ADVERTISEMENT

So Who's Ready for Mickey to be HC??

According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.
Not me.

One of the many reasons I laugh at these threads where people claim to have some inside info and who the next coach is going to be, is because I think we are in a position where we almost have to let the season play out and see how Mickey does, because can you imagine the embarrassment if we hire somebody after Mickey does a great job and wins a game or four that nobody expected him to, that would just look bad. So I believe we were in a wait and see mode personally and very little movement is happening on the coaching front for now
To be clear, I'm not stating I have inside info or anything like that. Just passing along what I read and was surprised to see come up in my feed.

I'm sure your comment is directed at the author. Just had to clarify that I'm not that guy 😂

Weren't you all for him not too long ago? Maybe I'm missing you for one of the many others?
No. I'm not stupid. If he were to hit it out of the park, it would be hard to give it to someone else. The truth is, we're a bad team, we won't make a bowl game, and I don't believe he will do nearly enough to convince me he's the right guy. He's got some good characteristics but we need proven results.

To be clear, I'm not stating I have inside info or anything like that. Just passing along what I read and was surprised to see come up in my feed.

I'm sure your comment is directed at the author. Just had to clarify that I'm not that guy 😂

You are correct....that was not a shot at you at all. I'm glad you posted it...I was entertained.

I have no information on what will happen but I do feel Joseph can do a good job and bring in the right recruits and transfers to fit in at Nebraska. I also believe Joseph will put together a staff he wants that will finally fit what Nebraska needs most, physically fast smart players.

I have no information on what will happen but I do feel Joseph can do a good job and bring in the right recruits and transfers to fit in at Nebraska. I also believe Joseph will put together a staff he wants that will finally fit what Nebraska needs most, physically fast smart players.
I'm curious what a HCMJ staff would look like...who stays from the current staff...who does he bring in?

One thing I do believe… if MJ is the guy he is going to work his tail off to turn this ship around. Maybe he isn’t the best coach, but hard work can cover a lot of ground, and if he hires quality assistants, we could do ALOT worse than Mickey.

timnsun, extremely well stated sir! We need another Clownahan, Frost & Riley losing machines like another hole in our head. Coaches that did win well for NU like Solich & Pelini of course were fired so more losing machines could be brought in.

You betcha, MJ couldn't possibly be worse than what we've had so let's keep him here NOW and we'll hope for the best.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N and Laner2
There are things on the good side of the ledger for Joseph. He recruits well and has a track record of very good player performance on the field. I think he favors honest communication and that draws the right kind of people to the program. Whether he is managing the affairs of Head Coach well is something people inside Memorial Stadium know. The team as currently constituted is almost completely not of his doing, but Trey Palmer and Casey Thompson are in Lincoln because he is.

Mickey Joseph was handed a near impossible job this year. I don't expect a lot this year, too many holes to plug and it's not his fault. I'm rooting for Joseph to get a chance as the next HC at Nebraska and if he's given that chance l would hope our fans would support him, I know I will.

No. I'm not stupid. If he were to hit it out of the park, it would be hard to give it to someone else. The truth is, we're a bad team, we won't make a bowl game, and I don't believe he will do nearly enough to convince me he's the right guy. He's got some good characteristics but we need proven results.
But yet you’ve been willing to ignore “recruiting results” for Leipold. You wanted to throw a check at LL for what it would take when he started off 5-0. He since lost the last 3 and might not win another game this season. I’m not trying to be a jerk but what I’m saying is most of these flavors of the year guys, its just way too early on them to crown them. And believe it or not I respect your views regardless if I agree with them

At least you know Mickey will bring in talent. He’s done that Already. We know the players are going to respect him and love him. What we don’t know is what he can do with it. And when people say “I know Mickey is a nice guy” to me that’s like saying so was TO. Because the truth is I’ve seen both Mickey and Tom ripping kids on the sideline. More like a father yelling at his son. I also know that some of his remarks aren’t as “Mr Nice guy” as they sound. ive seen him stand up to the media honestly but in a way he’s throwing little jabs but not being a dick.

I think Mickey is doing all he can at his current post. I like his leadership and message. Sorry to say, but the truth is he’s never ran a program. I get the warm and fuzzies because he is a former player. He is also a great recruiter. The only thing knocking him is that if he wasn’t a former player, he’d be nowhere on any coaching board. I’m fine if he gets the job, I’m fine if they keep him around as receivers coach. What I don’t see is being able to attract a program builder, and telling them they have to hire certain people or the team has to run a certain offense. Most serious coaches may frown on that.

One strength for MJ is his connections in the south and african american community. If you look at his bio he's worked/coached at black colleges and mentored many kids. He could get some freak athletes.
thats why aranda as hc, and keeping mickey as oc is probably the best outcome that trev needs to make happen

Reactions: BleedRed78
thats why aranda as hc, and keeping mickey as oc is probably the best outcome that trev needs to make happen
It’d be ideal to find a proven HC and keep MJ on staff, but I don’t see Mickey sticking around if he’s not HC.
As for OC, there’s a ton that goes into calling plays, and I’m not sure MJ would be the best choice for that at this level.
MJ as head coach suits his skillset better (in my opinion) if he can attract a couple of elite coordinators, but that’s also a big question mark.

I think Mickey is doing all he can at his current post. I like his leadership and message. Sorry to say, but the truth is he’s never ran a program. I get the warm and fuzzies because he is a former player. He is also a great recruiter. The only thing knocking him is that if he wasn’t a former player, he’d be nowhere on any coaching board. I’m fine if he gets the job, I’m fine if they keep him around as receivers coach. What I don’t see is being able to attract a program builder, and telling them they have to hire certain people or the team has to run a certain offense. Most serious coaches may frown on that.
He’s been a HC at smaller black colleges and associate head coach at multiple colleges including lsu. He’s just never been a hc at a major college.

It’d be ideal to find a proven HC and keep MJ on staff, but I don’t see Mickey sticking around if he’s not HC.
As for OC, there’s a ton that goes into calling plays, and I’m not sure MJ would be the best choice for that at this level.
MJ as head coach suits his skillset better (in my opinion) if he can attract a couple of elite coordinators, but that’s also a big question mark.
I agree for sure.

I think Mickey's too involved as a head coach, a talk-to-the-players kind of guy to ever call plays. NU just can't throw it to Trey every play. (or can we?)

According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.
I’d be disappointed. But I’d support him (and the team).

If trev is offering heavily incentive based contracts and a very average salary then he should be fired for not negotiating in good faith. This isn’t the summit league

this is his first football or basketball hire in any capacity. Coaches and agents talk - I hope our AD isn’t going to wear the label of being intensely frugal in the world of massive athletic department revenue - that reputation will hurt you in future hires including assistants
So my question to you - Do you really believe the story is accurate? Do you believe Trev is that ignorant as to what is going on across the country that he would jeopardize Nebraska's chances? Do you think he does this on his own without consult HIS bosses? I do not, but it gives people something to complain about.

To be clear, nearly every coach receives incentives for various team achievements.

It is really simple. Bring in a solid HC who only cares to be here 3 - 5 years. That will attract good coordinators. Mickey is Assistant HC / receivers coach / head recruiter, give him healthy pay raise, and Mickey takes over at the appropriate time.

It is really simple. Bring in a solid HC who only cares to be here 3 - 5 years. That will attract good coordinators. Mickey is Assistant HC / receivers coach / head recruiter, give him healthy pay raise, and Mickey takes over at the appropriate time.
That’s not simple. Assuming this hot shot coach brings in his guys, I’d assume one of these big time coordinator is going to want a fair shot at the big seat in 3-5 years. Not lose it to one of their subordinates pre ordained.

these are all alphas, highly doubt you stack them up four deep and keep them together for any amount of time. Which is why saban more or less has a revolving door.

Hell no. You bring in big time coordinators, not newbies.
this is where my wisdom in matters shines fourth...blinding many..

we give mickey a upgrade from wr coach to oc (he keeps whipple and the rb coach..and them 3 focus on finding the best oline coach that fits their system and recruit/nil for it)

aranda is a dc coach and he has the #11 dc coach also....(they keep fisher and focus on finding the best dline coach and recruiting/nil for it)...I like our lb coach (old NU player), but he maybe on thin ice...

bill is kept for special teams.

......this I feel checks alot of boxes....
and you have arande to talk to sipple, callahan, the press in a calm logical reasoned way...not like missing link bo.
meanwhile mickey is spending time recruiting....

aranda will never see a national championship at baylor, the big 10 west is his best shot for it...
plus the big 12 espn contract pales in comparison..
mickey has never been a hc, but can make a huge jump up at oc, and keep building his skills...plus trev can have plenty zero's in his check, cause the big pays well...

I in this master stroke have reduced the risk of making "a former player, non head coach" as hc...but at the same time placed a hc with experince non former player...but yet still mantained mickey...I have kept pass happy for the lincoln office, and I feel have made a recruiting machine..

and I will not accept a penny for it...

That’s not simple. Assuming this hot shot coach brings in his guys, I’d assume one of these big time coordinator is going to want a fair shot at the big seat in 3-5 years. Not lose it to one of their subordinates pre ordained.

these are all alphas, highly doubt you stack them up four deep and keep them together for any amount of time. Which is why saban more or less has a revolving door.
That was a little tongue n cheek, but if a coordinator is making 1.5 mill, they may just be perfectly content at their position

This weekend is huge for the perception of Mickey Joseph.

lose big and it’s a bad loss. lose close to a better team, and you’ve accomplished what Frost did all through 2021. Win close, and you’re a hero.

I don’t view this as playing Illinois as much as it feels like we’re playing another Bielema team that ran all over Pelini. A win here would all but guarantee it’s MJ’s job to lose

If trev is offering heavily incentive based contracts and a very average salary then he should be fired for not negotiating in good faith. This isn’t the summit league

this is his first football or basketball hire in any capacity. Coaches and agents talk - I hope our AD isn’t going to wear the label of being intensely frugal in the world of massive athletic department revenue - that reputation will hurt you in future hires including assistants
I think it is a lot of guessing by sportswriters. It is always a race to see who can get the scoop and I doubt if Trev is telling too many people what he is up to.

Totally agree!!

You do NOT want to get in the road of one of those up-and-comers who has had his sites set on being the man. There might even be some back stabbing.

I’M SOOooo READY!!!

For Mickey…. or any other coach we may get.

It would be difficult to hire anyone who is not an instant upgrade. Their ceiling may be uncertain, but I’m confident any coach is going to put us on at least an upward trajectory.
So ready to turn the page on a new era and burn the last few years from memory.

What do you mean by "Trev sounds like.....)?

ADVERTISEMENT