ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams quote - from Dewitt

If, in fact, you are right in your assessment that the negative mental aspect is present, it is much worse than one thinks then because that means the smaller number that remained have influenced the larger number of newbies that came into the fold. Which seniors do you see as a problem in the leadership category? We don't have many to select from. Assuming it is all a "mental" problem, that is still the coaches responsibility to change. They change EVERYTHING from weight to eating to plays to studies to when practices are to the mental make up of the team
As I have stated, I am not blaming everything 100% on the players. I think the coaches are still trying to figure this tougher competition thing out compared to the AAC as well. I do know mentality positive or negative plays a roll into how one performs from every day life to sports.
I have worked enough different jobs to know that a negative mindset is an addictive quality and spreads very easily. Think back to a job you had where you go to work and people are complaining non stop. They are doing just enough to get by. Now you show up busting your ass day in and day out, you may even enjoy your job, but pretty soon hearing that same negativity from other people over and over starts to wear on you. It starts to make you second guess things and maybe not want to work quite as hard or maybe you start complaining too. Pretty soon you have the majority doing just enough to make it through the day and almost everyone is unhappy.
I agree 100% it takes a coach or boss or ceo or whoever to come in and change the attitude. So I do not disagree if this is an attitude/ mental thing the majority should fall on Frost at some point to get fixed. I think he is trying, but maybe isn't quit sure how to do it quickly. I think this is why we are now seeing the tough talk, depth chart changes and the players leaving. I'm no psychologist, I just don't think 9 months is fair amount of time to give him to fix it.
Of course I could be way wrong. I am just speculating and theorizing. This could be 100% Frost coaching. It could be a combination of both players and coaching. Non of us know for sure. We probably won't for another year or so.

Last edited:
As I have stated, I am not blaming everything 100% on the players. I think the coaches are still trying to figure this tougher competition thing out compared to the AAC as well. I do know mentality positive or negative plays a roll into how one performs from every day life to sports.
I have worked enough different jobs to know that a negative mindset is an addictive quality and spreads very easily. Think back to a job you had where you go to work and people are complaining non stop. They are doing just enough to get by. Now you show up busting your ass day in and day out, you may even enjoy your job, but pretty soon hearing that same negativity from other people over and over starts to wear on you. It starts to make you second guess things and maybe not want to work quite as hard or maybe you start complaining too. Pretty soon you have the majority doing just enough to make it through the day and almost everyone is unhappy.
I agree 100% it takes a coach or boss or ceo or whoever to come in and change the attitude. So I do not disagree if this is an attitude/ mental thing the majority should fall on Frost at some point to get fixed. I think he is trying, but maybe isn't quit sure how to do it quickly. I think this is why we are now seeing the tough talk, depth chart changes and the players leaving. I'm no psychologist, I just don't think 9 months is fair amount of time to give him to fix it.
Of course I could be way wrong. I am just speculating and theorizing. This could be 100% Frost coaching. It could be a combination of both players and coaching. Non of us know for sure. We probably won't for another year or so.

Fair enough, you have changed your tune. So tell me where players are complaining non stop? I have heard none of it or at least it has not hit the press or social media. In an organization built on production, playing time alpha males who need to dominate, as a coach, you want a certain amount of that but not to the point you seem to be implying.

If this were an easy fix and if the coaches know what the problem and if the have the ability to make the changes to fix it they would. Granted, none of this happens overnight. You can point to programs that have major improvement in year one - Purdue is one that comes to mind so it isn't impossible. The planets definitely have to align.

I have to be honest when I look at the program - I could see what Diaco and Riley were attempting to do last year given what they had to work with. I didn't hear all of the negatives despite the results. The players clearly showed some negative body language last year, that we all saw. However, it is clear the talent and depth is there. It was worth a chuckle to hear all of the predictions of a great season based on the fact we just had better coaching, improved S&C with the assumption it was all bad last year. Perhaps it wasn't as bad as everyone wants to convince themselves it was. I am NOT saying it was good just for the record. I saw DL linemen getting blown back 5 yards against Wisconsin and LB's that take really bad angles, play with a lack of instinct which good LB's always have. I see OL linemen who still can't handle a player who comes on a blitz from either shoulder, nothing changed from last year.

I fear the problems or the results of the problems are more wide spread than some believe and this is going to take more time and some major soul searching to change. In short, the coaches have their hands full. Where are the O linemen for next year coming from? JUCO ranks? When will DL, LB and DB's suddenly get better? The players we will rely on are HERE now with the exception of a few JUCOS who may contribute. I love my Huskers, but there is a reality we can't explain away or ignore.

Reactions: huskerfan66
And one of the times we don’t on Mo Washington 4th quarter kickoff return we still get called for a blocking in the back penalty..
And that call was very weak. Earlier this year I think it was MIchigan that made exactly the same play right in front of the ref and it sprung the returner without a flag. The contact we got flagged for was incidental with the defender turning his back and it was completely irrelevant to the play.

How can we not find 11 players on a 110 man roster to field a special teams unit that's at least semi-competent and doesn't commit a boneheaded penalty nearly every time they're out there? We also have more starters than most teams do on the special teams unit. There's no excuse for it to be as bad as it is.
Kick off and punting takes discipline like staying in your lane its way to easy to all aim for the ball that's the same strategy you were taught in high school football

Fair enough, you have changed your tune. So tell me where players are complaining non stop? I have heard none of it or at least it has not hit the press or social media. In an organization built on production, playing time alpha males who need to dominate, as a coach, you want a certain amount of that but not to the point you seem to be implying
I wouldn't say I have changed my tune. I still believe the main issues revolve around player mentality vs coaching issues/ schemes/ play calling. I am not saying coaching has zero to do with this 0-5 team. I just think it is a much smaller issue. I have also never said players were complaining non stop, I simply used that in my example of what happens at the work place and what could be happening in this case.
Again this all just my opinion, speculation based off what I am seeing, hearing. I then try to put the pieces together in my head of what could be going on behind the scenes. All in all in really doesn't matter what I think, what you think, what anyone here thinks the problems could be. Odds are we will probably never know for sure why this team started 0-5. All we can hope is that it starts to get fixed and never happens again.

I wouldn't say I have changed my tune. I still believe the main issues revolve around player mentality vs coaching issues/ schemes/ play calling. I am not saying coaching has zero to do with this 0-5 team. I just think it is a much smaller issue. I have also never said players were complaining non stop, I simply used that in my example of what happens at the work place and what could be happening in this case.
Again this all just my opinion, speculation based off what I am seeing, hearing. I then try to put the pieces together in my head of what could be going on behind the scenes. All in all in really doesn't matter what I think, what you think, what anyone here thinks the problems could be. Odds are we will probably never know for sure why this team started 0-5. All we can hope is that it starts to get fixed and never happens again.

The comparison is non stop complaining - why mention it if you don't think it is happening? It must not be or we would have heard more about it. Why create something that is not there? You are more concerned what is going on "behind the scenes" while the results and product are right in front of everyone to clearly see. Its not magic, not a mystery, film does not lie, stats don't lie. Do you see guys that can tackle? Are we stopping anyone? I guess their minds are shot on the D side but seem to be OK on the offensive side as they have piled up respectable yardage and points. Throw in special teams with bad heads too I guess.

The comparison is non stop complaining - why mention it if you don't think it is happening? It must not be or we would have heard more about it. Why create something that is not there? You are more concerned what is going on "behind the scenes" while the results and product are right in front of everyone to clearly see. Its not magic, not a mystery, film does not lie, stats don't lie. Do you see guys that can tackle? Are we stopping anyone? I guess their minds are shot on the D side but seem to be OK on the offensive side as they have piled up respectable yardage and points. Throw in special teams with bad heads too I guess.
This is getting nowhere. We will see how it all plays out.

There's a lot more to coaching than just drilling. On my high school basketball team we ran these rebounding drills where we would kill each other trying to go for the ball and get the rebound. But come gameday, our team always struggled in rebounding. So we ran those rebounding drills even more and the more we ran those drills the worse our team got at actually rebounding in a game. I always sucked at those drills but on game day, I was the best rebounder on the team. Maybe your drills aren't simulating a game environment as much as you think.

And I think it's similar with some of the things we're seeing on this team. Our coaches may be telling our players to do certain things, but for some reason it's not sinking in. It's not the players fault that it's not sinking in. The coaches need to find a way to get to the players so they actually understand what they're supposed to do. Maybe some of the drills aren't simulating what the players see on gamedays. But it all falls back on the coaches to get their players to do what they're supposed to be doing.
My coaching days are long past. Sometimes, it is pretty darn simple stuff, and no amount of reward/punishment seemed to give some of them the athletic instinct or want-to. I just disagree that lack of execution is always on Coach. That is a common theme around here, it seems. I taught for 12 years and 1/3 loved the class, worked hard, improved lots, let me know they really enjoyed having me as a teacher, etc.... 1/3 were hit-and-miss, depending on the day, and 1/3 did little or nothing, and didn't care. Some of this stuff is more cultural, I think. Not all kids have an upbringing conducive to work ethic, accepting correction, etc. I just hope the light comes on for guys, sooner, rather than later! GBR

My coaching days are long past. Sometimes, it is pretty darn simple stuff, and no amount of reward/punishment seemed to give some of them the athletic instinct or want-to. I just disagree that lack of execution is always on Coach. That is a common theme around here, it seems. I taught for 12 years and 1/3 loved the class, worked hard, improved lots, let me know they really enjoyed having me as a teacher, etc.... 1/3 were hit-and-miss, depending on the day, and 1/3 did little or nothing, and didn't care. Some of this stuff is more cultural, I think. Not all kids have an upbringing conducive to work ethic, accepting correction, etc. I just hope the light comes on for guys, sooner, rather than later! GBR
Great insight and post I agree 100%

I'd rather our coaches say our team sucks after we blow out an opponent like Saban does than our coaches say we play great in a blowout loss where the team didn't even show much effort. When you say some players played great and were warriors but others made mistakes and they can't learn from them and should leave the team, that would seem to me to create divisiveness on the team and go against the unity of purpose this staff preaches. Frost certainly comes off as a players coach but when you make veiled threats that certain players need to leave, how can you establish credibility that you care about the players?

I think many agree ... some are having diffiulty with some of the coaches being less than subtle in pointing to the players in the media.

Just say WE have to be better and leave it at that

I'd rather our coaches say our team sucks after we blow out an opponent like Saban does than our coaches say we play great in a blowout loss where the team didn't even show much effort. When you say some players played great and were warriors but others made mistakes and they can't learn from them and should leave the team, that would seem to me to create divisiveness on the team and go against the unity of purpose this staff preaches. Frost certainly comes off as a players coach but when you make veiled threats that certain players need to leave, how can you establish credibility that you care about the players?
When has the staff said anything remotely close to the bolded?

Reactions: timnsun
The difference is Nebraska recruited these players. When BCC's new coach arrived no players transferred. In fact the team became much better winning the MEAC conference. Just saw where Frost actually called some players culture killers. Culture killers, really. Who's culture is he talking about. You will lose all you're games, including BCC, with this overblown team poisoning rhetoric.

The difference is Nebraska recruited these players. When BCC's new coach arrived no players transferred. In fact the team became much better winning the MEAC conference. Just saw where Frost actually called some players culture killers. Culture killers, really. Who's culture is he talking about. You will lose all you're games, including BCC, with this overblown team poisoning rhetoric.
Weak. Better luck with your next screen name.

Yeah I'm not trying to hear it about special teams. There are a bunch of teams in the conference doing more on ST with arguably lesser talent.

You wanna tell me we don't have the horses at some DL spots or safety, or on OL, I get it. There are enough kids on that roster to be able to find 11 who can make you not dread having to cover a kick or try to return a punt.

There's teams with pretty terrible players who manage not to run up 100-150 yards a game in penalties.

I don't think these coaches care about who likes what or whos feelings they hurt. They are going to say it like it is. Saban is pretty in your face/ say it like it is coach as well. If a kid is playing awesome and do great they are going to praise them. If they are playing like shit and making mistakes they aren't afraid to say it. I think we have become to use to Mike, extra sprinkles, Riley and everyone is awesome talk.

Every time someone points out the shortcomings of the current staff we seem to get someone who thinks we want Riley back at coach. We're 0-5 into the Frost era. Time to man up and stop making excuses. I believe that Frost will get it done eventually. We just don't need to be publicly blaming the players.That's a failure of the coaching staff.

Weak. Better luck with your next screen name.
Perfectly happy with the one I have. Proud to be a BCC fan. Don't be such a culture killer. You might get ejected. Just ask the cultural casualties that left your team. LOL Frost wants every kid from every culture to fit his. Good luck with that.

Every time someone points out the shortcomings of the current staff we seem to get someone who thinks we want Riley back at coach. We're 0-5 into the Frost era. Time to man up and stop making excuses. I believe that Frost will get it done eventually. We just don't need to be publicly blaming the players.That's a failure of the coaching staff.
Good thing they aren’t doing that. I really dont understand the reasoning behind trying to turn quotes like these into some kind of attack on the players. It clearly was not intended that way

Reactions: husker2612
Perfectly happy with the one I have. Proud to be a BCC fan. Don't be such a culture killer. You might get ejected. Just ask the cultural casualties that left your team. LOL Frost wants every kid from every culture to fit his. Good luck with that.
That you gomer Pyle? Really you don't know frosts past how many great coaches he either played for or coached with guess you don't know how vial this program was after bo was fired. Yes I truly believe in the right culture

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT