ADVERTISEMENT

Soni Fonua “N”?

Would we accept his commitment at this time? Seems like there are others higher on our board. Rivals doesn't show him having an offer from us.

Reactions: samuel
Don’t see anyone of Twitter talking about it other than changing his profile pic to him in a Husker uniform.

It is going to be fascinating to see how we close out this class. It is possible we won’t have room for multiple four star guys we have a legit shot at. Weather or not we take multiple OLB’s will be particularly interesting. If we take Fonua that probably means we will take 2 and something has to give somewhere else.

Sounds like he was impressed. Either we're way ahead on this guy or/and he has a silent /quiet offer

My bad. I see he does have an offer. Not sure what I was looking at

Last edited:
I see great benefit in taking a good Juco player. It will help spread out/ even out class sizes. Question: is Fonua a 2 for 2 guy or a 3 for 2 guy?
An answer as well for those who wonder why the two teams in the Polynesian Bowl are named Team Makai and Team Mauka:
– Mauka (mow-kah) means on the mountain side of the road in the context of directions.

– Makai (mah-kigh) means on the ocean side of the road in the context of directions.
https://www.govisithawaii.com/2009/03/06/do-you-know-your-mauka-from-makai/

I see great benefit in taking a good Juco player. It will help spread out/ even out class sizes. Question: is Fonua a 2 for 2 guy or a 3 for 2 guy?
An answer as well for those who wonder why the two teams in the Polynesian Bowl are named Team Makai and Team Mauka:
– Mauka (mow-kah) means on the mountain side of the road in the context of directions.

– Makai (mah-kigh) means on the ocean side of the road in the context of directions.
https://www.govisithawaii.com/2009/03/06/do-you-know-your-mauka-from-makai/

3 for 2 I believe.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It is going to be fascinating to see how we close out this class. It is possible we won’t have room for multiple four star guys we have a legit shot at. Weather or not we take multiple OLB’s will be particularly interesting. If we take Fonua that probably means we will take 2 and something has to give somewhere else.
If we finish off with:
OLB Fonua
OLB Parker/Jordan
WR Njoku
CB James
S NPG
DL Pola-Mao

That would be a pretty awesome finish to this class.

If we finish off with:
OLB Fonua
OLB Parker/Jordan
WR Njoku
CB James
S NPG
DL Pola-Mao

I think that’s pretty much the list (if we have room), but I also wonder if they consider guys like Houston or Bivens a must take and what happens if they want N.

If we finish off with:
OLB Fonua
OLB Parker/Jordan
WR Njoku
CB James
S NPG
DL Pola-Mao

We can't take all of these guys, unless we don't sign Mills or Bland. If we sign Mills and Bland, we only have 4 more spots available.

I think that’s pretty much the list (if we have room), but I also wonder if they consider guys like Houston or Bivens a must take and what happens if they want N.
My assumption is that Bivens would be a replacement for Mills if they don’t see him making it. If Fonua is “N”, I see them taking 2 OLB(1 juco and 1 HS). Not sure who I like more between Parker and Jordan. Jordan has some pretty impressive film. Asante was talked about at one point, but I don’t think he even has a visit set up yet and there may not be a spot for him if he wants it.

Reactions: TheBeav815
We can't take all of these guys, unless we don't sign Mills or Bland. If we sign Mills and Bland, we only have about 4 more spots available.
According to Clouse and Callahan, NU will probably be taking 30 this year. With that list and only Mills in(Bland is 50/50 right now, that would put us at 30.

According to Clouse and Callahan, NU will probably be taking 30 this year. With that list and only Mills in(Bland is 50/50 right now, that would put us at 30.

Doesn't the 30 count Darrion Daniels, too? Counting Daniels, we signed 24. Mills would be 25, without Bland that gives 5 spots. With Bland, only 4 spots.

If Daniels doesn't count toward the 30, then we could take them all without Bland.

My assumption is that Bivens would be a replacement for Mills if they don’t see him making it. If Fonua is “N”, I see them taking 2 OLB(1 juco and 1 HS). Not sure who I like more between Parker and Jordan. Jordan has some pretty impressive film. Asante was talked about at one point, but I don’t think he even has a visit set up yet and there may not be a spot for him if he wants it.

Parker was 2 year MVP defensive player of the year in his district in a Dallas suburb..and first team by Dallas Morning Star..

I like all of those guys. But really want Bland it make it. He will make us better next year.
Not sure what the deal with Bland is. He had told Bryan Munson at one time that he would be an early signee/graduate and would be here in January. Then, he doesn’t sign and tells everyone that the plan was always that he would sign in February. Some stuff just doesn’t add up with him. I’d be surprised if he does sign here, but you never know I guess.

Not sure what the deal with Bland is. He had told Bryan Munson at one time that he would be an early signee/graduate and would be here in January. Then, he doesn’t sign and tells everyone that the plan was always that he would sign in February. Some stuff just doesn’t add up with him. I’d be surprised if he does sign here, but you never know I guess.
I would take bland and mills even if they have to wait

I'm not sure I can get used to turning away 4*s because the class is full. I'm used to us scrambling around in February and barely filling up the class with reaches like Ernest Suttles.

We have other backs to rely on..

Agree we have "other backs," but I am not sure who in that bunch we can "rely" on. I would not rely on Washington although hia role will need to increase but after that you have names, that is all.

Last edited:
Would be a good addition to the class. Love having Islanders on the team. Those dudes are warriors. Definitely want an OLB that is ready to play right away, too.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been hoping for some time for a staff to build that relationship because they bring it.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Hard to say bc we cant see the complete picture..for instance if they can add a grad transfer gaurd and not take the risk of bland academics..then it would make sense to grab hs stud. Same for mills..remember grad transfer dont count toward the 30. BUT a guy like bland does count against the 30..so if he doesnt make it academically..he would of cost you a 4 star hs kid(5 yr player)

Reactions: headcard
Timing is everything..i believe they want to know on fonua and they will go from there. Think they value houston over james/mayo. Pola mao over them as well. Meaning if pola gates/pola mao/houston/njoku are must takes and if any of them are out it will open up space for a db.

Timing is everything..i believe they want to know on fonua and they will go from there. Think they value houston over james/mayo. Pola mao over them as well. Meaning if pola gates/pola mao/houston/njoku are must takes and if any of them are out it will open up space for a db.

I'm sure James is pretty important to them. We don't really have any true CBs in this class, do we?

ADVERTISEMENT