ADVERTISEMENT

So Minnesota baseball is really really bad

Worst pitching staff in college baseball. Many injuries. Pitchers with big time potential have totally flopped. Not sure what is going to happen with the coaching staff. By far the worst season in Minnesota baseball history. As stated above just 3 years ago, Minnesota was in the super regional. Yes it is a head scratcher. They have been to NCAA tourney 20 out of the last 40 years. Long history of success that disappeared.

Their pitching issues are historically bad.

They've allowed 667 base runners in 294 innings pitched. On average, they allow at least 2 base runners every inning.

Reactions: scarletred
The BIG teams should just drop baseball like Wisconsin did. Football, Basketball, Hockey, Track, and maybe Lacrosse are the only Men Sports the big needs. Even Hockey and Lacrosse are a stretch.
So it's a "stretch" that we need lacrosse but baseball should be dropped? Why exactly? Baseball, while not the revenue sport that football and basketball are, at least has some interest among the fan base. Lacrosse is followed by players parents and maybe 9 fans across the country.

The BIG teams should just drop baseball like Wisconsin did. Football, Basketball, Hockey, Track, and maybe Lacrosse are the only Men Sports the big needs. Even Hockey and Lacrosse are a stretch.
Never gonna happen, thanks for playing!

Good luck getting rid of hockey. While we don't have it, friends of mine who are fans of other b1g schools that have hockey say it's very popular

Never gonna happen, thanks for playing!

Why wouldn't it happen? Schools are already cutting sports and I'm sure baseball is on the docket for some schools. I don't see basketball and wrestling being cut, but who knows with wrestling. It's a big sport at PSU and in the state of Pennsylvania, but not sure how it does financially at Indiana or other schools.

Good luck getting rid of hockey. While we don't have it, friends of mine who are fans of other b1g schools that have hockey say it's very popular

It's very popular at PSU, despite it being a recent varsity sport. There are 7 NHL teams within a 4 hour drive of State College and Pennsylvania is a cold weather state so kids do play the sport. With that being said not all the Big schools have hockey.

1783? Admittedly, just a guess

Exactly. Program is a waste of money. Drop it like Wisconsin did. It's not like Athletic depts are flush with cash right now.

With that being said little league and pro baseball are big in Pennsylvania. Not sure how the high school talent is in PA.

Exactly. Program is a waste of money. Drop it like Wisconsin did. It's not like Athletic depts are flush with cash right now.

With that being said little league and pro baseball are big in Pennsylvania. Not sure how the high school talent is in PA.
If you had said Penn State should drop baseball, few people would have taken issue with that. But why should "BIG teams" drop baseball just because nobody in Pennsylvania give two shits about it?

Reactions: scarletred
If you had said Penn State should drop baseball, few people would have taken issue with that. But why should "BIG teams" drop baseball just because nobody in Pennsylvania give two shits about it?

Maybe I need to get out to the Midwest more, but I was under the impression outside of the South no one gave a two shits about college baseball. Heck even pro baseball is losing popularity around the country. But yes I agree PSU should drop and not other BIG schools.

It's very popular at PSU, despite it being a recent varsity sport. There are 7 NHL teams within a 4 hour drive of State College and Pennsylvania is a cold weather state so kids do play the sport. With that being said not all the Big schools have hockey.

Man-Boy shower wrestling is popular at PSU as well, but doesn’t mean it should be a B1G sport.

Man-Boy shower wrestling is popular at PSU as well, but doesn’t mean it should be a B1G sport.
I see Graham Spanier is finally going to serve a couple of months in jail. Pennsylvania taxpayers can exhale - maybe they're done paying millions in legal fees, in addition to the full faculty salary he's been stealing for years.

I'm alright with dropping wrestling too. Keep the sport that makes money. Of course we have to worry about Title 9 and womans sports which I'm sure non of them make money.

I'm alright with dropping wrestling too. Keep the sport that makes money. Of course we have to worry about Title 9 and womans sports which I'm sure non of them make money.
That's an argument that I would like to see enter the equation. Why are schools forced to lose money...... title 9.

Reactions: BigTimeFan75
I think a school that only had sports that make money would be a pretty effing boring place. Why do people constantly worry about money spent by athletic departments? News flash: it's not coming out of your pocket in any way that matters.

Maybe I need to get out to the Midwest more, but I was under the impression outside of the South no one gave a two shits about college baseball. Heck even pro baseball is losing popularity around the country. But yes I agree PSU should drop and not other BIG schools.
Outside of the Big10 and a few big 12 schools nobody gives two $&it’s about wrestling in the SEC, ACC and Pac-12..

And Baseball has always been huge in the Pac-12 not just the South..

Lacrosse is for people like yourself back in the Eastern part of the country, leave baseball the hell alone..

ADVERTISEMENT