ADVERTISEMENT

So few commits??

ok, prove it.. lets see the work.

Anyone can play this silly game. I argue 365 days is a representative sample. Still too small for you? 8,760 hours certainly is large enough for a representative sample right?

umm, this isn't some theory I'm cooking up. it's math. have you genuinely no understanding in basic statistics?

Representative Sample vs. Random Sample: An Overview
Economists and researchers seek to reduce sampling bias to near negligible levels when employing statistical analysis. Three basic characteristics in a sample reduce the chances of sampling bias and allow economists to make more confident inferences about a general population from the results obtained from the sample analysis or study:
  • Such samples must be representative of the chosen population studied.
  • They must be randomly chosen, meaning that each member of the larger population has an equal chance of being chosen.
  • They must be large enough so as not to skew the results. The optimal size of the sample group depends on the precise degree of confidence required for making an inference.
Representative sampling and random sampling are two techniques used to help ensure data is free of bias. These sampling techniques are not mutually exclusive and, in fact, they are often used in tandem to reduce the degree of sampling error in an analysis and allow for greater confidence in making statistical inferences from the sample in regard to the larger group.

like, you really don't understand this?

It’s still JUNE people... if we add 4-6 bodies in July, what will people think? Then we’ll be up to 10 or so...

Bo was a lazy recruiter... he even admitted he didn’t like it. To say that Frost is reminiscent of Bo and wonder if that is his recruiting strategy is one of the more curious things I’ve read in this thread. Frost is not lazy. Not even close.

Remember his recruitment of AM? Practice in Florida in the AM, got on a plane to California, back that night for UCF event, no sleep for a month while he was coaching UCF for their bowl game and recruiting for the Huskers at the same time.

How is his recruiting strategy reminiscent of Bo again?
Slow down turbo, I'm not comparing Frost to Bo. I was just pointing out the fact that at this time in any given year, Bo's classes were small but had some pretty impressive commits. The same is true this year by any objective measure. I have no doubts that this class will fill out much more impressively than any of Bo's did, but just taking a snapshot in time it's pretty easy to see the similarities.

Im with you.

Recruits know that schools are expected to lose to Ohio State pretty consistently... and more often than not, the score is pretty lopsided.

Recruits notice when a team with a hot new coach goes into the horseshoe and is a whisker away from a victory much more than they do 62-3 and 56-14 the previous two years...

A loss is a loss, no doubt, but how you lose does also matter in the eyes of recruits.

I think a close loss to an elite team is viewed much more favorably when you are a 7-5 or 8-4 team as opposed to 4-8. The reaction of most fans without a rooting interest would be the elite 13-1 team probably overlooked the 4-8 team and that is why the game was close. When Nebraska was Nebraska they would occasionally be challenged by a team with a crappy record. I can’t once remember saying to myself - “man that 5 win team is going to be a nightmare in years to come.”

Reactions: timnsun
Honestly you see KU, KSU, Iowa, etc load up with basically 15-20 commits already but you have to realize they aren’t going for the same level kids we are overall. Sure they are bringing in quality kids but we are landing and going after bigger fish. Kids those schools wanted as well.

I think you will see a handful of more commits coming our way soon. Before you know it, we will have 10+.
Right go look at some of the other offers these Iowa commits have. 75% have little to no other p5 offers. Many of those kids are going jump at the first p5 school that comes calling.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
Iowas average in quality may end up lower than last year.
Since Nebraska lost 5 close games last year, any recruit could think they could be the difference maker for the win, and how sweet thatd be against osu.
Recruits should have been playing long enough to remember one of two undefeated coaches in the last few years.

Right go look at some of the other offers these Iowa commits have. 75% have little to no other p5 offers. Many of those kids are going jump at the first p5 school that comes calling.
You have it backwards...75% of Iowa commits have at least 1 other p5 offer. 18 are 3 star (1 is 4 star QB and 1 not rated DB) which means they are p5 talent level. Most of Nebraska commits will also be 3 star.

You have it backwards...75% of Iowa commits have at least 1 p5 offer. 18 are 3 star (1 is 4 star QB and 1 not rated DB) which means they are p5 talent level. Most of Nebraska commits will also be 3 star.

There is a huge difference in my opinion between a 3 star that has offers from Michigan, ND, and Penn State and a 3 star that has offers from Kansas, kansas st and Iowa State.

There is a huge difference in my opinion between a 3 star that has offers from Michigan, ND, and Penn State and a 3 star that has offers from Kansas, kansas st and Iowa State.
Shouldn’t be...obviously some 3 stars turn out better than others but Iowa does better than most p5 schools in developing players.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I think a close loss to an elite team is viewed much more favorably when you are a 7-5 or 8-4 team as opposed to 4-8. The reaction of most fans without a rooting interest would be the elite 13-1 team probably overlooked the 4-8 team and that is why the game was close. When Nebraska was Nebraska they would occasionally be challenged by a team with a crappy record. I can’t once remember saying to myself - “man that 5 win team is going to be a nightmare in years to come.”

The difference is when said 13-1 team’s head coach (who happens to be one of the best in the game) says after the game, “that’s a two win team that nobody wants to play right now.” And “very good coaching, very good scheme, very good players.” And when the play by play guy said(as Iowa was kicking the winning field goal), “it looks like Nebraska will lose this one, but this program is going to be a monster in a few years.”

Most people aren’t saying that was a fluke. Most, even outside the program, recognize something Big is going on in Lincoln. Vegas tends to agree with them.

We fell off fast, we can rise fast.
Obviously, Bo and his staff was better than MR and staff, mostly same players, new schemes, new staff, but never reached Bo's records, really.
Now, our recruiting did pick up under MR slightly, and has greatly since SF, and the growing pains are all but gone, SnC is finally retrenched into the make up of team.
I think recruits know more than we give them credit for, even though they still make mistakes like not going to a better uni because his hs sweety is going to podunk u, most know their football, and their coaches.
Our O line recruiting is blowing the doors off of any coach since, and he only ,BC, before that, TO of course.
Our D line recruiting is slightly better than Bo's. When this staff picks an athlete, they have better ideas on where to play them, how to coach them, and how to use them in game.
Players know this, or should.
If any of us decided on three schools as final choices, we would all have watched those teams, and how their positions were used, as the coaches of those teams would, or should be telling them as well.
In any transition, incoming coach is hot, and SF was as hot as they come.
SF has a 4-8 mark against him, not two of them.

You're right, Husker fans should really watch what they say on their own boards. We'll try to get your approval in advance next time. Thanks for straightening us out.
You’re welcome but no need for my approval just get the facts correct before posting.

Back to the OP, objectively looking at this deal it is somewhat disconcerting. On the upside, our average recruit ranking is in the top 10 in the country. On the downside, the pool of available recruits is getting thinner by the day. It's kind of reminiscent of Bo, where he would get a few really highly rated recruits in the spring and then fill out the class with leftovers in the fall just so we had warm bodies.

That being said, its way too early to know if this is a strategy or if we have problems closing the deal but when we have fewer commits than 95 other teams you have to wonder what's going on.
@Crazyhole , you say it’s too early to know if this is frost’s strategy, to get a few high profile commits and then coast and get warm bodies... I merely was saying it absolutely isn’t Frost’s strategy. He is not the coach that is satisfied with three 4 star players and then sets the cruise control.

That’s what I took issue with in your post, turbo. If I misinterpreted your post, clarify it for me please. What are you saying when you say it’s too early to tell if this is Frost’s strategy?

You have it backwards...75% of Iowa commits have at least 1 other p5 offer. 18 are 3 star (1 is 4 star QB and 1 not rated DB) which means they are p5 talent level. Most of Nebraska commits will also be 3 star.
I said little to no. 1 or 2 would be included in little. 11 of your 18 only has 1 other P5 offer besides Iowa. No decent p5 schools. Only 2 had more than 4. Most of those offer were from places like Iowa St, or Illinois. I believe 4 had offers from Nebraska or Wisc. Only 1 Elijah Yelverton I would say drew some attention from many good p5 schools. Not trying to make a pissing match out of this. It is a fact Iowa gets average guys and is able to develop them into NFL talent. Nebraska will always be able to out recruit Iowa. The difference is Iowa has been a much better developer of the talent they get.

Do you talk to yourself alot on message boards? Or are you just confused? If you don't like what's posted get out. Nobody here cares less to talk to you if you are going to try and dictate what is said on an opposing teams board.
Not the one confused...If you follow the messages you would see I was talking to Huskerfan2112. As far as dictating what is said on this board all I did was correct a false statement. Not a fan of liars regardless who they root for. Really don’t care to talk with the haters but do enjoy civil conversations with good fans from opposing fan bases.

I said little to no. 1 or 2 would be included in little. 11 of your 18 only has 1 other P5 offer besides Iowa. No decent p5 schools. Only 2 had more than 4. Most of those offer were from places like Iowa St, or Illinois. I believe 4 had offers from Nebraska or Wisc. Only 1 Elijah Yelverton I would say drew some attention from many good p5 schools. Not trying to make a pissing match out of this. It is a fact Iowa gets average guys and is able to develop them into NFL talent. Nebraska will always be able to out recruit Iowa. The difference is Iowa has been a much better developer of the talent they get.
Let’s just agree to disagree.

I followed the messages read what you were trying to say and yet you responded to your own quote. You want to throw liar card around so be it. Does not make you any less of a troll.

Who’s trolling who? I know a Hawk fan hater when I see one.
Answer these questions and we’ll see if you qualify as a hawk troll:

1. How do you feel about Nebraska being a blueblood in college football?

2. Do you feel the Iowa football program has always been superior to the ISU football program? If yes, why?

3. Yes or no, prior to PSU joining the B1G it was rightfully called the big 2 and little 8.

4. Nebraska was 8-2 against the hawks from the 70s through 2014, how does that make you feel?

Where do you think iowas 2020 class ranks when in matters which would be after Feb 2020?

Razorhawk, have you ever seen stepbrothers?

Shouldn’t be...obviously some 3 stars turn out better than others but Iowa does better than most p5 schools in developing players.
Why doesn't that superior development result in consistent B1G or national titles? It's been 14 years since Iowa tied for the B1G, and your hawks haven't even come close to sniffing a NC, you'd have thought with your development rhetoric, Iowa would be on top of the conference year in and out.

But of course, you know the truth of the matter, Iowa's coaching staff is only capable of recruiting at a certain level, and then developing players to a certain level, and neither is producing anything that resembles championship football.

So do us a favor and pound sand, stay on your own board and spare us your 40 IQ stupidity.

Your just Iowa St. in the B1G. I like reading you pig guys and the cheese eaters columns. You folks are spinning.

I spent my summers on my grandpa's farm, when I was a child. He had a nice coop for his chickens, and he took care of them and protected them. They would gather around him while he fed them, but when he brought out the heavy bladed butcher knife; they knew what was coming. You folks also know whats coming.

@Crazyhole , you say it’s too early to know if this is frost’s strategy, to get a few high profile commits and then coast and get warm bodies... I merely was saying it absolutely isn’t Frost’s strategy. He is not the coach that is satisfied with three 4 star players and then sets the cruise control.

That’s what I took issue with in your post, turbo. If I misinterpreted your post, clarify it for me please. What are you saying when you say it’s too early to tell if this is Frost’s strategy?
I'm not saying that it is Frost's strategy and I don't think I insinuated it. I was saying that it's too early to know if there is a problem, and then as an aside I compared it to the classes that Bo put together. I never said that Frost was doing the same thing that Bo did, I said that at this point in time our class is reminiscent of his.

I never thought about Iowa football for most of my 38 years. It doesn't really matter, because Iowa football doesn't matter. It never has, except when you were ridiculed in 2015.

WOW! Nebraska message board fans need an intervention...talk about delusional. I came here in peace and was treated like a piece of crap. You’ll get your wish...I won’t be back!!!

This is the same loudmouth who spent 2 days on here bitching about Bill Moos leaving the BIG10 bball tournament early.

Maybe if Moos cared about bball and stayed at the tourney he could have hired a quality coach. Oh, wait a minute....

WOW! Nebraska message board fans need an intervention...talk about delusional. I came here in peace and was treated like a piece of crap. You’ll get your wish...I won’t be back!!!

ezgif-3277589250.gif

Gavin Williams and Deuce Hogan would qualify. Logan Jones is playing the former Army All-American game. I’m not content with the class by any means but this last slew of commits are guys that the staff has seen in person the past few weeks. All of them on the defensive side of the ball. I think Phil Parker has earned the right to get the benefit of the doubt on underrated kids.

I do think this class will be solid down the road. Not a lot of immediate impact guys so keeping attrition down will be key. The Hawks are getting those better 2016 and up classes to fill in so I don’t expect much drop off on the field from year to year.

Good, dumbass, no one wanted you here in the first place. Go back with your 40 IQ brethren and talk about player development at iowa and how it doesn't get anywhere that matters.

when are you going to show your work? you know, to prove it's not a representative sample (as you stated in all caps).. it's actual real data, so what parts of the sample are not representative?

I will tell you.. the parts of the data that are not representative consist of your Wandale / flipping a recruit example.. yet you claim there are thousands of these kids.

It's as if you want to take the outliers, and make that into your sample.. in either case, you are trying to skew things to fit your argument on one hand, and then do the opposite on the other. Your arguments don't hold any water.

since when is 1 a representative sample of anything? do you judge a hitter off one at bat?

Wandale is an example of at least a thousand kids who've flipped their commitment in recruiting over the years. how do you not understand this? @timnsun showed very clearly the math there (50 kids/year over 20 years = 1,000), and that's a very conservative estimate.

1 June vs 1 June tells us absolutely nothing about what we should expect from Frost & staff. it's a random sample, since there isn't enough size to represent anything meaningful as far as a trend is concerned. if you had, say 8-10 Junes to compare to this one, you'd have a fair reason to question. you don't. you have 1.

30+ individual recruits, however, certainly is enough to show the kind of recruits we can expect from the staff. take 5-8 of them, they'll look pretty similar to 5-8 others, and so on and so forth.

again, this is very very very basic statistics. it's not 'my argument'.

Gavin Williams and Deuce Hogan would qualify. Logan Jones is playing the former Army All-American game. I’m not content with the class by any means but this last slew of commits are guys that the staff has seen in person the past few weeks. All of them on the defensive side of the ball. I think Phil Parker has earned the right to get the benefit of the doubt on underrated kids.

I do think this class will be solid down the road. Not a lot of immediate impact guys so keeping attrition down will be key. The Hawks are getting those better 2016 and up classes to fill in so I don’t expect much drop off on the field from year to year.
It doesn't really seem to matter what guys, ranking wise, Iowa gets. They always seem to get the most out of them. You have teams that consistently get top 10 recruiting classes and seem to have a hard time winning games. Development is just as important as recruiting rankings. Recently Nebraska has been able to get good recruiting classes but been horrible at developing that talent.
However I think a team needs to be able to have both to get to the top level consistently. I just don't think Iowa will ever be able to pull in the top talent needed to get to that next level like Ohio St or Alabama. Maybe Nebraska won't be able to either will see what Frost can do over the next few years. I think our history allows us to pull in better classes than many other schools in the Midwest. So far Frost over his history brief history at UCF has shown he can do more with less talent.
What I would like to see (I know will never happen) is restrictions in recruiting. There should be some sort of cap on how many top talent players 1 team can get. Certain location have a much better advantage. Hence why we are seeing the same teams over and over and over at the top. Need to be able to spread that talent out to give other teams a chance. So for instant could say. Per recruiting class can only have 1 -5 star guy. 10- 4 star guys. Alabama has 3 5 star guys and 23 4 star guys. Georgia has 5- 5 star guys and 15 4 star guys. All the school with the majority of 5 and 4 star guys are located in the south.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT