ADVERTISEMENT

So few commits??

It's not something I have done consciously.. I don't even remember having the disagreement. Sorry if you took offense or thought I was blacklisting you.

If this is the case...then that’s completely my bad. Man...these dam Iowa fans have me putting my guard up a lot more then I ever have. And I been on this sight since Bill Callahan was getting those 5 star players checking us out.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
If this is the case...then that’s completely my bad. Man...these dam Iowa fans have me putting my guard up a lot more then I ever have. And I been on this sight since Bill Callahan was getting those 5 star players checking us out.
don't sweat it man.. also you're not on ignore either.. it's all good

Reactions: huskerssalts
Gee, I didn't realize that the choice limited only to a mid-summer BBQ or the Ohio State game. Seems like almost all the top 50 programs in the country prefer to sign them now rather that wait for the fall. But what do they know?

All I am saying is that not only do we only have 3 signed, but those that we are getting to visit (including those that various sites predict will sign with Nebraska) are almost all mid-3 star players or lower. It seems to disprove what people are saying-- that we are simply being selective.

Now before you get all aflutter with indignation and try to assert your superiority in Husker loyalty and knowledge, understand that this is simply something mildly interesting to discuss in June.

Nobody has “signed” anybody. It’s just verbal commitments that can change.
And like I said before, June now is the same as the fall before with the recruiting timeline & rules changed two years ago. The dead period starts tomorrow, which means teams cannot contact recruits or set up OV’s until the fall. Players can contact the teams & still commit, but they have to be the ones to reach out. And obviously you have a lot less commits when there are no OV’s & players preparing for the upcoming season. This is why teams are trying to fill up their classes with top targets before the summer dead period.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
This is Iowa they get a 4 star or 2 and they think it is huge recruiting success. We only have 3 guys and already have that beat.
These are 2021 guys who
You guys can have that guy...we will take 6.0 4 star OT Turner Corcoran that’s ranked in the top 50 and close to being a 5 star OT.

Or he could of went to Iowa City and learned technique from the best offensive line and mainly offensive tackle coach in the country in Kirk Ferentz.

These are 2021 guys who

Or he could of went to Iowa City and learned technique from the best offensive line and mainly offensive tackle coach in the country in Kirk Ferentz.
You must be young. Iowa doesn’t own the market on putting OL in the NFL. KF is very good at coaching the OL and is trusted by NFL execs and has a good run as of late, but let’s not forget 2015 when Iowa nearly didn’t have a player taken in the draft.
Nebraska was the “pipeline” for lineman long before Iowa and KF. Now if you want to say a 2 star talent should go to Iowa to have the best shot at the NFL then I’d agree. 4-5 star kids who end up being worth their star rating can make it to the NFL just as easily at Nebraska.
We do not need Iowa fan explaining anything to us concerning college football, now if you, as an Iowa fan, want to know what it’s like to root for a top ten all time team, just ask nicely.

]

Yes, that keeps recruits away from Bama, Clemson and Ohio State as well.
Don't make me trash our own school.

I wonder why?

Back to back 4-8 champs in the worse division in college football versus perennial National championship contenders.

I would love to be wrong.

Last edited:
These are 2021 guys who

Who cares, my statement still holds true.

You must be young. Iowa doesn’t own the market on putting OL in the NFL. KF is very good at coaching the OL and is trusted by NFL execs and has a good run as of late, but let’s not forget 2015 when Iowa nearly didn’t have a player taken in the draft.
Nebraska was the “pipeline” for lineman long before Iowa and KF. Now if you want to say a 2 star talent should go to Iowa to have the best shot at the NFL then I’d agree. 4-5 star kids who end up being worth their star rating can make it to the NFL just as easily at Nebraska.
We do not need Iowa fan explaining anything to us concerning college football, now if you, as an Iowa fan, want to know what it’s like to root for a top ten all time team, just ask nicely.
Nebraska offensive lineman were also famous for
Nebraska offensive lineman were famous for having disappointing NFL careers. Obviously there were some exceptions.

I’m guessing he has you on ignore. I get the same vibe generally from Nikki as well. We got into it once and he never responds to anything I post anymore, even if I agree with him. Don’t lose sleep over it. I sure don’t.

I don't take anything on here personally, and think it's good folks like Nikki are so passionate about recruiting.

Just trying to illustrate what's effective mathematically so we can talk about what actually matters, like the quality of our recruits as opposed to anecdotally freaking out about the timing, which is impossible to track year-over-year and largely means nothing.

It is only June and I’d normally say it’s way to early to worry or get concerned...and I’m really not to worried. But I have looked around and ever other BIG10 team has 6-19 plus committed already. Well Illinois has 3 like us but they are taking a TON of portal transfers. So then looked at ever Power 5 team out there and most have 5-20 committed by now. Most teams that have a small number like us are none power 5 teams and teams that haven’t done squat. I think the few saying the fish are starting to dwindle down, is correct. I’m not exactly sure why we aren’t getting more going and I’m more than sure we will...but this has caught my attention now too.

Agree. btw this is a "Discussion" thread so what is the problem if some of us have temporarily interrupted our Kool-Aid chug? We are only posing an opinion, slow start and reaching on a transfer or two and now taking an unranked CB with offers from non-power five schools and Illinois.

Nebraska offensive lineman were also famous for

Nebraska offensive lineman were famous for having disappointing NFL careers. Obviously there were some exceptions.
Robert Gallery would be the biggest bust in oline draft history.. seriously
. Worst pick and nfl lineman EVER..look it up bud google is your friend..

Reactions: SOHusker11
How about this guy?

tony-mandarich-once-again-talked-about-why-he-turned-into-a-packers-bust-image-via-greg-mclainyoutube-screencap_2252405.jpg

Last edited:
These are 2021 guys who

Guess he seen the direction Nebraska and SF is going, compared to where Iowa has been the 20 plus under F'er.

Last edited:

Nebraska has had 6 OL drafted since 2009. No longer a pipeline.

I'm not passionate about recruiting, just stated we should look at what we did last year vs this year. It was then you started with the insults showing how emotional, err passionate you are about the subject.

Your mathematics illustration also says: a 1 year sample size is not large enough to look at what we did the prior year timing wise, yet that sample size is large enough to say the staff are good recruiters.

So which is it? Either the sample size isn't large enough, or it is.

Or maybe, the whole sample size mathematic nonsense you dreamed up doesn't apply and is more fit for mental message board masturbation instead.

DUDE. 1 year, in terms of the timing of commitments, IS NOT A REPRESENTATIVE SAMPLE.

25+ individual recruits is enough to show us the quality the staff are able to land.

good grief this is 3rd grade stuff here

Last edited:
Back to the OP, objectively looking at this deal it is somewhat disconcerting. On the upside, our average recruit ranking is in the top 10 in the country. On the downside, the pool of available recruits is getting thinner by the day. It's kind of reminiscent of Bo, where he would get a few really highly rated recruits in the spring and then fill out the class with leftovers in the fall just so we had warm bodies.

That being said, its way too early to know if this is a strategy or if we have problems closing the deal but when we have fewer commits than 95 other teams you have to wonder what's going on.

Reactions: husker2612
Back to the OP, objectively looking at this deal it is somewhat disconcerting. On the upside, our average recruit ranking is in the top 10 in the country. On the downside, the pool of available recruits is getting thinner by the day. It's kind of reminiscent of Bo, where he would get a few really highly rated recruits in the spring and then fill out the class with leftovers in the fall just so we had warm bodies.

That being said, its way too early to know if this is a strategy or if we have problems closing the deal but when we have fewer commits than 95 other teams you have to wonder what's going on.
Exactly. One year, there is no need to go screaming the sky is falling. However It is not normal when looking at other programs around the country at this stage in the year.
I really have no idea why we are having such a hard time in getting recruits to pull the trigger this year. The first two years Frost may have been just trying to plug holes with the most talented guys he could find. Maybe this year he is focusing more on finding guys with character and talent. So harder to find. Im not saying their aren't guys in the previous 2 classes that don't have character and talent. Just wondering if Frost is looking to fill a whole class with those type of players now. IE being much for selective.
This might be his strategy going forward of slow and a steady, making sure to get that perfect player in here. If we end up with a top 20 class by signing day it isn't a big deal at all.

Exactly. One year, there is no need to go screaming the sky is falling. However It is not normal when looking at other programs around the country at this stage in the year.
I really have no idea why we are having such a hard time in getting recruits to pull the trigger this year. The first two years Frost may have been just trying to plug holes with the most talented guys he could find. Maybe this year he is focusing more on finding guys with character and talent. So harder to find. Im not saying their aren't guys in the previous 2 classes that don't have character and talent. Just wondering if Frost is looking to fill a whole class with those type of players now. IE being much for selective.
This might be his strategy going forward of slow and a steady, making sure to get that perfect player in here. If we end up with a top 20 class by signing day it isn't a big deal at all.

I would argue Top 15 is needed to consistently be in the hunt for championships.

I would argue Top 15 is needed to consistently be in the hunt for championships.
Agree probably need top10. At least that is what recent history shows. I was just saying short term we need to be in the top 20 at least. Outside of that won't get the job done.

Reactions: Nate004

It’s still JUNE people... if we add 4-6 bodies in July, what will people think? Then we’ll be up to 10 or so...

Bo was a lazy recruiter... he even admitted he didn’t like it. To say that Frost is reminiscent of Bo and wonder if that is his recruiting strategy is one of the more curious things I’ve read in this thread. Frost is not lazy. Not even close.

Remember his recruitment of AM? Practice in Florida in the AM, got on a plane to California, back that night for UCF event, no sleep for a month while he was coaching UCF for their bowl game and recruiting for the Huskers at the same time.

How is his recruiting strategy reminiscent of Bo again?

It’s still JUNE people... if we add 4-6 bodies in July, what will people think? Then we’ll be up to 10 or so...

Bo was a lazy recruiter... he even admitted he didn’t like it. To say that Frost is reminiscent of Bo and wonder if that is his recruiting strategy is one of the more curious things I’ve read in this thread. Frost is not lazy. Not even close.

Remember his recruitment of AM? Practice in Florida in the AM, got on a plane to California, back that night for UCF event, no sleep for a month while he was coaching UCF for their bowl game and recruiting for the Huskers at the same time.

Yeah I don't think we can use the Bo word. I hope it is his strategy to be very selective vs not be able to get guys to commit.

According to Verdu, SF was also sick as hell on that trip to Cali.

And yes, most of Bo and his crew were lazy recruiters. It seemed like they just went on vacation for months at a time, especially at this time of year and then during the season.

Reactions: timnsun
illinois - 4
nebraska - 4
iowa - 19
indiana - 6
maryland - 13
michigan - 10
msu - 7
minnesota - 18
northwestern - 11
ohio state - 13
penn state - 9
purdue - 8
rutgers - 6
wisconsin - 9

All I hear is, the recruiting sites continually miss out on guys, some players are maxed out etc.
So, the staff goes out and finds guys who started blowing up last year, still low or not rated.
This staff has shown their guys get better according to the sites ,though the staffs evaluations are already in,as it should be.
Now, tell us all how all those guys who may be maxed out, or there wont be any guys missed or were blowing up coming out of nowhere last year?
If those things didnt happen, then yes, theres a limited number of great players, but in many cases, this staff proves that theory is bunk.
Not sure why people even think this way.

None of this will be an issue if and when this staff starts winning. We have a fine staff but they haven’t yet shown they can recruit and win in a power 5 league. You always get a mulligan in year one but we didn’t help our cause going 4-8.

None of this will be an issue if and when this staff starts winning. We have a fine staff but they haven’t yet shown they can recruit and win in a power 5 league. You always get a mulligan in year one but we didn’t help our cause going 4-8.

the only thing they haven't shown is a full class as of 6/24/2019, which in and of itself is completely meaningless yet has all the feeble-minded alarmists freaking out and invoking comparisons to Bo F'ing Pelini

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
QUOTE="jlb321, post: 5252535, member: 15854"]None of this will be an issue if and when this staff starts winning. We have a fine staff but they haven’t yet shown they can recruit and win in a power 5 league. You always get a mulligan in year one but we didn’t help our cause going 4-8.

the only thing they haven't shown is a full class as of 6/24/2019, which in and of itself is completely meaningless yet has all the feeble-minded alarmists freaking out and invoking comparisons to Bo F'ing Pelini

morons.[/QUOTE]

Everything is completely meaningless except the win-loss record.

Reactions: Top_Gun_

Everything is completely meaningless except the win-loss record.

true!

also, just at quick glance, while the iowas and minnesotas have seemingly filled their classes only about half of the top 100 have committed.

Yep, 56-14 is exactly on the money,equal to, and no different than 36-31, as, a loss is a loss.
And while a third year coach got creamed at home, a firstyear coach lost at osu. Obviously, no recruit would notice that, only the loss.

Yep, 56-14 is exactly on the money,equal to, and no different than 36-31, as, a loss is a loss.
And while a third year coach got creamed at home, a firstyear coach lost at osu. Obviously, no recruit would notice that, only the loss.
Im with you.

Recruits know that schools are expected to lose to Ohio State pretty consistently... and more often than not, the score is pretty lopsided.

Recruits notice when a team with a hot new coach goes into the horseshoe and is a whisker away from a victory much more than they do 62-3 and 56-14 the previous two years...

A loss is a loss, no doubt, but how you lose does also matter in the eyes of recruits.

illinois - 4
nebraska - 4
iowa - 19
indiana - 6
maryland - 13
michigan - 10
msu - 7
minnesota - 18
northwestern - 11
ohio state - 13
penn state - 9
purdue - 8
rutgers - 6
wisconsin - 9
Having 19 commits with a Rivals point score of less than 1400 in June means Iowa will finish somewhere in the mid-30s to 40s when it counts.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Honestly you see KU, KSU, Iowa, etc load up with basically 15-20 commits already but you have to realize they aren’t going for the same level kids we are overall. Sure they are bringing in quality kids but we are landing and going after bigger fish. Kids those schools wanted as well.

I think you will see a handful of more commits coming our way soon. Before you know it, we will have 10+.

ADVERTISEMENT