ADVERTISEMENT

Special teams analyst out

of note:

In net punting, NU ranked 12th in the league at 35.2 yards, just ahead of the two last-placed teams who were at 35.1 yards. The Huskers had just eight punts placed inside the 20-yard line, which ranked 12th in the Big Ten for starting punters. They allowed 15.9 yards per punt return, which was the third-most allowed by any team in the conference.

Nebraska also had a punt blocked in 2020, gave up a kick return for a touchdown and two different teams converted fake punts on the Big Red this past season.

hope Frost hires a full-time coach to address ST this season. we've needed it for 3 years.

Frost kicked him out the door after one year. The interesting thing is that he had done a pretty good job with special teams at other schools. Supports my theory that somebody put a curse on Memorial Stadium. Players and coaches apparently cannot succeed in that environment until we get an Exorcist to sanctify the stadium.

It's that time of the year when assistants get rehired, raises or get the boot out the door.

So we’re maxed out at coaches so someone will have to add on this role to their current assignment. Or let go of Harry Potter, have Frost coach the QBs and hire a legit coordinator.
I would be a-okay with this.

also, we should find another nickname for coach V. using "Harry Potter" as a pejorative doesn't make sense at all.

So we’re maxed out at coaches so someone will have to add on this role to their current assignment. Or let go of Harry Potter, have Frost coach the QBs and hire a legit coordinator.

I'd like to Coach Frost let Mario go and hire a legit play calling OC and handle the Special Team himslef. Or he could let Mario go, coach QB's himslef and hire a ST guy.

Last edited:
Frost kicked him out the door after one year. The interesting thing is that he had done a pretty good job with special teams at other schools. Supports my theory that somebody put a curse on Memorial Stadium. Players and coaches apparently cannot succeed in that environment until we get an Exorcist to sanctify the stadium.

Isn't Ron Brown on board to help drive away the demons?

How many other teams have had to operate with second-team (or lower) punters and kickers for the bulk of a season? In 2017, because of Sam Foltz's death, we had to use our second-team kicker. In 2019, we were using fifth- and sixth-team placekickers. In 2020, because of Cerni's injury, we used our second-team punter. To add to that, our placekicker didn't have the leg to get many touchbacks, though he was a very good short- to medium-range FG kicker.

For the 40th time, Cerni at punter, Kelen Meyer on KOs and Culp at PK will help a lot. Now about coverage ...

He wasn't an official assistant coach so he didn't count against the coaching assistant limit. He was like one of those quality control personnel.

I'm, not sure how to feel about this. It seemed like everywhere Rutledge has been, there has been a big jump in special teams in year two. Also, while some areas did suck, he was able to bring in Culp and Cerni. I hope we have a plan to add a legit ST coach here.

To compare full-time assistant coaching assignments:
Offensive assistants
Nebraska 5, Iowa 5, Wisconsin 5, Northwestern 5
Defensive assistants
Nebraska 5, Iowa 4, Wisconsin 4, Northwestern 4
Special Teams assistants
Nebraska 0, Iowa `1, Wisconsin 1, Northwestern 1

The difference? Both Iowa and Wisconsin have a special teams coordinator because their defensive coordinators also coach a position — defensive backs for both. Our DC does not coach a position group. We'll see what Northwestern does to re-shuffle its staff in reaction to Hankwitz's retirement.

To compare full-time assistant coaching assignments:
Offensive assistants
Nebraska 5, Iowa 5, Wisconsin 5, Northwestern 5
Defensive assistants
Nebraska 5, Iowa 4, Wisconsin 4, Northwestern 4
Special Teams assistants
Nebraska 0, Iowa `1, Wisconsin 1, Northwestern 1

The difference? Both Iowa and Wisconsin have a special teams coordinator because their defensive coordinators also coach a position — defensive backs for both. Our DC does not coach a position group. We'll see what Northwestern does to re-shuffle its staff in reaction to Hankwitz's retirement.

Speaking of Wisconsin, their ST coach is also their ace recruiter.

If we are to believe what we read, hear and see:

Rutledge had apparent success previously, based on all the articles. Rebuttal, they can make No Pelini look good with selective writing.

Rutledge didn't coach a single kid, he only put game plans together. If the plans were good at the other schools, what happened to us?

No matter how good his analysis was, the kids still need to be coached and it was obvious that didn't happen. So was Rutledge just the scapegoat for poor ST play.

We are back at the same place we have been, no ST coach with duties being shared by several so no one is responsible. Which coach do you want to give up for ST? Pelini took ST at Nebraska and they improved.

If you are a position coach you are watching game film constantly. Now throw in ST film and it becomes a lot.

Frost absolutely needs to get this figured out. Just reading the clippings of coaches and players doesn't automatically make them successful or even good. Results matter and we have seen none of that. That is why I do not buy into the hype in print.

Dawson was the special teams coordinator at BC for three years. Chinander, currently not coaching a position group, has been an OLB coach.

Reactions: headcard
This dude was the scapegoat. From what I heard he was overruled a lot and actually did bring a lot to the table, but his voice was never going to be heard. We need to buck up and get a full time ST guy like the Bama's of the world.
Agreed - I don’t think Rutledge was the problem as I’m sure the dude has forgotten more about ST’s than any of the coaches on our staff has ever known (outside of Dawson, maybe). If you’re boss does not listen to your input and won’t let you do your job then failure is inevitable.

If Frost hires a legitimate ST’s professional then his only choice is to handover the keys and let that coach own it.

Dawson was the special teams coordinator at BC for three years. Chinander, currently not coaching a position group, has been an OLB coach.

Another place you could add a ST coach would be if Beckton moves on. Alot of teams have TE coach/ST coordinator. There are options and we need to make this happen.

I hope this is the beginning of hiring a full-time special teams coach who is tops in the industry.
You can't hire a full-time special teams assistant coach without letting one of the other assistants go. We're already maxed out on the number of official assistant coaches. Now he was already full time devoted to special teams just not classified as an assistant coach.

You can't hire a full-time special teams assistant coach without letting one of the other assistants go. We're already maxed out on the number of official assistant coaches. Now he was already full time devoted to special teams just not classified as an assistant coach.
I'm well aware of that, so it also means that Frost would have to make additional changes in-order for it to occur (ex. bye bye Mario).

He wasn't an official assistant coach so he didn't count against the coaching assistant limit. He was like one of those quality control personnel.
Yes, we know. What people are saying is they want an official assistant coach to cover ST. We'd have to fire/reassign someone to cover that. Lubick have any experience there? Since he isnt actually the OC that his title suggests, maybe that could change him to WR/ST Coordinator. What about Ruud? Or Dawson? Could one of them cover MOST of the LB duties and the other cover ST? I think they need to get Austin some help, but maybe that is Beckton? As he is "only" TE currently.

Long, rambling, story short, I think there are plenty of options to shuffle duties around and cover ST with the staff they have. (assuming no one is leaving that is)

So they released the announcement of parting ways with Rutledge on a Thursday, does that mean a second announcement is coming Friday to further reveal additional staff changes ? Maybe a retirement?
GBR!

Reactions: headcard
Another place you could add a ST coach would be if Beckton moves on. Alot of teams have TE coach/ST coordinator. There are options and we need to make this happen.

Yeah I never understood why we have a full-time TE coach, and 2 full-time LB coaches. Seems like a Special Teams coach could just help with TEs or LBs, or Lubick could also coach TEs. But Beckton has opened a lot of recruiting doors for us down in Georgia, so I don't think Frost wants to lose him.

I don't believe Carlos Polk is currently coaching, he was let go from the Cowboys in 2019 when McCarthy was hired. Maybe he could come aboard in a GA role and focus on Special Teams?

I can’t stand the Ron Brown shots all the time. That gets old. The dude is one of the most upstanding men you’ll ever meet. That’s generally where we are as a country now unfortunately. Principled men and women of high character are attacked and idiots glorified. It’s sad.

If you have never had the opportunity to speak with Ron Brown, you are missing out on a treasures experience. I have and count it as a highlight and confirmed my admiration for the guy.

Those that lean left and use the word "tolerant" in every sentence are clueless.

Last edited:
I can’t stand the Ron Brown shots all the time. That gets old. The dude is one of the most upstanding men you’ll ever meet. That’s generally where we are as a country now unfortunately. Principled men and women of high character are attacked and idiots glorified. It’s sad.

Wasn't a shot at Ron Brown. I do agree that he's as good of a human being as it gets.

ADVERTISEMENT