea of Rahmir, Wandale. Alante, and other fast people with some shake. No offense to Kade, but I just don't see him breaking a PR for a TD

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I like the idea of Rahmir, Wandale. Alante, and other fast people with some shake. No offense to Kade, but I just don't see him breaking a PR for a TD

I think Kade is a consideration as a punt safe option where you want a no-miss hands guy. Cam also fits punt safe if your more worried about fakes.

If Nance and/or Robinson end up returning kicks in some capacity this season I will be pretty irritated with Frost.

Over the last month of 2019, the Huskers were using Brody Belt as a return man. He was comically ineffective. With the 4 game redshirt rule, Nance and Robinson were available. It seems ridiculous that they would suddenly be given a chance to return kicks now, but not November 2019 when the team was desperate for playmakers.

If Nance and/or Robinson end up returning kicks in some capacity this season I will be pretty irritated with Frost.

Over the last month of 2019, the Huskers were using Brody Belt as a return man. He was comically ineffective. With the 4 game redshirt rule, Nance and Robinson were available. It seems ridiculous that they would suddenly be given a chance to return kicks now, but not November 2019 when the team was desperate for playmakers.

Perhaps they have improved their fielding % because of confidence, maturity and practice?

I'm more interested in whether they can find 10 other guys who can block to go with one who can catch the damn ball.

I watched a couple games from 2019 and I was reminded all over again how rare it was to see any decent blocking on a return and how many muffed punts this team has produced over the last several years. Special teams were f***ing abysmal, it made it real clear how DeWitt got himself invited to pursue other opportunities.

Go on put Jesus Christ himself back there and it won't matter if he has 3 defenders in his face the second he catches the ball.

This also just reminded me of how many times Spielman was fair catching punts inside the 8 yd line instead of letting them go for touchbacks. He had way too much experience for that.

Ever notice that return men seem to get worse at Nebraska with experience?

JD was very good his freshman year but man he was he awful last year.

Spielman is a lot like a bad breakup. So many of you only remember the good things he did and fail to remember the bad times too

Like the reason special teams coaches tell you to when receiving punts put your back foot on the 10 yard line or the goal line is so you know when to just let the ball go. Man I won’t miss seeing him back there on punts doing as instructed and for no good reason catching the ball.

I'm more interested in whether they can find 10 other guys who can block to go with one who can catch the damn ball.

I watched a couple games from 2019 and I was reminded all over again how rare it was to see any decent blocking on a return and how many muffed punts this team has produced over the last several years. Special teams were f***ing abysmal, it made it real clear how DeWitt got himself invited to pursue other opportunities.

Go on put Jesus Christ himself back there and it won't matter if he has 3 defenders in his face the second he catches the ball.

Agreed. Between zero return blocking and our PR's propensity to field inside our own 10, it was painful to watch.

Ahhh Jesus, I like him very much. But he no help return punts.
You tryin' to say Jesus Christ can't return a punt?

I definitely agree with the comments about the bad blocking. Half the time it seemed like they were a sieve letting the punt team run right by them down to the ball. We didn't jam them or chip them or do anything! It was weird and someone needs to explain this to me. And it seems like our jammers would just turn and run with them until they got down where the returner was before trying to block. Is that best practice? Seems nutso to me.

One of the pelini years, I swear we didnt try to block the punt or try to block the kicking team. It was like ten guys were told to do nothing and then one guy was told to catch the ball and get murdered. I think Bo took it over himself the next year and it got a lot better. We weren't that far away from that gameplan last year it seemed.

One of the pelini years, I swear we didnt try to block the punt or try to block the kicking team. It was like ten guys were told to do nothing and then one guy was told to catch the ball and get murdered. I think Bo took it over himself the next year and it got a lot better. We weren't that far away from that gameplan last year it seemed.

It could be that's what I am recalling. My memory isn't the greatest anymore

I definitely agree with the comments about the bad blocking. Half the time it seemed like they were a sieve letting the punt team run right by them down to the ball. We didn't jam them or chip them or do anything! It was weird and someone needs to explain this to me. And it seems like our jammers would just turn and run with them until they got down where the returner was before trying to block. Is that best practice? Seems nutso to me.

If the blocks did come there was usually one in the back.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT