Special teams coach needs a talking to

GBRforLife1

Head Coach
Feb 18, 2020
This is just pathetic.

CMzWjUZ.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
Aside from the lack of a dedicated ST Coach, both William Przystup and Cerni were on the team last year. It's up to Frost to bring in other personnel. Przystup was failing last year too and Frost kept him. The HC is responsible for upgrading personnel at each position. How he ignored this all offseason is beyond me. Then he points the finger at guys that continually fail, when he kept them here without bringing in their replacement or competition.
I don't think Frost is smart enough to realize that fact, sadly.

I'm just speechless as to the keystone cops comedy hour. If we amateur armchair coaches know where the problem lies with this team you know Frost does too, but he's too loyal to doing anything with the coaches who are responsible and that's what's on him.

That's the problem - we don't even have a St coach... But for some reason we need two linebackers coaches and a te coach...

Indiana fans are having same discussion.

Grateful NCAA added 10th coach. Makes sense to have three coordinators, one for each phase of the game.

O
D
special teams

Do you know who else is on the "wrong" side of the field? All of the MSU players. This was a trick play and we got out-coached.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Interesting note, we have 2 former special teams coaches on the support staff in Bill Busch and Bobby Maffei.

I have been saying for over three years now..... that when the Huskers Football team enter a game that there are three possible conclusions.
1. We win.
2. We lose.
3 We give it away.

I would like an accounting to show up of the W's, the L's and the G's in the last four years.

I agree coach V needs to be handed his walking papers possibly Austin and Held. Sean Snyder is available unless the new coach when hired retains Sean or promote Busch.

When you have cycled through a few people and get the same results, there is a bigger problem at hand and it is the job of the head coach to fix it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
And look at who some of the schools are that are ranked at the top of special teams......they are on my new head coaching list.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Interesting note, we have 2 former special teams coaches on the support staff in Bill Busch and Bobby Maffei.

The schemes have been better this year IMO. Individual performances by players have not.

Mike Dawson (Outside LB Coach) is also the ST coach. He does a great job at LB but they need to get rid of Harry Potter and make a Full Time ST coach. Hell why do we need 2 LB coaches?
Dawson is fine as a special teams coordinator IF you have somebody on your staff be it even a GA who can coach your kickers OR if you have a proven punter and kicker. Damn. It isn't that tough to punt the ball 30+ yards out of bounds. That's all we needed on that punt that ended in a TD.

There are no MSU players on the side where the ball was kicked. What are hash marks 10 or 15 yards apart ? So the kick was not off by more than 15 yards. Face it, this was not the kickers fault. We got tricked into not knowing where the ball was.
Seriously? I see 2 Mich St players back to return.

Did you watch the game and this play?

Mike Dawson (Outside LB Coach) is also the ST coach. He does a great job at LB but they need to get rid of Harry Potter and make a Full Time ST coach. Hell why do we need 2 LB coaches?

Because one of them had zero experiene coaching at any level prior to SF giving him the LB coaching job..at NU...

There are no MSU players on the side where the ball was kicked. What are hash marks 10 or 15 yards apart ? So the kick was not off by more than 15 yards. Face it, this was not the kickers fault. We got tricked into not knowing where the ball was.
Ok look. If the ball is kicked to the side it was supposed to be kicked to then the returner would have had to call a fair catch or the ball would have went out of bounds.

Do people really believe this was anything other than a shanked punt?

Reactions: donahues17
Dawson is fine as a special teams coordinator IF you have somebody on your staff be it even a GA who can coach your kickers OR if you have a proven punter and kicker. Damn. It isn't that tough to punt the ball 30+ yards out of bounds. That's all we needed on that punt that ended in a TD.
Not sold on Dawson as fine. Did you hear his interview yesterday? I know he's had the ST gig for just this past year, but halfway into this year and still not have a viable punt return unit is not fine to me. I know that Oliver Martin is injured but there was no backup plan here, and it looks like the unit is going full Santino mode on punt returns.
Who on staff is identifying personnel here? The punters don't appear to be division I level and weren't last year either. They need a talent upgrade there big time.

I'm just speechless as to the keystone cops comedy hour. If we amateur armchair coaches know where the problem lies with this team you know Frost does too, but he's too loyal to doing anything with the coaches who are responsible and that's what's on him.
The lack of execution on simple things is just mind-boggling. The punter wasn't pressured, the snap was good, but yet it was punted the wrong way. I heard about a HS team that looks at statistics and found that going for it on every 4th down was a better strategy than punting or kicking field goals. I think they went undefeated. At this point, as bad as things are with ST, we might as well go all in and just go for it every 4th down. Also, because the defense is guaranteed at least another snap each series (unless there is a turnover) it can help wear down the opposing defense faster.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not sold on Dawson as fine. Did you hear his interview yesterday? I know he's had the ST gig for just this past year, but halfway into this year and still not have a viable punt return unit is not fine to me. I know that Oliver Martin is injured but there was no backup plan here, and it looks like the unit is going full Santino mode on punt returns.
Who on staff is identifying personnel here? The punters don't appear to be division I level and weren't last year either. They need a talent upgrade there big time.
Dawson was not involved with recruiting our current punters I don't believe. Scheme wise and blocking (other than Piper on that extra point) IMO has been better this year. We've just had punters and kickers fall apart under pressure IMO. Culp seems to have gotten his head back together albeit a game late. We need to either stick with Pyrstup or use a walk on who can get it 30 yards down the field in the right direction. The punting is a head scratcher. I thought they had it fixed after the punts at OU.

Reactions: BroskiRed
Dawson was not involved with recruiting our current punters I don't believe. Scheme wise and blocking (other than Piper on that extra point) IMO has been better this year. We've just had punters and kickers fall apart under pressure IMO. Culp seems to have gotten his head back together albeit a game late. We need to either stick with Pyrstup or use a walk on who can get it 30 yards down the field in the right direction. The punting is a head scratcher. I thought they had it fixed after the punts at OU.

Scheme and blocking wise we have been better this year? Explain away our punt/kick return numbers then. Both are abysmal.

This garbage staff can’t even find a player who can field a punt at this time.

People on here wanted the special teams coach fired, But he got 175,000 raise.. Only at Nebraska can you do a shitty job and get a raise... But he also coaches outside linebackers.

How many decent coaches are going to jump on Scott's sinking lifeboat? Maybe we can get Dan Vili Waldrop as OL coach. What are Joe Dailey or Zac Lee up to nowadays? There ain't no Pelini coming in to save Scott's rear.

Scheme and blocking wise we have been better this year? Explain away our punt/kick return numbers then. Both are abysmal.

This garbage staff can’t even find a player who can field a punt at this time.
Fielding the punts is a problem but that isn't necessarily because of the scheme. That MSU punter laid some wicked punts with weird spin on them out there. As somebody who caught punts, I wouldn't have wanted any part of them and a good chunk of the yardage he got out of them was on the bounce. Those were extremely risky punts to field. Good heavens the one where he did airmail it was 20 yards over Toure's head. CTB while he might be an explosive returner didn't do us any favors by trying to handle punts he should have stayed away from. I'll stick to my guns about Dawson. I don't think he's the problem other than that he isn't a punting and kicking coach. I've said for weeks that we need one less offensive coach and a dedicated special teams coach with expertise in coaching the feet guys.

People on here wanted the special teams coach fired, But he got 175,000 raise.. Only at Nebraska can you do a shitty job and get a raise... But he also coaches outside linebackers.
The special teams analyst who was calling the shots last year got fired. Dawson has been a special teams coordinator at previous stops. He knows what he's doing but we need somebody who can coach kickers.

ADVERTISEMENT