ADVERTISEMENT

So... How many football players/staff died this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did the math, you explain why it doesn't match up to reality.

Here was what I responded to,

“Nearly Day 1 back in March I said it would be .3% to .5% and here we are.

Doesn't take much to crunch numbers and understand.”

He didn’t specify IFR or CFR, I threw some estimates out based on his numbers and population.

I’m not sure what reality you are referring to, but at 6.3 million cases and 189K deaths that is 3%, if we are 10X infections then we are at 63 million infections and 189k deaths or .3% so my numbers, if we got to 40% or 80% are right in line.

At no point did I say I think it would get there, just using those numbers to show what happens if the IFR continues on as is based on our population if we get to certain milestones.

So again, where is the math wrong?

Here was what I responded to,

“Nearly Day 1 back in March I said it would be .3% to .5% and here we are.

Doesn't take much to crunch numbers and understand.”

He didn’t specify IFR or CFR, I threw some estimates out based on his numbers and population.

I’m not sure what reality you are referring to, but at 6.3 million cases and 189K deaths that is 3%, if we are 10X infections then we are at 63 million infections and 189k deaths or .3% so my numbers, if we got to 40% or 80% are right in line.

At no point did I say I think it would get there, just using those numbers to show what happens if the IFR continues on as is based on our population if we get to certain milestones.

So again, where is the math wrong?
The only problem with your math is that herd immunity isn't the same in densely populated areas as it is in lightly populated areas. NYC, for example is an outlier because it is an entirely unique area of the country so it has to be taken out of the equation. Wyoming, Vermont, Alaska, and the Dakotas probably could be as well. Florida is probably a good case study to use because it's kind of in the middle, with both densely and sparcely populated areas. For that state, herd immunity began to kick in at around 20-25% infection rate.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I can't tell if people don't understand, or don't want to understand, the difference between personal health and population health. Young, healthy, generally unaffected COVID-19 carriers may not be a danger to themselves, but they are a danger to others, particularly the elderly and infirm.

I find it ironic that the same people arguing to let COVID-19 run its course are the ones that were most horrified by the mythical "death camps" that universal health care plans were supposedly going to inflict upon terminally ill patients.

I can't tell if people don't understand, or don't want to understand, the difference between personal health and population health. Young, healthy, generally unaffected COVID-19 carriers may not be a danger to themselves, but they are a danger to others, particularly the elderly and infirm.

I find it ironic that the same people arguing to let COVID-19 run its course are the ones that were most horrified by the mythical "death camps" that universal health care plans were supposedly going to inflict upon terminally ill patients.

You'll never have the moral high ground on anything. Big government proponents murdered over 100 million people in the 20th century. Small government proponents murdered less than 1% of that number in the same time frame.

You're hitting the divide squarely on the head. The segment of society who agree with Cuomo that it is worth it to destroy millions of lives and decades of economic growth "if it saves one life". The irony is Cuomo hasn't saved any lives. If anything he has the blood of many people on his hands from the nursing-home scandal.

Ask our leftist friends this question,

Did George Floyd die from:
1) A knee on his neck
2) Being a drug addict
3) Covid-19

We all know the classification of his death will always be related to which political narrative gives the left the most amount of power. Our society can't survive with an ethic like that.
Cuomo's state and the neighboring states that followed his lead had death's per million from COVID that were roughly TWICE the rate of the worst affected countries in the world. Those governors' orders forcing nursing homes to admit COVID infected patients caused the death of thousands of patients and likely dozens if not hundreds of medical staff. CNN hasn't reported ONCE on that fact. Not once.

How can ANYONE defend the "job" he did responding to COVID? He should be prosecuted for deliberately causing the death of thousands of people.

The elderly and infirm need to stay home and take care of themselves. IF they have to go out, EVERY store in my community makes arrangements to keep them from having to get out of their car. The ironic thing is that I see lots of elderly still working at WalMart or Menards. I've asked a couple of them about it and they say "I would rather die of COVID than be isolated from people. " Several said they do it for the social contact and don't need the money. I asked one old lady that I know is pushing 80 if any employees at Menard's had gotten sick from COVID yet. She said no. Hundreds of employees and they've never shut down. Nobody has gotten ill from COVID yet and they come in contact with thousands of people every day.

My Lord. These death numbers are just unbearable. If only everyone would just stay home. And wear masks.

After seeing the score of the Iowa State game I assume the entire team must have died? Tragic.

Cool story bro. So we can do the same thing we do for every other virus. #Nothing.

My Lord. These death numbers are just unbearable. If only everyone would just stay home. And wear masks.

After seeing the score of the Iowa State game I assume the entire team must have died? Tragic.
New York stayed home and wore masks. They still had more fatalities per million of population than countries in South America who have done nothing.

Well, you guys wanted to play football and this is what you get. Yet another week of ZERO deaths. How can you go on like this? Don't you care about the children? No! You just want to kill grandma. But as long as you get your football it's ok. Can't believe the selfishness. That's ZERO families that don't have a loved one. ZERO!!! You should be ashamed.

Well, you guys wanted to play football and this is what you get. Yet another week of ZERO deaths. How can you go on like this? Don't you care about the children? No! You just want to kill grandma. But as long as you get your football it's ok. Can't believe the selfishness. That's ZERO families that don't have a loved one. ZERO!!! You should be ashamed.
Your lack of empathy for anyone who isn't the president is appalling. What happens if/when someone does get sick and die from one of these games? What if people close to players gets sick and dies? I want football as much as the next guy, but good lord are you really this big of a prick away from the keyboard?

Your lack of empathy for anyone who isn't the president is appalling. What happens if/when someone does get sick and die from one of these games? What if people close to players gets sick and dies? I want football as much as the next guy, but good lord are you really this big of a prick away from the keyboard?
Empathy for what? The premise you suggest isn't empathy, its irrational fear. 99.98% survival rate should have exactly zero impact on the daily lives of anyone in this world.

Empathy for what? The premise you suggest isn't empathy, its irrational fear. 99.98% survival rate should have exactly zero impact on the daily lives of anyone in this world.
210,000 dead is irrational fear? What's rational in your mind? Four dead in Benghazi? I bet that got you nice and riled. You know what's irrational fear? Terrorists crossing the southern border. We police the souther border to make scared white people feel better. Never mind that all the terrorists who have ever crossed the border did so through Canada. You know what's irrational? Fear of BLM. How many have they killed? If it were 100,000 it would still be fewer than covid. If you get covid will you die? Depends completely on who you are, but aren't we a nation that protects even the most vulnerable? What's your suggestion to the vulnerable? Stay at home and shut up so that you aren't bothered? I'll bet you were screaming at the top of your lungs at Obama over his handling the swine flu. Now Trump tells you to kneel, and you just obey. Astonishing. How complacent, worse, it's pathetic. I calm my mind knowing that while people like you will always exist, a generation from now you will be a miserable footnote in history. Bank on it!

Give me a minute while recover from your finger waving and silly straw man arguments. Not sure if I'll be able to recover today. Keep me in your prayers.

Reactions: bshirt73 and nicked
210,000 dead is irrational fear? What's rational in your mind? Four dead in Benghazi? I bet that got you nice and riled. You know what's irrational fear? Terrorists crossing the southern border. We police the souther border to make scared white people feel better. Never mind that all the terrorists who have ever crossed the border did so through Canada. You know what's irrational? Fear of BLM. How many have they killed? If it were 100,000 it would still be fewer than covid. If you get covid will you die? Depends completely on who you are, but aren't we a nation that protects even the most vulnerable? What's your suggestion to the vulnerable? Stay at home and shut up so that you aren't bothered? I'll bet you were screaming at the top of your lungs at Obama over his handling the swine flu. Now Trump tells you to kneel, and you just obey. Astonishing. How complacent, worse, it's pathetic. I calm my mind knowing that while people like you will always exist, a generation from now you will be a miserable footnote in history. Bank on it!
Project and redirect. The hallmark of a loser with a losing argument. Is that you Nebraska Reality?

Project and redirect. The hallmark of a loser with a losing argument. Is that you Nebraska Reality?
It's almost as if you were a functioning adult, then your short fingers type out drivel, hyperbole and right wing propaganda. You are consistently found lacking, but I suspect you are used to that by now.

It's almost as if you were a functioning adult, then your short fingers type out drivel, hyperbole and right wing propaganda. You are consistently found lacking, but I suspect you are used to that by now.
The fact remains. Zero football players and coaches dead. I know how much it irks you that you can't sit here and say "told you so" but on the bright side you don't even need to take off your socks and shoes to count that high. Zero.

The fact remains. Zero football players and coaches dead. I know how much it irks you that you can't sit here and say "told you so" but on the bright side you don't even need to take off your socks and shoes to count that high. Zero.
Isn't that exactly what you're doing here? I take no pleasure in the pain of others. I don't want players or coaches to die just to prove a point. Unlike you, I'm not a sociopath.

Last edited:
Lol, wut? That was an awful lot of energy to expend on someone saying that a virus has a 99.98% survival rate. You basically proved my point.

Well I suppose that if that becomes a reality, when the country sets upon its demise it will be under the lefts iron control then won't it?

Reactions: GBRforLife1

What's completely amazing, infuriating, and nauseating all at the same time is that people who think the continued lockdowns and mandates are saving lives are fixated only on lives saved from Covid and almost totally ignoring the lives that are being lost due to the lockdowns. It is even debatable whether or not lives will be saved from Covid by the lockdowns. When this all a started and was about 15 days to "flatten the curve," the experts were saying that we would likely have a similar number of overall deaths over time with or without the lockdown, but we just needed to prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, they moved the goalposts saying they needed to prevent as many Covid deaths as possible. Now it's about cases.

All the while people's lives are being destroyed by the continued lockdowns and mandates. Businesses are closing for good all over. Mental health issues are way up, especially among the young who are not harmed by this virus. Suicides are off the charts. People in rest homes are dying right and left not from Covid, but from failure to thrive because they can't see their loved ones. Kids are being subject to more abuse because they are not at school and their parents are often under tremendous stress from lost jobs, etc.

Just once I'd like to hear one of these politicians or people who support this continued overreaction actually address the collateral damage of all this. A rep from our local health department admitted that they are not taking any of the mental health issues that are being caused into account as they continue to issue their quarantines and mandates.

You are right that people of this time will be judged by history. But time will show that this was the largest overreaction and self-inflicted wound in the history of the world. It will also show the number of lives lost due to the lockdowns dwarfed the number of lives lost to the virus.

/rant

What's completely amazing, infuriating, and nauseating all at the same time is that people who think the continued lockdowns and mandates are saving lives are fixated only on lives saved from Covid and almost totally ignoring the lives that are being lost due to the lockdowns. It is even debatable whether or not lives will be saved from Covid by the lockdowns. When this all a started and was about 15 days to "flatten the curve," the experts were saying that we would likely have a similar number of overall deaths over time with or without the lockdown, but we just needed to prevent the health care system from being overwhelmed. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, they moved the goalposts saying they needed to prevent as many Covid deaths as possible. Now it's about cases.

All the while people's lives are being destroyed by the continued lockdowns and mandates. Businesses are closing for good all over. Mental health issues are way up, especially among the young who are not harmed by this virus. Suicides are off the charts. People in rest homes are dying right and left not from Covid, but from failure to thrive because they can't see their loved ones. Kids are being subject to more abuse because they are not at school and their parents are often under tremendous stress from lost jobs, etc.

Just once I'd like to hear one of these politicians or people who support this continued overreaction actually address the collateral damage of all this. A rep from our local health department admitted that they are not taking any of the mental health issues that are being caused into account as they continue to issue their quarantines and mandates.

You are right that people of this time will be judged by history. But time will show that this was the largest overreaction and self-inflicted wound in the history of the world. It will also show the number of lives lost due to the lockdowns dwarfed the number of lives lost to the virus.

/rant
That you think 210,000 is an overreaction is a sad statement on where we are as a country. The far right has completely lost it's moral compass.

That you think 210,000 is an overreaction is a sad statement on where we are as a country. The far right has completely lost it's moral compass.

You obviously didn't comprehend my post, and if you think people on the right are the problem in this country, I'd call your attention to all the riots that took place over the summer and are still happening. It's not Republicans out there burning down businesses.

Last edited:
You obviously didn't comprehend my post and if you think people on the right are the problem in this country, I'd call your attention to all the riots that took place over the summer and are still happening. It's not Republicans out their burning down businesses.
Riots occur when there is a break in the social contract. Protests occur when there is a break in the social contract. It happens all over the world, all of the time when systemic injustices pervade government institutions. You can latch on to whatever argument makes you feel better about denouncing the opposition as a bunch of marxist thugs, but the left in this country and most of the world see what is happening here as no different than the protests in Hong Kong. These protests will change our country, whether you like it or not, just as the civil rights movement changed American society a half century ago. I have no doubt the most vocal conservatives on this board would have called MLK Jr. a thug.

/rant
NYC is shutting down again this week. The most prosperous city in the world is going to become a shell of its former self.

but the left in this country and most of the world see what is happening here as no different than the protests in Hong Kong.

The protests in Hong Kong are against the Communist Chinese government while the riots in the US are being led by BLM whose leaders are avowed Marxists and Communists.

Do you see the contradiction in your comparison of the two?

You're delusional.

Really? How many nations in the history of the world last forever in their height of influence and power?

I agree with you that this country is going left. Very left.

It stands to reason then, and not delusion, that if indeed this nation, at a forgone conclusion, goes left and the eventual fall is horizon ahead, then congratulations on the win?

I think you forget that this country is not a people group like the Russians where they can just change from a monarchy to a Communist government and still yet remain Russian. If you change America to modes of operation that the founders didn't envision you destroy the USA and you have something else. You can call it USA, but that is just superficial. You don't get to have abortion and also claim that inalienable rights given to mankind from their CREATOR include um, I don't know....LIFE....for instance.

You lefties are the death of reason and enlightenment. So far from the scientific platform from which you jumped firmly planting your feet into the air of emotions and feelings, wether they are valid or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT