ADVERTISEMENT

So few commits??

In the last 16 days we’ve picked up 5 quality recruits.

Not necessarily trying to dredge up an old thread, but many of those who were complaining about the lack of recruits have been silent since the pickup of these 5 recruits.

Why the silence?

EDIT: some of you who have expressed concern in this thread and have not remained silent, this is not directed at you. I appreciate the input that you shared in the threads announcing these commits.

Last edited:
In the last 16 days we’ve picked up 5 quality recruits.

Not necessarily trying to dredge up an old thread, but many of those who were complaining about the lack of recruits have been silent since the pickup of these 5 recruits.

Why the silence?

I would guess because the number of commitments has doubled in the past 15 days???

Reactions: artguy68
I would guess because the number of commitments has doubled in the past 15 days???
I suppose… I guess my thought process is if I were one who is expressing concern about the lack of recruits, seeing this recent influx would cause me to come back and change my tune. But that’s just me.

I suppose… I guess my thought process is if I were one who is expressing concern about the lack of recruits, seeing this recent influx would cause me to come back and change my tune. But that’s just me.

So we are now 45th overall and 22nd in Ave star rating. I am a fan of the additional commitments but we are still at #71 in total commitments.

So we are now 45th overall and 22nd in Ave star rating. I am a fan of the additional commitments but we are still at #71 in total commitments.
The problem, I thought, was the lack of commits. Now that we have picked up 5 commits in just over 2 weeks, the concern has changed to quality of commits?

I thought these commits were supposed to ease our concerns, not make them worse... Generally, people are pretty excited about these commits. Should we be even more concerned now?

Just trying to understand where I should place my emotions...

The problem, I thought, was the lack of commits. Now that we have picked up 5 commits in just over 2 weeks, the concern has changed to quality of commits?

I thought these commits were supposed to ease our concerns, not make them worse... Generally, people are pretty excited about these commits. Should we be even more concerned now?

You must be confusing me with somebody else. I have always been a champion for quality recruits. We need top 15 classes in order to compete for national titles.

did I misunderstand this? who cares about total commitments in July when we're pulling in the 22nd most quality on avg?

bunch of zero stars going to fill out the rest of the class or something?

did I misunderstand this? who cares about total commitments in July when we're pulling in the 22nd most quality on avg?

bunch of zero stars going to fill out the rest of the class or something?

Yes I said I’m a fan of the recent commitments. Tim wanted to know why those who think that we don’t have very many commitments haven’t been on here apologizing for that. We are still 71st in total commitments.

22nd doesn’t get it done. I guess it’s more of a prove it to me thing, Until a team shows that it can win 13 regular season games and then win 2 more games against two at the top four teams in the country in back to back weeks with a bunch of recruits Ranked in the 20s, I’m going to stick with you need top 15 or higher classes.

You must be confusing me with somebody else. I have always been a champion for quality recruits. We need top 15 classes in order to compete for national titles.
These posts today were never directed at you.

I was addressing those who were concerned that we had only 3 recruits.

All 3 were 4 star, but we lacked the numbers, which was why this thread began. If you want to complain about quality, that’s up to you to start a new thread. This thread was more about quantity from the get go.

@Tuco Salamanca, I thought these recruits were generally well received by most on here. I didn’t know you were dissatisfied with Gunnerson, Hutmacher, Conn, and the rest of them.

Edit: I see your response that you are satisfied, so my question is answered. Sorry about that. But the fact remains, people were complaining about our numbers. They are steadily increasing. Not enough for a full class yet, obviously, but I would assume fans feel better now about our recruiting than they did 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
One thing’s for sure, and you all know this, Nebraska simply cannot suffer the attrition in the next few years like what we saw with Pelini and Riley.

Hopefully players will stay around and develop depth, and injuries will be a bit less as well. And of course, quantity of quality is always welcome.

These posts today were never directed at you.

I was addressing those who were concerned that we had only 3 recruits.

All 3 were 4 star, but we lacked the numbers, which was why this thread began. If you want to complain about quality, that’s up to you to start a new thread. This thread was more about quantity from the get go.

You asked why people weren’t on here changing their tune. I said maybe it’s because we doubled the number of commited kids for people not replying and then I provided the post saying, that even with the influx of the new commits, we are still in 70’s in total commitments, so maybe those posters don’t think we’ve made as much progress as other posters do.

Just two answers, from opposite sides, to attempt to answer your question.

Here’s the bottom line for me. 2 weeks ago, fans were wringing their hands about the state of recruiting. Last year we were top 20 in recruiting. 2 years ago in a few months we reeled in some big name recruits to finish in the 20s. Why not give the benefit of the doubt to the coaches on whether they will get it done or not? Why start threads like this?

I just don’t get it. But I am an optimist, not everyone thinks like me.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
You asked why people weren’t on here changing their tune. I said maybe it’s because we doubled the number of commited kids for people not replying and then I provided the post saying, that even with the influx of the new commits, we are still in 70’s in total commitments, so maybe those posters don’t think we’ve made as much progress as other posters do.

Just two answers, from opposite sides, to attempt to answer your question.
Thanks Tuco, I hear you. I’ve always respected and appreciated your posts.

I just struggle with new threads every 6 weeks or so complaining about recruiting. I half expect to see on here in the next 3 weeks, if we don’t have any more commits, yet another thread questioning the coaches’ recruiting abilities.

It just gets old for me, and I’m letting my frustration show.

Thanks Tuco, I hear you. I’ve always respected and appreciated your posts.

I just struggle with new threads every 6 weeks or so complaining about recruiting. I half expect to see on here in the next 3 weeks, if we don’t have any more commits, yet another thread questioning the coaches’ recruiting abilities.

It just gets old for me, and I’m letting my frustration show.

It's all good. The respect is mutual

Reactions: timnsun
22nd doesn’t get it done. I guess it’s more of a prove it to me thing, Until a team shows that it can win 13 regular season games and then win 2 more games against two at the top four teams in the country in back to back weeks with a bunch of recruits Ranked in the 20s, I’m going to stick with you need top 15 or higher classes.

I think you're right in your overall expectation, but don't you think expecting a team coming off back to back 4-8 seasons to land top 15 recruiting classes is a little unrealistic? We rode the Frost wave a little bit last year, but until we actually win, it's going to be hard to convince kids to take a gamble on NU.

Ultimately, you're 100% correct, we need top 15 classes. But getting some top 25 classes can probably start producing some 10 win seasons that can then be used to build top 15 classes. Dabo didn't build Clemson overnight, and they have a much bigger recruiting advantage than Nebraska . This has always going to bend a longer rebuild than anyone wants.

I think you're right in your overall expectation, but don't you think expecting a team coming off back to back 4-8 seasons to land top 15 recruiting classes is a little unrealistic? We rode the Frost wave a little bit last year, but until we actually win, it's going to be hard to convince kids to take a gamble on NU.

Ultimately, you're 100% correct, we need top 15 classes. But getting some top 25 classes can probably start producing some 10 win seasons that can then be used to build top 15 classes. Dabo didn't build Clemson overnight, and they have a much bigger recruiting advantage than Nebraska . This has always going to bend a longer rebuild than anyone wants.

Dabo took over as interim coach in 2008. His 2009 class was ranked 37th according to Rivals and his 2010 class was 19th. Since that time not one class outside of the top 15.

I get what you are saying, the championship results didn’t come until that first top 15 class were upperclassmen but the recruiting results were relatively immediate.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
The best head coaches get the best players and make them better. Clemson was on the same level as Nebraska until Dabo took over. He took advantage of what he had and made the team elite. They weren’t elite before, sans a couple of years in the early 80’s.

Nebraska has never been on a level playing field when it came to top talent being near by. Recruit and develop, do it yourself instead of wanting rules put in place to help you become equal.
I know you are a logical guy and I can agree with some of this. We are not talking apples to apples here.. As we are finding out the most talent comes from kids in the south region. It is much easier to pull these from your own state or near by states, where it isn't too far from home. Getting a team full of kids from these areas is much much harder. Just take a look at Clemsons current recruits. They have 1 guy from CA and 1 guy from Texas. All others are from a surrounding 1 or 2 state area. To think Nebraska is going to be able to pull kids consistently from the southern region is insanity. It isn't going to happen. Even when looking at a team like Ohio St they aren't even able to pull many kids from the south area. They are fortunate enough to get enough kids from Ohio, Mich, Pennsylvania and surrounding states . They have 4 recruits from outside their 1 or 2 state area.
So yes I agree that if a team starts getting good they will be able to more easily pull in talent. The location is still a massive factor, one that Nebraska will not easily be able to over come. Don't get me wrong Im not saying Nebraska will not be able to get top level classes. They are going to have to do it by pull most of their class from distant states. Im saying it is going to much much harder and comparing us to Clemson in regards to recruiting is just not accurate.

Last edited:
I know you are a logical guy and I can agree with some of this. We are not talking apples to apples here.. As we are finding out the most talent comes from kids in the south region. It is much easier to pull these from your own stat or near by states, where it isn't too far from home. Getting a team full of kids from these areas is much much harder. Just take a look at Clemsons current recruits. They have 1 guy from CA and 1 guy from Texas. All others are from a surrounding 1 or 2 state area. To think Nebraska is going to be able to pull kids consistently from the southern region is insanity. It isn't going to happen. Even when looking at a team like Ohio St they aren't even able to pull many kids from the south area. They are fortunate enough to get enough kids from Ohio, Mich, Pennsylvania and surrounding states . They have 4 recruits from outside their 1 or 2 state area.
So yes I agree that if a team starts getting good they will be able to more easily pull in talent. The location is still a massive factor, one that Nebraska will not easily be able to over come. Don't get me wrong Im not saying Nebraska will not be able to get top level classes. They are going to have to do it by pull most of their class from distant states. Im saying it is going to much much harder and comparing us to Clemson in regards to recruiting is just not accurate.
In my opinion, there are three states that we need to consistently recruit well in order to have top 15 recruiting classes - Missouri, Texas and Arizona. Hopefully we can.

Reactions: husker2612
It's a little early to be concerned.
It seems like under our previous 2 coaches we loaded up with 3 stars and grabbed a couple 4's. Now it seems everybody we're getting is 4 stars with a few 3.
I know stars aren't everything but it does have some weight.
If Frost is doign what he's doing with a team that's done nothing significant in YEEEEARRRRSSS and just came off a 4 win season... We have nothing to worry about. We will gradually get better and become a powerhouse again, I truly believe.

In my opinion, there are three states that we need to consistently recruit well in order to have top 15 recruiting classes - Missouri, Texas and Arizona. Hopefully we can.
Another thing we have to be able to do is keep those talented instate kids here. As well as pull in talent from surrounding states like Iowa, SD, ND, CO, KS, MN. Then go to places like Missouri, Texas, AZ, CA to try and find more of that top level talent. Maybe if we can become a national contender again we will be able to pull in more talent from other BIG10 area. Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana and the east coast.

I know you are a logical guy and I can agree with some of this. We are not talking apples to apples here.. As we are finding out the most talent comes from kids in the south region. It is much easier to pull these from your own state or near by states, where it isn't too far from home. Getting a team full of kids from these areas is much much harder. Just take a look at Clemsons current recruits. They have 1 guy from CA and 1 guy from Texas. All others are from a surrounding 1 or 2 state area. To think Nebraska is going to be able to pull kids consistently from the southern region is insanity. It isn't going to happen. Even when looking at a team like Ohio St they aren't even able to pull many kids from the south area. They are fortunate enough to get enough kids from Ohio, Mich, Pennsylvania and surrounding states . They have 4 recruits from outside their 1 or 2 state area.

The typical class is 25 kids. In order to get a top 15 class you need what 10-12 4 stars? You don’t have to get all 10 from Florida or South Carolina or Georgia or Mississippi or Alabama or Texas or Louisiana or California or Tennessee but if you get 1 from each and get the rest of 4 stars from within the 500 mile radius. You’re golden. Then if you are able to get some from NJ or Maryland or Arizona.

We have one of the top QBs in Alabama committed in the 2020 class, the Davis kid from Texas is looking good for the 2021 class. So you don’t need all 25 to come from those areas to have a top 15 class. Depending on the year, and how many are in the 500 mile radius, you may only need 6-9.

The typical class is 25 kids. In order to get a top 15 class you need what 10-12 4 stars? You don’t have to get all 10 from Florida or South Carolina or Georgia or Mississippi or Alabama or Texas or Louisiana or California or Tennessee but if you get 1 from each and get the rest of 4 stars from within the 500 mile radius. You’re golden. Then if you are able to get some from NJ or Maryland or Arizona.

We have one of the top QBs in Alabama committed in the 2020 class, the Davis kid from Texas is looking good for the 2021 class. So you don’t need all 25 to come from those areas to have a top 15 class. Depending on the year, and how many are in the 500 mile radius, you may only need 6-9.
Agree,but teams like Clemson and Alabama do have an advantage since their talent pool is all very close and easier to get. You are right, we have to be able to get 1 kid here and 1 kid there from distant states. Then plug in 500 mile radius guys. So agree 100% in can be done. Just much tougher than teams in the south.

Agree,but teams like Clemson and Alabama do have an advantage since their talent pool is all very close and easier to get. You are right, we have to be able to get 1 kid here and 1 kid there from distant states. Then plug in 500 mile radius guys. So agree 100% in can be done. Just much tougher than teams in the south.

I agree. Nebraska should play half their home games in Tampa.

Reactions: Husker Made
No one knows exactly how the class will play out, but based on average points per recruit NU is at a smidge higher than 5.8 4* pace (107 pts). Multiply that by 20 recruits and based upon last years numbers, NU has a #17 class. Get a couple of heavy hitters and have some of the in hand recruits grade up and NU could break the top 15. I would think NU will have to show better proof of concept on the field this year and next to really improve its ranking position.

Place your emotions with your family. We will get enough recruits by December to be competitive most years and a bit better in other years. Betting folks in my home town will tell you the odds of NU reaching the final four of football in the next 10 years are non existent. Just be happy with a bit better in Lake Wobegon by the prairie.

@jhchusker, it seems as though my sarcasm was lost on you… I feel good about the recruiting class that we have so far. I’m not wringing my hands at all. I was simply poking fun of those who were engaging in plenty of hand wringing two weeks ago.

I think we are fine, and come December will generally be happy with the class we have.

Is the 2019 commit Green even going to make it or not.. i saw he visited Texas Tech 6/18/19 ,so it makes you think he is not going to be playing here..Had high hopes on him.

One thing’s for sure, and you all know this, Nebraska simply cannot suffer the attrition in the next few years like what we saw with Pelini and Riley.

Hopefully players will stay around and develop depth, and injuries will be a bit less as well. And of course, quantity of quality is always welcome.
While I agree,that attrition by previous staffs were a killer, what I'm seeing are two different things not counting a much better developement of the entire team.
First is overall talent,where I see top to bottom greater potential plus just a higher grade of athlete.
Second, I see players that can be developed,whether a particular frame size,or, a multi sport athlete,or, a multi positional type player, but all of them are the no I in team types,unlike the many fillers we went after with our previous staffs.

Is the 2019 commit Green even going to make it or not.. i saw he visited Texas Tech 6/18/19 ,so it makes you think he is not going to be playing here..Had high hopes on him.
All I've seen is, he's been expected someime in July, and nothing else has changed, though, he does have the distinction of being the only Husker recruit under SF who committed to take another visit after his commitment.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage due to location and where you are trying to pull recruits from. Camps are to evaluate some in the 2020 class but just as important it is to evaluate players in the 2021 and 2022 classes. Most in the 2020 class have already been evaluated on campus camps and have been and are being recruited hard . The majority of the class will be in by the end of summer. June s d July camps are for evaluating 2021 and 2022 players. Unofficial visits are critical along with camps . Where distance is not a. Issue players have already made 4 or more unofficial visits to each school of interest before they commit which occurs by the end of summer. Nebraska is at a big disadvantage. Hard to develop a relationship with players that live 900 miles away when they can not unofficially visit your campus.
What huge advantage does Wisconsin hold in recruiting? We have beaten them for a number of players. Oregon and Utah manage to grab a fair share of excellent players even though they are fairly remote. Recruiting has not been the issue for Frost. He just needs two more classes to get back in the game. Patience psychos, and enjoy the thrill a minute ride back to the top echelon.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage due to location and where you are trying to pull recruits from. Camps are to evaluate some in the 2020 class but just as important it is to evaluate players in the 2021 and 2022 classes. Most in the 2020 class have already been evaluated on campus camps and have been and are being recruited hard . The majority of the class will be in by the end of summer. June s d July camps are for evaluating 2021 and 2022 players. Unofficial visits are critical along with camps . Where distance is not a. Issue players have already made 4 or more unofficial visits to each school of interest before they commit which occurs by the end of summer. Nebraska is at a big disadvantage. Hard to develop a relationship with players that live 900 miles away when they can not unofficially visit your campus.
What huge advantage does Wisconsin hold in recruiting? We have beaten them for a number of players. Oregon and Utah manage to grab a fair share of excellent players even though they are fairly remote. Recruiting has not been the issue for Frost. He just needs two more classes to get back in the game. Patience psychos, and enjoy the thrill a minute ride back to the top echelon.

I can wait to see this ! I got plenty of time. Not going anywhere. Not so sure about thrill a minute but for me it has been and will continue to be interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT