ADVERTISEMENT

So, the Pelini Cornhusker basement story is made up, eh?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they couldn’t there would be no reason to play the games. Just compare rivals composite rankings across the programs and higher number wins. Could save a lot of effort that way.

Pelini gets credit for beating every team he had more talent than. Something Riley and Callahan could not do.

Unfortunately, I don’t think he ever beat a team that he did not have the talent edge on. If he did I don’t recall it.
Yep. As consistent as Bo was at beating lesser teams, he so rarely beat teams with greater or even equal talent. I think his win over Clemson in the bowl game his first season that happened. But it was crazy how rare it was.

I didn't deny anything, I just read the quote and didn't see any "according to" mentioned, so I just wondered about the source. I could care less about the Bo in the basement saga really, especially at this point in time. It became boring years ago.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but the writer doesn't say where he got the Bo story. How do you know that he isn't just reciting some famous old hearsay in the article?
It happened. Several guys on RSS know the particulars and a couple were involved that day. It’s been corroborated by many. Lol as if Bo doing this is somehow unbelievable anyway.

It happened. Several guys on RSS know the particulars and a couple were involved that day. It’s been corroborated by many. Lol as if Bo doing this is somehow unbelievable anyway.

Yep.

That story about Riley = GTFO.

That story about Bo = another day at the office.

Reactions: steelclaw
Yep.

That story about Riley = GTFO.

That story about Bo = another day at the office.
Sean Callahan tells stories of how Bo would just call him screaming at him. The guy was off his rocker. Now, you can actually act that way if you are going to win big games but you can’t if you don’t.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If they couldn’t there would be no reason to play the games. Just compare rivals composite rankings across the programs and higher number wins. Could save a lot of effort that way.

Pelini gets credit for beating every team he had more talent than. Something Riley and Callahan could not do.

Unfortunately, I don’t think he ever beat a team that he did not have the talent edge on. If he did I don’t recall it.

Good post! That sounds about right. Bo was no Devaney or TO. But he sure as hell wasn't Riley/Callahan either.

Riley/Callahan racked up four losing seasons in seven years. Bo racked up zero losing seasons in seven years.

If it's written in an article, it must be true. They've never been wrong before.:rolleyes:
This one is not wrong. Some of us have personal experience with the Pelini goon squad. When you raise hell with a bunch of docs wanting to know who spilled the beans on an injury assuming it was one of them instead of one of your own coaching staff who actually did it, you have a personal problem. The guy is pathological.

Reactions: HuskerDana
This one is not wrong. Some of us have personal experience with the Pelini goon squad. When you raise hell with a bunch of docs wanting to know who spilled the beans on an injury assuming it was one of them instead of one of your own coaching staff who actually did it, you have a personal problem. The guy is pathological.

I met Bo twice on recruiting/fan trips. He was normal as ph&*. Took a bunch of farmers questions. Stupidity. Other nonsense.

The narrative that Bo was crazy just makes lame, archaic posters feel legitimized because they supported Riley and have nobody else to attack, yet feel marginalized, because they didn't support SF out of Oregon when we hired Smilin Mike.

Carry on.

lol

Reactions: oldjar07
I met Bo twice on recruiting/fan trips. He was normal as ph&*. Took a bunch of farmers questions. Stupidity. Other nonsense.

The narrative that Bo was crazy just makes lame, archaic posters feel legitimized because they supported Riley and have nobody else to attack.

lol
He could be fairly normal until something upset him and he went in to his back up personality mode...which was WAY too often. He lives on the edge of sanity and it takes about a gram of anger to take him completely off the ledge. When you pay people to log message board posts and then track down those posters and intimidate them...well.

He could be fairly normal until something upset him and he went in to his back up personality mode...which was WAY too often. He lives on the edge of sanity and it takes about a gram of anger to take him completely off the ledge. When you pay people to log message board posts and then track down those posters and intimidate them...well.

BS. He was provoked.

You guys have no clue about The Nebraska Way.

Keep dreamin

What was the alleged inside info shared?

Do you really think a writer like Dirk, who writes for one of the major news outlets in this state would jeopardize his job and reputation by writing something like this without verifying its validity first? Good grief, the denial in this thread is unreal.
was it Dirk stalking the Youngstown State practices from a hilltop?

It certainly sounds like something he would do. He could also turn it on and off like a light switch. He flipped his lid on my son who was reffing his kid in a soccer game. Then after the game my son went and talked to him and he was just fine.

He did something very similar at one of his son’s bball tourneys in MN.

Geesh.....such overwhelming evidence. What a sharp cookie you are!

If Bo is such a good coach, why does his name never come up in any coaching vacancies? Tennessee went through about 15 names in the most leaky and frantic search since Steve P. hired Callahan. And Pelini was never brought up as an option. Look at all the coaching hired over the last 3 seasons, Pelini was never a candidate.

On a side note, there is one "Pelini-Incident Story" that has been made up and embellished over time throughout Husker Lore.

When Bubba Starling chose to sign with the Kansas City Royals, Bo and Coach Cotton did NOT go to Bubba's Front Yard and scream profanities at the Starling family. There have been numerous claims about "NEIGHBORS" witnessing this behavior. That's amusing considering the Starling's lived on an acreage, 2 miles West of Gardner at the time. Their nearest neighbors would've needed a telescope and one of those boom microphones used on the sidelines to hear action at NFL games in order to witness and hear an exchange. Bo never even showed up that night.

Bo did chew out the Kansas City Royals because they tried to intervene with Bubba's workouts while he was in Lincoln that whole Summer. In fact I'm fairly certain Bo actually screamed at a Royals trainer while in a conversation with Bubba. That story got back to Peter Gammons who reported it, and the rest of the rumors took off.

Now... Bo always brought this type of perception and rumor mongering on himself. He has the Emotional Maturity of a 12 year-old. Those stories were always easy to believe because Bo often exhibited maniacal and irrational behavior.

Bo.... the story that never quite dies....

Is it possible to admit that none of our past three coaches have been uninspired choices for various reasons, and move on to a ( hopefully) much brighter future with Frost?
Merry Christmas!

Now we just need a picture of those gloves that Mary Pat (Is that her name?) wore that told Pederson (right?) to **** off.

Please let that turn up! I love these stories.

Bo.... the story that never quite dies....

Is it possible to admit that none of our past three coaches have been uninspired choices for various reasons, and move on to a ( hopefully) much brighter future with Frost?
Merry Christmas!

It's funny. The guy with the losing record will always be welcome in Lincoln. The maniacal one? We're still trying to recover from Pelini's scorched Earth behavior.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It's funny. The guy with the losing record will always be welcome in Lincoln. The maniacal one? We're still trying to recover from Pelini's scorched Earth behavior.
We are?

I am not. I would buy either one of them a drink if I saw them out. I didn't take Bo being mean as a personal attack on me and I didn't take Riley being a horrible coach as a personal attack on me.

The only one I might not buy a drink for would be SE...because the dude just seems super creepy. But I would drink with him if he was buying.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I could not care less about any of this. So Pelini confronted a fan in a hotel basement and lost his temper 7 years ago?? Yawn.
So it turns out that those on this board who have been saying that this really happened were right all along? Lol. Double yawn.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
Are we still talking about Bo? My god, please let it die!

Each of the last four coaches brought something different to the table we felt was needed at the time. Solich was continuity to TO, Callahan was the West Coast offence (mediocrity), Bo because we lost our defensive identity and then Riley because Bo was an Azz. We all believed in each until proven otherwise; one is no worse than the other, they all failed in their own way. I swear, the need by some to be right all the time; along with the anger, are no different than what we hated in Bo.

Hopefully, happy days are ahead once again so chill. Sit back and enjoy Husker football again until proven otherwise! Frost is the new coach and the past is just that, the past!

First time a media member put it in print.

Two months later came a more serious incident. On Oct. 16, 2010, the morning of Nebraska’s showdown with Texas, Pelini contacted and summoned a Husker fan to the basement of the team hotel. This man supported the program, but he’d also shared inside information on a message board. Pelini confronted him as the team waited outside on the bus.

The incident, which got back to NU administrators, looked worse after the heavily favored Huskers face-planted against their burnt orange nemesis.

Article right here

Like always, it eventually comes out. Oh, and to the haters...

tenor.gif

When you put the entire story in context it's truly amazing how much of a nut job Pelini was.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Hate to be a wet blanket, but the writer doesn't say where he got the Bo story. How do you know that he isn't just reciting some famous old hearsay in the article?

LOLOL. Dirk wouldn't have anything to write about without the source. He's been feeding him for some time.

Reactions: HuskerDana
The problem is Bo's ghost is still here. There are many fans hanging on to Bo as if he were an icon coach of some sort. The firing of Bo fractured the fan base. This back and forth thread just goes to show that the fracture still exists. That is what Bo accomplished. Riley not winning at all let alone at a high level just poured salt on the wound.

This hiring of Frost is/was about the only hire that could mend this rift and pull this fan base back together again.

People need to realize that the wrong hiring of Riley does not mean the firing of Bo was incorrect. It is time now for the Pro-Bo fans to let go of Bo and embrace Frost and the same with the people that wanted Bo gone.

I am not going to turn this post into whether either side is wrong or right. I am going to say it is time for both sides to let go and embrace what is now. It is the Frost era now and time for BIG RED Fans to become ONE again!

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT