ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams analyst out

I'm, not sure how to feel about this. It seemed like everywhere Rutledge has been, there has been a big jump in special teams in year two. Also, while some areas did suck, he was able to bring in Culp and Cerni. I hope we have a plan to add a legit ST coach here.
Did Rutledge have anything to do witih bringing in Culp and Cerni? As an analyst you can't recruit and Culp was at LSU not Auburn from whence Rutledge had been released. I don't think Rutledge is a huge loss IMO. I think we need an on the field coach handling coordinating special teams. JMO take it for all 2 cents its worth.

Did Rutledge have anything to do witih bringing in Culp and Cerni? As an analyst you can't recruit and Culp was at LSU not Auburn from whence Rutledge had been released. I don't think Rutledge is a huge loss IMO. I think we need an on the field coach handling coordinating special teams. JMO take it for all 2 cents its worth.
I agree with needing an on the field coach.Additional staff changes will probably need to occur, unless Dawson just adds it to his plate.

To be fair, no one on this current staff has coached at an elite college level program. And, no the American Conference doesn't count.
Yeah. IF the special teams shows up well, they'll get paid. We're not getting Bama's special teams coordinator to come to Nebraska for ANY amount of money. Your only chance to hire a guy who has coached at an "elite" program would be to get a position coach and make him your special teams coordinator. I think that's a large gamble. Dawson is probably our best bet to coordinate special teams. He CAN do both as far as coaching a position and coordinating. Give him the title and a bump in pay for his extra responsibility.

Reactions: 9and4
To be fair, no one on this current staff has coached at an elite college level program. And, no the American Conference doesn't count.

False, Lubick coached at Oregon and Washington.

I am not suggesting we pay 1 million plus to existing staff, I am suggesting we have our existing staff because we don’t pay 1 million plus.

Frost kicked him out the door after one year. The interesting thing is that he had done a pretty good job with special teams at other schools. Supports my theory that somebody put a curse on Memorial Stadium. Players and coaches apparently cannot succeed in that environment until we get an Exorcist to sanctify the stadium.

It's that time of the year when assistants get rehired, raises or get the boot out the door.

Who knows, but my opinion is this is not a reflection on Rutledge not being good vs it simply being a failed experiment that he could get ST corrected only from the analyst role, which always seemed a bit odd to begin with.

Everyone here seems on the same page that we need a real special teams coach who can instruct on the field. Let Mario go and have Frost coach QB if Lubick is staying.

Feels like NCAA should allow one more coach. I thought that was on the table. We use our slot up by splitting ILB and OLB coaches... another problem with the 3-4 strategy.

I wonder if Dawson will end up being full time ST coach along with OLB.
Or continue ST by committee approach?

All I know is the $7 million or so spent on coaches’ salaries is plenty to expect your team to avoid so many mishaps.

Hopefully Cerni will improve our punting, getting Culp back is a HUGE win, so then it’s just fundamentals after that. Ya know, don’t give up easy kick returns or two 4th and long runs by a punter cus we’re asleep at the wheel, etc.

Who knows, but my opinion is this is not a reflection on Rutledge not being good vs it simply being a failed experiment that he could get ST corrected only from the analyst role, which always seemed a bit odd to begin with.

Everyone here seems on the same page that we need a real special teams coach who can instruct on the field. Let Mario go and have Frost coach QB if Lubick is staying.

Feels like NCAA should allow one more coach. I thought that was on the table. We use our slot up by splitting ILB and OLB coaches... another problem with the 3-4 strategy.

I wonder if Dawson will end up being full time ST coach along with OLB.
Or continue ST by committee approach?

All I know is the $7 million or so spent on coaches’ salaries is plenty to expect your team to avoid so many mishaps.

Hopefully Cerni will improve our punting, getting Culp back is a HUGE win, so then it’s just fundamentals after that. Ya know, don’t give up easy kick returns or two 4th and long runs by a punter cus we’re asleep at the wheel, etc.

They did add a 10th coach starting with the 2018 season.

Reactions: HominidHusker
False, Lubick coached at Oregon and Washington.

I am not suggesting we pay 1 million plus to existing staff, I am suggesting we have our existing staff because we don’t pay 1 million plus.

Only at Nebraska, the ultimate little boy staff, can you go from a bank teller to a $1 million salary running an offense.

You can't hire a full-time special teams assistant coach without letting one of the other assistants go. We're already maxed out on the number of official assistant coaches. Now he was already full time devoted to special teams just not classified as an assistant coach.
That is correct oldred.

Just stop with your bank teller nonsense. The guys has been the OC at Washington and Oregon and was the National WR Coach of the year at Duke.
sorry..

*finalist for Asst Coach of the Year (named best WR coach by a website)
*Co-OC at Wash

he was OC at Oregon for 1 season (the coach was fired, he was not retained)

I point this out because his bona fides aren't exactly stellar when considering the vast majority of coaches either at his position or at DC in the league.

next year will be the first time he's ever been OC for 2 years in a row anywhere.

Matt Lubick has been a football coach in some capacity since 1995. He spent time at Oregon State, Ole Miss, Arizona State, Duke, Oregon, and Washington, he takes one year off and works at a credit union, and every genius on this board can't stop saying "we hired a bank teller for offensive coordinator!!!" I don't know if he's the answer but quit crying about us not spending millions of dollars on coordinators. How'd that work out with Bob Diaco?

LSU paid Bo $2M for a dog shit defense. Sometimes more money isnt always better.
I'd take that chance and bring in a top guy like Aranda who can get you a national title, even if you occasionally miss and bring in a dud. Far better than settling for average at best defenses year after year.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Rutledge and pay are not Nebraska's special teams problems.
Players and emphasis are. Funny how a kicker that isn't a soccer reject makes that part of st look better.
I think a real punter will help similarly.
Next? Playing some truly talented guys on coverage and return teams and emphasizing it in practice. That is my one real complaint of how Frost has handled special teams. It seems apparent he places little value on it time and personnel wise.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
So, we are blaming a guy that looks 12-years old and can’t work with the players for our problems? Got it.

Frost is dropping the hammer.

I'd take that chance and bring in a top guy like Aranda who can get you a national title, even if you occasionally miss and bring in a dud. Far better than settling for average at best defenses year after year.
Don’t think aranda will leave head coach job at baylor until he’s hired for a better gig or he gets fired

Matt Lubick has been a football coach in some capacity since 1995. He spent time at Oregon State, Ole Miss, Arizona State, Duke, Oregon, and Washington, he takes one year off and works at a credit union, and every genius on this board can't stop saying "we hired a bank teller for offensive coordinator!!!" I don't know if he's the answer but quit crying about us not spending millions of dollars on coordinators. How'd that work out with Bob Diaco?

He was shown the door at Oregon in November of 2016, and took a WR coach job for 2 weeks at Ole Miss right after before bolting to Baylor for a co-OC role in January before taking the co-OC role in February of 17 at Washington.

He took over a top 10 offense 41.8 PPG from the year before he left, with returning QB Jake Browning who threw for 43 TD’s the year before Lubick arrived and then went to 36.2 PPG in year 1 (17th) and then 26.4 PPG (89th) in year 2. Washington’s coach said there would be offensive fixes put in place and Lubick, who was out of contract, ended up working at a credit union saying he was tired of the grind of football.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
We did do a great job when opposing teams pulled out the bag of tricks on fake punts. I think my favorite was the Illinois punter running about 200 yards in super slow motion, almost tearing up his knee stopping on a dime, then casually strolling past the first down marker. Probably my favorite play of the year.

Reactions: MontanaMan
We did do a great job when opposing teams pulled out the bag of tricks on fake punts. I think my favorite was the Illinois punter running about 200 yards in super slow motion, almost tearing up his knee stopping on a dime, then casually strolling past the first down marker. Probably my favorite play of the year.
That was an all-timer. Right up there with Lightbourne’s backward onside kick and Cotton’s false start.

Was he not fired from Washington, couldn't find a good Football job, so became a bank teller?
I’m not a huge fan of Lubick, but how many times do you have to shuffle out to the mailbox to collect $500,000? I believe that's what he made at that "bank teller" job.

Reactions: headcard
There is an all state Punter in Nebraska that didnt get a sniff thats committed to going to NWMS. Wouldnt have been the worse thing to offer or at least discuss a grayshirt

ADVERTISEMENT