ADVERTISEMENT

Size on DL...

Finally have some big boys who can go toe to toe with the maulers on Wisconsin and other Big 10 O lines. Davis twins, Daniels brothers, Darrion in particular is huge. Deontre Thomas and Stille have put on good weight. And Alex Davis also looked like a specimen. Hope he can put it together this year.
I did expect them to be in the backfield more than they were. There were a few twists but not much exotic defense....by design. I am going to rewatch it but I was expecting more from both red ol and DL than I saw. Not being critical but that was my gut when I watched it live

Finally have some big boys who can go toe to toe with the maulers on Wisconsin and other Big 10 O lines. Davis twins, Daniels brothers, Darrion in particular is huge. Deontre Thomas and Stille have put on good weight. And Alex Davis also looked like a specimen. Hope he can put it together this year.

Agree, but I was really impressed with Casey Rogers, thought he had good athleticism. Not as big and strong as the starters, but more athletic. Another year with Duvall will work.

Makes it hard to assess lots of things when the it is only "touch" on the QBs. Looked better than last year for sure, to me, but time will tell.

Reactions: spinner4
I did expect them to be in the backfield more than they were. There were a few twists but not much exotic defense....by design. I am going to rewatch it but I was expecting more from both red ol and DL than I saw. Not being critical but that was my gut when I watched it live

The defensive coaches aren't going to design anything exotic in a live scrimmage.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
Love that the fans made Memorial the third largest city in Nebraska for a scrimmage, if I lived in Lincoln I would’ve gone but I’m not sure I would’ve put gas in my car for a drive instead of watching it on TV. It was the scrimmage with the scoreboard and Refs. Fun for the fans and a reward for the players. The big crowd, gaggle of alums, incoming players and recruits speaks to the momentum of the program.

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Was thinking the same. Probably the biggest pound for pound DL we’ve had since 2009 with Suh and Crick, and maybe even longer than that.

Reactions: SoFL Husker

I kind of thought that too, but then I remembered, 1. They intentionally kept it vanilla. 2. The last thing anyone wants (especially coaches) is for someone to get hurt during spring game. So I’m guessing a subtle message to the Team was go hard but let’s not get anyone hurt. And naturally you’re not going to go as hard against your own team. Therefore physicality was less than what I expect to see against a true opponent. 3. As someone mentioned, difficult to gauge when QBs are touch only.

Fundamentally they were sound and disciplined, they got some full speed simulated game reps/situations. That’s about all you can ask for. Ultimately I think the DL will be much improved over last season.

I kind of thought that too, but then I remembered, 1. They intentionally kept it vanilla. 2. The last thing anyone wants (especially coaches) is for someone to get hurt during spring game. So I’m guessing a subtle message to the Team was go hard but let’s not get anyone hurt. And naturally you’re not going to go as hard against your own team. Therefore physicality was less than what I expect to see against a true opponent. 3. As someone mentioned, difficult to gauge when QBs are touch only.

Fundamentally they were sound and disciplined, they got some full speed simulated game reps/situations. That’s about all you can ask for. Ultimately I think the DL will be much improved over last season.
One play, someone drove big Daniels 2 yards off the ball and moved him from the right side of the line to the left. Maybe there was a little help IF be was twisting but it didn't look good. Think it was in the first qtr.

It was a good day. No injuries I believe.

Watching spring game on DVR. Granted the red D wasn't going against the#1 OL, but older Daniels can't be handled one on one. Was double teamed and held a lot. He has some quickness for a big dude

Reactions: SOHusker11
One play, someone drove big Daniels 2 yards off the ball and moved him from the right side of the line to the left. Maybe there was a little help IF be was twisting but it didn't look good. Think it was in the first qtr.

It was a good day. No injuries I believe.

I think I read that Schicterman did that. One of the OL guys got him twice. And that was notable because big Daniels was pretty damn disruptive out there.

Reactions: huskerfan66
On another front, Amir Abdullah either needs to bone up on Nebraska football before he does these broadcasts, or he just needs to stop doing them. I didn't watch the first half of the spring game, and am starting to watch it now, and within the first few minutes of the broadcast...he calls memorial stadium the largest city in Nebraska, and calls the Davis twins the "Khalils." Loved the guy on the field, but c'mon, AA, get your sh*t together.

Reactions: RedSea
On another front, Amir Abdullah either needs to bone up on Nebraska football before he does these broadcasts, or he just needs to stop doing them. I didn't watch the first half of the spring game, and am starting to watch it now, and within the first few minutes of the broadcast...he calls memorial stadium the largest city in Nebraska, and calls the Davis twins the "Khalils." Loved the guy on the field, but c'mon, AA, get your sh*t together.
Khalils. Haha. I heard a couple other doozies and hit mute.

Was funny when two of those big guys up front double teamed the center and drove him about 6-7 yards back in a hurry. That play went to hell in a hurry. Hopefully that isn’t a common theme on pur offwnsive line this season, would be better if it was a common theme on the DL..

I actually thought the red team defense was in the back field constantly. Bunch and Mccaffery were having to scramble out of the pocket almost every play it seemed like. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT