ADVERTISEMENT

So far no Fickell for MSU...

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
Detroit Free Press reporting that the MSU AD walked off the private jet in Lansing, returning from Cincy, without Fickell.

might be a matter of board approval

Shoot, Fickell has all the power at this moment. The first offer that MSU came in with I would have my agent tell them to double it.

I bet he can get over 4 million a year.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It sometimes takes a while to negotiate all the contract terms. It likely will happen by the end of the week.

He’ll probably have better options after this season. Maybe USC.
For sure, Michigan state isn't much better, maybe even worse than where he is at. If he has success this year ( with a loss to Neb) he can get interest with high profile football program. Like USC, Maybe Michigan if Harbaugh under performs again.

For sure, Michigan state isn't much better, maybe even worse than where he is at. If he has success this year ( with a loss to Neb) he can get interest with high profile football program. Like USC, Maybe Michigan if Harbaugh under performs again.
Mich St is absolutely a better job than Cincy. No question.

Mich St is absolutely a better job than Cincy. No question.
Meh, not where both programs are currently at. He has Cinncy rolling. Mich st is going to be a major rebuild. Plus don't they or will have ncaa sanctions coming? If it was that much better, he would have taken the job. Right now, Mich st is not a destination for successful head coaches. They are probably going to have to find a successful assistant who has no HC experience and build from there. Like mentioned above if he can have another great year, he is going to have every open HC program coming after him, with potential to make more money.

Luke Fickell - who managed to lose to Bo Pelini while head coach of OSU - after taking over a 4-8 mid major program should not beat Scott Frost in year 3 at a power 5 program, in Lincoln.
He should not beat Chip Kelly in year 2 at a power 5 program either.

Reactions: headcard
Meh, not where both programs are currently at. He has Cinncy rolling. Mich st is going to be a major rebuild. Plus don't they or will have ncaa sanctions coming? If it was that much better, he would have taken the job. Right now, Mich st is not a destination for successful head coaches. They are probably going to have to find a successful assistant who has no HC experience and build from there. Like mentioned above if he can have another great year, he is going to have every open HC program coming after him, with potential to make more money.
let's see.. an AAC program that's 'rolling' or a B1G program, playing Notre Dame every other year, making $5M/year.. sanctions or not, it's very obvious which is the better program, both near- and long-term. Cincy, just like any G5 team, has zero chance to make the playoff, even if undefeated.

I tend to agree with the poster who said he's posturing, as he does currently have all the leverage.

Luke Fickell - who managed to lose to Bo Pelini while head coach of OSU - after taking over a 4-8 mid major program should not beat Scott Frost in year 3 at a power 5 program, in Lincoln.
While going ancient in todays cfb, I look at a much better auburn team playing a hapless SF team, and say thats just old thinking, outdated, and so generalized it mans nothing in real context.

If however you'd like to explain, the ucfs, the bsus, we are all ears.

let's see.. an AAC program that's 'rolling' or a B1G program, playing Notre Dame every other year, making $5M/year.. sanctions or not, it's very obvious which is the better program, both near- and long-term. Cincy, just like any G5 team, has zero chance to make the playoff, even if undefeated.

I tend to agree with the poster who said he's posturing, as he does currently have all the leverage.
Fickell being his namesake? Surprised?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Crap I was hoping he’s go. That is going to be a hard game. They’ll be favored.
Unless we slip up in our first 3 games, they will not be favored against us coming into Lincoln. They may not be even if we lose only once. I doubt a non-power 5 team has ever been favored against us at home, and it won't start now unless we really start out poorly. Heck, we don't even know if they will be undefeated. Let's not just assume that they are going to be as good this year as last. There's a number of non-Power 5 teams that have put together great seasons one year and then failed to follow it up the next. Yes, that will likely be a tough game, but let's not overdo it.

Long term any P5 Job is going to be a step up from G5. I just think all things considered, he is better off to stay put and wait for a better program to come calling.

Considering he literally turned MSU away I don't know why you're trying to make this argument

Unless we slip up in our first 3 games, they will not be favored against us coming into Lincoln. They may not be even if we lose only once. I doubt a non-power 5 team has ever been favored against us at home, and it won't start now unless we really start out poorly. Heck, we don't even know if they will be undefeated. Let's not just assume that they are going to be as good this year as last. There's a number of non-Power 5 teams that have put together great seasons one year and then failed to follow it up the next. Yes, that will likely be a tough game, but let's not overdo it.

agree,

when was the last time a Nebraska coach had 2 losses to mid major conference teams on their resume
in year 3 - we beat Cincinnati

Last edited:
Considering he literally turned MSU away I don't know why you're trying to make this argument
because 1 guy reportedly turned it down that somehow makes MSU a worse job than Cincy?

talk about a thin argument....

I think Luke knows other jobs will be available after next season that may be comparable or better than MSU. If he continues his success at Cincy those opportunities will be there.

The ticked off MSU fans are referring to him as Limp Pickle. Apparently Pickle and his wife didn’t like all the sex assault lawsuits and lingering effects.

Reactions: WHCSC
Fickell should be able to get a really good job in the next few years if he stays at Cincy and has success. Going to MSU would be a huge leap of faith that they don't get hammered with sanctions... having Dantonio leave the way he did is a HUGE red flag. Even if Fickel goes there and keeps the status quo and they keep having 7-6, 8-5 type seasons, I think he will be viewed at having reached his peak.

because 1 guy reportedly turned it down that somehow makes MSU a worse job than Cincy?

talk about a thin argument....
I believe 3 now have turned them down. Fickel, Mel Tucker, and Pat Narduzzi. Bielema might be the guy they are on now. Which wouldn't be a bad hire. He had success in the BIG at Wisc

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT