ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams Analyst Hire

They should not say an Old Miss graduate, then later refer to graduating from Oxford. Makes him sound British and refined.
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/huskers-appear-to-have-settled-on-special-teams-analyst-hire
In today's day and age of internet gullibility, that is enough proof for me that this new hire is
British. I figure that he was brought in to help with planning the Ireland trip in 2021 and Dublin will be close enough to home for his family to see the game.

I have decided I am going to be giddy about this. Those Auburn rankings sound pretty good, and the fact that SF has finally realized that the kicking game is important.
I am sure that Frost has always known that the kicking game is important. And I am also sure that he was as frustrated as all of us were with the special teams last year. And we also need to remember that injuries to our kickers was a huge factor last year. Also... our lack of depth caused us to play a lot of walk ons in the kicking game and the poor kick coverage suffered as a result.

Go back to the 1995 Orange Bowl. After we scored the go ahead touchdown we kicked off to Miami and the tackle was made on the play by an unknown freshman by the name of Grant Wistrom. That is what is lacking. Often, poor kick coverage is not an issue with coaching so much as it is a barometer of how much quality depth your team lacks.

I am sure that Frost has always known that the kicking game is important. And I am also sure that he was as frustrated as all of us were with the special teams last year. And we also need to remember that injuries to our kickers was a huge factor last year. Also... our lack of depth caused us to play a lot of walk ons in the kicking game and the poor kick coverage suffered as a result.

Go back to the 1995 Orange Bowl. After we scored the go ahead touchdown we kicked off to Miami and the tackle was made on the play by an unknown freshman by the name of Grant Wistrom. That is what is lacking. Often, poor kick coverage is not an issue with coaching so much as it is a barometer of how much quality depth your team lacks.
There were bad coaching decisions also. Like kicking long in the Iowa game and getting it returned for a touchdown after pooch kicking it earlier. And allowing Belt to bring kickoffs out of the end zone.

Yeah blame the walkons. The scholarship players sucked in kickoff coverage too. Kickoff coverage reflected our defense: slow, poor angles, and couldn't tackle.

Maybe after we score touchdowns Coach Frost can take his head out the playbook, hold off on chest-bumping Ryan Held for a few and go talk to the special teams before they run out on the field about the plan for the kickoff.

At least then he would have a better answer when a reporter asks him what the hell happened on that kickoff return for a touchdown! Unlike his embarrassing answer from the Iowa game.....smh.

Maybe after we score touchdowns Coach Frost can take his head out the playbook, hold off on chest-bumping Ryan Held for a few and go talk to the special teams before they run out on the field about the plan for the kickoff.

At least then he would have a better answer when a reporter asks him what the hell happened on that kickoff return for a touchdown! Unlike his embarrassing answer from the Iowa game.....smh.
Jeez your distain for our HC is bordering on crazy town. Also, we had a ST coach, it’s his job to talk to his unit about coverage. And as you may have noticed, that guy isn’t around anymore

During the season as Special Teams suffered, I wondered how much the medical issues DeWitt had been battling may have impacted the ST preparations. Not making light of or minimizing the importance of his health.It just seemed like as aspect of the game in which we had zero preparation.

Nice try

Reactions: headcard

Geezus get a clue

You must think Nebraska has only two coaches? What a stupid comment

Grant Wistrom was certainly not unknown. He was a highly coveted recruit the previous year. But I agree they had good players on kick coverage.

I largely agree with everyone calling AMG a clown, but not entirely.

After all, the greatest coach ever makes it a point to involve himself in special teams and always finds a way to turn that facet into an advantage for his team year in and year out.

typical

Grant Wistrom was certainly not unknown. He was a highly coveted recruit the previous year. But I agree they had good players on kick coverage.
Yes. Good correction. But, as you note, my main point still stands.

And responding to a few other criticisms of my post: I never said coaching doesn’t matter. Of course it does. And the coach in question is gone. But my main point is valid and is well known to any football fan with a brain. Special teams play is very often a barometer of quality depth.

05f1aa90-31dd-0131-a2d7-76b7f9e21f61.gif

Jeez your distain for our HC is bordering on crazy town. Also, we had a ST coach, it’s his job to talk to his unit about coverage. And as you may have noticed, that guy isn’t around anymore

I understand wanting to defend your college crush or whatever but everyone not Towing the line or Koolaid drinkers .......some of care about WINNING!

I give credit where credit is due and when warranted but I'm holding all coaches of teams I root for at the same standards....I don't care about his past!

People criticized coaches in the past round here (who were winning majority of games) for anything petty and it was acceptable now the standards SO LOW no one cares about winning or what it takes to get there.

Some of you dudes defend a coach more than you defend your wives and boyfriends...

I understand wanting to defend your college crush or whatever but everyone not Towing the line or Koolaid drinkers .......some of care about WINNING!

I give credit where credit is due and when warranted but I'm holding all coaches of teams I root for at the same standards....I don't care about his past!

People criticized coaches in the past round here (who were winning majority of games) for anything petty and it was acceptable now the standards SO LOW no one cares about winning or what it takes to get there.

Some of you dudes defend a coach more than you defend your wives and boyfriends...
Except you are making up idiotic things to bitch about (see your post above). You are pissing and moaning about nonsense and provide nothing of substance and come off like an unhinged lunatic.

Last edited:
Geezus get a clue

In 2019 Nebraska had what was regarded as somewhere between the 110 and 120 ranked special teams unit in the country.

In 2014 the Nebraska football head coach "took over" special teams or some might say delegated it to a person who was NOT an assistant coach.

Either way he made special teams a focus and by all accounts had the overall #1 to #5 ranked Special Teams unit in the COUNTRY depending on whose rating you use.

While the ST doesn't have to be #1 I'm sure being top 30 probably At least gets you 2 more wins! By the way even Mike Riley had a year (2016) when his ST was ranked #14....

The 2 years he was at Missouri. 43 and 87. Probably still an upgrade of Dewitt. It still is a bit concerning we don't actually have a coach.
Likely there will be a point man, working with the analyst and on the field. Much like Dewitt needed, he could have used an analyst.
I'm sure that's how it'll shake out.

Reactions: husker2612
In 2019 Nebraska had what was regarded as somewhere between the 110 and 120 ranked special teams unit in the country.

In 2014 the Nebraska football head coach "took over" special teams or some might say delegated it to a person who was NOT an assistant coach.

Either way he made special teams a focus and by all accounts had the overall #1 to #5 ranked Special Teams unit in the COUNTRY depending on whose rating you use.

While the ST doesn't have to be #1 I'm sure being top 30 probably At least gets you 2 more wins! By the way even Mike Riley had a year (2016) when his ST was ranked #14....
Unbelievable there are still Riley apologists out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT