ADVERTISEMENT

So few commits??

Not to be a jerk, but we are not a top 25 team. 4-8 last 2 years, remember? To expect that we should be raking in the recruits like all of the schools you mentioned after back to back 4-8 seasons is a little bit much to expect, don’t you think?
I know, but many are treating this like, not a huge deal. Yes of course we can still and probably will still fill our class, but the sooner it is filled the better the chances of getting quality athletes vs just taking bodies to fill a class.

Reactions: artguy68
Nebraska is at a disadvantage due to location and where you are trying to pull recruits from. Camps are to evaluate some in the 2020 class but just as important it is to evaluate players in the 2021 and 2022 classes. Most in the 2020 class have already been evaluated on campus camps and have been and are being recruited hard . The majority of the class will be in by the end of summer. June s d July camps are for evaluating 2021 and 2022 players. Unofficial visits are critical along with camps . Where distance is not a. Issue players have already made 4 or more unofficial visits to each school of interest before they commit which occurs by the end of summer. Nebraska is at a big disadvantage. Hard to develop a relationship with players that live 900 miles away when they can not unofficially visit your campus.

love it when people who have absolutely no f*cking clue what they're talking about chime in

I know, but many are treating this like, not a huge deal. Yes of course we can still and probably will still fill our class, but the sooner it is filled the better the chances of getting quality athletes vs just taking bodies to fill a class.

what proof is there that the best players commit early?

it's June, man, find a hobby

I think it's fair to ask what has changed from last year to this year. We know the staff can recruit, because they have done a good job of it before. It makes me wonder, at least a little bit, what has changed.

When you go down the offer list, and see lots of names now committed to other schools, it's pretty easy to see that the quality of fish left in the pond is starting to drop off.

I think it's fair to ask what has changed from last year to this year. We know the staff can recruit, because they have done a good job of it before. It makes me wonder, at least a little bit, what has changed.

When you go down the offer list, and see lots of names now committed to other schools, it's pretty easy to see that the quality of fish left in the pond is starting to drop off.

ah, yes, the old sample size of 1 argument

verbal commitments from 17-year olds mean next to nothing. injuries, academics, friends/family, a million other variables change things. a lot.

remember Wandale, solid UK commit?

nobody ever won (or lost) a national title in June. chill

ah, yes, the old sample size of 1 argument

verbal commitments from 17-year olds mean next to nothing. injuries, academics, friends/family, a million other variables change things. a lot.

remember Wandale, solid UK commit?

nobody ever won (or lost) a national title in June. chill
nice sample size..
you do see what you did there right?

of course. just speaking your simple language. you know, dumb things down a bit. glad you caught on ;)
that's interesting.. I mentioned the entire offer list, and you hit me with the sample size of 1 argument, (which doesn't make sense), and then used one example yourself.. You're a pretty smart guy for sure.

nice sample size..
you do see what you did there right?

you see, when someone uses a specific example (Wandale) to illustrate the literally thousands of kids who've changed their commitment, it should be easy to extrapolate. because, obviously.

when somebody uses an actual sample of 1, like you saying 'WhAtS cHaNgEd?' as if last year is some kind of baseline of what every single recruiting cycle with Frost will look like, well it just sounds foolish.

like saying it's fair to ask a baseball player 'wHaT's ChAnGeD?' after going 1-1 then making an out or vice versa.

that's interesting.. I mentioned the entire offer list, and you hit me with the sample size of 1 argument, (which doesn't make sense), and then used one example yourself.. You're a pretty smart guy for sure.

the sample of 1 you used is Frost's first recruiting cycle at NU, genius. not the entire offer list.

LaughingLaughingRollingLaugh

you see, when someone uses a specific example (Wandale) to illustrate the literally thousands of kids who've changed their commitment, it should be easy to extrapolate. because, obviously.

when somebody uses an actual sample of 1, like you saying 'WhAtS cHaNgEd?' as if last year is some kind of baseline of what every single recruiting cycle with Frost will look like, well it just sounds foolish.

like saying it's fair to ask a baseball player 'wHaT's ChAnGeD?' after going 1-1 then making an out or vice versa.
I see.. so you're really saying that we have to flip the next 15 commitments then? to extrapolate on your Wandale example..

so now you are comparing a sample size of 1 player to a sample size of 1 year.. okay.

Wandale is 1 example of the LITERALLY THOUSANDS of kids who've changed their minds on offers to illustrate my point that verbal commitments at this time of the year are next to meaningless.

You said:

literally comparing a sample of exactly 1 year to this year and asking what's changed, as if that 1 year sample tells us anything about Frost's timing in recruiting, which of course it doesn't.

I'm not sure how I can be any more clear in explaining why your 'question' of what's changed is nothing but paranoid impatient alarmism.

Wandale is 1 example of the LITERALLY THOUSANDS of kids who've changed their minds on offers to illustrate my point that verbal commitments at this time of the year are next to meaningless.

You said:

literally comparing a sample of exactly 1 year to this year and asking what's changed, as if that 1 year sample tells us anything about Frost's recruiting, which of course it doesn't.

I'm not sure how I can be any more clear in explaining why your 'question' of what's changed is nothing but paranoid impatient alarmism.
Okay, so now you seem to be saying that I should not base my 'We know the staff can recruit' comment on only 1 year, because it's too small of a sample.. so you think they are bad recruiters then?

Keep digging that hole..

Okay, so now you seem to be saying that I should not base my 'We know the staff can recruit' comment on only 1 year, because it's too small of a sample.. so you think they are bad recruiters then?

Keep digging that hole..

giphy.gif

I'm saying the timing has no bearing at all. You're right in saying they can recruit. The sample is there. They're great at it.

You're a moron for asking what's changed from last year to this year IN JUNE, you know, 5 months from early signing day and 8 from national signing day.

I want to know who the "thousands" are that change their mind. Is that over several lifetimes? There is a limited number of highly ranked players, that is fact. How many 4 and 5* players change their commitment on average per year? I have no idea, just asking for someone's friend of a friend.

I want to know who the "thousands" are that change their mind. Is that over several lifetimes? There is a limited number of highly ranked players, that is fact. How many 4 and 5* players change their commitment on average per year? I have no idea, just asking for someone's friend of a friend.
I have no clue, but using just basic math, 50 changed commits per year means in 20 years that’s a thousand.

With almost 130 universities offering 20 scholies per year, that’s 2600 scholies offered. I would think 50 switches wouldn’t be that much all things considered... it doesn’t take long to have thousands of commits changed over the years.

But I’m just spitballing.

Edit: you’d be surprised how many 3 star players flip as well, I’m guessing.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
People need to realize that things have changed A LOT the last two years with the rule changes.
1) You can sign in December now, not have to wait until February.
2) You can count a December signee towards the previous year’s 25 if they were under 25, allowing a larger class in the current year.
3) More early enrollees because of both #1 & #2.
4) Recruits can OV in the spring now with the new early signing period.

Because of the new rules, recruits are OVing in the Spring & committing during the spring & summer dead period (which starts next week) so they can concentrate on fall camp & their senior years. In fact, look at how many kids have already committed from 2021 to major programs.

Two years ago having only 3 commits in June was normal. Not anymore. Look at how many 2021 commits some teams already have (more than 3). And those same teams have 12-15 2020 commits now too.

As far as the better players committing early? With the new rules teams go hard after their top targets & get them early, then save a few spots for NSD for undecided kids. Clemson, Bama, OSU, UGA, ND, OU...have already got commitments from their top targets.

Things have changed A LOT the past two years.

I have no clue, but using just basic math, 50 changed commits per year means in 20 years that’s a thousand.

With almost 130 universities offering 20 scholies per year, that’s 2600 scholies offered. I would think 50 switches wouldn’t be that much all things considered... it doesn’t take long to have thousands of commits changed over the years.

But I’m just spitballing.

Edit: you’d be surprised how many 3 star players flip as well, I’m guessing.

Time would be the key factor. In your example, 50 isn't a big number but given enough time it adds up. I understand 3* kids flipping but who is going to have the most recruiting pressure?

We lead the nation in number of offers but have the fewest commits. Not a great ratio

At signing day ours will be the highest ranked class of any team in the west. Pelini and Riley never had a single class ranked below any team in the west. Hard to believe this string would end under Frost.

To everyone who is moaning and groaning about the state of recruiting, will you come back to eat crow if we have a top 20 class when everything is said and done? I will come back and eat crow if we don’t…

Doesnt help players know we have a ton of young players at key positions.

This year may not be as good as the last 2.

But if we improve I can see 2021 being an awesome class.

Not necessarily true. Some highly recruited guys will wait until closer to the season so they can visit all the schools.

Some national recruits will wait for the season and official visits. This is where Nebraska excels. A game day visit. We dont have an advantageous location for unofficials, but a game in Lincoln is second to none.

We are in on alot of players with power five offers. Their decisions will take longer. I think we're just recruiting a higher caliber player now.

Ok, last year we had five Nebraska kids. How many this year?
Nebraska kids sign early.
History shows a couple things as well as other teams.
At ucf, did they draft top twenty when they beat auburn?
On that ucf team, how many eventually get drafted?
How high does either wiscy or iowa recruit?
Where do they finish?
Do they develope and get the kids they want?
Is MR still the coach, or are there real coaches developing real players now?
Until Green, there hasnt been one recruit who had taken another visit after committing, what other Husker staff can claim only one in two years?
Is it coincidence guys like Anderson who are three stars, later become all state in Louisiana,one of the highest numbers of recruits states in all the states, just because Nebraska recruited him, or, did he earn it, and why would any of this matter if we're a doomed 4-8 team?
How about guys like Anderson, guys like Smothers, as he climbs in stars ,earned their way, and guys like Verduzco and Austin just might know what the hell to look for?
I tell folks, if a qb doesn't recognize just how good he'll be coached here, and he wants top quality coaching, then he simply doesnt blink quick enough to play here.
Austin is well known at his position, both SF and Verdu are as well, so is Fish etc, they will develope kids, they know what their eyes see,whatever the rating now.
If you don't trust this staff, keep looking to the sky to see if it's falling, but staring up, you wont see that fine line you don't step over, making a fan look foolish this early with this staff.

of course. just speaking your simple language. you know, dumb things down a bit. glad you caught on ;)

Don’t feel bad Top_Gun...me and NikkiSixx had a small disagreement a while ago...I don’t even remember what it was about...something petty and definitely nothing big and he hasn’t spoken to me since. He hasn’t liked anything I post or even respond to anything I’m chatting about. He answers and chats to others that are literally posting to me or around me...but literally acts like I’m a damn ghost since. Dudes like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
It is only June and I’d normally say it’s way to early to worry or get concerned...and I’m really not to worried. But I have looked around and ever other BIG10 team has 6-19 plus committed already. Well Illinois has 3 like us but they are taking a TON of portal transfers. So then looked at ever Power 5 team out there and most have 5-20 committed by now. Most teams that have a small number like us are none power 5 teams and teams that haven’t done squat. I think the few saying the fish are starting to dwindle down, is correct. I’m not exactly sure why we aren’t getting more going and I’m more then sure we will...but this has caught my attention now too.

Reactions: husker2612
Some recruits know good car salesmen dont make good football coaches, some have trouble figuring it out, some just want the cool car, and some get those cars.
Some kids know whats real, and if it matches what they want, they come to Nebraska.

Camps are for guys that live close or are trying to get noticed. If you have a big time recruit that wants to take an official visit to Lincoln from another part of the country and you only get one visit from them, would you push him to attend your mid-summer BBQ or the Ohio State game?
Gee, I didn't realize that the choice limited only to a mid-summer BBQ or the Ohio State game. Seems like almost all the top 50 programs in the country prefer to sign them now rather that wait for the fall. But what do they know?

All I am saying is that not only do we only have 3 signed, but those that we are getting to visit (including those that various sites predict will sign with Nebraska) are almost all mid-3 star players or lower. It seems to disprove what people are saying-- that we are simply being selective.

Now before you get all aflutter with indignation and try to assert your superiority in Husker loyalty and knowledge, understand that this is simply something mildly interesting to discuss in June.

Don’t feel bad Top_Gun...me and NikkiSixx had a small disagreement a while ago...I don’t even remember what it was about...something petty and definitely nothing big and he hasn’t spoken to me since. He hasn’t liked anything I post or even respond to anything I’m chatting about. He answers and chats to others that are literally posting to me or around me...but literally acts like I’m a damn ghost since. Dudes like that.

I’m guessing he has you on ignore. I get the same vibe generally from Nikki as well. We got into it once and he never responds to anything I post anymore, even if I agree with him. Don’t lose sleep over it. I sure don’t.

Reactions: huskerssalts
The way it’s going now, we might have to try and flip a few 4 star players down the stretch. A lot of the 4 stars and top 100 players are committed or committing soon. Ouch. If we pull off a good year and get some to visit...we could steal some away.

It's not something I have done consciously.. I don't even remember having the disagreement. Sorry if you took offense or thought I was blacklisting you.

Reactions: huskerssalts
ADVERTISEMENT