ADVERTISEMENT

So much for summer football practice in SEC

Ok then, we see a his chart that shows total deaths for 6 cities for the first quarter of 2020. Show me a chart that breaks down year over year the number of deaths due to heart disease, cancer, accidents, stroke......and then COVID.

If a similar number of people died from heart disease, cancer, stroke, accidents etc in 2019 and then again in 2020, I'll be glad to reassess my opinion.
New info from a Dr at the Oxford College of Medicine in the U.K. Apparently large numbers of people have a natural immunity to COVID due to previous exposure of their T cells to other Corona viruses. He believes the path to population immunity is much shorter than previously thought. He also says that just because you don't have antibodies present that you may still be immune to COVID due to the latent immunity provided by T-cells. Gee I wonder who else has posted that on this board?

New info from a Dr at the Oxford College of Medicine in the U.K. Apparently large numbers of people have a natural immunity to COVID due to previous exposure of their T cells to other Corona viruses. He believes the path to population immunity is much shorter than previously thought. He also says that just because you don't have antibodies present that you may still be immune to COVID due to the latent immunity provided by T-cells. Gee I wonder who else has posted that on this board?

There are several bits of uplifting info that is out there.

Its got to be "productizable" though.

Right now we can barely agree on how many people will get seriously sick, either based off of models or projections of data we've already collected.

Telling Abbot to walk back his orders today because some untold number of people may actually be COVID superman doesn't seem likely without a more solid footing of whats going to happen within his empire.

There are several bits of uplifting info that is out there.

Its got to be "productizable" though.

Right now we can barely agree on how many people will get seriously sick, either based off of models or projections of data we've already collected.

Telling Abbot to walk back his orders today because some untold number of people may actually be COVID superman doesn't seem likely without a more solid footing of whats going to happen within his empire.
The CFR and hospitalization rate as a percentage of positive cases should be the bell cows on this. Our CFR and national death toll continues to fall. The media trumpets the increase in positive tests without giving any perspective. Look at where the increases in hospitalizations are at and you'll see a pattern that clearly explains what is going on. I don't really care what Abbot does. Good luck enforcing a mask edict in Texas. The people in urban areas may follow it.

Reactions: bluenrg
The CFR and hospitalization rate as a percentage of positive cases should be the bell cows on this. Our CFR and national death toll continues to fall. The media trumpets the increase in positive tests without giving any perspective. Look at where the increases in hospitalizations are at and you'll see a pattern that clearly explains what is going on. I don't really care what Abbot does. Good luck enforcing a mask edict in Texas. The people in urban areas may follow it.

As I said before the Governor down here is spineless when it comes most things.

The thing that sucks about this edict is that he is putting the enforcement on the businesses. If your business doesn't enforce the mask rule, then you could be fined $1,000 per occurrence. The reason the leadership is making the business enforce the rule, is because the police unions have pretty much said, they won't enforce the rule. So in order for the demand to have any sort of teeth, he had to invoke the help of the businesses.

To show how the number positives is inflated I was told one Nebraska athlete tested positive. They brought them back a few days late they tested positive again. A few days later positive again. Fourth test negative. Reported as three positive tests.

I will share you a little anecdote called the Cobra Effect. It is quite simple, a village in India was infested with Cobras. The townspeople went to the Brits, who were ruling India at the time, and demanded action. The Brits sent some people in and came up with a plan. They said, we will offer a bounty for all dead cobras brought in. Sounds logical, right? In the beginning it seemed to work, huge numbers of dead cobras were brought in, the townspeople were paid. But after a while, the government became a bit skeptical, you see, the enterprising townfolk decided to breed themselves some cobras, kill them and bring them to the government to get paid. When the Brits figured this out, they nixed the program. All the smart townspeople had to set the snakes free and the infestation problem was worse than ever.

Same sort of principles work with COVID, the government is paying a premium for patients with COVID, since hospitals are not able to do elective surgeries and such, the only way they can stay afloat is to inflate numbers. If you have COVID when you die, then you died from COVID.

There is a family in Oklahoma fighting this right now. Their father died, in hospice, from Alzheimer's. He went to the hospital at some point before he died and had a cough and was short of breath. The doctors treated him and sent him home, a few weeks later he went back to the hospital because he had stopped eating etc..no signs of COVID, normal breathing and no cough, doctors sent him to hospice where they listed him as COVID patient because he had it in the past. When he died a couple of days later.....cause of death listed as COVID.

Don't tell me this is the only case like this. The numbers are inflated.
For the last time: death certificates have nothing to do with hospital reimbursement. Hospitals are reimbursed based on a clinician’s discharge summary at the time the patient is discharged. Specifically, billing is based on a section called the problem list, where either confirmed medical problems or probable/possible issues are listed based on test results. It has been common for decades to use “possible or probable”, because unlike TV medical shows, in real life many times there are not definitive diagnoses made and doctors have to use their best clinical judgment.
“a premium
No one said that COVID isn't causing deaths. I truly believe that COVID accelerated the deaths of many people, especially those that were elderly or those with underlying health concerns. Perhaps we should wait until the end of the year and look your little chart. Or maybe since it is now July, we could look at a chart that includes May and June for those cities and see if it may have leveled out a bit.

Edit - Regardless, showing more people died in the first quarter of 2020 doesn't prove that some of those deaths weren't falsely marked as COVID deaths so the hospital could get the federal funds.
Medicare is hardly paying a premium for covid. The reimbursement is very similar for other related diagnoses (‘pneumonia’). The feds are reimbursing covid care for uninsured patients, but only for test confirmed cases. So the theory that hospitals are systematically committing fraud to pump up the numbers is flat out wrong.

If the COVID numbers are being grossly inflated - ie deaths that aren’t COVID are being labeled as COVID then it is easy to test this - take cause of the death out of the picture and look

the overall death rate -regardless of cause is markedly elevated across the globe this year - if it isn’t COVID then what is it - unless you think hospitals across the world and nation are manufacturing deaths

coronavirus-death-toll-total-promo-1588123095036-superJumbo-v3.jpg

The US is currently at 105% of expected deaths YTD (all causes) and that number has been dropping the last couple weeks. Last week we had only 32% of expected deaths for the week. Most of the excess in expected deaths were in the areas indicated by the charts you posted.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

For the last time: death certificates have nothing to do with hospital reimbursement. Hospitals are reimbursed based on a clinician’s discharge summary at the time the patient is discharged. Specifically, billing is based on a section called the problem list, where either confirmed medical problems or probable/possible issues are listed based on test results. It has been common for decades to use “possible or probable”, because unlike TV medical shows, in real life many times there are not definitive diagnoses made and doctors have to use their best clinical judgment.
“a premium

Medicare is hardly paying a premium for covid. The reimbursement is very similar for other related diagnoses (‘pneumonia’). The feds are reimbursing covid care for uninsured patients, but only for test confirmed cases. So the theory that hospitals are systematically committing fraud to pump up the numbers is flat out wrong.

I wish folks would pick one story and stick with it. A month or so ago, covid was a hoax because hospitals were laying people off and going bankrupt. Now covid is a hoax because hospitals are working OT to defraud the USG out of bajillions of dollars with thousands of phony cases.

My neighbor went to get a test, they gave him the kit, told him to go "over there" to the corner of the room, you know social distancing and all and administer the test himself.

The US is currently at 105% of expected deaths YTD (all causes) and that number has been dropping the last couple weeks. Last week we had only 32% of expected deaths for the week. Most of the excess in expected deaths were in the areas indicated by the charts you posted.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

If you take one minute and read the disclaimers, the data lags 30-60 days. So a lot of the past few weeks deaths are yet to hit the system. This isn’t new to COVID, this is the way the NVSS works. Here is the relevant portion since you were too lazy to read it the first time.

It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS.

If you take one minute and read the disclaimers, the data lags 30-60 days. So a lot of the past few weeks deaths are yet to hit the system. This isn’t new to COVID, this is the way the NVSS works. Here is the relevant portion since you were too lazy to read it the first time.

It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS.
Yeah, there is a lag time in reporting, but that lag time would be consistantly for each week the report comes out. Yes, I did read the disclaimers, but thanks for calling me lazy. I wasn't attacking your post, just adding more current information. Going by memory, the 32% for the latest week seems lower than what I recall seeing when I looked at the data previously. The 105% ytd number should be comparable to the ytd number from a few weeks ago, which was 106%

Last edited:
Yeah, there is a lag time in reporting, but that lag time would be consistantly for each week the report comes out. So the 105% ytd number should be comparable to the ytd number from a few weeks ago, which was 106%

The more data we add, the less each single week remains relevant. We could go back 2-5 years and look and say over X years things are normal, but that isn’t relevant to the pandemic at hand. From March-May we had 100K-150K more Americans lives end than were expected.

The more data we add, the less each single week remains relevant. We could go back 2-5 years and look and say over X years things are normal, but that isn’t relevant to the pandemic at hand. From March-May we had 100K-150K more Americans lives end than were expected.

Death rate is only one part. Lots of people die due to heart disease. Except for a fringe few, no one really wants the USG regulating what to eat, we see it as an individuals problem.

Professor Xavier though, just wants to teach school. He has little to no say whether he catches the Rona from a bunch of kids who are gambling with other folks' lives. We can however, prevent Professor Xavier from being in that classroom if we feel the risk is enough.

If 75% of the country felt this wasn't a big deal, we'd say that the loss of several Professors was an acceptable loss and move on with life. But at this time 75% of America is concerned and so decisions are made with big inconveniences.

And the outcomes of the Rona are still being studied. Uni Presidents probably know that a good many of their students will remain more or less safe. But most parents want assurances as well, optics are part of the job. They also know that in campuses that can go upwards of 50K people, something that effects only a couple percent of people is potentially going to have sizable effects in their domain. They aren't just staff and students, they are for all intents and purposes a bunch of dice waiting to be rolled.

Stuffy presidents don't generally like russian roulette.

Nobody is inflating numbers, it's asinine you guys keep talking like this. There is no reason for any of it, other than more people are infected now.
The numbers are absolutely inflated. Part of it probably has to do with how much money the govt is paying per covid patient.

People who haven't been tested are being labeled covid. Gunshot deaths are being labeled covid deaths.

Like I said I'm not a stickler on masks, but I'm so sick of hearing that masks are not helpful. I am also sick of hearing your guys stories about how everything's a lie.

If you're that sick of it as you keep saying imagine how sick of it they must be...

Something about rioting and looting gets ya a free pass. I don't get it either.

If I go eat an an Applebee's (Are those still around), I will automatically get it and spread it.

If I spend 10 days in CHAZ, watching people get shot, killed, assaulted, breathing on each other, spray painting everything in site, sitting on crappy couches right next to each other and singing, hugging each other and crying together...I will not get it and I will not spread it.

oh yeah... the "Husker Football" message board that I gotta hear about how you know the answer to COVID-19, and all the scientist and people in the know are lying to us every day so Biden gets votes... got it!

Good!

Now put your mask on, get outside, and go enjoy some sunshine and fresh air!

The NCAA should start the season on November 8th and play every week to get to 12 games by January. Reason being, one way or the other, the Covid hysteria will subside after the previous Tuesday.

I think back to the disappearance of Chandra Levy. It was a local DC story until she was linked to a Congressman. Then it went nationwide. I had to endure every cable network fill up airtime during a fairly benign summer of news with the "disappearance of Chandra". Then 9/11 happened and the news channels largely forgot about her. Her body was found in Rock Creek Park the following spring and garnered a couple days of coverage at most.

Regardless of your viewpoint on the subject (masks/no masks; school in the fall/no school; shelter in place/open everything, etc.), if you can't admit that the media hating the President colors the way they report on Covid (and people's subsequent feelings about the pandemic), then you are either naive or dishonest. Yes many people have died and been sick and businesses have been ruined, no denying that. But to see the talking heads almost rooting for things to get worse is sickening and not the "journalism" I grew up with.

The NCAA should start the season on November 8th and play every week to get to 12 games by January. Reason being, one way or the other, the Covid hysteria will subside after the previous Tuesday.

I think back to the disappearance of Chandra Levy. It was a local DC story until she was linked to a Congressman. Then it went nationwide. I had to endure every cable network fill up airtime during a fairly benign summer of news with the "disappearance of Chandra". Then 9/11 happened and the news channels largely forgot about her. Her body was found in Rock Creek Park the following spring and garnered a couple days of coverage at most.

Regardless of your viewpoint on the subject (masks/no masks; school in the fall/no school; shelter in place/open everything, etc.), if you can't admit that the media hating the President colors the way they report on Covid (and people's subsequent feelings about the pandemic), then you are either naive or dishonest. Yes many people have died and been sick and businesses have been ruined, no denying that. But to see the talking heads almost rooting for things to get worse is sickening and not the "journalism" I grew up with.

This is so true. Clearly the virus is not a hoax and clearly it is a huge problem but it is also so clear that the coverage is so very slanted.

Like, remember when the "peaceful protests" started and all of a sudden the virus was not a big deal...because showing the protesting was the big deal. Notice how the start of CHAZ was a big deal...then after 4 days in when there were fights, vandalism, a shooting, another shooting, a murder and accusations of sexual assault...there was all of a sudden no story.

When Biden is President there will be virus news...but it will all be positive. It won't be 'Hospitals are filling up!" it will be "Hospital staff around the nation are doing an incredible job handling these cases" . It won't be "A record day for new cases" it will be "More good news as the death toll declines even while positive cases are up"

To show how the number positives is inflated I was told one Nebraska athlete tested positive. They brought them back a few days late they tested positive again. A few days later positive again. Fourth test negative. Reported as three positive tests.
I had the virus. I had a positive test through Test Iowa which is a swab test. I believe this is the same test Nebraska uses. I asked an ER doctor if I should retest after my quarantine was over. He told me if I did a swab test that I could get a false result as a swab test only identifies the presence of the virus. It does not tell if the virus if dead or alive.

I’m a Texan- just attended a parade, you are correct in your assumptions.

I had the virus. I had a positive test through Test Iowa which is a swab test. I believe this is the same test Nebraska uses. I asked an ER doctor if I should retest after my quarantine was over. He told me if I did a swab test that I could get a false result as a swab test only identifies the presence of the virus. It does not tell if the virus if dead or alive.

it isn’t a “false result” if the test is + - the test detects the presence of viral particles exactly as it was designed to

the only false result would be a false negative which occurs in about 20% of cases

it isn’t a “false result” if the test is + - the test detects the presence of viral particles exactly as it was designed to

the only false result would be a false negative which occurs in about 20% of cases

There are absolutely false positives, can be due to collection errors, contamination of a sample or faulty equipment.

Reactions: jlb321 and bluenrg
There are absolutely false positives, can be due to collection errors, contamination of a sample or faulty equipment.

yes - thank you for clarifying

I was responding in the context of what the poster was describing - a repeat positive after previously testing positive because it might not be active virus is not a “false result”

the test is for viral particles

Last edited:
yes - thank you for clarifying

I was responding in the context of what the poster was describing - a repeat positive after previously testing positive because it might not be active virus is not a “false result”

the test is for viral particles

Question for you, out of our last 4 commitments Seth Malcom, Gabe Ervin, Will Schweitzer and now Latrell Neville....you haven’t posted anything in those threads, nothing at all.

Most Husker fans on this board are happy and excited about getting the commitments and they usually post something about the recruit in some way. But you haven’t said a word, not one in our last 4 commitments. Not even our current 6’4 4 star WR from Texas Latrell Neville that has 48 offers.

But you have no problem posting about stuff like this and it’s funny, you are always in the threads that end up get locked by the mods. Why is that my so called “Husker” friend?

Last edited:
Question for you, out of our last 4 commitments Seth Malcom, Gabe Ervin, Will Schweitzer and now Latrell Neville....you haven’t posted anything in those threads, nothing at all.

Most Husker fans on this board are happy and excited about getting the commitments and they usually post something about the recruit in some way. But you haven’t said a word, not one in our last 4 commitments. Not even our current 6’4 4 star WR from Texas Latrell Neville that has 48 offers.

But you have no problem posting about stuff like this and it’s funny, you are always in the threads that end up get locked by the mods. Why is that my so called “Husker” friend?

If I am the one who is responsible for getting them locked I’m sure I would be given a vacation ..

Im sure everyone sleeps a little better knowing you are patrolling the board

58ec06bb5cb0cf47c252523e28c414c8.jpg

If I am the one who is responsible for getting them locked I’m sure I would be given a vacation ..

Im sure everyone sleeps a little better knowing you are patrolling the board

58ec06bb5cb0cf47c252523e28c414c8.jpg

Soooo...the lack of care for our commitments is due to....????? It’s just weird, everyone else gets into it and all that. But you, not at all....nothing. Not a “GBR”, not a “Hell yeah” and not even a “Oh well, we need to recruit better recruits”. Sorry but it’s a bit odd considering this is a recruiting message board and all.....

And hey, don’t be so sensitive if you’re doing nothing wrong...since you’re so innocent, then you have nothing to worry about. It’s just odd how little you care about our commitments and recruiting in general.

Happy 4th of the July my so called “Husker” friend. ;)

Soooo...the lack of care for our commitments is due to....????? It’s just weird, everyone else gets into it and all that. But you, not at all....nothing. Not a “GBR”, not a “Hell yeah” and not even a “Oh well, we need to recruit better recruits”. Sorry but it’s a bit odd considering this is a recruiting message board and all.....

And hey, don’t be so sensitive if you’re doing nothing wrong...since you’re so innocent, then you have nothing to worry about. It’s just odd how little you care about our commitments and recruiting in general.

thank_you_for_input_sherlock.gif

I've been here over a decade and a half and I'd be surprised if I'd said anything in half of the commitment threads.

Usually I just notice they exist and they let me know we got someone. What's in them is rarely interesting...20 guys posting GBR...maybe the odd duck wondering if a lower rated guy was a plan C and is recruiting falling off a cliff and usually a couple of guys who expect a four star to be an all America caliber player his sophomore season.

Rinse repeat

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT