ADVERTISEMENT

"Some smoke" - Pelini to Kentucky

Ok. Do you have a point to go with that? Because I never said that he had zero good classes. I said the discussion around him when he got fired involved the recruiting falling off, and then we had to hear all the yapping about whether #RivalsRankingsMatter or #AllRankingsMatter

Do what you do, but those 02 and 03 classes were trending the wrong way.

But since you seem to be a big fan of his, maybe you can explain why the product on the field in 03 was so bad since those feeder classes were so great and he's such a solid coach? Great players, great coach...wha hahpun? Illuminati maybe......
'03 team won ten games. Recruiting fell off for three reasons: 1. We only took 18 players in '02 which hurt us, 2. We sucked in '02, and 3 (and by far most importantly) Stevie P. was hanging Frank was hung out to dry. It's the reason Red came to Riley's defense this year and broke his "rule." He wanted to keep recruits on board.

P.S. 2002 ESPN had Nebraska at 16 while Rivals had them 42. (Rivals killed them because of lack of quantity).
2003 They were rated 24 Lemming, 23 Newburg, 23 Hodge, 22 Emfinger, 24 Wallace, and 37th by Rivals.

Last edited:
'03 team won ten games. Recruiting fell off for three reasons: 1. We only took 18 players in '02 which hurt us, 2. We sucked in '02, and 3 (and by far most importantly) Stevie P. was hanging Frank was hung out to dry. It's the reason Red came to Riley's defense this year and broke his "rule." He wanted to keep recruits on board.
Yeah I meant to say 02. Whatever it was, time has shown what kind of HC he is.

Out of all the coaches who've graced our sideline since T.O, nobody has even come close to Solich's success he had here. Fact. I can formulate an argument for keeping Frank, and firing him, I have zero issue with anyone arguing for either point. I have a big issue with somebody treating him like the dirt you just did and I think you're being a huge dick about him. I don't care how we got into the title game, we got there. We finished the regular season with 1 loss, we were ranked #1 for weeks that season, we had a Heisman winning QB. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, because it was the last time we mattered in CFB. Frank doesn't deserve to be tossed under the bus and treated like dirt, and for you to go out of your way to do it is beyond weird.
I like Frank, but he underachieved with what he was handed and there were some things that were out of control that got Frank fired which included the Pelini boys. Our recruiting did in fact suck and SP knew it. Look at what we had on the roster for offensive skill players and O linemen. Good heavens. That said I would have much rather have had Frank than Bo back had TOM decided to go that way AND HE COULD HAVE. The question is, why didn't he? Instead he hired a golf buddy of an influential booster. Make no mistake, the money got Frank fired and the money hired Bo. Blame SP, HP or whomever you want, it was the money that made it happen.

I like Frank, but he underachieved with what he was handed.. Our recruiting did in fact suck and SP knew it.
Our recruiting did go down with Frank. We went from top 10 in 2000 and 2001 to some services ranking us 16 in 2002 and 22 in 2003.

If we end up #22 this year we will throw a party here.

Our recruiting did go down with Frank. We went from top 10 in 2000 and 2001 to some services ranking us 16 in 2002 and 22 in 2003.

If we end up #22 this year we will throw a party here.
"Some services". LOL. You know darned well that Rivals at the time was probably top of the heap for ranking services and they had us ranked down around the 40s those last two classes for very good reasons. All you have to do is look at the depth chart especially on offense when Callahan took over. It was TERRIBLE. Frank's recruiting organization and closing ability was not good and Bo didn't help that when he took over as DC.

Reactions: 94husker
So Rivals was right in 2000 and 2001 when they put us in the top 10?

In 2003 Rivals was right at #37 when five other services had us between 22-24?

Is Rivals right now in having us ten spots lower than 247?

Last edited:
So Rivals was right in 2000 and 2001 when they put us in the top 10?

In 2003 Rivals was right at #37 when five other services had us between 22-24?

Is Rivals right now in having us ten spots lower than 247?
No actually I think Rivals probably had us ranked too high in all of those instances because of the respect we garnered from Tom's success. We should have never had a top 15 class and should have probably been ranked in the 50s those last 2 classes. The proof was in the pudding on the field and Frank was recruiting poorly. BTW, I know better than to believe any number you throw out there because of your history of just making half truths up to stir the pot, but carry on. I'm not going to waste my time fact checking your trolls. Where we're ranked at this minute doesn't really matter in February now does it so I don't give a hoot about where 247 or Rivals has us ranked. If we make the top 25 that's great but SHOW ME on Saturdays a couple of years from now.

Brilliant...in 2003 FIVE recruiting services have us listed between 22-24 and Rivals had us at #37. But I should believe your estimate at #50 something. o_O

Your posts are getting crazier by the day. Take some time off.

Brilliant...in 2003 FIVE recruiting services have us listed between 22-24 and Rivals had us at #37. But I should believe your estimate at #50 something. o_O

Your posts are getting crazier by the day. Take some time off.
The proof was on the field. As I posted, IMO, NU got too much respect for their recruiting classes based on our previous success. It used to be that a kid that got an NU offer got a boost in his ranking. The proof was on the field. Those classes were not as good as their rankings. Rankings are a freaking guess. On the field play is a fact. Have fun at play today. I need to go get some work done.

For those of you playing along at home, Ohio lost to Appalachian State in their bowl game. That makes it 11 complete seasons, 2 bowl wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT