ADVERTISEMENT

So Who's Ready for Mickey to be HC??

So my question to you - Do you really believe the story is accurate? Do you believe Trev is that ignorant as to what is going on across the country that he would jeopardize Nebraska's chances? Do you think he does this on his own without consult HIS bosses? I do not, but it gives people something to complain about.

To be clear, nearly every coach receives incentives for various team achievements.
It is why started my post with “If”

I will reserve judgement until I see who is hired and the contract specifics

does Trev expect this program to be top 3-4 in the conference on a consistent basis or just a middling west division team - we will see where the contract slots

as for Trevs bosses, it is his job to convince his bosses what is best for the program and proceed accordingly - something he allegedly failed to do at the end of 2021 with regards to getting rid of frost - and if he is ineffective at this task then it is his job to take the heat for these decisions

I’m ready.

I think it’s worth a shot with a revamped staff.

GBR
MJ has to win 4 of the last 5 for me to support hiring him as HC. If he works that miracle hire him, if not, get an experienced P5 coach who can build a program.

• Wow
Reactions: OAHU-SKER
This weekend is huge for the perception of Mickey Joseph.

lose big and it’s a bad loss. lose close to a better team, and you’ve accomplished what Frost did all through 2021. Win close, and you’re a hero.

I don’t view this as playing Illinois as much as it feels like we’re playing another Bielema team that ran all over Pelini. A win here would all but guarantee it’s MJ’s job to lose
Agree with what you say, but you forgot win big. What then, elect him governor?

According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.
I don't like the angle of the story. It is written in a way as to suggest that there is some sort of problem at Nebraska with regard to money, and I don't believe that to be even remotely accurate.

They are probably watching the dollars in regard to the stadium upgrades, but there is nothing that gives me the impression they are in any sort of trouble and couldn't offer big bucks for someone if they wanted to.

If it were me, I would have written the story with a different angle, one that attempts to frame Trev in a different light. One that shows him as a leader and rewriting the storylines. First by firing early in the season, which certainly isn't the norm, but Trev did it, and a flury of others soon followed suit.

Next, Trev offering incentive based contracts, as Nebraska has probably paid out more in coaching salaries over the past 20 years than any other div 1 program in the country. And when all this does get finalized, you are going to see a whole flury of other teams also follow suit.

It doesn't mean the landscape will forever stay like this, but I think Trev is a leader and others will follow his example.

If his approach is successful for Nebraska, you will see another wave of University management also follow Nebraska's lead in 2023.

I have believed all along that MJ will be offered the position, just because it makes more sense to hire from within, and you do that by hiring head coaches that are not afraid to bring in the very best assistants possible. And from this model, you never have to search outside the program first, you get to keep a sense of continuity and if changes do need to be made, it doesn't undermine everything else you have been doing up to that point.

I fully expect this to also filter down to staff salaries.. maybe not as quickly, but I believe it will, to attract the best assistant coaches out there.

Trev has an enormous rolodex of relationships and contacts.. to paint this like he is having trouble, is a big disservice to what he is doing in my opinion.

I fully support Trev Alberts and how he is leading Nebraska Athletics and providing an example for other Universities to follow. This is how Nebraska used to lead, and it's refreshing to see this kind of leadership once again.

This weekend is huge for the perception of Mickey Joseph.

lose big and it’s a bad loss. lose close to a better team, and you’ve accomplished what Frost did all through 2021. Win close, and you’re a hero.

I don’t view this as playing Illinois as much as it feels like we’re playing another Bielema team that ran all over Pelini. A win here would all but guarantee it’s MJ’s job to lose
If that's the case, that would mean that the coaching search is going very poorly.

I don't like the angle of the story. It is written in a way as to suggest that there is some sort of problem at Nebraska with regard to money, and I don't believe that to be even remotely accurate.

They are probably watching the dollars in regard to the stadium upgrades, but there is nothing that gives me the impression they are in any sort of trouble and couldn't offer big bucks for someone if they wanted to.

If it were me, I would have written the story with a different angle, one that attempts to frame Trev in a different light. One that shows him as a leader and rewriting the storylines. First by firing early in the season, which certainly isn't the norm, but Trev did it, and a flury of others soon followed suit.

Next, Trev offering incentive based contracts, as Nebraska has probably paid out more in coaching salaries over the past 20 years than any other div 1 program in the country. And when all this does get finalized, you are going to see a whole flury of other teams also follow suit.

It doesn't mean the landscape will forever stay like this, but I think Trev is a leader and others will follow his example.

If his approach is successful for Nebraska, you will see another wave of University management also follow Nebraska's lead in 2023.

I have believed all along that MJ will be offered the position, just because it makes more sense to hire from within, and you do that by hiring head coaches that are not afraid to bring in the very best assistants possible. And from this model, you never have to search outside the program first, you get to keep a sense of continuity and if changes do need to be made, it doesn't undermine everything else you have been doing up to that point.

I fully expect this to also filter down to staff salaries.. maybe not as quickly, but I believe it will, to attract the best assistant coaches out there.

Trev has an enormous rolodex of relationships and contacts.. to paint this like he is having trouble, is a big disservice to what he is doing in my opinion.

I fully support Trev Alberts and how he is leading Nebraska Athletics and providing an example for other Universities to follow. This is how Nebraska used to lead, and it's refreshing to see this kind of leadership once again.
If Nebraska is the catalyst for future contracts being incentive based essentially screwing coaches and agents out of guaranteed money they will become a pariah amongst those clients - good luck with future hires

then you will have only the select programs that are serious about winning offering guaranteed money

terrible look when profits are skyrocketing and you decide to get cheap

Last edited:
Reactions: Lincoln100
He’s been a HC at smaller black colleges and associate head coach at multiple colleges including lsu. He’s just never been a hc at a major college.
Which would eliminate him if he didn’t play here. Like I said, I’m fine if they hire him… but maybe pump the brakes a bit. Seems like a lot of people are setting themselves up for heartache

If Nebraska is the catalyst for future contracts being incentive based essentially screwing coaches and agents out of guaranteed money they will become a pariah amongst those clients - good luck with future hires

then you will have only the select programs that are serious about winning offering guaranteed money

terrible look when profits are skyrocketing and you decide to get cheap
you're making an assumption that we're being cheap.. A mix of guaranteed money and incentives for a 9 win team could be massive, depending on the details. We don't know what those details are, and neither did the writer. Assuming we are being cheap is short sighted in my opinion.

you're making an assumption that we're being cheap.. A mix of guaranteed money and incentives for a 9 win team could be massive, depending on the details. We don't know what those details are, and neither did the writer. Assuming we are being cheap is short sighted in my opinion.
So you lose your QB for the season on a freak injury or a cheap shot and end up with 6 wins forfeiting millions from that awesome incentive laden contract

coaches want guaranteed money - if they get fired all those incentives are shit with regards to what the university owes them

the program pulling in over 100 million per year should be assuming the risk in these contracts not the coaches

if you want to pay 7 million per year with the incentive being an extra 5 million if you win the conference or make the playoffs fine

as a coach I’m also listening to anyone and everyone willing to give me my base + near incentives as guaranteed money and jumping ship as soon as I have it

So you lose your QB for the season on a freak injury or a cheap shot and end up with 6 wins forfeiting millions from that awesome incentive laden contract

coaches want guaranteed money - if they get fired all those incentives are shit with regards to what the university owes them

the program pulling in over 100 million per year should be assuming the risk in these contracts not the coaches

if you want to pay 7 million per year with the incentive being an extra 5 million if you win the conference or make the playoffs fine

as a coach I’m also listening to anyone and everyone willing to give me my base + near incentives as guaranteed money and jumping ship as soon as I have it
So don't coach at Nebraska. I think coaching is way overpaid to begin with.

bill-and-ted-true-wisdom.gif

No. It's going to take more than beating those powerhouses Rutgers and Indiana to convince me that MJ is ready for the job.

Agree with what you say, but you forgot win big. What then, elect him governor?
wake up, roll over and go back to sleep!
If that's the case, that would mean that the coaching search is going very poorly.
that’s one way to look at it.

another way of looking at it is that he turned a team that was a doormat to Georgia Southern into a team that beat the #1 defense in the country in a matter of a month with the same players.

But to call beating them "success" GTFOH
I don't like how common this sentiment is. I mean, two of the worse teams when there's literally like 4 or 5 others with the same conference record? That's like a whole THIRD of the conference lol. I give us some credit...

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
But to call beating them "success" GTFOH
Let me guess… We should beat them. Shouldn’t Illinois have beaten Indiana?

And before these two games, weren’t we the worst in the conference? We did, after all, lose to Northwestern, followed by a loss to Georgia Southern.

Some on here want to claim that those supportive of an MJ hire need to open their eyes. Fair enough. But maybe the reverse can also be true. Give credit where credit is due.

And before these two games, weren’t we the worst in the conference? We did, after all, lose to Northwestern, followed by a loss to Georgia Southern.

Some on here want to claim that those supportive of an MJ hire need to open their eyes. Fair enough. But maybe the reverse can also be true. Give credit where credit is due.
2-2 is not success.. I’m rooting for the guy but to call 2-2 “successfully coaching” at Nebraska is comical

I support Mickey, would love to see how NIL could be used to rebuild the O line and recruit. They gave Frost 4 years to continue to fail. Looks like one for Mickey should be considered

According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.
Obviously Priscilla! :Cool:

• Haha

the performance against Purdue wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I think Mickey needs to win at least 2 more games to remove the interim title and even then I think it's a long shot. It would seem that Trev is giving him every chance to stay at the helm but man it's an uphill battle IMO. The deal for me is trust. I trust Trev to make the tough decision on this hire. IMO, that's where we all should be.

I'm fine with giving credit to Mickey for literally pulling a flatlined team off of life support. But doesn't it seem like a LOT of people have jumped directly to "give him the job?" Seems like a giant leap to me. We still have a few more weeks to watch things play out, why not watch the next couple games before becoming convinced that he's the guy? I like what he's done, but in no way does beating Indiana and Rutgers equate to deserving this job. I know this board has at least a dozen more wild swings of opinion ahead of it before this is all over anyway. We lose on Saturday and the narrative on here is going to change a lot.

The point is, this is a shit division, and MJ is following a shit HC. I give MJ credit for not being Frost, but I could do that with about any other coach that would have been put in charge. MJ is a likable guy, has a passion for husker football, and appears to have some recruiting chops, and that's essentially what we know about him. Acting like he's done something really impressive in his time here is silly. It isn't his fault, there are a lot of holes, but the "if it ain't urb, it better be MJ" is way too much. I am still holding on to the hope we are going to bring in a solid hire and that MJ is retained, as I see that as best case scenario.

Regardless of what the article states, IDK if its true or not but I am ok with a coach needing to perform to get paid. I have been in sales my whole adult career and its all incentive based. When we started giving people guaranteed in sales they tend to get lazy. When they have to work for a paycheck they do tend to work harder. Not saying its right or wrong in this case just my experience.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm fine with giving credit to Mickey for literally pulling a flatlined team off of life support. But doesn't it seem like a LOT of people have jumped directly to "give him the job?" Seems like a giant leap to me. We still have a few more weeks to watch things play out, why not watch the next couple games before becoming convinced that he's the guy? I like what he's done, but in no way does beating Indiana and Rutgers equate to deserving this job. I know this board has at least a dozen more wild swings of opinion ahead of it before this is all over anyway. We lose on Saturday and the narrative on here is going to change a lot.
Agree, except with the very last part. Feels like the MJ supporters have already made up their minds

There is not a coach on this planet that is going to turn the Nebraska program into it's former self immediately. Mickey Joseph has had head start already so he would be closer to getting this thing fixed than anyone. What Mickey Joseph will do is bring in some smart fast and physical new talent especially from the south something Nebraska desperately needs.

Mickey Joseph is a players type coach who is honest and fair with his players and their families. Now the hard part for Mickey Joseph, holding this team together physically. I think you will see this team try hard for Joseph but in the long run this year this team doesn't have the quickness and physicality to withstand the gauntlet our team is about to go through.

This team will get fixed but it's not going to happen entirely in 2022 it's going to take some time to get rid of old failed habits, time to give Joseph his shot at fixing what ails Nebraska. I don't want the same old retreads that move from school to school and gobble up schools financial resources that can be spent on other needs within the athletic department.

Just my opinion and one I'm sure will not be shared by many and that's O.K. that's what is fun about this board you express your opinions which may or may not be correct but you have the passion to express them. GBR!

Last edited:
Assuming that story is accurate, and I doubt very much it is.....especially the part about incentive laced contracts, that part is just plain false, guaranteed.....

I think the majority of the fanbase would be OK with MJ. Me inc.

I would never, ever, hire somebody based on a skin color either, but the fact is it's downright embarrassing we've not had a black head coach, anywhere. It would be nice the get that moniker off our back at the same time.
How about we just hire the best candidate without worrying about which boxes they check?

What should be more embarrassing (or truthfully, what should be more concerning) is why so many people are hung up on insignificant things like skin color. Just hire the best candidate you can get for the position.

For what it’s worth, I’m a Nebraska fan first. I want what’s best for the program. If that means bringing in someone else, so be it. If that means give the keys to MJ, so be it.

The problem is, I don’t know what the answer is. I hope Trev does. Whatever he decides, time to get behind the new coach. That’s my philosophy, and I think the same as most on here. Only a handful of posters have threatened to ride off into the sunset if MJ is announced, or if BoB is announced, or fill in the blank…

For what it’s worth, I’m a Nebraska fan first. I want what’s best for the program. If that means bringing in someone else, so be it. If that means give the keys to MJ, so be it.

The problem is, I don’t know what the answer is. I hope Trev does. Whatever he decides, time to get behind the new coach. That’s my philosophy, and I think the same as most on here. Only a handful of posters have threatened to ride off into the sunset if MJ is announced, or if BoB is announced, or fill in the blank…
Right there with you, unless it is urb or fleck, then I'm out

I still don't think it will be Mickey. If Mickey is the guy, Trev should have named him permanent coach by now, so that the staff could recruit the rest of this season without any uncertainty. I don't see any reason to wait if he's the guy. He's had a month-long interview already. Either he believes in him by now or not.
When millions of dollars are at stake, you dont rush into things.

In that regard, I think they should have waited to remove Scott until the buyout was reduced by half, but I've never had 7million to burn, so what do I know.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Almost every time a coach takes over a team, with very little exception, that team does not perform very well. The oncoming coach needs time to turn things around. Initial seasons should be met with the expectation that you're seeing a team transformation and they aren't going to be very good.

Why in the world that would be forgotten or simply ignored when watching MJ work with Nebraska is beyond me.

And just to kick that point in the ass and give it more stature, Frost already ate up 3 games, those games should not be held to Mickeys account. And it should be noted that some of the perceived easiest opponents are the ones Frost enjoyed and Mickey was denied in opportunity to showcase his leadership.

The most appealing attributes for MJ right now are:
1. Some semblance of stability- current player buy-in, etc.
2. Recruiting chops
3. Convincing as a hard worker and general likability.

There’s many other things to consider for head coach though that shouldn’t be overlooked. Are MJ’s attributes enough to give him the chance? idk
It’s a tough question for Trev.

I want MJ to succeed but I've not been blown way yet by his head coaching ability. But he has a few more games left to pull off an impressive upset.

Wander if MJ would try to get Coach O on staff if he gets the job
We would need a translator for pressers. That aside, the dude could probably recruit and coach a good Dline. He has more head coaching experience that D coordinating experience.

ADVERTISEMENT