ADVERTISEMENT

So here is what I saw live

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
1) Lights were VERY dim in the stadium. Outfield got terrible reads/jumps on balls due to very poor lighting. Saw Reveles with his family at the Hard Rock Cafe after the game and said hi to him and asked if HE thought the lights were poor. He said yes, that they were very dim and hard to quickly pick up fly balls.

2) Didn't like bunting Bolt with two on, nobody out in the top of the first ... new pitcher in the game. I understand you want to get the early lead but it felt like a big first inning was there to be had and we give up an out with our best hitter.

3) Revels a little shaky with his throws again but not totally horrible ... Good thing Schreiber is TALL at first!

4) Top of 2 Darby got robbed on liner down third ticketed for RF corner and likely a run.
Top of 3 third baseman robs us again on a tough grounder in the hole ... That third baseman for UNLV one of the best infielders I have seen in awhile.

5) Sinclair with a very nice come back after two on no outs in 4th. Gets ahead of most batters and looks very mature/comfortable on the mound. Reeks of confidence.

6) Bolt looks very confident at the plate. This man is going to have a superior year.

7) Bottom of six Blake should have made play on grounder down the line ... Went right under his glove ... No way that was a hit ... Official score keeper very generous with giving the UNLV guy a hit ... should have been E5 IMHO error all the way.

8) I like the base running. Kirby likes the hit and run and called a steal with Reveles to second with runners on first and third. It's what I was looking to see if we would be a little more daring on the base paths this year and I believe the early answer is a resounding yes!

9) Jake H was electric in the 7th and 8th! He was fist pumping coming off the mound each inning and really into it. I didn't really want to see JR in the ninth when Jake was as dialed in and in command, but hey that's me. Others love to always get the "closer" regardless of how well the set up guy is doing.

10) Love what I am seeing already from our new coach Mike Kirby. We were struggling a bit offensively in the late innings and to disrupt the pitchers rhythm he calls a time out and calls Schleppenbach over to talk about the at bat. Didn't work this time but the dude is constantly thinking/coaching and real dialed in. Not that Will B was not in it, but his guy knows the ropes and I love he prowled our third base coaches box. Seriously Kirby has very good baseball savvy.

Long winded ramble just back from the Hard Rock .... Sorry if I went too long. Can't wait to see if the offense gets a little more going tomorrow. GBR.

Originally posted by TheHuskeRed:

2) Didn't like bunting Bolt with two on, nobody out in the top of the first ... new pitcher in the game. I understand you want to get the early lead but it felt like a big first inning was there to be had and we give up an out with our best hitter.
Really love DE but I think he gives away too many outs with these sacrifices. He played for 1 run and he got 1 run. Would love to see Boldt swing away there see if we can't put up a big number.

Originally posted by HuskerJag:

Really love DE but I think he gives away too many outs with these sacrifices. He played for 1 run and he got 1 run. Would love to see Boldt swing away there see if we can't put up a big number.
Very disappointed to see Boldt bunting in that spot. Eight and a half innings later I looked back at that and wondered if DE 'n Crew might have known that runs would be at a premium in this game.

One thing I did know is that LV's closer will kill you 9 times out of 10. Maybe 9.5/10. We don't want to see that guy the entire weekend.

Great, great opening game. No errors recorded for either team. Like pitching? How about this...

Zero runs
NO WALKS!
NO HIT BY PITCH!
NO WILD PITCH!
14 STRIKEOUTS!!! (

Very nice recap, appreciate you taking the time to share them. Hopefully you can do the same after the next couple games.

1) Lights were VERY dim in the stadium. Outfield got terrible reads/jumps on balls due to very poor lighting. Saw Reveles with his family at the Hard Rock Cafe after the game and said hi to him and asked if HE thought the lights were poor. He said yes, that they were very dim and hard to quickly pick up fly balls.

3) Revels a little shaky with his throws again but not totally horrible ... Good thing Schreiber is TALL at first!

4) Top of 2 Darby got robbed on liner down third ticketed for RF corner and likely a run.
Top of 3 third baseman robs us again on a tough grounder in the hole ... That third baseman for UNLV one of the best infielders I have seen in awhile.

5) Sinclair with a very nice come back after two on no outs in 4th. Gets ahead of most batters and looks very mature/comfortable on the mound. Reeks of confidence.

6) Bolt looks very confident at the plate. This man is going to have a superior year.

7) Bottom of six Blake should have made play on grounder down the line ... Went right under his glove ... No way that was a hit ... Official score keeper very generous with giving the UNLV guy a hit ... should have been E5 IMHO error all the way.

8) I like the base running. Kirby likes the hit and run and called a steal with Reveles to second with runners on first and third. It's what I was looking to see if we would be a little more daring on the base paths this year and I believe the early answer is a resounding yes!

9) Jake H was electric in the 7th and 8th! He was fist pumping coming off the mound each inning and really into it. I didn't really want to see JR in the ninth when Jake was as dialed in and in command, but hey that's me. Others love to always get the "closer" regardless of how well the set up guy is doing.

10) Love what I am seeing already from our new coach Mike Kirby. We were struggling a bit offensively in the late innings and to disrupt the pitchers rhythm he calls a time out and calls Schleppenbach over to talk about the at bat. Didn't work this time but the dude is constantly thinking/coaching and real dialed in. Not that Will B was not in it, but his guy knows the ropes and I love he prowled our third base coaches box. Seriously Kirby has very good baseball savvy.

Long winded ramble just back from the Hard Rock .... Sorry if I went too long. Can't wait to see if the offense gets a little more going tomorrow. GBR.
Great insight, I noticed some hesitation with flyouts as well when I was watching on the webcast. It will be nice that the next 2 games are during the day. Winning 2/3 to start the season would be a great start!

Originally posted by HuskerJag:

On the flip side it could just be DE sending a message to Bolt early on in the season with him in the three hole as a Soph that hey I know you have skills but I don't need you to be a traditional 3 hole guy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT