ADVERTISEMENT

Some Early Season Grades

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Offense
QB - (B) Outside of Illinois game, Adrian has played well, but the OU game is where we need his good play. Can't just continue to rack up yards against lesser teams or in times that don't matter. He gets a chance to redeem himself a little bit this weekend.

RB - (D+) I know a lot of this has to do with our Oline play, but we seem to have some talent, but these guys seem to have really bad vision. It looked a little better in the 2nd half, but needs to pick up.

TE - (C+) Injuries have hurt and there has been some glimmers, but I still feel like these guys could be utilized more. Our guy is 6'8, try to get him the ball

WR - (B-) Toure has looked great and is consistent, but need another one to step up and also for us to stay healthy. Martin looked good early and I think there is some potential. Glad Betts got a jet sweep.

OL - (F) These guys have played awful and I really think they have the talent. I don't know if it is an Austin think, but good god. Something has to give.

Overall: I believe we are in the Top 25 in Overall offense which is kind of surprising when you look at the groups individually, but need to keep getting better. I think the play calling has improved and we seem to be showing a little progress.

Defense
DL - (B) Have been pretty stout up front, but still lack the pass rush which is sort of mind boggling because we seem to be getting a lot of TFL's in the run game, but outside of Illinois just aren't getting home

LB - (C) Started slow, but last week was pretty decent. Reimer balled out and I think you have seen some progress with Nelson, Tannor, etc.. As with the DL, need to figure out how to get home on blitzes and rushing the passer, not just running into their line

Secondary - (B) Have done a decent job against the run and doing alright against the pass, just need to really get it going as competition increases.

Overall: If they keep it up, they will keep us in a number of games this year and if we could get a pass rush, they could probably help us win a few games. Credit Chins as they have consistently improved every year under him and it is refreshing to not have to bitch about the D all of the time. They still have some issues, but definitely have improved.

Special Teams - (D) Their have been a few improvements as we are getting the ball through the endzone on touchbacks and not making stupid returns that have us starting drives at the 15, but good lord, our Punt Return team is awful our punting game is better, but still not great and didn't think I would see it coming that Culp has the shanks.....

ADVERTISEMENT