ADVERTISEMENT

So Who's Ready for Mickey to be HC??

BleedRed78

Blackshirt
Oct 22, 2019
According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.

If trev is offering heavily incentive based contracts and a very average salary then he should be fired for not negotiating in good faith. This isn’t the summit league

this is his first football or basketball hire in any capacity. Coaches and agents talk - I hope our AD isn’t going to wear the label of being intensely frugal in the world of massive athletic department revenue - that reputation will hurt you in future hires including assistants

Assuming that story is accurate, and I doubt very much it is.....especially the part about incentive laced contracts, that part is just plain false, guaranteed.....

I think the majority of the fanbase would be OK with MJ. Me inc.

I would never, ever, hire somebody based on a skin color either, but the fact is it's downright embarrassing we've not had a black head coach, anywhere. It would be nice the get that moniker off our back at the same time.

I don’t think we will be any worse off a year from now than we are right now. Every year there are new and upcoming coaches who look like they will be the next great thing. So however it turns out now, we’ve lived it before. I do feel that Trev would love to hire Mickey and see what he could do. You know they’ve had discussions concerning staff issues. So Trev.may have slowed down on the idea of throwing a wad of cash out there to see who jumps on it. All, all, all of the candidates we’ve had mentioned are having bits of troubles now in their own programs so Trev may be slow playing the field.

According to this article from today that seems to be circulating elsewhere, Mickey is likely our next HC. Now, take it with a grain of salt (I hate the Fansided site personally). But I did see this same article appear multiple sites...

Long story short: Trev sounds like he's been offering incentive based contracts to the major candidates we've all been debating over. Just as some cautioned against (I know @dinglefritz warned against it). Because of this, it sounds like we haven't had much for bites from anyone in the candidate field. I wholeheartedly doubt it's due to "being in Nebraska" as some clowns like to make it seem all about.

My take: Part of me appreciates Trev ending the approach of UNL being a welfare program for the already wealthy (coaches who come here, get paid, fail, then are inevitably fired and paid some more). But part of me understands the very real nature of what it takes to compete in the marketplace for top notch coaches (even if they do present very real risk themselves).

Overall though, I for one AM ready for HC Mickey Joseph to take the reigns next year and doing what he can with his recruiting prowess to get Frost's abortion of a team repaired to at least compete for the West once more (at least one more year of divisions in the B1G from what I read earlier). I just hope he goes and gets some killer assistants. THAT is where B1G money should be spent.
I wouldn’t think the incentive part is true. I’m all for giving MJ a chance, provided he can bring in other guys (staff) that have the same recruiting acumen as himself.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I agree with y'all. Highly doubtful Trev is taking this approach, but at the same time... It's sadly somewhat believable.

Regardless, I'd be just fine with Mickey as HC. But I'd personally rather it be for the right reasons and NOT just that we couldn't hire a top coach due to frugal reasoning.

If we're gonna be frugal, then why be in the B1G?

Thank for sharing, but I have a hard time buying that Trev is trying to get top candidates to sign on for incentive-based contracts.
Why is this surprising? He's been frugal everywhere he's been. He cut two decent programs, albeit at a lower level, for the sole purpose of frugality. Frugality may have worked a dozen+ years ago before the era of massive TV contracts, or at least it wasn't as much of a hindrance to finding a quality candidate. But it sure as hell won't work now if you expect to lure a proven candidate. If you want to go cheap, your only option is unproven guys or proven mediocrity. Until the Nebraska administration ever figures that out, we'll continue to be a perennial doormat.

I still don't think it will be Mickey. If Mickey is the guy, Trev should have named him permanent coach by now, so that the staff could recruit the rest of this season without any uncertainty. I don't see any reason to wait if he's the guy. He's had a month-long interview already. Either he believes in him by now or not.

I still don't think it will be Mickey. If Mickey is the guy, Trev should have named him permanent coach by now, so that the staff could recruit the rest of this season without any uncertainty. I don't see any reason to wait if he's the guy. He's had a month-long interview already. Either he believes in him by now or not.
He still has a 5 game interview going on for the hire..

I agree with this, if it were him they would have announced it.
I like Mickey, I only worry about him keeping any of the current staff. Frankly, none of them outside of Beckton really has shown anything to justify keeping their jobs.

Why is this surprising? He's been frugal everywhere he's been. He cut two decent programs, albeit at a lower level, for the sole purpose of frugality. Frugality may have worked a dozen+ years ago before the era of massive TV contracts, or at least it wasn't as much of a hindrance to finding a quality candidate. But it sure as hell won't work now if you expect to lure a proven candidate. If you want to go cheap, your only option is unproven guys or proven mediocrity. Until the Nebraska administration ever figures that out, we'll continue to be a perennial doormat.

He cut programs at UNO because it was what had to be done for the long-term viability of the Atheltic Department. He also hired very well, including a big-time Hockey Coach, that he had to spend to get.

I agree and hope you're right. If we're basing whether to hire Mickey on what a terrible team does against Illinois and 4 other terrible unranked teams - we're just stupid. Hire Mickey if you think he's the right guy, but the next 5 games should not be what decides it.

edited: because I'm stupid and Michigan is not a terrible unranked team. If we beat them then give Mickey the keys to the state.

Everybody wants to get paid. The problem of picking a younger guy is that it's very much a pig in poke thing. Pelini was elevated from DC and won a bunch of games, Frost did not. Lot of guys that are established may not be particularly enamored of the NU job. Why coach in the B1G with the win soon expectations of the fan base when you can continue to win at the place your are now coaching. There may be some personnel restrictions (ex. keep Mickey, keep Busch).
If I'm Alberts, I'd keep it low key and continue discussions with candidates I might want. See what Joseph can do. At the end of the day, the decision might be an easy one if NU flames out and the decision is made to fully reset. Say Mickey drops 2 of the last five, but plays Michigan tough and beats Iowa to get bowl eligible. I'd count that as substantial progress made, given how the season began.

I agree and hope you're right. If we're basing whether to hire Mickey on what a terrible team does against Illinois and 4 other terrible unranked teams - we're just stupid. Hire Mickey if you think he's the right guy, but the next 5 games should not be what decides it.
If the team ends up playing poorly against these teams and gets run off the field against Michigan, the optics of hiring Mickey make it highly unlikely NU would continue with him, regardless of his actual worth as a coach.

One of the many reasons I laugh at these threads where people claim to have some inside info and who the next coach is going to be, is because I think we are in a position where we almost have to let the season play out and see how Mickey does, because can you imagine the embarrassment if we hire somebody after Mickey does a great job and wins a game or four that nobody expected him to, that would just look bad. So I believe we were in a wait and see mode personally and very little movement is happening on the coaching front for now

Everybody wants to get paid. The problem of picking a younger guy is that it's very much a pig in poke thing. Pelini was elevated from DC and won a bunch of games, Frost did not. Lot of guys that are established may not be particularly enamored of the NU job. Why coach in the B1G with the win soon expectations of the fan base when you can continue to win at the place your are now coaching. There may be some personnel restrictions (ex. keep Mickey, keep Busch).
If I'm Alberts, I'd keep it low key and continue discussions with candidates I might want. See what Joseph can do. At the end of the day, the decision might be an easy one if NU flames out and the decision is made to fully reset. Say Mickey drops 2 of the last five, but plays Michigan tough and beats Iowa to get bowl eligible. I'd count that as substantial progress made, given how the season began.
I "think" Trev is very aware of Mickey's overall popularity with the NU fanbase.
He has to feel it will be a real letdown for those fans if Mickey doesn't get the job, but a total disaster if Mickey picks up and leaves due to being passed over.

Mickey is probably like everyone else, I'm sure he feels IF he is given the chance he can get this up and running in a year or so. Mickey took the interim job knowing full well the already in-place factors that would work against him.

Any P5 head coach working with a subpar group of OLmen and DL men is gonna be up against it in a decent conference. You can put duct tape here and there, but if the whole mechanism has a faulty engine you know the thing is subject to failure at any time.

This second bye week has been great to get some kids healed, but the homestretch is gonna be brutal for this group of athletes and coaches.

One of the many reasons I laugh at these threads where people claim to have some inside info and who the next coach is going to be, is because I think we are in a position where we almost have to let the season play out and see how Mickey does, because can you imagine the embarrassment if we hire somebody after Mickey does a great job and wins a game or four that nobody expected him to, that would just look bad. So I believe we were in a wait and see mode personally and very little movement is happening on the coaching front for now
Agree.

He cut programs at UNO because it was what had to be done for the long-term viability of the Atheltic Department. He also hired very well, including a big-time Hockey Coach, that he had to spend to get.

How dare you bring facts. Old poopy pants would rather continue his narrative and negativity. He will make excuses for Alabama though

Reactions: headcard
Thank for sharing, but I have a hard time buying that Trev is trying to get top candidates to sign on for incentive-based contracts.
This. Exactly. That claim alone nullifies any article claiming to have inside info. Trev said in his press conference that monetary resources for hiring the next coach would not be an issue. So now he has changed his mind and decided to forego getting a top notch coach because he decided to go cheap at the last second? I call big time bullshit on this.

One thing I do believe… if MJ is the guy he is going to work his tail off to turn this ship around. Maybe he isn’t the best coach, but hard work can cover a lot of ground, and if he hires quality assistants, we could do ALOT worse than Mickey.

That has been stated on the board countless times. Anyone who still posts that stuff is either dense or pushing an agenda.

Trev is an imbecile. It’s true. He can’t hire the best because they don’t want to work for him.

He cut the programs to keep UNO athletics alive.

let me think....pay a lot of money to hire some big name coach that doesnt know nebraska and will likely fail....or.....pay a lot less money for a better coach who knows nebraska (mickey) and has already coached here successfully....give me mickey every time
Not bashing Mickey but how has Mickey already successfully coached at Nebraska

Next year? We're competing right now baby!!

Reactions: BleedRed78
One thing I do believe… if MJ is the guy he is going to work his tail off to turn this ship around. Maybe he isn’t the best coach, but hard work can cover a lot of ground, and if he hires quality assistants, we could do ALOT worse than Mickey.
One strength for MJ is his connections in the south and african american community. If you look at his bio he's worked/coached at black colleges and mentored many kids. He could get some freak athletes.

I would never, ever, hire somebody based on a skin color either, but the fact is it's downright embarrassing we've not had a black head coach, anywhere. It would be nice the get that moniker off our back at the same time.
not really. Nebraska hasn't had to cycle through a ton of coaches, and until recently, the pool of highly successful black coaches was pretty small.

I would be for Mickey Joseph as HC not because of his skin color, but because of the feeling that having him at the helm feels like we finally have an adult in the room for the first time since early Pelini days.

ADVERTISEMENT