So if a player tests positive during the season

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by slwags, Jul 10, 2020.

1. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

When children are infected they still give off viral particles, most likely at a reduced dosage amount if asymptomatic (or mild symptoms). Teachers are probably somewhat safer if masked with N95s and keep distance and with proper air circulation. Parents are at risk since they will be very close to their children and with children leaving their nose picking stuff around the house.

This is transmitted by small micro aerosols indoors definitely without airflow and dilution. Cloth masks work for the larger droplets but not the small aerosols.

jeans15 likes this.
  2. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

No way you can teach with a N95 all day

Antwill and Crazyhole like this.
  3. jeans15

jeans15 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

And the teachers will be in class all day and I doubt they have N95 mask. And what about when kids eat.

4. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Aren't teachers essential workers too? I don't get why other businesses can open up but teachers think they should be exempt from having to teach. Especially when the vast majority of the data says it's an adult disease and the transmission of the disease is very low from school age children.

Based on all the data and experience to date, school ought to be one of the safest environments in society. To say otherwise is to discount the available data.

Again someone show me where the data says children are part of the recent spikes. It's an adult driven spike every where I've seen.

dinglefritz likes this.
  5. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

The teachers union has a ton of leverage right now. Thats a big part of this.

dinglefritz, jeans15 and Bart Man like this.
  6. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

166 children died from influenza this flu season. Think how many spread it to their teachers and parents and grandparents. We better close down all schools to be safe.

46 Harry Caray, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  7. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong. No one has changed their life less due to corona. Your just not going to convince me the protests had anything to do with the rise in cases. They tested in Minneapolis afterward and found really low rates of infection.

8. nu2u

nu2u Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

LOL

9. brnred58

brnred58 Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Dig that bunker deeper,you're a fool if you think the election will somehow change the infection rate .

10. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Massive spikes in Covid cases in people under age 35 in major cities, after massive protests in major cities attended mostly by people under age 35.

Mayors and Governors and Media who encouraged protests: "No correlation!"

You can see the data for yourself. Almost half of recent cases in Minnesota are people in their 20s and 30s: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#case2

50 Harry Caray, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    dinglefritz likes this.
  11. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

The election obviously does not change the virus itself BUT it most certainly does change the opinions and objectives of those people wanting to keep schools closed. People are naive if they don't think election politics are heavily involved in the decision.

Husker Sledge, jeans15 and Bart Man like this.
  12. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Correct. 25% of H1N1 deaths were people under age 25, resulting in far more deaths and hospitalizations in younger people than Covid....yet no schools or businesses were forced to be shut down, and nobody wore a mask. You're kidding if you don't think the media would be covering this differently with a Democrat president in a non-election year.

Just look how positively they cover Governor Cuomo, whose state has had the most deaths by far.

13. Bart Man

Bart Man First Team All-Big Ten
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Duh, that’s because a lot of protesters and their supplies were shipped in and left Minneapolis after the havoc to go destroy another city. Buddy is a cop in Bloomington and there is so much more to this than the press reported.

dinglefritz, scarletred and jeans15 like this.
  14. rcnut223

rcnut223 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

You should go to Minneapolis , I did a couple weeks ago. It is much worse than you saw in the media

Homeless have invaded , tent cities are everywhere . It did not look and I did not feel safe.

Large areas are totally destroyed , block after block is burned and looted and if the building still standing they are boarded up

dinglefritz likes this.
  15. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

How far were you from the campus and around TCF Bank stadium and the Barn?

16. mwulf

mwulf All-American
    Expand Collapse

If Trump getting the boot will change the tide of this virus and its coverage then lets unite as a nation and make it happen!

17. rcnut223

rcnut223 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

We did not drive by the stadium . It is not really very close to the midtown area

We went by the 3rd precinct that was burned and drove the surrounding areas.

scarletred likes this.
  18. scarletred

Expand Collapse

That’s right I forgot the looting was more downtown Minneapolis..

19. ZaneHickey

ZaneHickey Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Really sad you even had to use the phrase "brave enough" when talking about the simple fact that the flu has historically been harder on kids than Covid. Just facts.

Antwill likes this.
  20. RedCap

RedCap Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

That's what it has come to in this politically charged atmosphere. Sad, but yes it takes being "brave" to even state the facts if you're on the wrong side of PC thought. It's hard on us "data driven/fact types who care less about the politics" to even be allowed to talk these days. Free speech certainly is not welcome many places.

By the way if you ever want to test that out, try listing the statistics for violent crimes and who commit them in the poor big city neighborhoods. Not made up stuff, just the actual statistics. I like to do that to follow an 80/20 rule to know where to concentrate your resources and efforts to have the most impact. If you try to do that today, you'll be subjected to being called all kinds of epithets.

ZaneHickey likes this.
  21. ZaneHickey

ZaneHickey Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Really sad. Really true.

dinglefritz likes this.
  22. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

That post has some assumptions, half truths, and broad generalizations.

23. Dean Pope

Dean Pope Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Agreed and free press has been under attack like never before as well. The first amendment was put in place to protect unpopular views, but always with limitations like inciting violence.

24. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

I'm not really sure what I'm arguing about right now. I'm saying the rise in reported cases has nothing to do with the protests and is a result of things normalizing, which was what I was responding too. They tested around 10,000 protestors in MN and had a 1% infection rate. What do the out of state people have to with anything? Your claiming those people were all infected but the MN people weren't?

25. Tuco Salamanca

Tuco Salamanca Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

When did they test the 10k protestors? The day after the protests? Do you have a link to this data? Did they follow up with a list of names of the protesters to see if they came up positive later?

scarletred likes this.
  26. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Example of how the reporting of deaths can cause unnecessary panic.

dinglefritz likes this.
  27. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Weird, this data seems to not follow that line of thinking.

dinglefritz and Antwill like this.
  28. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

They tested them within a week of the protests, Covid has an incubation period of 14-21 days. If you look at the period 14-21 days after the largest protests, cases spiked among people in their 20s and 30s, which happen to be the ages of most of the protestors. So to say there is no correlation between the protests and the increase in Covid cases is pure gaslighting by the government officials that encouraged the protests.

However, if you were correct that the protests did not spread the virus, then what reason would there be to shut down schools and sports? That would seem to indicate that large groups of younger people can gather together with little risk.

29. skull N crossbones

Expand Collapse

Your all arguing with the wrong guy. I'm all for opening up and I'm 100% for having normal k -12 school in the fall along with college and pro football.

Google the mn protest testing, I'm not going to link it. Is all I'm saying is blaming the protests for the rise in cases is wrong, imo. The protests coincided with the reopening of bars, restaurants, hair salons, etc. in MN. It seems like it was the same in the rest of the country. Bars seem to be worse then the protests based on what I've seen in MN, but I live in a rural area with virtually no cases and no social distancing. The way people have quit social distancing is almost shocking.

30. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Actually the incubation period of COVID is generally less than 14 days and some say sometimes as short as 4 days. Testing positive may take as long as 2 weeks post infection.

31. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

32. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Love this dude and Matt Malkus @malkusm in twitter

33. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Some Dr.s I've listened to say there's a much stronger correlation to the protests than bar opening as shown by statistics. When the Wisconsin supreme court slapped down their governor and allowed bars to open, what happened to their case numbers? Virtually nothing. The areas in Houston, LA and Florida where they're having surges in positive cases in young people were also areas which had large protests. Most of the other areas in their states....not so much of an increase in cases. When bars in our area opened up fully 3-4 weeks ago we've not seen any spike in cases.

Almost all of the cases we're getting are from work related exposure (packing plants) and LARGE FAMILY GATHERINGS.

34. Crazyhole

Crazyhole Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

The only factor missing is the heat. As I recall, the protests coincided with a pretty big heatwave in Florida so people were probably spending much more time indoors. The protests probably had an effect on cases, but not a majority effect.

Was there an uptick in Minneapolis at the same time?

35. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Most people I listen to don't believe young children readily transmit the virus.

36. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Among younger people, yes. Over half of all recent cases in Minnesota are people under age 40. The majority of the state's cases are those aged 20-29, which is also the age range of the majority of protestors.
    https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#case2

You will find similar data for almost every other area that had protests. It's mostly people in their 20s and 30s that are testing positive now, whereas it was mostly older people before the protests.

dinglefritz likes this.
  37. cornhustler

cornhustler Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

38. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

and quite honestly, I don’t think there will be any playoffs, National title, bowl games or conferences titles. It might simply be conference battles that really don’t matter in the end other then just keeping the players and coaching staff sharp for the following seasons?

I take that back, there might be conference titles but that’s it. I don’t see any teams being allowed to play outside if it’s own conference this year.

39. scarletred

Expand Collapse

I agree, everyday it looks more bleak that we will only have conference games and no playoffs and bowl games if we have any kind of football season.. Was hoping herd immunity would help the virus to decline and slow down the spread..

huskerssalts likes this.
  40. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I definitely agree and it would be nice. But unfortunately it’s looking like we will only have conference games only, if we have a type of season at all (which in my opinion I think we will, we may only play a few games or all 10...I’m not sure yet).