ADVERTISEMENT

So few commits??

zrob

Walk On
May 22, 2005
I know it's early but why do the Huskers have so few commits? A lot of teams have around 20 and Nebraska only has 3. Just curious if there is any reason or problematic issues, I don't follow recruiting terribly close but the difference between NU and many of the top programs worries me just a little. Based on the last couple recruiting seasons I still expect Frost to land a very good group by the time all is said and done. I actually expected this year to be quite a bit better than the last couple and still hope it will be.

Now don't get me wrong, I am very excited about the 3 studs they do have commitments from. Sorry for the crap thread folks, I don't post very often and almost never make my own threads.

GBR

This is like the sixth post about this.
Last year, we had 13 when the season started.
FNL is going on, alot of visitors in Lincoln tonite.
Expect at least one by monday, and a couple more soon.

Reactions: SC_'sker and zrob
This is like the sixth post about this.
Last year, we had 13 when the season started.
FNL is going on, alot of visitors in Lincoln tonite.
Expect at least one by monday, and a couple more soon.

Like I said, I don't post here too often and didn't see a thread on this smart guy;). Thanks though, I appreciate the info. I was just curious if there was any reason for the disparity or if it was just by chance that so far NU has so few.

Last year, we had five in state guys committing fairly early, this year, two with offers so far, with one still looking.
So, if we had say six, our numbers would look much better right now.
Otherwise, out of state recruits is in line.
Plus, we have about three or four less guys in this class.

Reactions: Fstice and zrob
The Huskers have three 4-star commits including two top 50 players, and our fans are freaking out.

It’s because we only have 3 not the star rating...

Ohio St, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn St,Michigan, Northwestern and Maryland all have more than 10 and besides Illinois were the only teams in the conference that have just 3..

Expecting about 4 commits by around the 4th of July or there after..

The Huskers have three 4-star commits including two top 50 players, and our fans are freaking out.
People can try and spin it however they want. Having 3 at this stage is not ideal and is nowhere near normal. To me it indicates either Frost and Co are being very very selective on who they are letting commit or Frost was able to get kids to buy into the hype last year and this year kids are in wait and see mode.
My guess is it is probably a combination of both. The sky is not falling, if we can put together a strong year. Recruiting won't be an issue at all going forward, but having 3 recruits while most other have 10+ is not normal.
To put this into perspective here are the other schools with 3 recruits.
Utah
Florida Atlantic
Troy
Louisana
Tulsa
Central Michigan
UC Davis
Illinois

Last edited:
Count me in as one who thinks the coaches are being really selective at this juncture. Also right now, based on the other thread outlining ESPN top 300 players that we have, I’m thinking our starting eleven on both sides of the ball are pretty strong so IMO building quality depth is the focus of this class. Adidas camp last weekend, FNL this weekend. I think over the next few weeks we’ll begin to see commitments roll in.

I guess I’m old school. I don’t worry until I see who signs on the dotted line. Plenty of time to finish the job, relax it’s early.

Remember when Osborne was almost apologizing for recruiting about 1992? One of his tight ends, Mark Gilman commented on that, it seemed Nebraska was about to be taking a nose dive all things football related back then, until a resurgence set in.

Voicing a concern at an otherwise very uneventful time to discuss anything Huskers is not "freaking out". Sure there is plenty of time, but discussing this subject is certainly legit.

I have also noticed that almost all of our visitors are 3* or lower. This is also a concern.

Don't worry, I am still all about Frost turning us around. That doesn't mean that all concerns need to be squelched.

Voicing a concern at an otherwise very uneventful time to discuss anything Huskers is not "freaking out". Sure there is plenty of time, but discussing this subject is certainly legit.

I have also noticed that almost all of our visitors are 3* or lower. This is also a concern.

Don't worry, I am still all about Frost turning us around. That doesn't mean that all concerns need to be squelched.

Camps are for guys that live close or are trying to get noticed. If you have a big time recruit that wants to take an official visit to Lincoln from another part of the country and you only get one visit from them, would you push him to attend your mid-summer BBQ or the Ohio State game?

Plus many of these teams are hitting that 15- 20 range already. If they are filling their classes with quality recruits. That is leaving few and few of the top guys that we are able to get. The longer we wait to fill the less quality their will be.

I don't think it's people trying to squelch others when offering their sound outlooks as well, if it doesnt equal someones opinion, it only means theres more than one opinion.
If anyone recalls, many of our recruits were almost like time work last year, a steady stream.
Also, not one looked elsewheres until Green of late, him being the only one.
The staff says look around, be sure, they are also being selective, and possibly waiting on their top guys before opening up below them in a given room.
Also, while theyve evalled a ton of guys, they offered even more, and the FNL guys, the big man camp guys, some were first time looks,and thats the next step, as offers have different commitable levels, but the staff wants everyone to have visited campus, been evaluated etc before its commitable with few exceptions.

Plus many of these teams are hitting that 15- 20 range already. If they are filling their classes with quality recruits. That is leaving few and few of the top guys that we are able to get. The longer we wait to fill the less quality their will be.
My problem is, how many of our offers have we lost to all these teams, and, where did they sit on the board?
This staff doesnt let up until told to do so, theyve done very well with late grabs, and not the portal.
I prefer our coaches wanting their guys, not just any guys, this isnt past staffs evalls going on here.

Reactions: timnsun
I don't doubt that last year's 4-8 season has impacted recruiting. I would bet that we'll have more than 3 commitments by this time next year.

Well, Texas only has 7 at this point. Other years they were double close to this time. It will all work out.
Yea, texas, just another team on the rise, not mired into going nowhere like some teams.
Usc has had late classes as well as ucla.
If I recall, iowa had a recruit go juco, I think theyre trying too hard.

The 3 recruits that many consider the most likely to commit are all mid level 3 star players with very mediocre offer lists. Perhaps our coaches are slow playing them for recruits higher on the board.

People can try and spin it however they want. Having 3 at this stage is not ideal and is nowhere near normal. To me it indicates either Frost and Co are being very very selective on who they are letting commit or Frost was able to get kids to buy into the hype last year and this year kids are in wait and see mode. Last year recruits were looking at playing for an undefeated, top 10 ranked coach. This year they are looking at playing for a 4-8 HC. The hype isn't as easy to sell.
My guess is it is probably a combination of both. The sky is not falling, if we can put together a strong year. Recruiting won't be an issue at all going forward, but having 3 recruits while most other have 10+ is not normal.
To put this into perspective here are the other schools with 3 recruits.
Utah
Florida Atlantic
Troy
Louisana
Tulsa
Central Michigan
UC Davis
Illinois
Who cares who else has 3 recruits at this point? Unless you think our final recruiting class is going to be at the level of Tulsa, UC Davis, and the like, then it's a completely meaningless point. I have never seen anybody prove that you need to have any certain number of recruits at any particular point for a class to be successful. In fact, there have been a number of times where a team almost filled up their class early on and then ended up with a pretty weak class. The number of recruits at this early point is important only for those who love to get worried about anything they can find.

Who cares who else has 3 recruits at this point? Unless you think our final recruiting class is going to be at the level of Tulsa, UC Davis, and the like, then it's a completely meaningless point. I have never seen anybody prove that you need to have any certain number of recruits at any particular point for a class to be successful. In fact, there have been a number of times where a team almost filled up their class early on and then ended up with a pretty weak class. The number of recruits at this early point is important only for those who love to get worried about anything they can find.
If it was normal we would consistently be seeing teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma,Georgia, FL, FL ST, ND, in that range as well. Im not saying it is the end of the world but it is most definitely not what top 25 teams what to have at this point in the year. Most of the top schools would their classes mostly filled come fall time. Or shortly after, Why? because they want to use the football season to play football, not worry or focus on filling a recruiting class.
Again, not the end of the world. 1 year not a huge deal, but it is something to keep an eye on for sure.

If it was normal we would consistently be seeing teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma,Georgia, FL, FL ST, ND, in that range as well. Im not saying it is the end of the world but it is most definitely not what top 25 teams what to have at this point in the year. Most of the top schools would their classes mostly filled come fall time. Or shortly after, Why? because they want to use the football season to play football, not worry or focus on filling a recruiting class.
Again, not the end of the world. 1 year not a huge deal, but it is something to keep an eye on for sure.
It was actually discussed some years back that filling up your class too early is not necessarily a good thing. I remember there was a specific case cited of Penn State doing it(I don't remember exactly when-it wasn't recent, but it wasn't a really long time ago, probably something close to 10 years ago) and then ended up with a mediocre recruiting class because they had some players that underperformed their senior years of high school and missed out on some late bloomers who attracted recruiting interest because of great senior years. I also don't think Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. is the right comparison because we aren't at that level yet and I don't think anybody expects us to be right now. I just don't understand getting hung up on specific numbers of recruits at this point when there has never been anything proven about how many commits a team has at any particular point, especially this long before signing day has any relevance to how the recruiting class ends up. If you end up with a great class, why does it matter one bit how many recruits we had at some particular point earlier in the process?

Not to be a jerk, but we are not a top 25 team. 4-8 last 2 years, remember? To expect that we should be raking in the recruits like all of the schools you mentioned after back to back 4-8 seasons is a little bit much to expect, don’t you think?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I’m fine with the low numbers right now since we have very high quality. If we have a good season and win 8-9 games, I think we will have high level recruits who aren’t currently on the radar become more interested in us. There is still plenty of time to have a top 20 class. Frost put together a solid first year class in a transition year in just a couple of months based on his success at UCF. So if we have on the field success, I believe recruits will be here in the end and we will finish up strong. We just have to prove on the field that we are a top level team again.

It was actually discussed some years back that filling up your class too early is not necessarily a good thing. I remember there was a specific case cited of Penn State doing it(I don't remember exactly when-it wasn't recent, but it wasn't a really long time ago, probably something close to 10 years ago) and then ended up with a mediocre recruiting class because they had some players that underperformed their senior years of high school and missed out on some late bloomers who attracted recruiting interest because of great senior years. I also don't think Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. is the right comparison because we aren't at that level yet and I don't think anybody expects us to be right now. I just don't understand getting hung up on specific numbers of recruits at this point when there has never been anything proven about how many commits a team has at any particular point, especially this long before signing day has any relevance to how the recruiting class ends up. If you end up with a great class, why does it matter one bit how many recruits we had at some particular point earlier in the process?
Why not take their commitment now if they're interested and kick them out if we find someone better?

Camps are for guys that live close or are trying to get noticed. If you have a big time recruit that wants to take an official visit to Lincoln from another part of the country and you only get one visit from them, would you push him to attend your mid-summer BBQ or the Ohio State game?

Nebraska is at a disadvantage due to location and where you are trying to pull recruits from. Camps are to evaluate some in the 2020 class but just as important it is to evaluate players in the 2021 and 2022 classes. Most in the 2020 class have already been evaluated on campus camps and have been and are being recruited hard . The majority of the class will be in by the end of summer. June s d July camps are for evaluating 2021 and 2022 players. Unofficial visits are critical along with camps . Where distance is not a. Issue players have already made 4 or more unofficial visits to each school of interest before they commit which occurs by the end of summer. Nebraska is at a big disadvantage. Hard to develop a relationship with players that live 900 miles away when they can not unofficially visit your campus.

Nebraska is at a disadvantage due to location and where you are trying to pull recruits from. Camps are to evaluate some in the 2020 class but just as important it is to evaluate players in the 2021 and 2022 classes. Most in the 2020 class have already been evaluated on campus camps and have been and are being recruited hard . The majority of the class will be in by the end of summer. June s d July camps are for evaluating 2021 and 2022 players. Unofficial visits are critical along with camps . Where distance is not a. Issue players have already made 4 or more unofficial visits to each school of interest before they commit which occurs by the end of summer. Nebraska is at a big disadvantage. Hard to develop a relationship with players that live 900 miles away when they can not unofficially visit your campus.

Nebraska's 2019 class consisted of players from 13 states not including NE. Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Arizona, Louisiana, Tennessee, Washington, Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Minnesota.

2018's Class saw players come from Florida, Mississippi, Texas, Connecticut.

Nebraska, with the right staff in place, is not at such a disadvantage as you or others would like to make it seem. I wonder why a player from California who starts at QB for the Huskers showed up in Lincoln?

ADVERTISEMENT