ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, this isn't on Mickey

Our team, with the exception of a few playmakers, has terrible talent.

Remember, this is a team that couldn't stop Northwestern on 14 straight rushing plays. Was getting driven back 10 yards at time by Illinois.

Oline that has gotten savaged by almost all defensive fronts. Poor Grant has had to create 50% of his yardage on his own.

No coach can come in and turn these turds into candy. Purdy didn't even look D2 quality. You can't make up for Frosts entire off-season and fall camp with a few weeks practice.

He has shown he can make a tough decision and fire a defensive coordinator. I believe he can get the right guys in here and hold them accountable. I think he can recruit.

I'm not trying to argue whether he should get the HC position next year. I'm just saying taking games like today is probably not going to reflect what a 2023 Joseph team might be.
The season might not be on Mickey. But as much as I wanted Mickey to succeed, it's also clear to me now that he isn't that turnaround genius needed as the next Nebraska head coach. I'm glad though that he was given such a tryout to show what he could do in terms of game planning and adjustments.

It's time for Nebraska to quit screwing around and finally make a decent hire.

I didn't see Illinois complain about talent and they had no problem taking care of us. Look at their recruiting rankings compared to ours.
Then you have no idea how well Lovie recruited at Illinois, particularly from Florida. Not only is that team stacked with talent, but it's talent that was evaluated well. Our online has four stars on it but lack of development isn't the only thing holding it back.

Who the **** cares about a resume? BOB has a supposedly great resume, is a dick and Alabama fans would love to get rid of him. Is that want you want? A failed NFL retread? It would be Callahan 2.0. So who else? There's no one that would come to NU. I want somebody to return the program to relevancy and we've got that guy now.

Everybody who wants Nebraska football to win cares about a good resume. Since you claim to want Nebraska to be returned to relevancy, you should care too since we don't have that guy. Joseph has been a position coach and a loser as an Associate HC before a 2-3 record as an interim coach. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he would be successful as the full time HC. It is purely emotion based if you want him to be the guy.

Remember, this is a team that couldn't stop Northwestern on 14 straight rushing plays. Was getting driven back 10 yards at time by Illinois.

Oline that has gotten savaged by almost all defensive fronts. Poor Grant has had to create 50% of his yardage on his own.

No coach can come in and turn these turds into candy. Purdy didn't even look D2 quality. You can't make up for Frosts entire off-season and fall camp with a few weeks practice.

He has shown he can make a tough decision and fire a defensive coordinator. I believe he can get the right guys in here and hold them accountable. I think he can recruit.

I'm not trying to argue whether he should get the HC position next year. I'm just saying taking games like today is probably not going to reflect what a 2023 Joseph team might be.
Very wise post!

Some people think it’s a home run hire with him and I just don’t get it. I like the guy think he’s a great proven position coach, but I’m not seeing the decision through the same rose-colored glasses they are. If he didn’t have Nebraska ties, I don’t think he would be on anyone’s radar. NU needs to hire the best available proven FBS head coach they can get.

And maybe I’m blind, but I don’t get the same “wow, this team looks completely different under Mickey!” vibes that many are getting. NU has been outclassed by every superior team they have faced and beat the two worst programs on the schedule. The state of the program’s struggles aren’t Mickey’s fault, but lets not pretend this team is suddenly some contender because he’s iHC. The team was trash under Frost and still is. Anything beyond that is wishcasting.
The condition of the program is Frost's fault and most of the talent he chased off, but I would bet there isn't a coach in the country that could have turned this pile of crap into a winning season. Just keeping it real.

Reactions: dpnavy and Laner2

you're right...this isn't on Mickey. He's not meant to be the Head Coach. He is meant to be the WR coach who is trying to fill in as Head Coach. Neb. right now essentially has no DC or HC....hence why we suck. Have to get in a legit, qualified head coach and then we can start building from the ground up.

I do believe that Mickey Joseph, Bill Busch, Mark Whipple, and maybe one more should be retained. They've earned it

Last edited:
you're right...this isn't on Mickey. He's not meant to be the Head Coach. He is meant to be the WR who is trying to fill in as Head Coach. Neb. right now essentially has no DC or HC....hence why we suck. Have to get in a legit, qualified head coach and then we can start building from the ground up.

I do believe that Mickey Joseph, Bill Busch, Mark Whipple, and maybe one more should be retained. They've earned it
Agree with most of what you’ve said, but no coach worth anything at all is going to come here with 4 assistants already pre-assigned to his staff. Mickey is the only one who has a legitimate possibility of staying due to his recruiting role.

Agree with most of what you’ve said, but no coach worth anything at all is going to come here with 4 assistants already pre-assigned to his staff. Mickey is the only one who has a legitimate possibility of staying due to his recruiting role.
Bill Busch does as well. He's proven himself to be an effective assistant coach over very very long time. Same with Mark Whipple. The reason I doubt Mark Whipple returns is because of his age. But Whipple showed at Pitt just last yr. what he can do when given above average QB play and above average OL play...neither of which Neb. has

I know that Arizona State is not hiring Mickey Joseph to be their next head football coach.

It's amazing that after the Frost debacle, many Husker fans still want us to make another sentimental hire
You're still wrong

I think so too. Mickey is the head coach so if he wanted Masker or Harrberg out there this afternoon then he should have demanded Whipple get one of them out on the field when Purdue proved ineffective. Playing ineffective players, regarless of they are hurt or not is bad for the morale of the team.
smothers

I disagree slightly. We have some young talent that should see more playing time. Time for players like Nelson, Tanner, Gifford, Bolt, etc. to sit and let the youngins have a chance. If Mickey does that, I'll give him some grace. If not, bye, bye, Mickey!!

Yesterday it was obvious that Mickey will not be able to cull much more from this group on Saturdays. They are who they are. Saban would have the same record right now if he'd have taken over the team in week 5. The cupboard is not bare, but we have 2-3 legit B1G starters on each side of the ball. The rest are either freshmen who will be good later (Hartzog), or don't belong on a P5 team (Benhart). I really wanted Mickey to earn the job, but I feel like he needed at least 6 wins to be a legit candidate. He and the staff are doing everything that they can, but talent and playmakers are what get you over the hump on Saturday, not a great week of practice, or a great scheme. We don't have enough Jimmy's and Joe's right now.

How many kids hit the portal if Mickey isn’t here, much less recruits. We have a good group here if need help in areas. The only thing Mickey has said I have to scratch my head over, is the mental rep part for backups. Chubba should at least get a third of the reps. Felt sorry for the kid

Good point about the push Illinois was getting. There would be no holes, yet they would get 8-9 yards just pushing our d line backwards.

Heard a comment on big red wrap-up that we get 4 star guys coming in, then they don’t get any better until they go to the NFL where all of a sudden they are good again. We need an almost 100% turnover in coaching staff.

Reactions: BleedRed78
How many kids hit the portal if Mickey isn’t here, much less recruits. We have a good group here if need help in areas. The only thing Mickey has said I have to scratch my head over, is the mental rep part for backups. Chubba should at least get a third of the reps. Felt sorry for the kid

We saw Saturday how well mental reps work.

I like Mickey. But he is not ready for a job of this magnitude. He did a nice job of getting the guys to rally around him and get a couple wins. But the only winnable game left on the schedule is Iowa. He needed to go 6-6 minimum. He's looking like at best he'll be 4-8.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Then you have no idea how well Lovie recruited at Illinois, particularly from Florida. Not only is that team stacked with talent, but it's talent that was evaluated well. Our online has four stars on it but lack of development isn't the only thing holding it back.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT