ADVERTISEMENT

Sker's 8 point dog tonight at Penn St

Wouldn't go that far, but this was a real missed opportunity. Great chance to put the Jordy drama on the back burner and gain some confidence going forward - and it goes right down the crapper.
Not having Jordy in the paint hurt us tonight IMO but I would have played Okeke more too.

No. I get tired of reading a thread on a home team fan forum to only read bitching and moaning. It’s so rare to hear anyone actually get excited for this team. It must be a miserable way of living life.

no one's holding a gun to your head

We say this every single year. Our offensive flow down the stretch was beyond brutal. Whether that was Miles or our players panicking I don’t know. Either way...that’s a type of loss that separates the contenders and the pretenders. Next two at home need to be wins.

For sure but for Miles to get in the NCAA this was one of those must wins on the road.

No. I get tired of reading a thread on a home team fan forum to only read bitching and moaning. It’s so rare to hear anyone actually get excited for this team. It must be a miserable way of living life.
I got pretty excited when I sensed that a comeback was possible, which was with about 8-9 minutes left. Sorry if my comments didn't capture the Johnny SuperFan Seal of Approval.

Hate to break it to you, but I just comment on what I see happening on the floor. Impossible as it may be to believe, your approval doesn't really enter into it.

We say this every single year. Our offensive flow down the stretch was beyond brutal. Whether that was Miles or our players panicking I don’t know. Either way...that’s a type of loss that separates the contenders and the pretenders. Next two at home need to be wins.
I think it's a mental thing. Not really sure if it's on Miles or not. No idea. Helluva comeback from what 15 down at one time in the 2nd half? Too bad we dug ourselves such a big hole in the 1st half. PSU was unconscious from 3 in that 1st half but we just stunk from the floor.

I can guarantee you that Miles didn't "coach" Glynn to take a step back 30 footer instead of trying to drive and dish..... IF he had made he was a hero. Since he didn't it's on Miles. Drive and dish would have been nice instead of 2 guarded 30 footers.

Good coaching makes players know they don’t take dipsh!t shots like that.

Or is the only job of the coach to call plays and set rotations?

Reactions: scarletred
I got pretty excited when I sensed that a comeback was possible, which was with about 8-9 minutes left. Sorry if my comments didn't capture the Johnny SuperFan Seal of Approval.

Hate to break it to you, but I just comment on what I see happening on the floor. Impossible as it may be to believe, your approval doesn't really enter into it.
I
Itsall good. You weren't off the deep end like some tend to do. I think he's commenting on a poster or two early in the thread that want a coach fired halfway through the 1st half when we're shooting 10% from the field on mostly wide open shots. We played HORRIBLY for 3/4ths of this game and still should have won it at the end probably. Last year this would have been a 20 point loss. HAVE to string together some wins now.

Good coaching makes players know they don’t take dipsh!t shots like that.

Or is the only job of the coach to call plays and set rotations?
Glynn gonna Glynn and that's the way he plays. Always has. Who you gonna put in instead of him? IF he had made it you would have been screaming what a great shot it was..so would have I. The play design isn't for a 30 footer but give a little credit to the D. Personally I would have driven it and forced them to foul me but that's just me. Glynn wanted to end it right there and he could have.

Wouldn't go that far, but this was a real missed opportunity. Great chance to put the Jordy drama on the back burner and gain some confidence going forward - and it goes right down the crapper.
But how much longer do you give him? Yes, we need to let the season play out. An NCAA bid is what everyone wants, but anything short of an NIT bid is unacceptable.

But how much longer do you give him? Yes, we need to let the season play out. An NCAA bid is what everyone wants, but anything short of an NIT bid is unacceptable.

You have to give him until his players start making shots and they also learn how to call plays and execute themselves at the end of games.

NIT and he keeps his job whether any of us like it or not...

Too much payoff in the football department is the reason.

Reactions: TheNewNU
You have to give him until his players start making shots and they also learn how to call plays and execute themselves at the end of games.
IF I'm a player in the game at the end of the game I'm MAD AT MYSELF for not getting it done. In those late game situations you can draw up or call all the plays you want but the bottom line is that you have to make a play. Great players make the play regardless of what's called. Glynn knows he should have put that ball on the floor and tried to get to the line or dish to somebody else for an open shot...but he didn't.

If that's the case, this team has 12 games left to figure it out. Is there time? Yes, I believe so. If they don't, is everyone okay with Miles coming back for a 6th season?

to be fair, they executed a hell of a play to tie it in OT.
Same play they've run in that situation several other times. One has to think that Penn State had seen that one and it still worked. They obviously have seen that high screen and roll for Glynn...that didn't work although he got a reasonably open shot off.:(

I've said all season that a middle-or-better finish in the Big Ten needs to happen this year, or Miles's time is done. If that can't be achieved in a year in which the conference is pretty soft, it's time to move on.

Last night's loss doesn't have to doom the season, as there are plenty of winnable games coming up. But an avoidable loss and more transfer drama certainly has a familiar ring to it. Maybe this is finally the year Tweetin' Timmy pulls it together and doesn't allow the season to completely circle the drain.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Where would Miles be without Kenya Hunter? He's the one that's brought in all the talent. Yet Miles has done nothing with it.

Time for a more exciting brand of basketball to play to the strengths of our players. Dan Hurley, Eric Musselman, or T.J. Otzelberger - I'd take any of these guys. Their teams know how to score.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Where would Miles be without Kenya Hunter? He's the one that's brought in all the talent. Yet Miles has done nothing with it.

Time for a more exciting brand of basketball to play to the strengths of our players. Dan Hurley, Eric Musselman, or T.J. Otzelberger - I'd take any of these guys. Their teams know how to score.
They aren't coming to NU. NU has been a career dead end for every basketball head coach we've had...ever.

They aren't coming to NU. NU has been a career dead end for every basketball head coach we've had...ever.
Let me see if I grasp this correctly: T.J. Otzelberger is such a smashing success that he would turn down the Nebraska job?

Let me see if I grasp this correctly: T.J. Otzelberger is such a smashing success that he would turn down the Nebraska job?
maybe. He certainly wouldn't warrant throwing millions at to see if he could get er done. I would rather raid a young assistant from a successful program than hire a middling head coach personally. Basketball is a way different animal than running a football program.

I would rather raid a young assistant from a successful program than hire a middling head coach personally.

Otzelberger already was that guy. He recruited all of the talent to Iowa State because Hoiberg hated recruiting. It was enough talent to win the Big 12 tourney 3 out of 4 years over KU. His teams know how to score. He also only makes $300k at SDSU. Anyone would consider a 6-7x salary increase. And if he could bring Mike Daum with him as a grad transfer, we'd be a Top 25 team on Day One.

maybe. He certainly wouldn't warrant throwing millions at to see if he could get er done. I would rather raid a young assistant from a successful program than hire a middling head coach personally. Basketball is a way different animal than running a football program.
I didn't say NU should hire Otzelberger - that's an entirely different argument. I was questioning whether you seriously thought he was beyond Nebraska's reach, or if this was just part of the narrative that makes NU basketball the worst job in the history of the universe, and therefore Miles should keep it forever and ever and ever regardless of the results on the court. Sure looks like I got my answer.

Considering most guys playing the most minutes all have NCAA tournament experience - including a few that have made deep runs - going to the NIT seems like a pitiful waste of time.

i dont remember anybody thinking we would make the tourney before the season.

i dont remember anybody thinking we would make the tourney before the season.
I don't think Miles should get sacked for not making the tournament, but he needs to finish middle-or-better in the conference. In his sixth year, a coach shouldn't be rewarded for "exceeding expectations" just because his team was picked to finish 13th in a 14-team league.

i agree. i think a lot of the higher expectations is based on the b10 being such garbage.

Terrible 3 point shot when down by just 1 point with 20 some seconds to go in OT. That was not running an offensive set like the made 3 pointers few seconds before. It was throwing up a hope and prayer. Awful play.

Reactions: scarletred
Best roster we have had in his entire tenure. Down year for the B10.

NCAA or you're fired.
If NU finishes, say, 5th or 6th in the Big Ten and misses the tournament, I don't see Miles getting fired. I won't shed any tears if it happens, but if that's how the season plays out I think he's back next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes but they could also sign a $20 million dollar contract. One of those and you're set for life financially.

If NU finishes, say, 5th or 6th in the Big Ten and misses the tournament, I don't see Miles getting fired. I won't shed any tears if it happens, but if that's how the season plays out I think he's back next year.

That's not what Hank Bounds told me.

ADVERTISEMENT