ADVERTISEMENT

So far no Fickell for MSU...

I believe 3 now have turned them down. Fickel, Mel Tucker, and Pat Narduzzi. Bielema might be the guy they are on now. Which wouldn't be a bad hire. He had success in the BIG at Wisc
How that success is viewed is tempered though by his awful record at Arkansas. Makes one wonder if his success at Wisconsin was more about the program and not about him. I know his name was brought up back in 2017 by some sportswriter as somewhere we might look if Scott Frost for some reason turned us down. The idea was not very well received by our fans. I wouldn't want to be the program that tests out whether he's the coach we saw at Wisconsin or the one at Arkansas. Michigan State may not have any better options though.

I believe 3 now have turned them down. Fickel, Mel Tucker, and Pat Narduzzi. Bielema might be the guy they are on now. Which wouldn't be a bad hire. He had success in the BIG at Wisc
I think Matt Campbell turned them down too

Reactions: husker2612
Can you blame him?
I would think msu didn't back up their coach, or matters between them weren't good.
You crap on one coach, it can come back to bite you.

Something isn't right at msu. Regardless of what coach D did, is a very strong possibility.

Sorry if miss understood.. Them meaning Fickell and his wife..

Reactions: Shermski77
I think Matt Campbell turned them down too
Oh yeah forgot about him. Not sure how official it was but I think he shot them down before an interview even. There is nothing good going on at MSU, outside of being able to pay more than a G5. If I was fickel making almost 3 mill a year at Cincinnati. No way in hell Im jumping ship for 4 mill to go to Mich St. A coach has to be in a pretty bad spot to want to take that on.
There is no current p5 coach that will take it. Im guessing very few G5 even. I think they are going to have to go with a guy like Bielema who isn't currently coaching or find an assistant of some sort who want to be an HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swiv3D and WHCSC
Do we think Moos has Fickell on his short list of potential coaches he would be interested in

We already have a basketball coach, catchup, I know youre stuck in the 90's

so you don’t think that Fickell is on our AD’s list as potential football coaches to replace Frost?

Interesting ...who do you think Moos has on that list?

surely he has at least put a little thought into possible replacements.

Last edited:
so you don’t think that Fickell is on our AD’s list as potential football coaches to replace Frost?

You are insufferable.

Reactions: leodisflowers

At this point, not sure he has.
But, no, it wouldn't be Fickell, not Moos MO

as evidenced by the

*checks notes*

contract extension given less than 4 months ago

i didn't say he was thinking about replacing Frost ... I said he has surely thought about potential replacements ...

i did't say he was thinking about replacing Frost ... I said he has surely thought about potential replacements ...
thanks for clarifying
giphy.gif

you're welcome ... with that cleared up

surely Moos has thought about possible replacements .. do you think Fickell is on that list ... what others?
I agree with what you didn't say- he's not thinking about replacing Frost.

I agree with what you didn't say- he's not thinking about replacing Frost.

agreed. ... I bet Fickell is on the list he has as possible replacements. Not sure where on the list he is, first or last. Might move up or down or off completely depending on this years game.

Campbell is probably on the list as well

agreed. ... I bet Fickell is on the list he has as possible replacements. Not sure where on the list he is, first or last. Might move up or down or off completely depending on this years game.
2026 is a long way away, partner.

interesting! we are so lucky to have such an insider posting on our board.

tell us more!

Moos has been quoted on more than one occasion that he always keeps a list of possible coaches should change be needed

what if Hoiberg suddenly decides to go to the NBA .. or Saban or Belechick suddenly retire and Alabama or the Patriots come for Frost?

Moos said he keeps in the top drawer of his desk a short list of names for potential football, men's basketball and women's basketball hires.

"I will tell you this, and you probably should know it. In my desk (top drawer) I have a shortlist in both football and men’s and women’s basketball of who I would be interested in if I had to make a change," Moos said. "

Moos has been quoted on more than one occasion that he always keeps a list of possible coaches should change be needed

what if Hoiberg suddenly decides to go to the NBA .. or Saban or Belechick suddenly retire and Alabama or the Patriots come for Frost?

Moos said he keeps in the top drawer of his desk a short list of names for potential football, men's basketball and women's basketball hires.

"I will tell you this, and you probably should know it. In my desk (top drawer) I have a shortlist in both football and men’s and women’s basketball of who I would be interested in if I had to make a change," Moos said. "
now this is the exact kind of insight we all come to this board hoping for.

great work!

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
you don’t think Moos has made a list of possible replacements?- surely he has
Tell you what... email him and let us know what you find out. You must enjoy trolling your own fan base.

It does get old, my friend. And as a rule, I don’t put people on ignore, so please don’t suggest that’s what I do here.

Tell you what... email him and let us know what you find out. You must enjoy trolling your own fan base.

It does get old, my friend. And as a rule, I don’t put people on ignore, so please don’t suggest that’s what I do here.
did you see those copy/paste skills?! I mean, WOW.

not just anyone can google quotes and make them magically appear in another place on the internet. we are dealing with a very high-level pro here.

did you see those copy/paste skills?! I mean, WOW.

not just anyone can google quotes and make them magically appear in another place on the internet. we are dealing with a very high-level pro here.

not sure what the uproar is all about

anyone who is more than an just a casual fan of the program knows that Moos keeps a short list of potential coaching replacements should a sudden change be needed

a Big Ten school who has had much more success than Neb in the last decade or so is undergoing a coaching search and struggling

seems like a logical discussion of whether or not the coaches that have allegedly turn down MSU have been considered by Moos

I admit I could have done a better job of framing the discussion for those that don't follow the program all that closely

something like ... "we know Moos keeps a list ...."
a bit surprised my question triggered such vitriol .. particularly from some of the individuals in this thread that I assumed followed the program in more than just a cursory manner

again will try to provide a bit more background in the future

not sure what the uproar is all about

anyone who is more than an just a casual fan of the program knows that Moos keeps a short list of potential coaching replacements should a sudden change be needed

a Big Ten school who has had much more success than Neb in the last decade or so is undergoing a coaching search and struggling

seems like a logical discussion of whether or not the coaches that have allegedly turn down MSU have been considered by Moos

I admit I could have done a better job of framing the discussion for those that don't follow the program all that closely

something like ... "we know Moos keeps a list ...."
a bit surprised my question triggered such vitriol .. particularly from some of the individuals in this thread that I assumed followed the program in more than just a cursory manner

again will try to provide a bit more background in the future
who's on your wish list? your post has nothing to do with Moos, since nobody has a key to his desk's top drawer, so no need to couch it that way. talking Frost replacements is fair enough.

I know you fancy the 8-win kid (well, 7 last year) matt campbell. who else?

I'm personally hoping for Another Extension, but he's known to be pretty elusive.

who's on your wish list? your post has nothing to do with Moos, since nobody has a key to his desk's top drawer, so no need to couch it that way. talking Frost replacements is fair enough.

I know you fancy the 8-win kid (well, 7 last year) matt campbell. who else?

I'm personally hoping for Another Extension, but he's known to be pretty elusive.

since we know Moos keeps a list -- why isn't it fair game to speculate who might be on it?
My wish is that he isn't compelled to put a call out to anyone on his list

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
since we know Moos keeps a list -- why isn't it fair game to speculate who might be on it?
My wish is that he isn't compelled to put a call out to anyone on his list
it is fair.

any names you're hoping are on it?

Can say the exact thing about us....
We do hold more national prestige than MSU. However, I think had we not had ins with Frost we would have had a hard time getting any top level coach to come here. Our coaching search would have probably looked like many we have seen the last few year.

Reactions: Shermski77
ADVERTISEMENT