ADVERTISEMENT

So looking forward to deer hunting!!

i don't hunt, but i like deer chili.
in fact, i love it.
venison pepperoni's are good, too.

In 18 days, good Lord willing, I will be sitting in a tree with my bow, and no phone, waiting on a good buck to walk my way!! And for a while all will be good in this world.
I normally bow hunt but time does not allow this year. Possibly in October I’ll find a weekend to go. I think about it almost every day though lol

OP, hope it makes you feel like a real man

smh
Do you feel like a man eating salads and tofu burgers because if you eat meat that means you’re hypocritical. Or not man enough to kill your own food. Just asking for a friend.

Do you feel like a man eating salads and tofu burgers because if you eat meat that means you’re hypocritical. Or not man enough to kill your own food. Just asking for a friend.
Unfair. I love me a bacon cheeseburger or a steak, but unless I really had to i don't think I could kill anything with fur. Fish and birds, no problem. There's just something about mammals that I can't bring myself to kill them. They are delicious though.

Unfair. I love me a bacon cheeseburger or a steak, but unless I really had to i don't think I could kill anything with fur. Fish and birds, no problem. There's just something about mammals that I can't bring myself to kill them. They are delicious though.

I could kill a mammal if they were breaking into my home, but hunting for sport is not for me. I totally respect it. My ancestors were avid hunters though. I read an article that there are a lot less hunters in the US these days. I would do it if I had to.

I can’t wait to get out this fall. Usually I have to head up to Cedar & Knox counties a couple of times but that about a 3 hour drive from south central Nebraska. Someday I need to find a place to hunt deer & turkey around here.

That’s perfectly understandable. I just don’t understand how someone can try to shame someone else for an act that they themselves enjoy the results of. (Assuming he’s not a vegetarian) I have no issues with kind hearted gentle people not wanting to kill something.

I could kill a mammal if they were breaking into my home, but hunting for sport is not for me. I totally respect it. My ancestors were avid hunters though. I read an article that there are a lot less hunters in the US these days. I would do it if I had to.
I know a few hunters that I think borderline on doing it out of bloodlust. Not gonna lie, I do laugh at some of the stories they tell but some of them get pretty disturbing. When I used to go pheasant hunting I had no problem shooting them but I always felt bad when I found one that I shot that was only wounded. Some guys have no problem twisting their neck around but I couldn't ever do it. I could probably shoot a deer but I'd have to use something unreasonable like a .300 Weatherby so I knew it wasn't going to struggle after getting hit.

You should try hunting with a 45lb bow from the ground...

I watched a guy on you tube makee his own bow and arrows and hunt a white tail from the ground. It was pretty epic.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I know a few hunters that I think borderline on doing it out of bloodlust. Not gonna lie, I do laugh at some of the stories they tell but some of them get pretty disturbing. When I used to go pheasant hunting I had no problem shooting them but I always felt bad when I found one that I shot that was only wounded. Some guys have no problem twisting their neck around but I couldn't ever do it. I could probably shoot a deer but I'd have to use something unreasonable like a .300 Weatherby so I knew it wasn't going to struggle after getting hit.

Same...I used to he able to hunt a long walk or bike ride from my house and got rabbits and squirrels and some pheasant...cleaned em and made em up and enjoyed every bite (maybe not the squirrell, those kinda sucked actually), but the last time I did it I remembet well. Clipped a squirrell and he ran away wounded and I never found him. Hung it up afterwards but to each their own. I'm all for it, it's how we were built, just not my thang.

I always root for the Gazelle when its getting chased by a cheetah, but i root for the honey badger even if he's the one starting shit.

Same...I used to he able to hunt a long walk or bike ride from my house and got rabbits and squirrels and some pheasant...cleaned em and made em up and enjoyed every bite (maybe not the squirrell, those kinda sucked actually), but the last time I did it I remembet well. Clipped a squirrell and he ran away wounded and I never found him. Hung it up afterwards but to each their own. I'm all for it, it's how we were built, just not my thang.

My father "hung it up" when I was about 10. He just didn't like to kill.

nope, it doesn't mean I am hypocritical at all. I have no problem killing normal game for food, but why do you need to? There is an entire industry built to service our needs for beef pork and chicken.

Deer is not something that is normally on the worlds menu, so to me, this is a sport.

I used to have this boss that was into big game hunting.. it's the same thing to me.. you guys do it for the thrill of it, not out of hunger.

It's also hard to call it a sport, since it's such a lopsided event. So yeah, I don't understand how someone derives pleasure or feels manly from such a thing that only requires aim and pulling the trigger. I mean they got playstation for that right?

I came here to joke that somebody from this board would find you and start yelling their political views from the bottom of the tree, but I see a debate on the ethics of hunting and whether or not dudes who don't kill stuff can really be called dudes had preceded me.

For the record, the line is putting doe piss on yourself. If you splash piss on you while you try to tell me how manly you are, I 0% believe you aren't secretly hoping for another kind of "big buck" in your life.

In 18 days, good Lord willing, I will be sitting in a tree with my bow, and no phone, waiting on a good buck to walk my way!! And for a while all will be good in this world.
Best of luck this season. I usually don’t go until it’s cooler out but I’m ready for Oct 1. Leave it to my wife to have a baby during the rut.

I came here to joke that somebody from this board would find you and start yelling their political views from the bottom of the tree, but I see a debate on the ethics of hunting and whether or not dudes who don't kill stuff can really be called dudes had preceded me.

For the record, the line is putting doe piss on yourself. If you splash piss on you while you try to tell me how manly you are, I 0% believe you aren't secretly hoping for another kind of "big buck" in your life.
I laugh every time one of my non hunting friends share a meme about putting deer piss on. I’ve never had a conversation with another hunter that included that tactic. Maybe back in the old days but I think the number of people that actually do that is less than 2.

nope, it doesn't mean I am hypocritical at all. I have no problem killing normal game for food, but why do you need to? There is an entire industry built to service our needs for beef pork and chicken.

Deer is not something that is normally on the worlds menu, so to me, this is a sport.

I used to have this boss that was into big game hunting.. it's the same thing to me.. you guys do it for the thrill of it, not out of hunger.

It's also hard to call it a sport, since it's such a lopsided event. So yeah, I don't understand how someone derives pleasure or feels manly from such a thing that only requires aim and pulling the trigger. I mean they got playstation for that right?
Jesus H F**@#ing Key-rist, what a bunch of horse sh!t. Or in this case is it deer sh!t?

Reactions: SWIowahawks

So it’s Only ok to kill an animal for food if it’s done on an assembly line after they spent there entire life in a yard or barn being pumped full of drugs and steroids? I don’t see your logic on this one.

So it’s Only ok to kill an animal for food if it’s done on an assembly line after they spent there entire life in a yard or barn being pumped full of drugs and steroids? I don’t see your logic on this one.
no, that is not the logic..

since deer is not considered a normal food staple, it is assumed you are doing it more for sport. I get many guys have the deer butchered and eat it, so at least it doesn't go to waste.

If you were really doing it for just food, why not go cow hunting?

it would taste better, and you would save a lot on the price of beef at the supermarket.

I know, you're going to say hey that is stupid, what fun is it to shoot a cow? see.. shooting the deer was more about sport after all.

since deer is not considered a normal food staple, it is assumed you are doing it more for sport. I get many guys have the deer butchered and eat it, so at least it doesn't go to waste.

it would taste better, and you would save a lot on the price of beef at the supermarket.

I know, you're going to say hey that is stupid, what fun is it to shoot a cow? see.. shooting the deer was more about sport after all.

Don't you know that wolves will kill an entire flock of sheep just for the sport of it? Or monkeys will kill other monkeys and eat them while not starving. Humans are part of nature as well, we aren't aliens or a bad accident.

Hunters do more for conservation than the average jackass, not to mention that deer is probably better for you to eat than beef raised in a feed lot...it's a better life for the deer for sure. And deer used to be regular food not only for Europeans but Native Americans as well. This man isn't doing anything wrong.

Do you think you've done more for conservation than this guy? And again we are part of life's cycle wether bambi is cute or not.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Don't you know that wolves will kill an entire flock of sheep just for the sport of it? Or monkeys will kill other monkeys and eat them while not starving. Humans are part of nature as well, we aren't aliens or a bad accident.

Hunters do more for conservation than the average jackass, not to mention that deer is probably better for you to eat than beef raised in a feed lot...it's a better life for the deer for sure. And deer used to be regular food not only for Europeans but Native Americans as well. This man isn't doing anything wrong.

Do you think you've done more for conservation than this guy? And again we are part of life's cycle wether bambi is cute or not.
it isn't about whether Bambi is cute or not.. or even about food.. to me, taking a life for sport isn't something I think is right. I would like to think we are better than wolves or monkeys, but maybe we aren't. Clearly some people aren't.

Venison is a main food staple for some people. My family included. I don’t find joy in killing a deer. I more enjoy the time I get to spend with family and being outdoors. The killing part is just a small part of it. And you can’t go cow hunting because it would be a felony as there are no wild cows wondering around.

Reactions: 54T and Blindcheck
it isn't about whether Bambi is cute or not.. or even about food.. to me, taking a life for sport isn't something I think is right. I would like to think we are better than wolves or monkeys, but maybe we aren't. Clearly some people aren't.

Men doing manly things being questioned by a dude who has a guy wearing makeup as his avatar.

Oh yeah factory farming is much more ethical than letting an animal live free in the wild for the entirety of their life. I would love being in a factory 24/7 getting fed shit food my whole (short and miserable) life! Clear hypocrisy. We AREN'T better than monkeys or wolves. Smarter, maybe some of us are. We are animals with big brains and nothing more. It is much more ethical to hunt an animal in their environment than what you think is ethical up on that high horse.

Venison is a main food staple for some people. My family included. I don’t find joy in killing a deer. I more enjoy the time I get to spend with family and being outdoors. The killing part is just a small part of it. And you can’t go cow hunting because it would be a felony as there are no wild cows wondering around.
if Venison was actually a main food staple, you would not see wild deer. They would be captured and grown like the cattle industry is. That is precisely why deer hunting is considered sport.

Oh yeah factory farming is much more ethical than letting an animal live free in the wild for the entirety of their life. I would love being in a factory 24/7 getting fed shit food my whole (short and miserable) life! Clear hypocrisy. We AREN'T better than monkeys or wolves. Smarter, maybe some of us are. We are animals with big brains and nothing more. It is much more ethical to hunt an animal in their environment than what you think is ethical up on that high horse.
cattle roam and graze for the entirety of their life.. that isn't any different.

I'm not on any high horse, I just think killing for sport is wrong, and question why some people get off on it?

I dunno man.. some old men 2500 years ago said killing is wrong.. they even supposedly put it in stone tablets, but I digress.

I always root for the Gazelle when its getting chased by a cheetah, but i root for the honey badger even if he's the one starting shit.
cattle roam and graze for the entirety of their life.. that isn't any different.

I'm not on any high horse, I just think killing for sport is wrong, and question why some people get off on it?

I dunno man.. some old men 2500 years ago said killing is wrong.. they even supposedly put it in stone tablets, but I digress.
dang you can really reach trying to make your point. Tablets?? Really. Did you even read the book? It’s ok if you don’t like hunting, nobody is trying to make you do it. Different strokes for different folks. There have been hunters since time began. Hunting and fishing monies do so much good for wildlife and the future of wildlife. Hunting and fishing is a huge economic benefit to many parts of our great country, and around the globe. Best of all, it is an activity that can include your whole family, along with many great friends. So you enjoy your hobbies and I will enjoy mine.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

When I kill a deer, theres more to it than killing a deer.

You dont understand it, so you assume the worst. I cannot explain it to you. I need to hunt, I was created to hunt.

Also, that deer is a lot cheaper than my half of a beef. Considering I can butcher the deer myself, and also considering that venison when cooked properly is epically delicious, it ends up being a really good deal, and it fills up the freezer pretty well. Venison roast on a cold day.....mmmmmm. And cheap.

And if you think “shootig a cow” would be equal sport to deer hunting....well...I dunno what to tell ya.

God said dont kill animals?

If by killing for sport you mean shooting a deer and leaving it there, I agree with you. Thats wrong, and it should always be punished.

ADVERTISEMENT