ADVERTISEMENT

So if a player tests positive during the season

When children are infected they still give off viral particles, most likely at a reduced dosage amount if asymptomatic (or mild symptoms). Teachers are probably somewhat safer if masked with N95s and keep distance and with proper air circulation. Parents are at risk since they will be very close to their children and with children leaving their nose picking stuff around the house.

This is transmitted by small micro aerosols indoors definitely without airflow and dilution. Cloth masks work for the larger droplets but not the small aerosols.

Reactions: jeans15
When children are infected they still give off viral particles, most likely at a reduced dosage amount if asymptomatic (or mild symptoms). Teachers are probably somewhat safer if masked with N95s and keep distance and with proper air circulation. Parents are at risk since they will be very close to their children and with children leaving their nose picking stuff around the house.

This is transmitted by small micro aerosols indoors definitely without airflow and dilution. Cloth masks work for the larger droplets but not the small aerosols.

And the teachers will be in class all day and I doubt they have N95 mask. And what about when kids eat.

Aren't teachers essential workers too? I don't get why other businesses can open up but teachers think they should be exempt from having to teach. Especially when the vast majority of the data says it's an adult disease and the transmission of the disease is very low from school age children.

Based on all the data and experience to date, school ought to be one of the safest environments in society. To say otherwise is to discount the available data.

Again someone show me where the data says children are part of the recent spikes. It's an adult driven spike every where I've seen.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Aren't teachers essential workers too? I don't get why other businesses can open up but teachers think they should be exempt from having to teach. Especially when the vast majority of the data says it's an adult disease and the transmission of the disease is very low from school age children.

Based on all the data and experience to date, school ought to be one of the safest environments in society. To say otherwise is to discount the available data.

Again someone show me where the data says children are part of the recent spikes. It's an adult driven spike every where I've seen.

The teachers union has a ton of leverage right now. Thats a big part of this.

166 children died from influenza this flu season. Think how many spread it to their teachers and parents and grandparents. We better close down all schools to be safe.

Last edited:
Of course you will still have cases when you open things up. That was never the point. When did "15 days to slow the spread" become "we must shut down until there are no new cases"? The death rates have plummeted, because we have figured out that this virus mostly kills really old people in nursing homes and the morbidly obese. 99.9% of other people will recover and most will not even have severe symptoms.

The recent major spikes in cases didn't begin until early June, which was right after all of the Floyd protests. States like Colorado and Georgia opened up in April and had no spikes in cases until the Floyd protests in June. European countries opened bars and schools months ago and have not had spikes in new cases. Most of these countries have not required masks either, except for on public transportation.

The main problem in the U.S. is that we have an unhealthy population - very high rates of obesity, diabetes, and weak immune systems because of terrible eating habits and lack of exercise. U.S. obesity rate is 40%, while Japan's is 3%, and most of Europe is around 20%.
Don't get me wrong. No one has changed their life less due to corona. Your just not going to convince me the protests had anything to do with the rise in cases. They tested in Minneapolis afterward and found really low rates of infection.

Not trying to be a smart azz, but Clemson and Bama and tOSU are already getting a huge number of cases this summer and will be immune later this fall and they’re the favorites too winning the National title..
LOL

Don't get me wrong. No one has changed their life less due to corona. Your just not going to convince me the protests had anything to do with the rise in cases. They tested in Minneapolis afterward and found really low rates of infection.

Massive spikes in Covid cases in people under age 35 in major cities, after massive protests in major cities attended mostly by people under age 35.

Mayors and Governors and Media who encouraged protests: "No correlation!"

You can see the data for yourself. Almost half of recent cases in Minnesota are people in their 20s and 30s: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#case2

Last edited:
Dig that bunker deeper,you're a fool if you think the election will somehow change the infection rate .
The election obviously does not change the virus itself BUT it most certainly does change the opinions and objectives of those people wanting to keep schools closed. People are naive if they don't think election politics are heavily involved in the decision.

The election obviously does not change the virus itself BUT it most certainly does change the opinions and objectives of those people wanting to keep schools closed. People are naive if they don't think election politics are heavily involved in the decision.

Correct. 25% of H1N1 deaths were people under age 25, resulting in far more deaths and hospitalizations in younger people than Covid....yet no schools or businesses were forced to be shut down, and nobody wore a mask. You're kidding if you don't think the media would be covering this differently with a Democrat president in a non-election year.

Just look how positively they cover Governor Cuomo, whose state has had the most deaths by far.

Duh, that’s because a lot of protesters and their supplies were shipped in and left Minneapolis after the havoc to go destroy another city. Buddy is a cop in Bloomington and there is so much more to this than the press reported.

You should go to Minneapolis , I did a couple weeks ago. It is much worse than you saw in the media

Homeless have invaded , tent cities are everywhere . It did not look and I did not feel safe.

Large areas are totally destroyed , block after block is burned and looted and if the building still standing they are boarded up

You should go to Minneapolis , I did a couple weeks ago. It is much worse than you saw in the media

Homeless have invaded , tent cities are everywhere . It did not look and I did not feel safe.

Large areas are totally destroyed , block after block is burned and looted and if the building still standing they are boarded up

How far were you from the campus and around TCF Bank stadium and the Barn?

If Trump getting the boot will change the tide of this virus and its coverage then lets unite as a nation and make it happen!

We did not drive by the stadium . It is not really very close to the midtown area

We went by the 3rd precinct that was burned and drove the surrounding areas.

Reactions: scarletred
We did not drive by the stadium . It is not really very close to the midtown area

We went by the 3rd precinct that was burned and drove the surrounding areas.

That’s right I forgot the looting was more downtown Minneapolis..

Well the "experts" keep changing their opinions so who knows what they will say tomorrow. However last I read, the experts were now saying that children were NOT spreading or carrying the virus to older people.

Agree that the coronavirus cases in the U.S. have spiked to incredibly high numbers BUT I reiterate, just how many of those are children? Is anyone brave enough to admit that it isn't many children in those numbers?

Those are among the reasons I don't think reopening schools is a very difficult decision. Problem right now is that people don't want to separate out and report just the stats for children from the overall population stats. It doesn't serve their political purpose to keep schools closed down.

Couple that with all the damage is being done to children's education and social development by being kept from school. To say nothing about the children from under privileged households not getting served school meals any more. Or forcing the parents to stay home for the children and being unable to work wrecking their family financial situation. Being forced to stay home comes with its own liabilities which the keep the schools closed advocates totally ignore.
Really sad you even had to use the phrase "brave enough" when talking about the simple fact that the flu has historically been harder on kids than Covid. Just facts.

Reactions: Antwill
Really sad you even had to use the phrase "brave enough" when talking about the simple fact that the flu has historically been harder on kids than Covid. Just facts.
That's what it has come to in this politically charged atmosphere. Sad, but yes it takes being "brave" to even state the facts if you're on the wrong side of PC thought. It's hard on us "data driven/fact types who care less about the politics" to even be allowed to talk these days. Free speech certainly is not welcome many places.

By the way if you ever want to test that out, try listing the statistics for violent crimes and who commit them in the poor big city neighborhoods. Not made up stuff, just the actual statistics. I like to do that to follow an 80/20 rule to know where to concentrate your resources and efforts to have the most impact. If you try to do that today, you'll be subjected to being called all kinds of epithets.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
That's what it has come to in this politically charged atmosphere. Sad, but yes it takes being "brave" to even state the facts if you're on the wrong side of PC thought. It's hard on us "data driven/fact types who care less about the politics" to even be allowed to talk these days. Free speech certainly is not welcome many places.
Really sad. Really true.

Of course you will still have cases when you open things up. That was never the point. When did "15 days to slow the spread" become "we must shut down until there are no new cases"? The death rates have plummeted, because we have figured out that this virus mostly kills really old people in nursing homes and the morbidly obese. 99.9% of other people will recover and most will not even have severe symptoms.

The recent major spikes in cases didn't begin until early June, which was right after all of the Floyd protests. States like Colorado and Georgia opened up in April and had no spikes in cases until the Floyd protests in June. European countries opened bars and schools months ago and have not had spikes in new cases. Most of these countries have not required masks either, except for on public transportation.

The main problem in the U.S. is that we have an unhealthy population - very high rates of obesity, diabetes, and weak immune systems because of terrible eating habits and lack of exercise. U.S. obesity rate is 40%, while Japan's is 3%, and most of Europe is around 20%.
That post has some assumptions, half truths, and broad generalizations.

Agreed and free press has been under attack like never before as well. The first amendment was put in place to protect unpopular views, but always with limitations like inciting violence.

Duh, that’s because a lot of protesters and their supplies were shipped in and left Minneapolis after the havoc to go destroy another city. Buddy is a cop in Bloomington and there is so much more to this than the press reported.
I'm not really sure what I'm arguing about right now. I'm saying the rise in reported cases has nothing to do with the protests and is a result of things normalizing, which was what I was responding too. They tested around 10,000 protestors in MN and had a 1% infection rate. What do the out of state people have to with anything? Your claiming those people were all infected but the MN people weren't?

I'm not really sure what I'm arguing about right now. I'm saying the rise in reported cases has nothing to do with the protests and is a result of things normalizing, which was what I was responding too. They tested around 10,000 protestors in MN and had a 1% infection rate. What do the out of state people have to with anything? Your claiming those people were all infected but the MN people weren't?

When did they test the 10k protestors? The day after the protests? Do you have a link to this data? Did they follow up with a list of names of the protesters to see if they came up positive later?

Reactions: scarletred

Weird, this data seems to not follow that line of thinking.

They tested them within a week of the protests, Covid has an incubation period of 14-21 days. If you look at the period 14-21 days after the largest protests, cases spiked among people in their 20s and 30s, which happen to be the ages of most of the protestors. So to say there is no correlation between the protests and the increase in Covid cases is pure gaslighting by the government officials that encouraged the protests.

However, if you were correct that the protests did not spread the virus, then what reason would there be to shut down schools and sports? That would seem to indicate that large groups of younger people can gather together with little risk.

Your all arguing with the wrong guy. I'm all for opening up and I'm 100% for having normal k -12 school in the fall along with college and pro football.

Google the mn protest testing, I'm not going to link it. Is all I'm saying is blaming the protests for the rise in cases is wrong, imo. The protests coincided with the reopening of bars, restaurants, hair salons, etc. in MN. It seems like it was the same in the rest of the country. Bars seem to be worse then the protests based on what I've seen in MN, but I live in a rural area with virtually no cases and no social distancing. The way people have quit social distancing is almost shocking.

They tested them within a week of the protests, Covid has an incubation period of 14-21 days. If you look at the period 14-21 days after the largest protests, cases spiked among people in their 20s and 30s, which happen to be the ages of most of the protestors. So to say there is no correlation between the protests and the increase in Covid cases is pure gaslighting by the government officials that encouraged the protests.

However, if you were correct that the protests did not spread the virus, then what reason would there be to shut down schools and sports? That would seem to indicate that large groups of younger people can gather together with little risk.
Actually the incubation period of COVID is generally less than 14 days and some say sometimes as short as 4 days. Testing positive may take as long as 2 weeks post infection.

Your all arguing with the wrong guy. I'm all for opening up and I'm 100% for having normal k -12 school in the fall along with college and pro football.

Google the mn protest testing, I'm not going to link it. Is all I'm saying is blaming the protests for the rise in cases is wrong, imo. The protests coincided with the reopening of bars, restaurants, hair salons, etc. in MN. It seems like it was the same in the rest of the country. Bars seem to be worse then the protests based on what I've seen in MN, but I live in a rural area with virtually no cases and no social distancing. The way people have quit social distancing is almost shocking.

Some Dr.s I've listened to say there's a much stronger correlation to the protests than bar opening as shown by statistics. When the Wisconsin supreme court slapped down their governor and allowed bars to open, what happened to their case numbers? Virtually nothing. The areas in Houston, LA and Florida where they're having surges in positive cases in young people were also areas which had large protests. Most of the other areas in their states....not so much of an increase in cases. When bars in our area opened up fully 3-4 weeks ago we've not seen any spike in cases.

Almost all of the cases we're getting are from work related exposure (packing plants) and LARGE FAMILY GATHERINGS.

Most people I listen to don't believe young children readily transmit the virus.

Was there an uptick in Minneapolis at the same time?

Among younger people, yes. Over half of all recent cases in Minnesota are people under age 40. The majority of the state's cases are those aged 20-29, which is also the age range of the majority of protestors.
https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html#case2

You will find similar data for almost every other area that had protests. It's mostly people in their 20s and 30s that are testing positive now, whereas it was mostly older people before the protests.

No way you can teach with a N95 all day

real-genius.png

Not trying to be a smart azz, but Clemson and Bama and tOSU are already getting a huge number of cases this summer and will be immune later this fall and they’re the favorites too winning the National title..

and quite honestly, I don’t think there will be any playoffs, National title, bowl games or conferences titles. It might simply be conference battles that really don’t matter in the end other then just keeping the players and coaching staff sharp for the following seasons?

I take that back, there might be conference titles but that’s it. I don’t see any teams being allowed to play outside if it’s own conference this year.

and quite honestly, I don’t think there will be any playoffs, National title, bowl games or conferences titles. It might simply be conference battles that really don’t matter in the end other then just keeping the players and coaching staff sharp for the following seasons?

I take that back, there might be conference titles but that’s it. I don’t see any teams being allowed to play outside if it’s own conference this year.

I agree, everyday it looks more bleak that we will only have conference games and no playoffs and bowl games if we have any kind of football season.. Was hoping herd immunity would help the virus to decline and slow down the spread..

Reactions: huskerssalts
I agree, everyday it looks more bleak that we will only have conference games and no playoffs and bowl games if we have any kind of football season.. Was hoping herd immunity would help the virus to decline and slow down the spread..

I definitely agree and it would be nice. But unfortunately it’s looking like we will only have conference games only, if we have a type of season at all (which in my opinion I think we will, we may only play a few games or all 10...I’m not sure yet).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT