ADVERTISEMENT

Solich, Pelini, Miles ...

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
TO has taken some heat in his post coaching time for those hires. Could you imagine a scenario where TO would advise Frost to look elsewhere for a head coaching position?

TO has taken some heat in his post coaching time for those hires. Could you imagine a scenario where TO would advise Frost to look elsewhere for a head coaching position?

Unfortunately that thought has crossed my mind.

Reactions: TheNewNU
And some would be fine with it because he was a great coach for us and all......

Reactions: jeans15
Tom Osborne still cares about his legacy here. It must be killing him to see the program he and Devaney built reduced to ruins. He would LOVE to see one of "his boys" return to coach this team back to greatness. If Frost is successful=the final vindication and last laugh of TO

TO hires have a roughly 20% higher win total over non TO hires. I would say Nebraska has failed miserably trying to go it alone on the coaching hires. I imagine TO has at least a small part in Frost coming here, and I believe his track record of finding 70% plus win coaches will remain intact. Hopefully our fan base doesn’t get greedy again and fire these successful coaches that are hand delivered by Osborne. Like Moos said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Hopefully our fan base doesn’t get greedy again and fire these successful coaches that are hand delivered by Osborne. Like Moos said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

I would hardly call Frank Solich or Bo Pelini "successful" head coaches. They were passable, that's it. Winning nine games a year, but losing badly to every ranked team you play, hardly makes you successful. Like saying someone just keeping their face above the water is a good swimmer. Not dying is hardly something to applaud.

I would hardly call Frank Solich or Bo Pelini "successful" head coaches. They were passable, that's it. Winning nine games a year, but losing badly to every ranked team you play, hardly makes you successful. Like saying someone just keeping their face above the water is a good swimmer. Not dying is hardly something to applaud.
Solich was successful.
Doesn't matter I suppose.

TO hires have a roughly 20% higher win total over non TO hires. I would say Nebraska has failed miserably trying to go it alone on the coaching hires. I imagine TO has at least a small part in Frost coming here, and I believe his track record of finding 70% plus win coaches will remain intact. Hopefully our fan base doesn’t get greedy again and fire these successful coaches that are hand delivered by Osborne. Like Moos said, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Frost doesn't have Pelinis attitude so I guess Frost wouldn't have anything to worry about

Moos has said he has met with Osborne multiple times.
I think Osborne is playing a big part bringing Frost back.

Due to several demographic factors the Huskers are a team under intense scrutiny by the entire state or said another way who else is there to cheer for? This intense environment contributes to the HC difficulties.

Pelini also beat ranked teams. Let's not let facts get in the way. Especially in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

The entire Nebraska program was built by “tolerating” the type of seasons solich and Pelini had until they were able to get over the hump. Nebraska has two examples of what happens when you fire coaches who win more than the majority of coaches in major college football and it’s not pretty. One can only hope we’ve learned our lesson by now.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
The entire Nebraska program was built by “tolerating” the type of seasons solich and Pelini had until they were able to get over the hump. Nebraska has two examples of what happens when you fire coaches who win more than the majority of coaches in major college football and it’s not pretty. One can only hope we’ve learned our lesson by now.

Can you please explain to me why no other power 5 program would touch either Solich or Pelini with a ten foot pole after Nebraska made the supposed horrendous decision to fire them?

Can you please explain to me why no other power 5 program would touch either Solich or Pelini with a ten foot pole after Nebraska made the supposed horrendous decision to fire them?

Has Nebraska been able to attract any coaches that other power 5 teams want after firing these guys? Doesn’t really make sense to fire proven 70% plus win guys and replace them with proven failures. The fact that other teams didn’t want them shouldn’t be justification for firing them when the team became much worse after their departure. Again, don’t fix what isn’t broken. Pelini did become toxic at the end, but we should’ve hired frost back then (for much cheaper).

Better question and related to this thread.. would Scott Frost if hired by NU be the first coach since TO retired that actually taps into his relationship with TO and uses it to better the program?

You can't be fvcking serious with this take! I won't disagree with you about Callahan and Riley eras being huge failures. But to call Solich and Pelini successes, give me a break! 13 years coaching at Nebraska combined, 1 conference title and I don't count the one National Championship appearance. Because any honest, respectable fan of Nebraska wouldn't claim that title game. Because an honest person knows we didn't deserve it and had no business being there. And don't even get me started on the total beat downs that both coaches took in big games against real opponents. WE LOST 70-31 TO A 7-5 TEAM IN THE B1G CCG!!!! THEY FINISHED THIRD IN THE EAST AND ONLY GOT TO PLAY BECAUSE OSU & PSU, WHO FINISHED 1ST & 2ND, WERE INELIGIBLE TO PLAY IN THE CCG!!!!

Now you can bitch and moan until you are blue in the face about Callahan and Riley being failures, but accepting the slightly above average results of Solich and Pelini is no better than accepting mediocrity. So get off your knees and stop worshiping at the TO altar. He was a great coach who unfortunately saddled us with 2 coaches who could not win the big games or recruit at the level that we needed to compete for championships.

Hey genius....

1. Bo also won 10 games three times at NU.

2. Bo was 9 - 14 vs top 25 ranked teams. Hardly losing badly to every ranked team he played. Anything else you want to dream up?

I'm sure a true-blue rocket scientist like you already knows this but here's some other examples.....

a. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina 18-23

b Kirk Ferentz, Iowa 19-34

c. Bill Snyder, Kansas State 23-43

d. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech 43-50-1

I could go on forever....but enough. I guess those coaches, like Bo, somehow kept their faces above water?

3. Bo never lost more than 4 games for his seven years at NU. Zero losing seasons.

Anyways, true enough that Bo didn't hack it here. But he was wayyyyyyyyy, way better than Clownahan & MR. Get a calculator and check it out. You'll be surprised.

Unfortunately that thought has crossed my mind.
giphy.gif

Am I the only person that thinks we'd be playing national championship level football for awhile now had we never fired Callahan and he canned Cosgrove and brought in a real DC?

I don't think any of the hires were bad at the time. Tim Miles should have been fired at least 2 years ago. It's obvious his success was due to the assistant coach he brought with him. Tim Miles is all on Eichorst

I don't think any of the hires were bad at the time. Tim Miles should have been fired at least 2 years ago. It's obvious his success was due to the assistant coach he brought with him. Tim Miles is all on Eichorst
Craig Smith made that tournament team go. The same way Childress made things go on the baseball diamond after Van Horn left. Those assistants leave? So does our success

Has Nebraska been able to attract any coaches that other power 5 teams want after firing these guys? Doesn’t really make sense to fire proven 70% plus win guys and replace them with proven failures. The fact that other teams didn’t want them shouldn’t be justification for firing them when the team became much worse after their departure. Again, don’t fix what isn’t broken. Pelini did become toxic at the end, but we should’ve hired frost back then (for much cheaper).

If Nick Saban retired after this season and his replacement had 3-4 good years with the current players but in year 6 went .500 and then the next year made a bunch of changes but was still blown out by any team with a pulse would you call them a great coach?

I would not.

I don't care what else is going on or what assistants aren't doing what or anything else. You take Bama from where they have been under Saban to .500 in half a decade and you suck at your job.

That is Frank Solich.

Reactions: jimbosc
Absolutely. T.O. himself twice considered taking the Texas Tech job before committing to HC at NU. In his own words, he wanted a program where he could make his own mark and not have to follow in Devaney's footsteps. In the end, he stayed, but I can certainly imagine him telling Scott to go with his gut.

Please list all job offers Bo Pelini has received in the last three years. Thanks.

To be fair, I think most of that has to do with the way he left and his personality issues rather than coaching ability.

Tom had his time and it's over. "Wondering what Tom thinks" is half the reason this program is where it's at right now.
The only thing I find weird is that he triggered the Eichorst and Riley firings (rightfully so, but he did not need to get involved), and now everyone says to leave him alone.
I guess I don't understand why he keeps being involved, and then saying he does not want to be involved. Seems strange, but I guess he has earned that right.

To be fair, I think most of that has to do with the way he left and his personality issues rather than coaching ability.
Of course it does. He has a good football mind, but the personality of a Heifer Cow when you try and doctor her calf.

Absolutely. T.O. himself twice considered taking the Texas Tech job before committing to HC at NU. In his own words, he wanted a program where he could make his own mark and not have to follow in Devaney's footsteps. In the end, he stayed, but I can certainly imagine him telling Scott to go with his gut.
Texas Tech?? Never heard that one...I heard Colorado late 70's and then Michigan State after he retired (before he was really ready to be done.... out of respect to the promise he made to Frank)

More accurately, his winning percentage can't justify dealing with such an unbearable prick.

If Tennessee thought Bo would have them winning SEC championships, they'd hire him a media relations staff and promise he'd never have to do a press conference his entire time there. Unfortunately, losing a conference championship game by 40 points to third-place Wisconsin doesn't make him valuable enough to endure.

Texas Tech?? Never heard that one...I heard Colorado late 70's and then Michigan State after he retired (before he was really ready to be done.... out of respect to the promise he made to Frank)
T.O. did an interview recently called "A Legacy Beyond the Game" where he talks about a lot of things and that is one that struck me.

Look, he hasn't taken "heat". He wasn't fired. He is still revered. Bo was a great hire for three years, as long as TO could support him and "mentor" him. Nobody can tell how the pressure of running a program will affect a man. Bo can be a good man, but the pressure of the job, losing his mentor and stability, and having it replaced with a creep like Eichorst, who cut the juco routes and other routes to creative recruiting made Bo feel he was set up to fail. And he was after the Texas A&m game. Our academic standards only increased after 2011, which made recruiting more difficult. At the same time Bo had lost his most trusted assistants and wasn't afforded the resources to go really big. And I hate Bo, dropped my season tickets, haven't watched a game all the way through for years. But Bo was a great hire. And we were on the cusp of reaching high levels of success. Same thing goes for Miles, good hire, but patience is necessary at NU. Making the NCAA tourney every few years is a good goal, not every year.

ADVERTISEMENT