ADVERTISEMENT

Skill Position Discussion

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
RB's - Wow has this position flipped. I was excited for Ervin, but my opinion is the backs should be:

Stepp - Runs hard, but needs a little better vision. Misses some holes where he could get 20 yards instead of 5.
Rahmir - Actually like the way he hits the hole. Had limited carries, but really liked his burst.
Yant - Just a bruiser, but keeps his feet chugging and got a lot of yards.
Scott - I think he is a lot better than we have given him credit for. I liked how he ran in mop up time as well.
Sevion / Ervin - I was excited for these guys, but very underwhelming. Morrison I feel like is lacking some vision as well and Ervin just seems out of sync. Lot's of football to play though, and if the passing game opens up, maybe they get better as I think these are are two chances at homerun hitters.

I'd also like to see some more 2 back formations. Seem to have a lot of guys that can do some good things here, let's get them on the field

WRs/TE - Hopefully playing some shitty competition can spring these guys forward.

Toure/Martin - Could have a pretty good 1-2 punch here if Adrian can find them. Toure is best guy we've had since Stanley and I think Martin could knock on that door.
Brown - I really like what I see from him in the limited amount of play. Kid is fast, has good acceleration, has the moves and has shown pretty good hands including a great grab in traffic that about resulted in a score
Allen - Keep him involved and hopefully Travis V. can create some problems as well
Manning - Keep getting him involved. Has caught everything thrown his way and has been open with AM missing him. Also, with that size, throw him the rock in man coverage.

Others - Where is Nixon? He looked decent in the spring game. Falck and Liewver just aren't big time WR's, but could be nice targets if we spread it out. Quit worrying about how well these guys block and instead get guys in the game that are going to make plays. I'm sorry Wyatt is just not that guy.

stepp seems good, and the other had their pluses...your right about that feild vision thing...
I seen huge open areas on one side or the other during plays, I guess don't just run north and south if it's into that back of your blocker...unless it's short yardage...

Reactions: leodisflowers
RB's - Wow has this position flipped. I was excited for Ervin, but my opinion is the backs should be:

Stepp - Runs hard, but needs a little better vision. Misses some holes where he could get 20 yards instead of 5.
Rahmir - Actually like the way he hits the hole. Had limited carries, but really liked his burst.
Scott - I think he is a lot better than we have given him credit for. I liked how he ran in mop up time as well.
Sevion / Ervin - I was excited for these guys, but very underwhelming. Morrison I feel like is lacking some vision as well and Ervin just seems out of sync. Lot's of football to play though, and if the passing game opens up, maybe they get better as I think these are are two chances at homerun hitters.

I'd also like to see some more 2 back formations. Seem to have a lot of guys that can do some good things here, let's get them on the field

WRs/TE - Hopefully playing some shitty competition can spring these guys forward.

Toure/Martin - Could have a pretty good 1-2 punch here if Adrian can find them. Toure is best guy we've had since Stanley and I think Martin could knock on that door.
Brown - I really like what I see from him in the limited amount of play. Kid is fast, has good acceleration, has the moves and has shown pretty good hands including a great grab in traffic that about resulted in a score
Allen - Keep him involved and hopefully Travis V. can create some problems as well
Manning - Keep getting him involved. Has caught everything thrown his way and has been open with AM missing him. Also, with that size, throw him the rock in man coverage.

Others - Where is Nixon? He looked decent in the spring game. Falck and Liewver just aren't big time WR's, but could be nice targets if we spread it out. Quit worrying about how well these guys block and instead get guys in the game that are going to make plays. I'm sorry Wyatt is just not that guy.
Forgetting Betts at WR who needs to go out and earn his high star ranking.
RB is also hard to judge after OL was not good against IL and our deficit for us into a passing game.
The young guys need to hold up in pass blocking.

The Alante Brown almost catch may be my favorite play of the season. That was an incredible effort (almost getting his foot down), and it was something we don’t do enough which is throw it up and let our WR go get it.

I completely agree on rbs and nearly started a thread about it. Why we're still listing Ervin as starter is beyond me. Stepp is the type of back you need when your oline can't destroy three line in front of them. Home run that's are great, but I'd rather have a consistent ground pound game. Stepp and Yant give us the best shot at that.

Yant hasn’t learned to run like a running back yet. He runs into the hole and turns his back so he doesn’t get hit head on. He moves the pile, but he’s never gonna get more than 5 yards because he can’t run backwards!

Yant hasn’t learned to run like a running back yet. He runs into the hole and turns his back so he doesn’t get hit head on. He moves the pile, but he’s never gonna get more than 5 yards because he can’t run backwards!
5 ypc average? Who wouldn't take that?!

Reactions: GaRed
I never said he would average 5 ypc. His longest runs will be 5 yards. His YPC will be around 2
I'm pretty sure it was 5 for the handful of carries he had in that game though. Just against Fordham, but I'd like to see what he could do against a real defense

The Alante Brown almost catch may be my favorite play of the season. That was an incredible effort (almost getting his foot down), and it was something we don’t do enough which is throw it up and let our WR go get it.
I agree, I also thought it was Smother's best pass of the day. And why isn't Brown in the conversation for punt returner? He had a reception where he stutter stepped and made the first man miss, then looked quick and elusive as he headed upfield - just what you want to see from a return guy.

It looks to me like Stepp should be starting.

Ervin Jr is just a true freshman.. he just needs time.

I agree that Yant needs some development work, but I like having him getting some touches. Super excited about his potential down the road. Not as big a fan on Scott and Rahmir.. just too small at that position for my taste.

Good to see Sevion have a little bit of success too. He needs reps as well.

I thought the wideouts showed some flashes as well as the tight end position.

Still concerned about special teams and the offensive line.

Not confident in the backup QB position because that was a cupcake team in the 4th qtr.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I agree, I also thought it was Smother's best pass of the day. And why isn't Brown in the conversation for punt returner? He had a reception where he stutter stepped and made the first man miss, then looked quick and elusive as he headed upfield - just what you want to see from a return guy.
YES! Seems like a natural return man.
Could just be tracking balls and securing w/ consistency?

Year 4 and Frost has yet to utilize Allen's 6'9 height! Why run a 5'6 scat back up the middle near the goal line?? Crazy that Frost refuses to use his players the right way.

I actually liked some of the burst I've seen from Sevion. I saw enough of Rahmir last year to be very hesitant about him. Ervin is very young, just needs time to come along. He should be getting carries, but he shouldn't be starting at the moment. My order would be Stepp, Sevion, Scott, then Ervin/Yant/Rahmir.

Receivers I would say Toure will probably be go to guy who can get reliable yardage. I think Manning is the best of the bunch and will be the big play guy. Then I like Alante Brown, no idea why this guy can't see reliable minutes. Then I'll go with Martin, and throw Liewer/Falck/Nixon/Betts in at the end.

I like yant but he runs to straight up he’ll get killed in the big 10 unless he adjusts his running style

It seems are running backs are running right at the first defender they see, specifically Gabe trying to bulldoze. We need some one like Ameer. It’s pry just that our o-line sucks tho

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT