ADVERTISEMENT

Some recent observations during winter workouts

Oct 12, 2016
Here are some observations from someone who has seen workouts. These are not my opinion, i'm just relaying someone else's observation and thoughts.

- Fidone reminds him of a much bigger Cethan Carter. Now when I heard that comparison, I was a bit disappointed. Cethan Carter was a good and very productive player at Nebraska, but I would like to think Fidone can be better. But then it was pointed out that Cethan Carter's height and weight were both grossly exaggerated at Nebraska. Carter was really only about 6'2 220 lbs with socks on. Fidone is a legit 6'5 barefoot and has an extra 10 inches in his wingspan with much larger hands. The cool thing about that comparison is Fidone moves like Carter. He has excellent open field speed and cuts well in and out of his break. Don't be surprised to see Fidone play a lot of the X this season.

- Samori Toure - laughed at this one: "He's Kenny Bell, if Kenny Bell had ever lifted weights."

- Markese Stepp - dude is powerful and runs with a terrific low center of gravity. The kid is a complete 180 from Mills because he's charismatic and leadership is natural. He apparently sees a massive opportunity at Nebraska because of the offense compared to the Air Raid at in USC. His body style is very similar to Cody Glenn.

- Omar Manning - There have allegedly only been five athletes like Omar over the last 15+ seasons in Lincoln. By "like Omar," that means they had freakishly long and lean bodies, possessed elite explosiveness, and could out muscle, out hustle, and out run anyone on any given play : Zach Bowman, Prince Amukamara, Lavonte David, Quincy Enunwa, and Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

- Zavier Betts is nowhere near his ceiling, but his talent level right NOW is basically at the ceiling of a former Husker like Alonzo Moore. If Betts can produce like the 3rd or 4th year Alonzo Moore in 2021, Nebraska will probably be pretty damn good on offense.

- Oliver Martin - has a terrific attitude and work ethic which was surprising considering he's on his 3rd school in 4 years. I won't blow smoke up your butt and say he's Nate Swift, but his body type, skill set, and athletic ability is VERY reminiscent.

- Heinrich Haarberg - Kid is built better than some of the Outside Linebackers. He's an impressive looking kid and easily the biggest QB to play at Nebraska this century.

I will try to find out more stuff after Spring Practice starts.

Loved the comments, but had to laugh about the socks vs barefoot unless you talking really really really thick socks.Laughing

I seem to remember somewhere about a similar comment about Omar but the comparison was made to Randy Gregory. (athletic explosiveness&frame).

Here are some observations from someone who has seen workouts. These are not my opinion, i'm just relaying someone else's observation and thoughts.

- Fidone reminds him of a much bigger Cethan Carter. Now when I heard that comparison, I was a bit disappointed. Cethan Carter was a good and very productive player at Nebraska, but I would like to think Fidone can be better. But then it was pointed out that Cethan Carter's height and weight were both grossly exaggerated at Nebraska. Carter was really only about 6'2 220 lbs with socks on. Fidone is a legit 6'5 barefoot and has an extra 10 inches in his wingspan with much larger hands. The cool thing about that comparison is Fidone moves like Carter. He has excellent open field speed and cuts well in and out of his break. Don't be surprised to see Fidone play a lot of the X this season.

- Samori Toure - laughed at this one: "He's Kenny Bell, if Kenny Bell had ever lifted weights."

- Markese Stepp - dude is powerful and runs with a terrific low center of gravity. The kid is a complete 180 from Mills because he's charismatic and leadership is natural. He apparently sees a massive opportunity at Nebraska because of the offense compared to the Air Raid at in USC. His body style is very similar to Cody Glenn.

- Omar Manning - There have allegedly only been five athletes like Omar over the last 15+ seasons in Lincoln. By "like Omar," that means they had freakishly long and lean bodies, possessed elite explosiveness, and could out muscle, out hustle, and out run anyone on any given play : Zach Bowman, Prince Amukamara, Lavonte David, Quincy Enunwa, and Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

- Zavier Betts is nowhere near his ceiling, but his talent level right NOW is basically at the ceiling of a former Husker like Alonzo Moore. If Betts can produce like the 3rd or 4th year Alonzo Moore in 2021, Nebraska will probably be pretty damn good on offense.

- Oliver Martin - has a terrific attitude and work ethic which was surprising considering he's on his 3rd school in 4 years. I won't blow smoke up your butt and say he's Nate Swift, but his body type, skill set, and athletic ability is VERY reminiscent.

- Heinrich Haarberg - Kid is built better than some of the Outside Linebackers. He's an impressive looking kid and easily the biggest QB to play at Nebraska this century.

But were they moving around well? ;)

Let's hope half of that is accurate

During Off Season sponsored by Kool Aid...I hope 1/3 of it is accurate. Winking

tumblr_ojp18clq0z1si3gq6o1_1280.gif

Last edited:
good post, OP.

I very honestly believe Betts is the most talented kid on the entire team, and has a chance to develop into an All-B1G receiver.

we need to see it from the new guys consistently, but good to hear they're off on the right foot.

I also agree with @dinglefritz, who's been as high as anyone on him, that Martin has potential to be a guy we rely on heavily this season. I very much hope he's finally found a home here.

Nice info.

Interesting opinions on Manning.

Does anyone up here have any idea whatsoever exactly why someone with that kind of athletic ability was only able to get on the field about 2 plays last season?

Heard all kinds of speculation, but it's tough to understand. WR isn't exactly the most complicated spot to play. A superior athlete can step into the field at that spot and contribute something pretty quickly.

I loved reading your post. It gave me a chuckle. You tell us you're not going to blow smoke up our butt, and then in the same sentence, not even the next sentence, you literally blow smoke up our butt. That was funny.
The best was when you were talking about Betts. You say he hasn't reached his ceiling, but his talent level is on par with, drum roll, please, Alonzo Moore. What!? You can't be serious!! Luckily, you weren't. Thank you for injecting humor in my life. By the way, when you're finding out more stuff, ask them ,"Do they feel guilty receiving recognition even though they haven't been relevant for years?"

I loved reading your post. It gave me a chuckle. You tell us you're not going to blow smoke up our butt, and then in the same sentence, not even the next sentence, you literally blow smoke up our butt. That was funny.
The best was when you were talking about Betts. You say he hasn't reached his ceiling, but his talent level is on par with, drum roll, please, Alonzo Moore. What!? You can't be serious!! Luckily, you weren't. Thank you for injecting humor in my life. By the way, when you're finding out more stuff, ask them ,"Do they feel guilty receiving recognition even though they haven't been relevant for years?"

He literally blew smoke up our butt? literally?

giphy.gif.cf.gif

Last edited:
good post, OP.

I very honestly believe Betts is the most talented kid on the entire team, and has a chance to develop into an All-B1G receiver.

we need to see it from the new guys consistently, but good to hear they're off on the right foot.

I also agree with @dinglefritz, who's been as high as anyone on him, that Martin has potential to be a guy we rely on heavily this season. I very much hope he's finally found a home here.
I just thought he was impressive coming in late and being able to get on the field and make the plays he did. IF I recall correctly, he caught pretty much everything in his catch radius and showed some good speed to go with decent size. He appears to have been a nice pick up for us. I don't know that he's a game breaker but at this point we just need a WR who can run good routes, catch the ball and maybe outrun a safety.

Last edited:
Nice info.

Interesting opinions on Manning.

Does anyone up here have any idea whatsoever exactly why someone with that kind of athletic ability was only able to get on the field about 2 plays last season?

Heard all kinds of speculation, but it's tough to understand. WR isn't exactly the most complicated spot to play. A superior athlete can step into the field at that spot and contribute something pretty quickly.
No inside information but I've heard anything from missing time to COVID, to classroom issues and injury problems. It was pretty clear when he did get on the field that he didn't know where to line up at least once. IF you don't know where to line up, I don't know how the QB can trust that you'll be in the right place.

good break down. Like on your Fidone and Carter thing (- Fidone reminds him of a much bigger Cethan Carter. Now when I heard that comparison, I was a bit disappointed. Cethan Carter was a good and very productive player at Nebraska, but I would like to think Fidone can be better.) I wouldn’t be to worried about that because all they are doing is lifting weights and stuff like that. Im fairly confident none of them are out there running plays vs the defense or anything that. If Fidone is working out hard like C. Carter did when he was here, then that’s a good thing. Either way, Still some good info passed along. GBR

Edited: Just a reminder on Cethan Carter. Carter was named a True Freshman All-American by 247Sports in 2013. He also earned Big Ten Honorable Mention All-Freshman honors. He was named Honorable Mention All-Big Ten by both the media and coaches in 2016 as well

I don't get the whining.

It's not like Fidone was compared to someone great. Cethan Carter and people roll their eyes? Wtf? Really? If it was a bigger and stronger Kyler Reed, or Mike McNeil, hell even a pre-injury Matt Herian, I could see skepticism. Cethan Carter?

Betts as RS frosh to Alonzo Moore?
Toure to Kenny Bell from the weight room?
Stepp compared to Cody Glenn body wise. Not LP or Ahman or freaking Herschel Walker or something. Cody ****ing Glenn.

And people still have to piss in the Cheerios.

Bitches....

I don't get the whining.

It's not like Fidone was compared to someone great. Cethan Carter and people roll their eyes? Wtf? Really? If it was a bigger and stronger Kyler Reed, or Mike McNeil, hell even a pre-injury Matt Herian, I could see skepticism. Cethan Carter?

Betts as RS frosh to Alonzo Moore?
Toure to Kenny Bell from the weight room?
Stepp compared to Cody Glenn body wise. Not LP or Ahman or freaking Herschel Walker or something. Cody ****ing Glenn.

And people still have to piss in the Cheerios.

Bitches....

The source may have only seen players over the last 16 years or so.

We would have gone undefeated next season if we would have been able to duck out of the OU game!!
200.gif

Reactions: huntered
I’m just glad they actually get to do a spring camp this offseason. Missing all those practices and spring game last season only hurt development for the young players or 1st year guys (like transfers and JUCOs).
Well on the other side is that they all got a free year of eligibility for their eligibility clock and they all got to go through a 9 game season of practices AND get to do spring and summer workouts 2021
So in theory, they should be even more developed going into their “first year” in August 2021 than they would have been in August 2020 even had they had the spring and summer in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT