ADVERTISEMENT

Some recent observations during winter workouts

As far as the biggest QB, near the late 1960’s Nebraska had Frank Patrick who 6-7 220..

Harrburg is 6-5 195..

Last edited:
sounds like a national championship is on the way. The WR group does sound promising. Still hard to believe Frost somehow convinced so much WR talent to come to NEB when his offense is one of the worst passing offenses in the league. That just tells you how good a recruiter he is.
The #! juco WR and the #1 transfer WR in back to back years to a school with dreadful passing numbers and a running QB? Frost is pretty slick or those 2 recruits are brain dead

I loved reading your post. It gave me a chuckle. You tell us you're not going to blow smoke up our butt, and then in the same sentence, not even the next sentence, you literally blow smoke up our butt. That was funny.
The best was when you were talking about Betts. You say he hasn't reached his ceiling, but his talent level is on par with, drum roll, please, Alonzo Moore. What!? You can't be serious!! Luckily, you weren't. Thank you for injecting humor in my life. By the way, when you're finding out more stuff, ask them ,"Do they feel guilty receiving recognition even though they haven't been relevant for years?"

I think you're misreading the comments about Betts and Alonzo Moore. In a sense, they were comparing Betts right now, as a Freshman, to Alonzo Moore in year 3 or 4. The comments also acknowledged he's nowhere near his ceiling.

I’d say he’s pretty explosive.

That is impressive but lets see something on the actual field and I might consider pouring a glass of Kool-Aid. Until then...it is just a nice video.

The only object I want to see him jumping/running over is something called the goal line. Winking

421591580d7e4827431c7f14d8784ea0.jpg

Last edited:
I just thought he was impressive coming in late and being able to get on the field and make the plays he did. IF I recall correctly, he caught pretty much everything in his catch radius and showed some good speed to go with decent size. He appears to have been a nice pick up for us. I don't know that he's a game breaker but at this point we just need a WR who can run good routes, catch the ball and maybe outrun a safety.
Couldn’t agree more !

That is impressive but lets see something on the actual field and I might consider pouring a glass of Kool-Aid. Until then...it is just a nice video.

The only object I want to see him jumping over is something called the goal line. Winking

421591580d7e4827431c7f14d8784ea0.jpg
Why would he jump over the goal line? Can't he just run over it? Will it reach out and try to trip him?

We would have gone undefeated next season if we would have been able to duck out of the OU game!!
200.gif
No but we would likely have had one more W towards bowl eligibility and 5-8 million more in the AD bank account when it was all said and done. Concessions in and around the stadium are a HUGE deal in addition to a gate of over 4.5 million. Concessions are said to generate more than the gate. People bitched about a 4 million buyout to a coach. We generated twice that much for one home game.

No but we would likely have had one more W towards bowl eligibility and 5-8 million more in the AD bank account when it was all said and done. Concessions in and around the stadium are a HUGE deal in addition to a gate of over 4.5 million. Concessions are said to generate more than the gate. People bitched about a 4 million buyout to a coach. We generated twice that much for one home game.
Then don’t schedule Home and homes with Oklahoma To begin with. If Nebraska needs a specific number of home games every year then schedule that many number of home games and stop trying to play these marquee matchup’s. At least at that point you’re not being made fun of by the national media for trying to back out of a game with Oklahoma.

We have had a real long drought of having many, if any, really high end athletes/prospect and have flat out busted on the couple we have gotten over last 10 years which leads to skepticism and rightfully so. This is safer for us if things don't work out but likely a bit misplaced with some of these offensive players.

Found the Fidone comments to be most interesting. I have always thought of him as a WR first who is strong enough to Flex-In and be an effective blocker at the LOS, particularly as he develops physically. He is absolutely an elite athlete at that size and appears to be a very productive football player based on his highschool performance and limited film. I don't think it is Kool-Aid drinking to believe a player with his apparent athleticism and ability to play the game will get as many overall targets as Robinson did as a Freshman given he has Spring and Fall camp to get acclimated and appears to be just a natural football player like Robinson. A guy at that size and physicality can absolutely be a game changer for a QB as we saw with Morgan in 2018. If no one is open you threw the ball to Morgan anyways and let him go get it.

Manning is a key example of why teams shy away from 2 for 2 Jucos if they can. Large dude who is an absolute great athlete and a highly productive receiver in Juco. This guy absolutely fits the bill as a top end recruit. Despite that, he was in Juco for a reason. So many things have to go right right academically, health wise and and at practice to get a first year Juco into rotation as a productive player at this level, otherwise you are down to 1 year of eligibility. Things didn't go perfect and due to many factors, he simply was able to contribute forcing coaches to play guys like Warner who have no business starting for a Big Ten team. Actually got quite lucky on this one because of Covid. If he doesn't turn out to be an obvious draftable player we will still get two year of participation in what is probably make or break years for this staff. Between him and Fidone I expect we will have that physical presense on the perimiter we have been unable to replace since Morgan left for next couple of years.

Betts prediction seems safe and solid and what I would expect. Legitimate top 100 kid that will continue to develop and the ceiling is very high as Jr. and Sr. In meantime should be very productive player in 2021.

There are a number of very talented young players, particularly on the Oline and at WR. If you offered me the personnel on the 2018 team (finished nbr 2 YPG in big ten) as known quantity I would still take this group in a heart beat as I believe there are 4-5 future pros that will be part of the offensive rotation and as that line continue to gel they will be able to move the ball on anybody they play. Certainly not to OSU or former husker standards, but this will be Frosts best offensive team and night and day better than what we have been trotting out on offense for a long time.

Then don’t schedule Home and homes with Oklahoma To begin with. If Nebraska needs a specific number of home games every year then schedule that many number of home games and stop trying to play these marquee matchup’s. At least at that point you’re not being made fun of by the national media for trying to back out of a game with Oklahoma.
Moos didn't schedule it. The guy who scheduled it was a little too nostalgic about that long gone rivalry.

I agree with most but Fidone vs Carter? No way. Fidone is a way better athlete. Longer for sure. Carter was more of a FB/TE out of HS. Fidone is closer to a receiver.

Reactions: ATX Husker

I think you're glossing over some history.

1. The OU game was scheduled 9 years ago, and at that time, Big Ten teams were not playing nine game conference schedules. Hell, Maryland and Rutgers were not in the league, and the league wasn't scheduling Big Ten games in week one. You have to imagine Nebraska absolutely believed they would be able to schedule 3 Non con home games in September.

2. The Illinois game getting moved to Ireland was decided in 2018. So Nebraska agreed it was best to play that game in Week 0 and then give their jet lagged team a bye the following week. Nebraska still believed they could have a non con home games on the 11th, and then a league home game on the 25th.

3. At the time, the loss of revenue wasn't a big deal as nobody envisioned the pre Covid world.

4. Then after a full season of no attendance and a substantial budget shortfall, the Big Ten retools the 2020 AND the 2021 schedules. This means Nebraska is NO longer playing a home game on September 25th. So all of the sudden, Nebraska becomes the only team in the Power 5 to play less than 2 home games in September 2021.

Moos's idiotic mistake was thinking he could avoid back lash for trying to get out of the Oklahoma game. From day one, he should've been working on filling the September 4th date instead of trying to get out of the OU trip.

No one has a crystal ball what things would be like 9 years ago when the series was agreed too..

We had TO as the AD and then had a lawyer pretending to play AD asking another opponent we would play every year who to hire as Head Coach and the down fall begins in 2015...

Good God you all all full of excuses. Maryland and Rutgers have been in the league several years now. Moos has been the AD going on 4 years. He has had plenty of time to evaluate the number of home games needed to get the required revenue. If all 3 non conference games need to be home games then stop setting up home and home series with Cincinnati, Tennessee, Oklahoma St, Arizona and another against OU. Get the Akron, Georgia Southern, northern Illinois etc, give them their pay day and be done with it.

No one knows how good Arizona or Tennessee will be when this games are played, what if they are awesome and we still suck? Attempt to weasel out again.

the fact remains, Moos has had ample time to evaluate the financial needs at Nebraska and adjust the schedule Even if you want to throw Covid in there, he has known for almost a year that they weren’t going to have a full revenue year in 2020 and even 2021. If you want to get out of the OU series, doing it in Sept 2020 looks better than March 2021.
I think Moos thought this team was going to be better than it is. Now that it hasn’t turned the corner, as expected, he was looking for an out.
a home game vs OU in 2022 will bring in more fans to Lincoln than any other game on the schedule. The hotels will be full and the bars will be overflowing, even during the game.

Spring ball hype: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, four times, five times, six times, call me a Husker fan.

I think there are differences between spring game "Hype" and legitimate expectations for players based on there athletic abilities, national recruiting hype and past performance.

The Toure as Kenny Bell with muscles is typical spring game fluff we should be massively skeptical about even if he has some flashy plays against some third string DB's in spring game. Not to say it couldn't happen but typically a guy like this will end of being a solid part of rotation with 20-25 catches and not Kenny Bell with muscles.

If some 5.5 rated player or walkon with not much else in legitimate offers or expectations has some flashy plays there will be yahoos' on here proclaimining them the next best thing we know that almost never translate at all to the season and is the typical fluff we seen the last ten years were we need some diamond in the ruff to save the season.

If recruits like Fidone (Top 100, 31), Betts (Rivals Top 100, 61) and Manning (Rivals #2, 1 Juco WR) are in the rotation with the top units this spring, are highly integrated into game plan and look the part, I will feel a whole lot different. The physical part is really not question as to getting these guys on the field and guys like Warner off it. If they show they can operate in the offense, then I think expectations (hype) are warranted.

I truly believe we are in a bit of unchartered territory though as we have not had a spring game with three players (Betts, Fidone & Manning) of this level that we have seen so little of and expect to play large roles for the team. If any one or a couple of those guys know the offense and make plays in the spring my expectations for 2021 will continue to rise offensively as I am 100% sold the floor on the o-line is the 2018 group which was a large part of the success Frost and Martinez had that season offensively.

Good God you all all full of excuses. Maryland and Rutgers have been in the league several years now. Moos has been the AD going on 4 years. He has had plenty of time to evaluate the number of home games needed to get the required revenue. If all 3 non conference games need to be home games then stop setting up home and home series with Cincinnati, Tennessee, Oklahoma St, Arizona and another against OU. Get the Akron, Georgia Southern, northern Illinois etc, give them their pay day and be done with it.

No one knows how good Arizona or Tennessee will be when this games are played, what if they are awesome and we still suck? Attempt to weasel out again.

the fact remains, Moos has had ample time to evaluate the financial needs at Nebraska and adjust the schedule Even if you want to throw Covid in there, he has known for almost a year that they weren’t going to have a full revenue year in 2020 and even 2021. If you want to get out of the OU series, doing it in Sept 2020 looks better than March 2021.
I think Moos thought this team was going to be better than it is. Now that it hasn’t turned the corner, as expected, he was looking for an out.
a home game vs OU in 2022 will bring in more fans to Lincoln than any other game on the schedule. The hotels will be full and the bars will be overflowing, even during the game.
There's no way Moos could have predicted our situation even a year ago let alone 3-4 years ago after Rutgers and Maryland joined the B!G. From my perspective (a business man's) you have to be flexible and willing to make change necessitated by economic conditions NOW not based on decisions 3,4 or 9 years ago. IMO, Moos is getting roasted unfairly for honestly evaluating our current financial situation and looking at all options to try to make a sound management decision regarding both our W/L prospects AND our financial position. THERE IS A REASON THERE WAS AN ESCAPE CLAUSE IN THE CONTRACT. That said, OU F'd us over once a gain by leaking the information that NU was CONSIDERING opting out of the game this fall. Make no misake, OU's motives are NOT nostalgia for that game that THEY LOST. Their motives are to get a win over a B1G opponent on their resume to try to get in to the playoff. Screw OU.

There's no way Moos could have predicted our situation even a year ago let alone 3-4 years ago after Rutgers and Maryland joined the B!G. From my perspective (a business man's) you have to be flexible and willing to make change necessitated by economic conditions NOW not based on decisions 3,4 or 9 years ago. IMO, Moos is getting roasted unfairly for honestly evaluating our current financial situation and looking at all options to try to make a sound management decision regarding both our W/L prospects AND our financial position. THERE IS A REASON THERE WAS AN ESCAPE CLAUSE IN THE CONTRACT. That said, OU F'd us over once a gain by leaking the information that NU was CONSIDERING opting out of the game this fall. Make no misake, OU's motives are NOT nostalgia for that game that THEY LOST. Their motives are to get a win over a B1G opponent on their resume to try to get in to the playoff. Screw OU.

how many BIG teams have 8 home games?? -- only Wisconsin
there are several BIG teams with just 6 home games
OU and Iowa State only have 6

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I think there are differences between spring game "Hype" and legitimate expectations for players based on there athletic abilities, national recruiting hype and past performance.

The Toure as Kenny Bell with muscles is typical spring game fluff we should be massively skeptical about even if he has some flashy plays against some third string DB's in spring game. Not to say it couldn't happen but typically a guy like this will end of being a solid part of rotation with 20-25 catches and not Kenny Bell with muscles.

If some 5.5 rated player or walkon with not much else in legitimate offers or expectations has some flashy plays there will be yahoos' on here proclaimining them the next best thing we know that almost never translate at all to the season and is the typical fluff we seen the last ten years were we need some diamond in the ruff to save the season.

If recruits like Fidone (Top 100, 31), Betts (Rivals Top 100, 61) and Manning (Rivals #2, 1 Juco WR) are in the rotation with the top units this spring, are highly integrated into game plan and look the part, I will feel a whole lot different. The physical part is really not question as to getting these guys on the field and guys like Warner off it. If they show they can operate in the offense, then I think expectations (hype) are warranted.

I truly believe we are in a bit of unchartered territory though as we have not had a spring game with three players (Betts, Fidone & Manning) of this level that we have seen so little of and expect to play large roles for the team. If any one or a couple of those guys know the offense and make plays in the spring my expectations for 2021 will continue to rise offensively as I am 100% sold the floor on the o-line is the 2018 group which was a large part of the success Frost and Martinez had that season offensively.

I think you are seriously underestimating how good Toure is. He was a huge pickup for us.

In 2011 The Big Ten announced they would go to nine conference games per season. At that time, anyone with a brain and the ability to subtract five from 12 was able to determine that there would be only seven home games max every other year. If Nebraska needed 8 home games to make ends meet then they should not enter into agreements to play home and home football games.
In 2012, One year after the Big Ten announced they would be going to a 9 game conference schedule beginning in 2017, Nebraska entered into an agreement with Oklahoma to play home and home games in 2021 and 2022. Then again in 2017, the doubled down and set up another home and home.
Again when Moos took the job as AD, all of those rules and schedules were already in place.
And as I have written multiple times, in September 2020, when he was told there was going to be no fans and only conference games for 2020, that is when you get with Oklahoma and attempt to reschedule or get out of the deal. At that time, money issues could have been used as a logical explanation.
Attempting to do it now, after another losing season, it looks like you’re scared. That doesn’t even take into consideration the fact that Old Dominion and the MAC schools contacted went public with being contacted, then OU went public.
Everything Moos does appears to be reactionary.

Reactions: Smokinthereiff
I think you are seriously underestimating how good Toure is. He was a huge pickup for us.
hope so! but, we'll see.

he'll not have taken a live game rep since 2019, and never in his life vs D-1 talent, when he suits up this fall.

In 2011 The Big Ten announced they would go to nine conference games per season. At that time, anyone with a brain and the ability to subtract five from 12 was able to determine that there would be only seven home games max every other year. If Nebraska needed 8 home games to make ends meet then they should not enter into agreements to play home and home football games.
In 2012, One year after the Big Ten announced they would be going to a 9 game conference schedule beginning in 2017, Nebraska entered into an agreement with Oklahoma to play home and home games in 2021 and 2022. Then again in 2017, the doubled down and set up another home and home.
Again when Moos took the job as AD, all of those rules and schedules were already in place.
And as I have written multiple times, in September 2020, when he was told there was going to be no fans and only conference games for 2020, that is when you get with Oklahoma and attempt to reschedule or get out of the deal. At that time, money issues could have been used as a logical explanation.
Attempting to do it now, after another losing season, it looks like you’re scared. That doesn’t even take into consideration the fact that Old Dominion and the MAC schools contacted went public with being contacted, then OU went public.
Everything Moos does appears to be reactionary.
who was our AD that scheduled OU? Blame him. Not Moos. You're accusing people of making excuses for Moos. To the contrary I think he was doing what any smart AD/business man should be doing.

who was our AD that scheduled OU? Blame him. Not Moos. You're accusing people of making excuses for Moos. To the contrary I think he was doing what any smart AD/business man should be doing.
I applaud TO for scheduling that series. it's awesome, and will likely be 1 of 2 times NU is in the national spotlight next year (because we suck).

has Moos scheduled any home/homes since he's been AD?

if Moos ran a lemonade stand, he'd have folded up the table by now for mistaking sugar for salt over and over.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

whatever. Moos is the AD now. His mess to fix.
Number 1 thing for him to realize is that he isn’t at Washington St anymore and when you do weaselly shit people take notice.

Reactions: huntered
I’m just glad they actually get to do a spring camp this offseason. Missing all those practices and spring game last season only hurt development for the young players or 1st year guys (like transfers and JUCOs).
I am hopeful that missing all of the spring, summer workouts and fall camp is a good explanation for the lack of execution for our offense. Heaven knows our WRs and QBs really could have used more work together. We're going to be relying heavily on offense this fall I THINK on some guys who have never been through spring football until this year.

I applaud TO for scheduling that series. it's awesome, and will likely be 1 of 2 times NU is in the national spotlight next year (because we suck).

if Moos ran a lemonade stand, he'd have folded up the table by now for mistaking sugar for salt over and over.

I believe he set up the Arizona and Oklahoma St games.

Screw OU. Hate em. Hate that they continue to screw over NU. F'n hillbillies. Don't care if we ever play them again.

I am hopeful that missing all of the spring, summer workouts and fall camp is a good explanation for the lack of execution for our offense. Heaven knows our WRs and QBs really could have used more work together. We're going to be relying heavily on offense this fall I THINK on some guys who have never been through spring football until this year.
2019 - phantom pre-season injury to QB caused horrific offense
2020 - having the same amount of practices as everyone else caused horrific offense
2021 - spin the excuse wheel!

Screw OU. Hate em. Hate that they continue to screw over NU. F'n hillbillies. Don't care if we ever play them again.

I’m honestly with you on that. I’d rather play some teams we rarely play like Notre Dame, Florida, teams like that....

whatever. Moos is the AD now. His mess to fix.
Number 1 thing for him to realize is that he isn’t at Washington St anymore and when you do weaselly shit people take notice.
There is nothing "weaselly" about looking at options to improve your athletic department's financial situation after you've been forced to lay off people and delay projects. Leave the almost certain L out of going to Norman. We're talking about 5-8 million more revenue for the athletic department IF we were to use the escape clause in the contract with OU and schedule a home game with Podunk U. OU is only bitching because they know they would have trouble finding a different patsy D-1 team to come in an pad their playoff resume. All you people bitching are completely ignoring where we're at as a program RIGHT NOW. Not 50 years ago. Not 9 years ago. Hell not ONE year ago.

2020 - having the same amount of practices as everyone else caused horrific offense
There's a thin line between excuses and reasons. Failing to recognize variables leading to performance whether it's in football or business makes for faulty evaluation of data.

its HUGE deal when your offense is relying on that many freshmen and first year players. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out. Now, I won’t sit here and claim Frost and the staff have been perfect, we all know they need to get their shit together too but it would have helped a lot to get those extra practices when new players are trying to and needing to learn the offense. There is a reason why most teams that relied on that many young players struggled during the pandemic season.

Edited: next season, I’m with you. There is no excuse for not producing and putting a better product on the field. No more excuses and no more BS. If they don’t put it together this season, then it’s time to start thinking about another option at HC. You won’t see many if any making excuses. If he and our team sucks, most fans will turn on him (the ones that haven’t yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Fairly optimistic person and he has good stats at that Level.

That being said, to believe an FCS player will be anything more than a basic contributor for receiving rotation is a see it to believe it for me.

There is nothing "weaselly" about looking at options to improve your athletic department's financial situation after you've been forced to lay off people and delay projects. Leave the almost certain L out of going to Norman. We're talking about 5-8 million more revenue for the athletic department IF we were to use the escape clause in the contract with OU and schedule a home game with Podunk U. OU is only bitching because they know they would have trouble finding a different patsy D-1 team to come in an pad their playoff resume. All you people bitching are completely ignoring where we're at as a program RIGHT NOW. Not 50 years ago. Not 9 years ago. Hell not ONE year ago.

the weaselly thing was how it was handled. There was no indication that Castiglione was contacted about getting out of the deal. He appears to have found out when reports circulated that Nebraska was looking to get out of the game. So he send a message that he believes the game will go on as scheduled. Handle it above board and not back door and he probably doesn’t leak that message you seem so pissed about.

There's a thin line between excuses and reasons. Failing to recognize variables leading to performance whether it's in football or business makes for faulty evaluation of data.
I agree.

Very interested to see what the ‘reasons’ are for this year’s inevitable failures on offense, and whether everyone’s ‘evaluations’ of Frost/AM continue to be ‘faulty’ or if they just both are flat out incapable, as their record to date points to.

I agree.

Very interested to see what the ‘reasons’ are for this year’s inevitable failures on offense, and whether everyone’s ‘evaluations’ of Frost/AM continue to be ‘faulty’ or if they just both are flat out incapable, as their record to date points to.

there are no excuses for next season. If they suck and blow it again, he will lose most fans that still back him (myself included) and rightfully so. They have no reason to struggle next season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT