ADVERTISEMENT

Smothers Transferring?

He played a few games as a backup, but was hurt (broken ankle) then got beat out and transferred to Old Dominion.
He started the rest of the year from the point Milton went down and set the AAC Championship Passing record which was 19-27 348 and as a Freshman and had a passer rating of 110 at seasons end. Had he not gotten hurt, he woulda been the starter for UCF in 2019 and was Frost's recruit not Heupel's like you stated.

I am actually surprised it is not finished or announced yet. It is not from lack of effort on our end. Truth is they are trying really hard. Given the recent transfers, the gloves are off from Frost. No more coddling these kids when everybody with even a decent football IQ can see the problems. Look at what we really lost versus what we gained in the transfer market. Truth is we lost two great athletes in McCaffrey and Wandale but they were far from irreplaceable in the positions they want to play. Will the new guys do better? Who knows but we couldn’t ignore the problems anymore. Time for something new. We just need the QB transfer to happen and happen yesterday.

So you are claiming that Frost pushed Wan’Dale and Luke to leave? They were the “problem”?

He started the rest of the year from the point Milton went down and set the AAC Championship Passing record which was 19-27 348 and as a Freshman and had a passer rating of 110 at seasons end. Had he not gotten hurt, he woulda been the starter for UCF in 2019 and was Frost's recruit not Heupel's like you stated.

I said the current QB was a Heupel recruit, which is true.

As far as Mack? A rating of 110 in the AAC? Luke had a rating of 120.4 across 11 games in the B1G and Adrian has 135.7 in 3 years.

Hell, even Vedral is more proven than that kid who ended up at the FCS level, in fact Mack was behind Vedral on the depth chart his first year at UCF.

I said the current QB was a Heupel recruit, which is true.

As far as Mack? A rating of 110 in the AAC? Luke had a rating of 120.4 across 11 games in the B1G and Adrian has 135.7 in 3 years.

Hell, even Vedral is more proven than that kid who ended up at the FCS level, in fact Mack was behind Vedral on the depth chart his first year at UCF.
And Mack only had 3 games and a Championship game and MVP of it.

Last edited:
Not at all. He pushed them to switch positions. They end result was they left. Wandale has delusions of the NFL at WR and McCaffrey thinks he is a D-I starter at QB.

So Frost’s extensive comments last week about keeping Luke at QB, saying that he wouldn’t do to to LM what was done to him (shifted to safety) were all lies?

Reactions: vs540husker
Any QB who doesn’t feel capable of unseating Adrian at this point is not the right one we want here.
For Luke, potentially waiting 4 years hoping to not be passed up by Smothers is an understandable reason to want to leave.

Smothers should stay put.
If he leaves, then you really wonder what Verduzco is doing.... we kind of already do.

Frost should have went hard for a transfer from the jump seeing the lack of QB passing production the last two years. We can’t keep gambling at the most important position on the field.

Has Mario and Frost developed anybody? Think about this. Is AMart any better? Maybe a little, but not much. Did Luke improve? Not in my opinion. Did Vedral really show much? No. So the issue is either recruiting or development or both. I tend to lean to both.

Vedral is proof that our QB development is terrible.

He looks dramatically better as Rutgers starter than he did here.

Um no. He was worse in 2020 than he was in 2019. Worse QB rating, worse YPA, worse completion %, worse YPC.

Also much worse than AM across the board, if you are wondering.

Um no. He was worse in 2020 than he was in 2019. Worse QB rating, worse YPA, worse completion %, worse YPC.

He was worse at QB last year than both AM and LM.

His on-field performance last season would have put him behind AM and LM and ahead of Smothers.

Even got benched at one point in the season for a complete stiff.

There are plenty of things to bag on this staff about. Vedral transferring to Rutgers and sucking is not one of them.

Hey, hey, hey... why you gotta bring facts into this?

I've never said LM or AM is anything more or less than their statistics say they are.

statistically, they were nearly identical in every measure last season.

people acting like one is atrocious while the other isn't are pathetically grasping at straws.
Statistically, they were nearly identical. LM threw half as many passes and had twice as many picks as AM. That is not statistically identical. You could probably argue from a rushing standpoint that the statistics were very similar.

I'm not an advocate for either guy. TBH, LM had his opportunity and unfortunately did not play at the level necessary to take the starting job. Two games is more than enough and more than a lot of guys get so the argument that he wasn't given enough time doesn't hold. That is also plenty of practices reps with #1s.
AM at the very least shows some flashes of capability at times but I agree, not really capable of consistently running the offense. Truth is we don't have the guy we need. I really do believe HCSF sees it that way too. When you don't have the right guy, do you completely dump on all the guys you do have? No, you try and make them better until you can get your guy, whether that is Smothers or someone else.

Luke gets 2 games to prove himself

AM gets 20+

seems like a fair shake
Luke makes good reads and sees open receivers just doesn’t have the arm strength to throw more than 20 yards.

Martinez has the arm strength but not the accuracy. Makes bad reads and hardly ever sees the open receiver.

Both are solid runners but are turnover prone.

Bottom line is we need a solid QB that can quickly go through the progressions, that has the arm strength to deliver with accuracy, and when called on to run knows how to protect the football. We do not currently have that guy. Find that guy or a guy that can simply manage the game and keep the chains moving and our chances of winning go up.

If true, I’m done with College football. i will miss it, but it won’t miss me. This portal shit has lost me. I will spend my measly sports dollars on high school football. And launch my Easy Rider Beluga S with my bride on Pickering Pass this fall. Hoisting a cold frosty beverage to the Gods of longevity. While watching seals, salmon and otters paint my Saturday memories.

ADVERTISEMENT