ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams analyst out

If Lubick is not successful after Walters, the the finger really starts to point to the head man himself.
Maybe. Are you talking from an OC standpoint or a WR coaching standpoint . The OC is all on Frost, but developing WR’s would only be on Frost for not hiring the right guys.

While it won’t happen. Can we all agree it would be awesome to have Helfrich as QB Coach/OC and Keith Williams as WR coach? I would start a go fund me for that one.

There is an all state Punter in Nebraska that didnt get a sniff thats committed to going to NWMS. Wouldnt have been the worse thing to offer or at least discuss a grayshirt
The all-state placekicker from Ord also punts, I believe, and he's headed to NU. Could be that the guy you're referring to is better, but the kid from Ord has a big leg.

The all-state placekicker from Ord also punts, I believe, and he's headed to NU. Could be that the guy you're referring to is better, but the kid from Ord has a big leg.
At least we will have an actual option in case one of our starting kickers gets inexplicably injured for the season (again!)

Maybe. Are you talking from an OC standpoint or a WR coaching standpoint . The OC is all on Frost, but developing WR’s would only be on Frost for not hiring the right guys.

While it won’t happen. Can we all agree it would be awesome to have Helfrich as QB Coach/OC and Keith Williams as WR coach? I would start a go fund me for that one.
So an analyst and an unemployed personal trainer?

So an analyst and an unemployed personal trainer?

If that’s how you want to characterize them. Seems idiotic to me. Helfrich was a college OC, a college HC, a NFL OC, but sure call him an analyst. That accurately sums him up. And how about those Jags, so stupid hiring an analyst as their new head coach.

I seem to recall the angst on this board when Riley was hired and he brought in a ST coach. What a waste or money and it may have been for that guy.

Now everyone is clamoring for a ST coach to get this turned around. The analyst position made sense in that he put the plans together, watched ST film on opposing teams, designed coverages, etc. The coaches still had to execute the plan and teach containment, how to break down on a full out run, leverage, spacing, etc. It is painfully obvious we lacked in that area.

I also like the comments that of course Dawson can handle OLB and ST coaching. I would not even know what that would look like, you are talking kickers, punters, coverage on KO's, kick return, punt return, punt coverage and even PAT. That seems like a fair amount right there.

Reactions: oldjar07
I seem to recall the angst on this board when Riley was hired and he brought in a ST coach. What a waste or money and it may have been for that guy.

Now everyone is clamoring for a ST coach to get this turned around. The analyst position made sense in that he put the plans together, watched ST film on opposing teams, designed coverages, etc. The coaches still had to execute the plan and teach containment, how to break down on a full out run, leverage, spacing, etc. It is painfully obvious we lacked in that area.

I also like the comments that of course Dawson can handle OLB and ST coaching. I would not even know what that would look like, you are talking kickers, punters, coverage on KO's, kick return, punt return, punt coverage and even PAT. That seems like a fair amount right there.

A lot of ST Coaches also coach a position. TE, OLB, Safties. When Dawson was coming back Frost wanted him to do special teams too and Dawson really balked at it. Maybe that has changed, but I doubt it.

Really feel bad for Jon, Kaylon and their new daughter Harper
They were very excited to come to Lincoln under the assumption they were going to be working with a power 5 level coaching staff.

Jon was instructed to prioritize walkons for special teams and when realizing they weren't going to succeed with these players did convince the staff to let them use more scholarship players.

These players were mostly unavailable for special teams focus, however given poor practice planning. The staff resented feedback about how other actual power 5 programs ran practice with regards to special teams and the pushback about walkons.

Probably best for all involved to move on - Jon has a pretty good resume so I don't think his time limited in Lincoln will hurt him given the dysfunction

• Haha
Reactions: zamzman and WHCSC
They were very excited to come to Lincoln under the assumption they were going to be working with a power 5 level coaching staff.

Jon was instructed to prioritize walkons for special teams and when realizing they weren't going to succeed with these players did convince the staff to let them use more scholarship players.

These players were mostly unavailable for special teams focus, however given poor practice planning. The staff resented feedback about how other actual power 5 programs ran practice with regards to special teams and the pushback about walkons.

Probably best for all involved to move on - Jon has a pretty good resume so I don't think his time limited in Lincoln will hurt him given the dysfunction

Another fairy tale from the resident troll. But yes, the analysts did only make it one year here, as opposed to the two he made it in each of his previous stops.

If that’s how you want to characterize them. Seems idiotic to me. Helfrich was a college OC, a college HC, a NFL OC, but sure call him an analyst. That accurately sums him up. And how about those Jags, so stupid hiring an analyst as their new head coach.
Oh, I was just saying it that was since we call Lubick a hire from a credit union

Reactions: headcard
A lot of ST Coaches also coach a position. TE, OLB, Safties. When Dawson was coming back Frost wanted him to do special teams too and Dawson really balked at it. Maybe that has changed, but I doubt it.

Notice I didn't say he couldn't but you just said Dawson "really balked at it" for a reason. Just saying something is feasible doesn't make it so.

That is about the dumbest thing on this thread.. UM was never fired and without any job offers. Forced to take a job as a fledgling weather man.

You are getting close, but still can figure it out.

You are correct, Urban Meyer wasn’t fired from OSU, he “retired” for “health reasons”. Just like Lubick wasn’t fired from Washington, he “retired” for “personal reasons”. And you are right Urban wasn’t a lowly weather man. He had a cushy analyst job. Just like Lubick wasn’t a bank teller, he had a cushy liaison job with a multimillion dollar corporation. You do know that right?

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Man, talk about life throwing them a curve ball. Being a special teams analyst for a college football team is usually a career move that implies cradle-to-grave job security.

I don’t. The unit he oversaw sucked worse than the other two dysfunctional units, save for one player’s performance (Culp).

Perhaps he’ll look back and reflect on how he could better channel his enthusiasm into results.

Defensive starters appeared on both coverage teams from game 1 throughout the season, which gives me reason to believe this post is coming straight out of your ass rather than your brain (often confused).

Adios, Jon!

He made $150,000 watching football, in a year where many people were put out of work or had to close their businesses. Hard to feel too sorry for him.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
We are crazy if we don't hire Bill Busch and make the STC an on-field coach. NE native, great coach, great recruiter, great talent developer (developed Thorpe Award winner and numerous NFL draftees), National Championship at LSU would help infuse culture we desperately need and haven't had since he was here under Osborne and Callahan. Would bring great acumen to STs and contribute on D as well. I know he has other offers on the table but understand he really wants to be In Lincoln above all. Frost needs to jump on this ASAP before we lose the opportunity.

On a side note, Texas is offering $1M for their special teams coordinator.
I personally would like to see Scott let go of the offense and focus on the special teams.
I agree. If not Scott, then Somebody with a pulse needs to FOCUS on the Special Teams because it’s been anything but special for the last three years. Lack of solid special teams play has cost us how many games the last few years??

We are crazy if we don't hire Bill Busch and make the STC an on-field coach. NE native, great coach, great recruiter, great talent developer (developed Thorpe Award winner and numerous NFL draftees), National Championship at LSU would help infuse culture we desperately need and haven't had since he was here under Osborne and Callahan. Would bring great acumen to STs and contribute on D as well. I know he has other offers on the table but understand he really wants to be In Lincoln above all. Frost needs to jump on this ASAP before we lose the opportunity.
I'd be down

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Yeah and it was a total waste to have a ST coach because we were an ill-disciplined team with a crappy defense and no accountability. The situation is no different now. A ST coach won't do a damn thing until Frost starts holding that unit, the team, the coaching staff, and himself accountable.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Yeah and it was a total waste to have a ST coach because we were an ill-disciplined team with a crappy defense and no accountability. The situation is no different now. A ST coach won't do a damn thing until Frost starts holding that unit, the team, the coaching staff, and himself accountable.
I'm gonna change this one up.. I don't want Frost involved in special teams at all. Hire a guy, and let them handle it. Hire a real OC, and let them handle it.

Defense is doing fine, (I know you don't agree) but I don't want Frost touching any area of Husker football. Just sit in his office and do recruiting and whatever other stuff head coaches do. That is prob his recipe for real success. Keep his hands out of it.

If somebody screws up, you fire them and hire someone new. The analyst thing was never going to work. Trying to get that phase of the game done on the cheap is worse than taking your date to the gas station for a chuckwagon dinner.

Texas just hired Alabama’s special team coach and are paying him one million per year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT