ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry, this isn't on Mickey

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Our team, with the exception of a few playmakers, has terrible talent.

Remember, this is a team that couldn't stop Northwestern on 14 straight rushing plays. Was getting driven back 10 yards at time by Illinois.

Oline that has gotten savaged by almost all defensive fronts. Poor Grant has had to create 50% of his yardage on his own.

No coach can come in and turn these turds into candy. Purdy didn't even look D2 quality. You can't make up for Frosts entire off-season and fall camp with a few weeks practice.

He has shown he can make a tough decision and fire a defensive coordinator. I believe he can get the right guys in here and hold them accountable. I think he can recruit.

I'm not trying to argue whether he should get the HC position next year. I'm just saying taking games like today is probably not going to reflect what a 2023 Joseph team might be.

No, it isn't on Mickey. But I don't understand the fascination so many seem to have with him. Do you think he is even in the Top 20 candidates for the ADs at Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Auburn, Arizona State, Colorado, etc? Do you think they are going "wow Mickey Joseph is doing such a great job, we better interview him"?

No, it isn't on Mickey. But I don't understand the fascination so many seem to have with him. Do you think he is even in the Top 20 candidates for the ADs at Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Auburn, Arizona State, Colorado, etc? Do you think they are going "wow Mickey Joseph is doing such a great job, we better interview him"?
Some people think it’s a home run hire with him and I just don’t get it. I like the guy think he’s a great proven position coach, but I’m not seeing the decision through the same rose-colored glasses they are. If he didn’t have Nebraska ties, I don’t think he would be on anyone’s radar. NU needs to hire the best available proven FBS head coach they can get.

And maybe I’m blind, but I don’t get the same “wow, this team looks completely different under Mickey!” vibes that many are getting. NU has been outclassed by every superior team they have faced and beat the two worst programs on the schedule. The state of the program’s struggles aren’t Mickey’s fault, but lets not pretend this team is suddenly some contender because he’s iHC. The team was trash under Frost and still is. Anything beyond that is wishcasting.

Remember, this is a team that couldn't stop Northwestern on 14 straight rushing plays. Was getting driven back 10 yards at time by Illinois.

Oline that has gotten savaged by almost all defensive fronts. Poor Grant has had to create 50% of his yardage on his own.

No coach can come in and turn these turds into candy. Purdy didn't even look D2 quality. You can't make up for Frosts entire off-season and fall camp with a few weeks practice.

He has shown he can make a tough decision and fire a defensive coordinator. I believe he can get the right guys in here and hold them accountable. I think he can recruit.

I'm not trying to argue whether he should get the HC position next year. I'm just saying taking games like today is probably not going to reflect what a 2023 Joseph team might be.
It is on him and Mickey would say so himself.

The buck always stops at the top....so yes, the W/L fall on him technically.

BUT it is unrealistic to think talent would change giving a new coach only four games etc. I dont have an issue with fans not wanting MJ as the next head coach, I dont have an issue with fans questioning some of the play calling. What I do have an issue with is fans thinking MJ could snap his fingers and everything would completely change.

MJ was set up for failure on day 1.

I think this is a meaningless statement. What one school wants or ends up hiring has absolutely nothing to do with another school. At least in most cases. The criteria is different at every school. The facilities, the budget, the support of boosters, NIL money, location, etc are different. Who Auburn hires may not even be on Trev’s list and visa versa. For example I bet Herm Edwards was not considered when Moos hired Frost.

I think so too. Mickey is the head coach so if he wanted Masker or Harrberg out there this afternoon then he should have demanded Whipple get one of them out on the field when Purdue proved ineffective. Playing ineffective players, regarless of they are hurt or not is bad for the morale of the team.

I think this is a meaningless statement. What one school wants or ends up hiring has absolutely nothing to do with another school. At least in most cases. The criteria is different at every school. The facilities, the budget, the support of boosters, NIL money, location, etc are different. Who Auburn hires may not even be on Trev’s list and visa versa. For example I bet Herm Edwards was not considered when Moos hired Frost.
It is relevant. If we hire Joseph, we are hiring a guy that many G5 teams wouldn't even touch, let alone P5 programs or bluebloods which we supposedly are.

It is actually pretty bizarre so many on here want him. What is the reason, because he is a Husker alum? His resume isn't impressive and he has a losing record as an interim coach even against 5 non-elite opponents.

The buck always stops at the top....so yes, the W/L fall on him technically.

BUT it is unrealistic to think talent would change giving a new coach only four games etc. I dont have an issue with fans not wanting MJ as the next head coach, I dont have an issue with fans questioning some of the play calling. What I do have an issue with is fans thinking MJ could snap his fingers and everything would completely change.

MJ was set up for failure on day 1.
I didn't see Illinois complain about talent and they had no problem taking care of us. Look at their recruiting rankings compared to ours.

Herm Edwards was a WTF hire and that was proven correct. I don't think he was on any other college program's radar.

There are no guarantees, and many times hires that look good on paper don't pan out. But there aren't many instances of a coach with Mickey's resume, being able to turn around a terrible losing program.

This isn't a situation where a guy is taking over a winning program and culture and just needs to keep it going. We need a complete rebuild. Trusting that to someone with very little D-I coaching experience is a long shot gamble.

I didn't see Illinois complain about talent and they had no problem taking care of us. Look at their recruiting rankings compared to ours.
Illinois is a great example of how things can turn around in a hurry if you hire the right guy. Illinois has had 10 straight losing seasons and only one 9 win season in the last 20 years. Yet they made a good hire and in year 2 are7-1 and will likely win the West.

Something the fans on here should consider as they kept saying Frost should get more time as the losing seasons added up.

Ok, but Mickey doesn't have an impressive resume before his losing interim stint so why should he be a serious candidate? We are about to have our 6th straight losing season. You only hire Joseph if basically everybody else says no.
I think it is either Mickey or someone who is not currently a Power 5 head coach. Hey, I bet A&M would give us Jimbo. He meets the criteria of many for our next head coach. He is about to go down to Lane

I think it is either Mickey or someone who is not currently a Power 5 head coach. Hey, I bet A&M would give us Jimbo. He meets the criteria of many for our next head coach. He is about to go down to Lane
What makes you think Mickey has a chance at getting the full time job? That would be a disaster. He is unqualified.

yep, we love a loser and black to make it feel better

I agree that this is not on Mickey... BUT, it is imperative that he and the staff have a backup QB whose had reps and is ready to take actual command of the offense. And Whipple needs to have plays and a mini-offense for Smothers. He can be effective, but not in Whipple's pass happy offense.

this game pretty much went as predicted. we are a lil too pass happy, I'd like to see us more balanced with the run. we just don't have the horses the team we were playing does. so the question is
can mickey get the horses? and is he best shot to get the horses?
and not only the players, can he get the coaches to teach blocking and tackleing?

I'd like to get a aranda or leipold, heck even cambell...but keep mickey for recruiting
it's a tough call because who knows what kinda team mickey would produce, we are just looking at him trying to deal with frost's mess.

Reactions: Wasker77

Yes you are and your silly if you think he deserves to coach Nebraska. SMDH .

What makes you think Mickey has a chance at getting the full time job? That would be a disaster. He is unqualified.
My whole statement
Ok, but I also write “or someone who currently is not a Power 5 coach.“ That is not limiting my guess to just Mickey.

Ok, but Mickey doesn't have an impressive resume before his losing interim stint so why should he be a serious candidate? We are about to have our 6th straight losing season. You only hire Joseph if basically everybody else says no.
Who the **** cares about a resume? BOB has a supposedly great resume, is a dick and Alabama fans would love to get rid of him. Is that want you want? A failed NFL retread? It would be Callahan 2.0. So who else? There's no one that would come to NU. I want somebody to return the program to relevancy and we've got that guy now.

• Haha
Reactions: Lincoln100
So many idiots on this board, Nebraska fans are some of the worst dipshits in college football. I'm embarrassed for ya'll. You deserve this misery.

Who the **** cares about a resume? BOB has a supposedly great resume, is a dick and Alabama fans would love to get rid of him. Is that want you want? A failed NFL retread? It would be Callahan 2.0. So who else? There's no one that would come to NU. I want somebody to return the program to relevancy and we've got that guy now.
Make your case for Mickey. Don't get mad about it just make your case for him without emotion. State his accomplishments and other evidence as to why everyone that disagrees with you is foolish.

Mickey is being a coach when he falls on the sword repeatedly in press conferences.

Do you really expect him to say in press conferences that there just isn’t a enough talent on this team? That some of the position coaches suck?

I’ll say it for him:
The Offensive line is incapable. They can’t block anyone in run or pass protection. The are fat, uncoordinated, have low football IQ, and need to move on (all of Them)!

This is a problem from 4 years of mismanagement by Frost. A magic wand cannot be waved to fix this in a matter of weeks!

There are not enough playmakers on the Defensive line. Defense is very bad at tackling.

This is a problem from 4 years of mismanagement by Frost and some of the coaches on staff (some). A magic wand cannot be waved to fix this in a matter of weeks!

Um, actually, he is on the very short list at Arizona State

Mickey improved the team by firing Chinander. "We weren't even lining up right", was what he said (I believe) after the OU game. I think he would like to fire the O-Line coach, too, but you have to have enough warm bodies on the coaching staff to run practice every day. It appears to me that we are not quite the bumbling all around sh*t-show that we were under Frost. With that in mind, I believe Mickey has made the team better. But I don't think that is enough for him to be the front runner for the job.

My opinion is we really need an experienced head-coach that knows all of the moving parts of the HC job and is comfortable managing that. We need a head-coach that is going to hire the best coordinators and position coaches he can find - and NOT his buddies from previous stops that need a job.

Bielema took a hot mess at Illinois and turned them into a pretty salty team in a year. It can be done here, too.

Mickey improved the team by firing Chinander. "We weren't even lining up right", was what he said (I believe) after the OU game. I think he would like to fire the O-Line coach, too, but you have to have enough warm bodies on the coaching staff to run practice every day. It appears to me that we are not quite the bumbling all around sh*t-show that we were under Frost. With that in mind, I believe Mickey has made the team better. But I don't think that is enough for him to be the front runner for the job.

My opinion is we really need an experienced head-coach that knows all of the moving parts of the HC job and is comfortable managing that. We need a head-coach that is going to hire the best coordinators and position coaches he can find - and NOT his buddies from previous stops that need a job.

Bielema took a hot mess at Illinois and turned them into a pretty salty team in a year. It can be done here, too.
This is Bielema second year not his first at Illinois..

Illinois is a great example of how things can turn around in a hurry if you hire the right guy. Illinois has had 10 straight losing seasons and only one 9 win season in the last 20 years. Yet they made a good hire and in year 2 are7-1 and will likely win the West.

Something the fans on here should consider as they kept saying Frost should get more time as the losing seasons added up.
Illinois is now a team that can compete in the B1G and will be as long as BB is coach. It’s all about the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT