ADVERTISEMENT

So how bad is Frost?

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
The fact is we have gotten worse in each of Frost’s three years. In year one we heard that Riley left things a mess and there were “bad apples.” And yet year one was Frost’s best year here. It seems the further we get from Riley under Frost, the worse we get. So maybe Frost has exaggerated the problems he inherited in order to deflect from the problems he has created.

The fact is we have gotten worse in each of Frost’s three years. In year one we heard that Riley left things a mess and there were “bad apples.” And yet year one was Frost’s best year here. It seems the further we get from Riley under Frost, the worse we get. So maybe Frost has exaggerated the problems he inherited in order to deflect from the problems he has created.
Well its hard to argue that culture has changed for the better based on the results. We definitely look more like a football team than we did in 2017 but the eyeball test only matters in pictures and weightlifting videos.

With all of Scott's (Blue Chip) recruits?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Tough to say. He’s worked with the best in the game and he has always won. This is a rebuild job and he’s in over his head. You’re only as good as your weakest link and we have many on this staff. We need to get some new guys in and pay them top dollars if we want to flip this thing around.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who could do it for a million $/year. I get the sense with Frost, this is a "gimmick" offence.

Tough to say. He’s worked with the best in the game and he has always won. This is a rebuild job and he’s in over his head. You’re only as good as your weakest link and we have many on this staff. We need to get some new guys in and pay them top dollars if we want to flip this thing around.
We already are paying those weak link's top dollar.

so is frost being to much of a friend to the players and when he ask them to do something they go through the motions because they don’t respect him?

Personal opinion here: Frost's biggest enemy is.....Frost.

You ever watch Kitchen Nightmares? You know when Gordon Ramsay goes to some steakhouse that is trying to mess around with a billion sauces and fancy dishes? That's Nebraska. We have no identity because we are trying to be overly complicated and cute.

Frost will never admin that his system is the problem. But it is the absolute source of the issues. If the team has no identity, then there is no one who can grab the rope and help pull.

The best thing Frost could do is play to the strengths of his players instead of jamming a square peg through a round hole. Cut 75% out of the playbook and get solid with the remaining 25%, then build it back up slowly.

idk...maybe I'm wrong but I keep hearing this and that get blamed, or the past, or culture....every single damn thing but the core system itself and we keep getting worse. It has to be the system.

I feel bad for the players because they fought hard today. Wandale is a man.
DL, JoJo, Reimer, Honas played solid. We didn’t get physically manhandled like before. Still too many receivers given too much space. We were lucky to have Iowa miss some throws/catches.

Iowa has a tough defense, but our offense didn’t put enough pressure on them. We showed we were capable of moving the ball, but we’re not prepared enough to do it consistently. Frost doesn’t seem to know how he wants to use the personnel he has. QB inability to throw downfield is still a liability.

Players playing hard isn’t enough. Coaches need to have their team prepared, focused and ready to execute. Coaches are failing.

At least 50-75 other coaching staffs do more with these players. It starts and ends with coaching. And we’ve already seen where we’re at in year 3.

I thought that compared to the other assistants in the B10 they are in the bottom half of salary. Could be wrong.
All information comes courtesy of Husker Online and the USA Today salary database.

Coach2019 Salary2020 SalaryChange
Scott Frost (HC)$5 million$5 millionNone
Erik Chinander (DC/LBs)$800,000$800,000None
Matt Lubick (OC/WRs)$700,000*$500,000-$200,000 (-29%)
Greg Austin (OL/RGC)$500,000$500,000None
Travis Fisher (DBs)$325,000$450,000$125,000 (39%)
Sean Beckton (TEs)$400,000$400,000None
Ryan Held (RBs/RC)$300,000$400,000$100,000 (33%)
Mario Verduzco (QBs)$375,000$375,000None
Tony Tuioti (DL)$375,000$375,000None
Mike Dawson (OLBs)$475,000*$325,000-$150,000 (-32%)
Barrett Ruud (ILBs)$225,000$225,000None
Total$9.475 million$9.35 million-$125,000 (-1%)

Abysmal ROI, on par with Beanie Baby investments.

All information comes courtesy of Husker Online and the USA Today salary database.

Coach2019 Salary2020 SalaryChange
Scott Frost (HC)$5 million$5 millionNone
Erik Chinander (DC/LBs)$800,000$800,000None
Matt Lubick (OC/WRs)$700,000*$500,000-$200,000 (-29%)
Greg Austin (OL/RGC)$500,000$500,000None
Travis Fisher (DBs)$325,000$450,000$125,000 (39%)
Sean Beckton (TEs)$400,000$400,000None
Ryan Held (RBs/RC)$300,000$400,000$100,000 (33%)
Mario Verduzco (QBs)$375,000$375,000None
Tony Tuioti (DL)$375,000$375,000None
Mike Dawson (OLBs)$475,000*$325,000-$150,000 (-32%)
Barrett Ruud (ILBs)$225,000$225,000None
Total$9.475 million$9.35 million-$125,000 (-1%)

Abysmal ROI, on par with Beanie Baby investments.

Didn’t realize Chins and Lubick make that much. Damn, I chose the wrong career.

Reactions: JoelBittner
Well. The 2nd worse winning percentage for Nebraska coaches (minimum 3 years), since 1890.

Personal opinion here: Frost's biggest enemy is.....Frost.

You ever watch Kitchen Nightmares? You know when Gordon Ramsay goes to some steakhouse that is trying to mess around with a billion sauces and fancy dishes? That's Nebraska. We have no identity because we are trying to be overly complicated and cute.

Frost will never admin that his system is the problem. But it is the absolute source of the issues. If the team has no identity, then there is no one who can grab the rope and help pull.

The best thing Frost could do is play to the strengths of his players instead of jamming a square peg through a round hole. Cut 75% out of the playbook and get solid with the remaining 25%, then build it back up slowly.

idk...maybe I'm wrong but I keep hearing this and that get blamed, or the past, or culture....every single damn thing but the core system itself and we keep getting worse. It has to be the system.
Great post and analogy. Its kind of counter-intuitive, but it seems like Frosts approach is almost too "team based". He rotates players like its a frigging clown car half the time and nobody can get into a rhythm. At some point he's going to have to identify the guys that can win and give them the opportunity to impose their will on an opponent. Sorry, but having 5 running backs that account for a total of 1000 yards is nowhere near as good as having 1 that goes for 900. Pick a guy, tell him "its on you", and go with it.

I'm sure the 2021 recruiting class full of three-star players is really going to close the talent gap. Ohio State must be freaking out right now.

Worse than Riley... That's how bad.

We already are paying those weak link's top dollar.
Nah we pay pretty average salaries. Since Frost obviously can't identify and pick up good assistants from some backwoods university like Saban can, we need to start paying top dollar and bringing in great assistants.

Reactions: Chuck003
Nah we pay pretty average salaries. Since Frost obviously can't identify and pick up good assistants from some backwoods university like Saban can, we need to start paying top dollar and bringing in great assistants.
Unfortunately Frost never gave us a chance to do that when he was hired. Florida never gave Frost a chance to do that when they supposedly offered him and he wasn't hired. Who's the smart school here?

Reactions: oldjar07
Unfortunately Frost never gave us a chance to do that when he was hired. Florida never gave Frost a chance to do that when they supposedly offered him and he wasn't hired. Who's the smart school here?
Yep couldn't agree more.

Reactions: Chuck003
Frost is the problem. Why is Cam playing? You can’t give up several lost plays a game. Today the problem was clapping, next game aliens. When is the coach going to take responsibility for what is happening on the field?
Agree with frost needing to take responsibility. The clapping take from him seems like another whiny take. It would be one thing if this were the first time Cam had bad snaps but now he seems to be making excuses for the players to not offend them or something. Hope he isn’t over his head but I worry he is another former player not cut out to be the head man

Reactions: solarpanels
I feel bad for the players because they fought hard today. Wandale is a man.
DL, JoJo, Reimer, Honas played solid. We didn’t get physically manhandled like before. Still too many receivers given too much space. We were lucky to have Iowa miss some throws/catches.

Iowa has a tough defense, but our offense didn’t put enough pressure on them. We showed we were capable of moving the ball, but we’re not prepared enough to do it consistently. Frost doesn’t seem to know how he wants to use the personnel he has. QB inability to throw downfield is still a liability.

Players playing hard isn’t enough. Coaches need to have their team prepared, focused and ready to execute. Coaches are failing.

At least 50-75 other coaching staffs do more with these players. It starts and ends with coaching. And we’ve already seen where we’re at in year 3.
The staff has sucked a lot of times the last three years, but today wasn’t one of them. We were ready to play and had a solid plan on both sides. A huge miscue by CTB, cost us big time and so did a whiffed block by Farniok, but today (for once) wasn’t about being out coached.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Imo frost has surrounded himself with mediocre assistants there not making him any better

The staff has sucked a lot of times the last three years, but today wasn’t one of them. We were ready to play and had a solid plan on both sides. A huge miscue by CTB, cost us big time and so did a whiffed block by Farniok, but today (for once) wasn’t about being out coached.
I’m usually one to defend coaches who aren’t on the field executing, and agree with the concept about today not necessarily being on coaches.
But the constant pattern of miscues over 3 years to me points to a coach not prepping his team. The lack of ability to make reads and throw deep, the constant snapping woes, the inability to field a punt or make routine blocks, guys running out of bounds too easy (AM, Brown, Warner) and the amount of space given to open receivers, not recognizing TE’s breaking open from the line, getting beat in special teams every week, etc.

If our “best” is keeping it close against Iowa, then I’m not convinced most other coaches couldn’t accomplish the same or better with the level of recruited roster talent we have.

I don’t want to overreact about today where a few plays could’ve changed the outcome, but I’m still looking at the total package asking what $5 million is accomplishing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT